Awoo.

Microsoft @ E3: A Space Odyssey. June 10 [9:30 AM PDT/ 5:30 PM BST]

Carbo

Don't rape jokes get a pass in fighters? I mean, yeah, he was playing against a girl, but raping people is kinda the point of bringing the hurt in a combo masher.

This post is all kinds of questionable.

(Sorry you can't "win back" a term like rape, it's horrible no matter what context it's used in)

Edited by SuperLink

Xbox One reveal conference: Microsoft only shows off underwhelming console, people want to hear about the games.

E3: Microsoft shows off (mostly) underwhelming games, people want to hear them address the issues with the system.

It's a funny era we live in.

Don't rape jokes get a pass in fighters? I mean, yeah, he was playing against a girl, but raping people is kinda the point of bringing the hurt in a combo masher.

They do, but that doesn't make it right, hence why some people thought it was in bad taste. xP

Strawman. Let what happen? Let him win?

Tell me, if he was playing against a guy, would you be throwing that accusation at him?

"Raped" is basically a loaded term for a dominating win in video games, so you're not really differentiating that all that well.

And would I be accusing him of having made a rape reference if the woman was a man? Yes. Because men can rape men. And the mere suggestion of rape, as well as the word itself, is thrown around in the competitive gaming scenes which are male dominated anyway.

"Just let it happen; it'll be over soon."

Yeah, there's no reason that isn't a rape joke.

Yeah, that is uncalled for.

(Sorry you can't "win back" a term like rape, it's horrible no matter what context it's used in)

I hear it all the time in competitive games sadly. It's used so often that it sort of developed a second meaning to gamers.

Especially the Xbox One audience, ha.

*sigh* One of my friend's is being such a blatant Microsoft fanboy right now he is coming up with excuses left right and centre. Here is what he said in response to the amount of shooters and the price. "Yeah shooters are what most people want but they did show other content too and as for the price some stores might lower it after or around launch"  

Yeah, that is uncalled for.

I'm confused; do you mean the joke or my accusation? o.o;

I literally just quote the Booty Warrior...

I'm confused; do you mean the joke or my accusation? o.o;

The joke.

If it hadn't been pointed out I would've probably never noticed it. Still, it's uncalled for...especially at a conference!

• Thumbs Up 1

If it hadn't been pointed it I would've probably never notice it. Still, it's uncalled for...especially at a conference!

Uncalled for and childish, just like the rest of the comments at the conference. It was an awkward thing to say, but not much more awkward than the rest of what was said.

I really don't think he was actively TRYING to reference rape, especially when the public reception of MS is at an all time low. It seems to me that he was just trash talking and he just said something that sounds really bad.

So... no new software from Namco, Atlus, Tecmo or SEGA. Absolutely zero Square Enix presence (uh oh). Does Dead Rising 3 run on the ~~panty raid~~ engine?

Did they mention the price in yens? Are they even launching it in Japan? lol

I don't want to sound like I'm spreading FUD like a Microsoft PR twitterer -they will get multiplat japanese games- but it reconfirms the idea of an american centric console.

...You guys must not play competitve games, we trash talk constantly...

Edited by Noel
  • Thumbs Up 1

If it hadn't been pointed it I would've probably never notice it. Still, it's uncalled for...especially at a conference!

I noted the sexual connotation, especially with the woman rubbing in his big "fight stick" or something, but it was so brief and such a badly-done conversation between the two of them that I couldn't bring myself to get outraged. But as you said, it was still inappropriate.

I really don't think he was actively TRYING to reference rape, especially when the public reception of MS is at an all time low. It seems to me that he was just trash talking and he just said something that sounds really bad.

Yeah I agree, it wasn't intentional but it didn't come across well at all.

It's even worse if the conversation was really as scripted as it damn-well sounded.

I get why people could take offense to it, its a horrible term for a horrible act.

Still though, its established gaming lingo used in an established manner in an established gaming event. I don't expect people to like his usage of the term, but the small controversy its brewing here seems kind of unnecessary. If I yell "I'm taking this one out of your @$$" over a headset during a match, everyone on the same channel will know what I'm talking about, regardless if your playing a man or a woman on the other end.

Its as second nature as teabag-ing at this point.

For the system that Microsoft is trying to turn into something as ubiquitous as a cable box or DVD player, it is probably not the best idea to actively foster the worst aspects of the community that they are trying to shy away from at the main conference of the entire industry.

So, if it was a dude vs a man, would there be this much "outrage"?

I wouldn't call it an "outrage"? Just a note.

But yes it would still be noted if it was vs a man, it's just kinda distasteful overall.

So, if it was a dude vs a man, would there be this much "outrage"?

Probably so, because as I already noted: 1.) Men can rape men, and 2.) Rape and all of its suggestions are prominent in competitive gaming scenes which are male dominated. This doesn't mean casual usage of the term rape is suddenly okay, especially during a conference which is being heavily scrutinized by the media unlike your generic online match in the privacy of your home. 

Overall, I don't see any outrage, at least on this forum. People are merely noting he made a stupid remark. That's not outrage, that's just more finger-pointing in a sea of it.

Xbox Live Gold will remain a subscription service, priced the same each month, although you will now get two free games a month on Xbox 360

Confirmation then.

Online gaming is still a paid service.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-10-xbox-one-available-november-priced-429-USD499-USD499

So we should assume that you are hosting a global conference which is supposed to appeal to both men and women when you trash talk during your gaming?

So we should assume that you are hosting a global conference which is supposed to appeal to both men and women when you trash talk during your gaming?

Don't be silly.

There are no female gamers.

• Thumbs Up 1