Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

"sees sex kick"

"insert dirty line because the words 'sex' and 'kick' are being used together"

Yeah. That is not what i thought it meant either.The terms people come up with. 

Because it's Zelda-related, and it makes for a good picture? It's not like it's the only picture on a character's page where the character isn't front-and-center in the shot.

I think you're just grasping at straws in all honesty. Every assist trophy has been revealed as an assist trophy from the beginning and no assist trophy is specifically featured on a character's page.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think you're just grasping at straws in all honesty. Every assist trophy has been revealed as an assist trophy from the beginning and no assist trophy is specifically featured on a character's page.

once again, perhaps its a puppet character? like Luma

I don't think it's grasping at straws to not assume that Zelda has gotten so significant a reworking and without it being mentioned at all based on one screenshot that could be any number of things.

Sakurai likes interesting pictures. It's not unusual for him to set up a picture to imply things that are beyond the mechanics of the game, just because it's amusing. The picture is composed to make it look like Zelda is commanding the phantom knight, but that's not enough to prove that she is, or that it has any functional relationship to her.

If I turn out to be wrong, then I'll be wrong, but I'm not going to act like it's obvious when it isn't.

once again, perhaps its a puppet character? like Luma

You-ve-got-that-wrong-anime-debate-35260

Zelda is doing the same pose in this picture

screen-9.jpg

So it could just be a assist trophy.

An assist trophy with Zelda's own colours? Doubtful. They'd just use a generic blue/grey one if it were its own thing.

sm_i_13147.jpg

Phantom.png

Anyways, I miss seeing some pics of sonic and hopefully he can give us a good view of windy hill. I hope its not one of those stages were you can walk off and die.

An assist trophy with Zelda's own colours? Doubtful. They'd just use a generic blue/grey one if it were its own thing.

sm_i_13147.jpg

Phantom.png

Not to mention the pink Phantom literally is Princess Zelda, having an assist trophy of an already playable character? Ok then.

Not only that, but why would they intentionally de-chibify and change the Phantom's artstyle to match more realistic shape and colour if it wasn't connected to Zelda's moveset at all?

Like if it was just an Assist Trophy it would have just been chibi and toon-coloured like Toon Link? But?? It's not???

Unless they specifically intend it to be Spirit Tracks Zelda controlling a phantom, rather than a generic enemy phantom. And I would say the former is more worthy of being an AT than the latter.

Not to mention the pink Phantom literally is Princess Zelda, having an assist trophy of an already playable character? Ok then.

Didn't stop them from making two playable Links. They're related characters, but they are not quite the same character. And what sense does it make for Zelda to summon/turn into an entirely different Zelda? Especially such an odd choice as Spirit Tracks Zelda-in-a-phantom? I could maybe buy her summoning a generic knight, but why this?

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't stop them from making two playable Links. They're related characters, but they are not quite the same character. And what sense does it make for Zelda to summon/turn into an entirely different Zelda? Especially such an odd choice as Spirit Tracks Zelda-in-a-phantom? I could maybe buy her summoning a generic knight, but why this?

What sense does it make for Young Link to use Fire Arrows? Adult Link to use Boomerang? Zelda to use goddess spells? Twilight Princess Zelda to become Shiek? The time period their design is based on doesn't matter, they borrow moves from the history of the series regardless. Zelda isn't just summoning the Phantom, she's controlling it with her magic which is why its colouring is based on her Phantom.

And again, if it was an Assist Trophy why would they bother changing the body shape and colouring to make it more realistic? Why not keep it toon or chibi if it had nothing to do with a realistic moveset? They don't make other cartoony characters more realistic in their Assist Trophies?

Because its smash brothers that's why she can do it. Lol

Who knows what they'll do with this phantom. I can see it being her sideB.

What sense does it make for Young Link to use Fire Arrows?
Majora's Mask.

Adult Link to use Boomerang?
It's a common Zelda item that OoT Link did have even if he arbitrarily couldn't use it as an adult.

Zelda to use goddess spells?
Reference to OoT, the game her design came from in Melee.

Twilight Princess Zelda to become Shiek?
Mechanical carryover from Melee.

And again, if it was an Assist Trophy why would they bother changing the body shape and colouring to make it more realistic? Why not keep it toon or chibi if it had nothing to do with a realistic moveset? They don't make other cartoony characters more realistic in their Assist Trophies?
Who fuckin' knows why they decided to make it look a little different. But I don't for even a second believe that a difference in proportions and art style is absolute proof, especially not of something as out there as remotely controlling a suit of armor.

Derp how could I forget fire arrows in Majora's Mask

Mechanical carryover from Melee.

The fact that that's the only reason to keep goddess spells and sheik is a bit straw-graspy, they have absolutely nothing to do with TP, the design doesn't matter, the design has no direct influence on their moves. Look at Ganondorf's whole frickin moveset.

