Awoo.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Definitely one of my most hyped titles of 2014. I still play the Wii Version of Donkey Kong Returns even now, and this is looking like more and better.

Love that intro, and I'm very interested in the Vikings and the new villains. Haven't played the game, but I'm already more interested in them than the Tikis by a country mile.

All over the fucking screen goddamn someone help me clean this mess

Dude, you have got to stop drinking milk in front of your computer screen.

• Thumbs Up 2

I recently got DKC Returns for the 3DS. I forgot how hard it is later in the game, and seeing interviews, this is going to be even harder then Returns. Im actually excited for a good challenging 2D platformer. All the "New" Mario Brothers sadly let me down in terms of how quickly I beat them...

• Thumbs Up 1

Small update, but the Japanese Amazon page for this has added this GORGEOUS new screen:882266_591263737596146_77673332_o_zps992Holy crap, this is going to look AMAZING on a TV. Also, DAT BEARD SILHOUETTE.

Sweet my favorite part if DKCR is back

• 3 weeks later...

BANANA SLAMMA  

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97053359&postcount=13

The article describes some of the first parts of the game. 
It says that most levels take around 10 minutes to complete on your first attempt.
Stage 3-3 Frantic Field is set against a hurricane, with small tornadoes, and lightning as obstacles. Eventually you reach the eye of the storm.
The stage after is set in a forest, with sections on fire due to the previous levels lightning. You need to use watery fruit to put out vine fires in order to progress.
It says there are tag barrels ala Donkey Kong 64, to switch between Kongs. It may just mean the DK barrels though.
There are multiple routes to take in levels.
There are three secret levels per world.
Time Attack returns, but you can select which character's DK barrels will appear.
Hot damn, players can upload times and full replays to show friends, and to help other players improve their own times.
There seems to be more emphasis on the background, which is constantly moving, which makes the world feel alive, and sometimes provides hints to what you're going to encounter next.

There is an interview with Michael Kelbaugh, and Kensuke Tanabe.
When asked if there was anything the felt was missing from the game Tanabe said that he wishes they could have done more with the animal buddies.
He also mentions that there is something from A Link to the Past that he want to do, couldn't, and used it in Link's Awakening instead. Which was the ending of LA when the egg opens.
Kelnaugh mentions three of his favourite levels; 6-6 Cliffside Slide, "like jumping right into the middle of an action movie", it's a silhouette level. 4-4 Irate Eight, and underwater level which sounds like the giant octopus from DKCR is back. 3-3 Frantic Fields, which is challenging, but with a bit of comedy.
Tanabe mentions that World 4 is made of only underwater levels. 
He also mentions that he likes 4-4, and 3-6 Cannon Canyon, because of the dynamic 3D camera movement.
Kelbaugh said that the animation quality is improved over DKCR, and with David Wise, Kenji Yamamoto, and Scott Petersen, they have an amazing soundtrack, and special effects effort.
Tanabe was surprise that so few people in DKCR didn't want to use the Super Guide once it appeared. He said that the difficulty of TF hasn't been lowered, but that they have added some features that will give casual players an easier time. (Probably the items in Funky's shop, which I think are carried over from DKCR3D.)
They both say that the difficulty hasn't been lowered, but the new items, and Kong POW allow you to change the difficulty of the levels somewhat.
Miyamoto told Retro, when first working on DKCR: "This is my baby. Don't mess it up."
Kelbaugh and Tanabe both worked on DKC, with Tanabe on the Japanese localisation, but never met.
Ten years later Tanabe met Kelbaugh, when he became president of Retro. He saw that Kelbaugh had a DKC jacket, and they learned that they both worked on DKC. 
A few years after that they both started on DKCR, so Michael gave DKCR the codename F8 - fate.
Retro was working on Mario Kart 7, and TF at the same time.
Tanabe, and his team at SPD is Retro's primary contact at Nintendo, but the games are a collaborative effort throughout Nintendo.
If they found themselves on Kong Island Kelbaugh would team up with Diddy, and Tanabe with Donkey Kong, so that he could be carried around.
So if they wish they could do more with the animal buddies... then that implies there are animal buddies.
  • Thumbs Up 1

So if they wish they could do more with the animal buddies... then that implies there are animal buddies.

Sounds to me as if they're basically the same as in Returns.

Not sure if anyone's pointed this out before, but just in case...

Pre-order Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze from GAME and get a free bonus keyring

widget_DKC_TropicalFreeze.jpg

Needs moar Cranky Kong!

Yeah, no thanks. Gotten real bored of these meagre pre-order bonuses for paying through the nose at GAME which you don't always get given anyway. I went through a load of shit trying to get the 3DW sleeve and keyring that should have come with my pre-order to no avail.

and is, once again, the only animal helper.

Aye, indeed.

Here's a GameXplain preview of the first 4 hours of the game, with a few interesting new details:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpeoJEIjg0Q

- Diddy/Dixie/Cranky have different abilities underwater as well as in normal levels

- you can buy collectible figures from Funky Kong's shop, similar to trophies in Smash Bros

- some levels contain alternate exits leading to secret levels, like in Super Mario World

Well I'm definitely buying this game still haven't beaten returns yet(why did my Wii have to break?)

World 2-4: Sawmill Thrill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVuLoVfs280

World 3-1: Grassland Grove

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDkjrYMx4Xo

I must say, I like how you get to choose which Kong you get from a DK barrel. I was under the assumption that they'd only be available in certain areas (i.e. Diddy/Dixie/Cranky barrels would be separate items) but the fact you can basically pick any partner at any point is going to add a lot of depth and replayability to the level design.

