Awoo.

S.L.W. Screenshots (P. 54) "Grammar Errors? This game is a sequel to Sonic's Schoolhouse!?"

Badnik Mechanic

The zig-zags it was limited to are not functionally less restrictive than a straight line that merely appears curved due to the level design. If anything, commenting on the shape of the line misses the point completely about why Cyan is such a cocktease.

But allowing it to curve opens up more than just leaving the laser at sharp angles, whether it's the level design design influencing it or not.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

But allowing it to curve opens up more than just leaving the laser at sharp angles, whether it's the level design design influencing it or not.
What "more" is opened up by Laser functioning the exact same as it always has, but merely corkscrewing around a corkscrew???

What "more" is opened up by Laser functioning the exact same as it always has, but merely corkscrewing around a corkscrew???

Less chances of your path having obstacles reflecting you at an angle elsewhere for one, and if they gave a bit more control over how to guide yourself as you shoot forward then that's two. Given how you couldn't actually curve at all in Colors, since the level design limited you to either going in a straight line, or bouncing around at sharp angles, arcing around in a corkscrew thanks to some tubular level segments offers something different in motion as it allows more than just lining yourself up and pressing the button to let it rip and watch Sonic either bounce around or just zip straight as the only 2 ways to use the Laser wisp.

And given how that part looks, they could allow you to just shoot through it in a straight line while having obstacles in your path that send you elsewhere. So the mere corkscrew opens up more despite it functioning the same outside of it.

It can't just be me who thinks this picture has so many caption opportunities, right?

tC39CUc.png

Courtesy of DerpyVaz of the KYM chat

I am more interested in this one.

Could the laser be slightly more functional this go round? You couldn't do anything like that in Colors.

I agree, I like that there taking old wisps and expanding on their abilities. It's a shame though they couldn't bring back all of them, I would love to see the Blue Wisp used in 3D and put to better use.

Edited by Da Victoes

Less chances of your path having obstacles reflecting you at an angle elsewhere for one, and if they gave a bit more control over how to guide yourself as you shoot forward then that's two. Given how you couldn't actually curve at all in Colors, since the level design limited you to either going in a straight line, or bouncing around at sharp angles, arcing around in a corkscrew thanks to some tubular level segments offers something different in motion as it allows more than just lining yourself up and pressing the button to let it rip and watch Sonic either bounce around or just zip straight as the only 2 ways to use the Laser wisp.

And given how that part looks, they could allow you to just shoot through it in a straight line while having obstacles in your path that send you elsewhere. So the mere corkscrew opens up more despite it functioning the same outside of it.

Corkscrewing doesn't inherently allow less chance of impacting something if the path you're traveling on is also or functions as a corkscrew, because you are not actually turning yourself anymore at that point- you're following the lay of the land in a straight line, and the land itself just so happens to twist. Ergo, your chances at hitting something do not change, because obstacles can occur on turns.

Also, where is this proof or notion coming from that Cyan Laser now has drawing abilities? It has literally never come up before, not from Sega nor from the people and industry buffs who have actually played the game and used him. Like, you'd think that'd be a big thing to mention about the Wisp powers a couple of months before release.

Overall, the only thing I see in that screenshot is that we can use Laser in cylindrical spaces, and the power is simply physically performing to expectation. Nothing has inherently changed about it except it looks cooler.

Edit: Looking at the screenshot again, that tube itself looks like every other internal tube in the game where gravity is externalized, pulling Sonic towards the walls. If you were to simply angle him at any degree not parallel to the running direction of the walls, and then press up on the control stick, you will be corkscrewing exactly like Laser is, even though you're not actually turning Sonic. Most likely, what we're seeing is a quirk of the physics system and not any extra functionality of the Wisp itself.

Corkscrewing doesn't inherently allow less chance of impacting something if the path you're traveling on is also or functions as a corkscrew, because you are not actually turning yourself anymore at that point- you're following the lay of the land in a straight line, and the land itself just so happens to twist. Ergo, your chances at hitting something do not change, because obstacles can occur on turns.