Who fuckin' knows why they decided to make it look a little different. But I don't for even a second believe that a difference in proportions and art style is absolute proof, especially not of something as out there as remotely controlling a suit of armor.

Smash Bros is no stranger to "out there" at all, if it sounds like a good move idea that takes inspiration from more recent and relevant Zelda games then why the heck not? I wouldn't be at all surprised to see TP Zelda reference SS Zelda in some way too.

The fact that that's the only reason to keep goddess spells and sheik is a bit straw-graspy, they have absolutely nothing to do with TP, the design doesn't matter, the design has no direct influence on their moves. Look at Ganondorf's whole frickin moveset.

The thing is, in my estimation, they do tend to try to build the characters' moveset around their appearance. Smash 64 had an OoT-ish Link, so he used OoT items (boomerang included, even if adult OoT Link technically "can't" use it). Melee introduced OoT Zelda, who had OoT spells and transformed into Sheik as she did in OoT. Gdorf is an exception since they made him a clone in his introduction.

Brawl updated the Zelda characters to their TP designs, but, they weren't free to build the characters entirely around TP because they already had movesets, and fans that were familiar with those movesets. Ganondorf didn't get a sword, not because Sakurai hates him and also all Zelda fans, but because he had to take into account the people who liked Ganondorf as the heavier C Falcon clone he was in Melee. Granted, there were some compromises made (changing the boomerang to the gale boomerang), but there's a real conflict here.

And now you're telling me, the explanation that I should take as fact or at least highly likely, is that they've flipped the bird to both Zelda's existing moveset and her current design, in favor of an ability that to my knowledge no Zelda has ever had, as an oblique reference to a third Zelda entirely, based on nothing but a staged picture.

I do not find that to be reasonable.

And now you're telling me, the explanation that I should take as fact or at least highly likely, is that they've flipped the bird to both Zelda's existing moveset and her current design, in favor of an ability that to my knowledge no Zelda has ever had, as an oblique reference to a third Zelda entirely, based on nothing but a staged picture.

I do not find that to be reasonable.

It's a reference to Spirit Tracks Zelda, though she possesed Phantom armour as opposed to her being able to summon Phantoms.  We know it's meant to show her armour because it's pink hue (normal Phantoms are grey).  Personally I feel that if it were an AT they would have opted for the regular grey Phantom.    

Them completely changing Zelda's design and/or moveset isn't really that unreasonable or unlikely.  Much like Bowser (a character who received a complete redesign) Zelda was a pretty ineffective character in both Melee and Brawl.  However, unlike Bowser we cannot be conclusive if she's receiving a major overhaul or just had some new tools here and there because not only have we not seen her at all in motion, but the screenshots we've seen offer very little on her moveset.

• Thumbs Up 3

OK, now he's just screwing with us.

1601044_724789114206127_65371244_n.jpg

Pic of the day. You can find this statue of the Goddess of Light in one of the stages. She's watching over the arena.

This could be the Overworld from the original Kid Icarus.

• Thumbs Up 8

Why would they replace Shiek, a popular, if irrelevant(if you're ignoring OOT3D), Zelda character, with a Phantom, a mechanic from a relatively minor game from the Toon games, something Sakurai has shown he considers to be their own entity entirely? The three assist trophies that have been revealed so far do not prove a thing, especially when both this game and Brawl have both hinted at elements long before their official reveal. But no, they couldn't possibly reveal THIS element because arbitrary rules I made up on the spot

• Thumbs Up 1

Don’t worry guys, because when Palutena joins the battle, Alfonzo is in charge of watching over the arena. Alfonzo: “Leave it to me!”

• Thumbs Up 8

tumblr_n05mbm6FDR1sgbu3ro1_500.gif

This is how I'm imagining Sakurai right now.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm not sure why everyone thinks I'm saying the Phantom will change her whole moveset or replace Sheik. I literally think it's just one move to reference ST. Geez.

THINGS ARE GETTING INTERESTING.

But no Nintendo Direct announcement today? Well dang. Guess I was wrong about that.

Still, for now what we can do is, can anyone see any design similarities between this statue of Palutena and the leaked 3DS model? Like the star on her chain or something?

I'm not sure why everyone thinks I'm saying the Phantom will change her whole moveset or replace Sheik. I literally think it's just one move to reference ST. Geez.

THINGS ARE GETTING INTERESTING.

But no Nintendo Direct announcement today? Well dang. Guess I was wrong about that.

Still, for now what we can do is, can anyone see any design similarities between this statue of Palutena and the leaked 3DS model? Like the star on her chain or something?

I feel like there will be no Direct this month, which seems odd.

The Phantom thing would work better as a assist trophy, IN THE 3DS VERSION :D