We got about a month left,  this is the last bit of news for me until I play this game. although its sad that its just one animal, I think this game will be good with just the rhino, the level design in this game looks sweet. especially the tornado one.

GODDAMN!!!! The music was definitely the highlight of the videos, especially World 3-1. David Wise still pulls it off after all of these years.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wasn't expecting this but according to the Destructoid preview apparently Retro removed the super guide for this game.

One of the changes that I'm personally most pleased with in this latest iteration is the complete removal of the Super Guide, so players can collectively say goodbye to Professor Chops, the checkpoint pig popping up and annoyingly waving a flag to signal that you suck as a videogamer.

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-269114.phtml

• Thumbs Up 1

Buncha Sites played the game today, and got a lotta new details.
Some of this was stated on the last page, some is new.

Diddy can still hover with his jetpack
- Dixie's hair spin allows you to gain a little bit of altitude
- Diddy can use his jetpack underwater for a burst of speed
- Dixie uses her hair underwater as a propeller
- Cranky swings his cane underwater to take out enemies
- Rambi is the only animal buddy to appear in the game
- navigate platforms spinning on windmills in Windmill Hill
- Grassland Grove has dancing trees you have to jump around/on
- Twilight Terror has you dodging fishing nets and giant sharks while riding a rocket barrel
- on average, levels take about 4 minutes each
- Irate Eight has you being chased by a giant octopus that destroys the scenery as you progress
- he'll grab at you with his arms and even attack with ink squirts
- Sawmill Thrill takes you through a sawmill where live saws carve out a path for your minecart
- this level transitions to a log-flume level before changing back to a minecart portion where a giant saw blade chases you

Frantic Field has you dealing with tornadoes that toss you all over the place
- eventually you'll enter a big tornado and have to travel via lad masses ripped from the ground, now floating in the air
- Funky Kong mans the Fly and Buy item shop for items, one-ups and more
- you can also use the Capsule Toy Machine to get collectible in-game figurines of enemies and characters you've come across
- you can then view these figurines as 3D models
- some levels feature alternate exists that take you to secret levels
- time attack records your best time and the character you played as for the online leaderboard

- you can also upload videos of your best runs for others to see
- hard mode included, but it will differ from hard mode in the last game
- levels and set-pieces encountered in the first 4 worlds include mangrove forests, alpine highlands, african savannahs, and deep seas
- secrets include puzzle pieces, collectible letters, bonus rooms, concealed coins, alternate exits , and scores of bananas
- hidden in the game is a rendering of Samus Aran’s Gunship
- one silhouette stage will temporarily hide your view of Donkey Kong due to foliage in the foreground
- at one point in this stage, you can line up the foliage to form a star shape, which rewards you with a bonus
- music includes Lion King-inspired choral songs over the savannah to Teutonic horns integrated into the Germanic Autumn Heights area
- zipline stages are similar in mechanics to minecart stages
- one boss battle includes a giant anthropomorphic viking seal sliding on his belly
- another boss battle has you taking on a sorcerous owl
- the owl has seven unique attacks, which he'll dish out over three arenas

Names of the first four worlds and its' levels are in the spoiler

Lost Mangroves

1-1 Mangrove Cove

1-2 Shipwreck Shore

1-3 Canopy Chaos

1-B Busted Bayou

1-4 Trunk Twister

1-Boss Big Top Bop

Autumn Heights

2-1 Windmill Hills

2-2 Mountain Mania

2-3 Horn Top Hop

2-4 Sawmill Thrill

2-5 Alpine Incline

2-6 Wing Ding

2-Boss Mountaintop Tussle

Bright Savannah

3-1 Grassland Grove

3-2 Baobab Bonanza

3-3 Frantic Fields

3-4 Scorch 'N' Torch

3-5 Twilight Terror

3-6 Cannon Canyon

3-Boss (SPOILERED)

Sea Breeze Cove

4-1 Deep Keep

4-2 High Tide Ride

4-3 Amiss Abyss

4-4 Irate Eight

Even MORE info

- Global Top Rank allows you to to view top records from around the world
- Global Player Rank shows records surrounding your current rank
- Friends Top Rank lists the rankings of those on your friend list
- post one replay video per level
- you can update this video only when you beat your best time on a level
- ranking screen shows a medal, which is awarded based on your time
- camera icon indicates whether a viewable replay is available
- heart icon shows that the stage was cleared without taking damage
- Kong buddy icon tells you which buddy was used in a course

Some Story details and...oh? Oh!

storyline details:

Donkey Kong and family are enjoying his birthday when a cold breeze from the north arrives, heralding the arrival of sea lions and other arctic marine animals wearing Nordic equipment, known as the "Snomads."

- Super Guide has been removed
- green balloon saves you from pitfalls at opportune moments
- blue balloon helps you breathe underwater for longer
- grabbing onto things requires holding onto the GamePad triggers while using the joystick and jump button
- you can also play via Wiimote by itself, Wiimote and Nunchuk combo or Wii U Pro Controller

This ain't no baby game
This just became a MAN's game

Edit: Damn you Balding Spider! By just one minute!

• Thumbs Up 2

Removing the Super Guide? Eeeeeeh, not sure that's a good thing. I never make use of it in any game but it's good to have for certain players. There should just be an option to permanently disable it from appearing.

• Thumbs Up 4