Well given that the path in the image is essentially a tunnel and not a corkscrew and Sonic is being allowed to corkscrew around in than he is being forced to when he could likely be plowing straight through it, I think that opens up a door in avoiding obstacles like that rock that's set ahead of him in that image. Not saying that it's a guarantee, but I think there is less of a chance at impacting something in a corkscrew when you moving circular motion that potentially allows you to go around or above obstacles as you go through that tunnel compared to going straight through it in without trying to go above or around it.

One thing to note is that you're not moving in a perfectly straight path in a corkscrew thanks to that lay of the land allowing it; were it completely flat without any contours, you wouldn't have that option to corkscrew in the first place.

. Also, where is this proof or notion coming from that Cyan Laser now has drawing abilities? 

Uh...who said that?

Read my edit. The tunnel itself more than likely has external gravity that's pulling you towards the walls. If this is the case, merely angling yourself at any degree not parallel to the running direction of the wall and then pressing up on the control stick will corkscrew you, even though pressing up is still the equivalent of running straight. This isn't added functionality or agility; this is entirely the work of the physics system and level design. And once again, the probability of hitting something does not change as a result of this because the line you are traveling is still physically straight (granted, this looks more like a set piece or show-off moment anyway, so I don't think any obstacles will be there anyway; it's barren). It only would change if Laser had the ability to turn mid-run, to change the angle of its line on its own volition, like Sonic can when running, but there is no proof this is the case. Again, no one who worked on or played the game has actually said anything about this potential ability. So it's fair to assume Laser can only go in lines a la Colors. We're not seeing anything new here in this screenshot except the tube itself.

Uh...who said that?

I could have sworn you or someone else just mentioned the ability to draw Laser's path via the pad. Ah well.

This isn't added functionality or agility; this is entirely the work of the physics system and level design.

I could have sworn I've been saying it was the result of the level design at least twice when were were discussing this. I don't recall saying it was a function of the Laser Wisp, although I did press the thought that it would be a good idea to give more control to the player.

And once again, the probability of hitting something does not change as a result of this because the line you are traveling is still physically straight (granted, this looks more like a set piece or show-off moment anyway, so I don't think any obstacles will be there anyway; it's barren).

In a circular pattern, thanks to the tubular layout allowing you to corkscrew.

And the probability does change because unlike a straight line where you could have an approaching obstacle right in front of you stop you, were you to corkscrew towards that same obstacle it's not guaranteed to hit you the same way. Yes, you could curve right into it and hit the obstacle in motion, or depending on where you corkscrewed in the beginning you might go past it, or even be above it. You aren't given that same chance moving in a complete and straight line that doesn't corkscrew if you approaching an object infront of you.

It's like throwing a dart a specific spot on a spinning dartboard verses one that's not spinning and I challenge you to try this out for yourself; you have less certainty in hitting a moving spot and have to aim and time the shot compared to just aiming on a stationary target, and anyone can tell you that hitting a moving target is much difficult than hitting one that is stationary (though in this case, the obstacle is the dart and Sonic in Laser form is the specific spot on the spinning dartboard). And that's assuming the obstacle is stationary; were it moving that makes the chances even more unknown.

I asked how having a curved set piece adds more (and by more, I mean actual functionality on the player's end) to the Wisp itself, despite it being pretty much the same thing it was the last time. If you're conceding that it's not, and that the level design is essentially at play here, then there is literally nothing else to discuss on this tangent.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wasn't conceding actually, level design being at play was part of my point from the beginning.

I'd still like to see some more control be given for the Wisp as far functionality goes if they can manage it.

tC39CUc.png

Courtesy of DerpyVaz of the KYM chat

Out of curiosity, what were you trying to show us? Based on context, I would assume it was Sonic sliding on his ass with a humorous caption?

Topologically, corkscrewing around the inside of a tube is no different than moving diagonally on flat ground. You could already shoot Laser diagonally.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ultimately, it really is amazing what optical illusions like the circular field can do. All it takes is a little bit of manipulation of the physics, but it looks like something really revolutionary. It's such a simple idea and as stated, little more than merely curving something the Wisp could already do already, but it still looks fairly neat.

Doing more with less really is an art, I think. Just one of those subtle artistic techniques at work.

Edited by Eciruam Eivligo

This screenshot is wallpaper worthy:

slw-6-1.jpg

Also, notice how the leaf model for this stage is used quite often, but for it's different uses, it has different textures and patterns, instead of being a simple copy/pasta model. Four different types show up in this screenshot alone.

It appears Windy Hill has more detail going on in it than people are giving it credit for...

• Thumbs Up 1

This screenshot is wallpaper worthy:

slw-6-1.jpg

Also, notice how the leaf model for this stage is used quite often, but for it's different uses, it has different textures and patterns, instead of being a simple copy/pasta model. Four different types show up in this screenshot alone.

It appears Windy Hill has more detail going on in it than people are giving it credit for...

Look carefully into that picture, it actually looks like one of the afterimages is kicking Sonic in the crotch.

• Thumbs Up 3

Right on siliconera it says that: here's the link http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/26...c+(Siliconera)

Desert Ruins 1 Starts at the beginning of the desert and then after that you must climb an ominous tower dodging worms to reach the exit.
Desert Ruins 4 takes place by outrunning a tornado and drilling through dirt while running for your life.
Silent Forest 1 takes place at an eggman base in a forest with poisonous flowers, crocodiles and rails.
Silent Forest 2 takes place on Aztec ruins high above a forest while avoiding the owl by hiding behind bushes, if the owl spots you a swarm of bats will appear(Why does this remind me of The Lost City from crash bandicoot)

Edited by DarkShadowMaster

096.jpg

This stage looks like a 2D one, however Sonic is facing into the screen rather than sideways.  Caught during some kind of turning animation?  Or some kind of transition from a spring for example?

Silent Forest Zone 2, not Zone 3

So the temple level from the 3DS version of Desert Ruins act 2 is actually part of Zone 1 on the Wii U version? That's pretty cool I guess. Now I think about it, 3DS act 1 did pretty much do the same thing - you have to climb up a cliff while the sandworm bursts out of the wall, only in this version it's taking place inside a temple and is actually a 2D level

The fact that both Windy Hill and Desert Ruins have had four acts shown probably means that the zones only actually have four acts, which I suppose is a pretty good number. Not to mention Zazz speaking in Windy Hill act 4, implying that it's the zone right before the boss.

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst

096.jpg

This stage looks like a 2D one, however Sonic is facing into the screen rather than sideways.  Caught during some kind of turning animation?  Or some kind of transition from a spring for example?

Well usually some screenshots and even some videos from trailers of new games are taken in angles that you're not able to see in the game, just to show everything around the character, it could be the case here

Judging from the speed lines, it looks like he's been launched to that platform from elsewhere.

096.jpg

They might do something akin to Rayman Origins/Legends where you can see the other path in the background before being thrown over to it so that it becomes the new foreground.

Silent Forest Zone 2, not Zone 3

So the temple level from the 3DS version of Desert Ruins act 2 is actually part of Zone 1 on the Wii U version? That's pretty cool I guess. Now I think about it, 3DS act 1 did pretty much do the same thing - you have to climb up a cliff while the sandworm bursts out of the wall, only in this version it's taking place inside a temple and is actually a 2D level

The fact that both Windy Hill and Desert Ruins have had four acts shown probably means that the zones only actually have four acts, which I suppose is a pretty good number. Not to mention Zazz speaking in Windy Hill act 4, implying that it's the zone right before the boss.

That would make sense, if it wasn't for Zor's boss happening right after Act 2 of silent forest, what with the owl being destroyed in the background and all. Perhaps the Deadly Six bosses happen in the middle of the zone, with a mech boss happening at the end?

Also, Iizuka implied that there would be six stages in Desert Ruins altogether in this interview: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/interview/34730

That would make sense, if it wasn't for Zor's boss happening right after Act 2 of silent forest, what with the owl being destroyed in the background and all. Perhaps the Deadly Six bosses happen in the middle of the zone, with a mech boss happening at the end?

We don't know that. For all we know it could be a different act, and even if it wasn't, the clip where we actually see Zor looks nothing like the actual level - it looks more like some sort of castle area, which seems pretty standard progression, travelling through the ancient ruins until you eventually reach the massive castle where the bad guy waits.

In the gamescon trailer sonic was attacking buzzbombers in a mysterious mansion

That's actually a temple if you look closely. It has Tiki heads and whatnot.

EDIT: Here's a screenshot:

2Z2YktF.png

Edited by LordMetallix