Awoo.

Story Speculation Topic

slam422

The same reason why they got a new voice cast for all the characters if they're mostly going to use just Sonic and Tails.

And that reason is? Because I don't see how focusing on just Sonic & Tails relates to the fact that these writers are so far pretty pointless.

Fanbase/reviewer pandering?

You gotta see that SEGA's still in full-on damage control mode right now. This is reasonably logical (alibet it holds back the narrative potential of the series) ,for them to hypothetically be doing that. 

The problems with the previous games was their shoddy writing in an attempt at making plot. Ok, so obviously to meet these demands they hired these new writers to focus on simpler storytelling. Still with me? But if Sonic Team are actively focusing less on plot, then why the fuck did they need new writers? If they didn't want to focus on plot they should have just ignored it altogether. So the notion that they're "being held back" makes absolutely no sense. If they're being held back then there was no point in hiring them because the writing in the series has barely improved.

So I have every reason to believe that they just aren't very good at writing for this series outside of a few instances.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu

And that reason is? Because I don't see how focusing on just Sonic & Tails relates to the fact that these writers are so far pretty pointless.

I think it's kinda pointless to get new voices for everyone when they're barely using them (since most of the focus is on Sonic and Tails) same goes with the writers. Why go through the trouble in hiring a new voice cast and writers if you're not going to use them at their full potential?

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 2

They have managed to make Sonic & Tails seem more buddy buddy/brotherly in their conversations as of late. Besides maybe Tails story in the original Sonic Adventure a lot of the stories or writing kind of ignored their close relationship. I may be personally forgetting other instances in recent years, but their conversations in the last few games do seem far more friendly and like they know each other very well. But that may be a result of the games concentrating more on them being by themselves more than they have been in the past few years with all the other characters being present up until recently.

Now that Knuckles and Amy are spose to be showing up in the story proper it gives me hope they can extend the way they show Sonic & Tails interacting into these two as well. We may see more characterization in Knuckles than we have seen in ages if this happens.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, the writers from before were a level of bland I never, ever want to see again.  These stories may be thin as fucking tissue paper, but there's just something about the "trying too hard" writing from before that rubs me the wrong way.

And let me tell you, it's hard to rub me the wrong way, if you know what I mean.

The problems with the previous games was their shoddy writing in an attempt at making plot. Ok, so obviously to meet these demands they hired these new writers to focus on simpler storytelling. Still with me? But if Sonic Team are actively focusing less on plot, then why the fuck did they need new writers? If they didn't want to focus on plot they should have just ignored it altogether. So the notion that they're "being held back" makes absolutely no sense. If they're being held back then there was no point in hiring them because the writing in the series has barely improved.

So I have every reason to believe that they just aren't very good at writing for this series outside of a few instances.

They might have hired new guys just to %100 get rid of the stigma, as stupid as that is. This............is SEGA we're talking about, they aren't that bad but they can be god damn retarded sometimes. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

Honestly, the writers from before were a level of bland I never, ever want to see again.  These stories may be thin as fucking tissue paper, but there's just something about the "trying too hard" writing from before that rubs me the wrong way.

And let me tell you, it's hard to rub me the wrong way, if you know what I mean.

I hate both honestly, just for different reasons. If I had to choose, I'd definitely pick the current writing over what we had previously. But honestly, I feel like that I'll never live to see a decent story played out in a meaningful way, with most of the characters that I like.

I'm not asking for a lot; I just want an entertaining story with Sonic & his crew fighting bad guys but takes itself seriously when appropriate. Everything other series I play has this: Ratchet & Clank, Paper Mario, Jak & Daxter, yet the main franchise that I love can't get it right, after over ten years of trying. Its aggravating to think about honestly.

They might have hired new guys just to %100 get rid of the stigma, as stupid as that is. This............is SEGA we're talking about, they aren't that bad but they can be god damn retarded sometimes. 

Its like watching someone you care about walking toward a pothole; you're screaming at the top of your lungs "Don't go near the hole" but they ignore you, and the fall. And you have to watch this over and over and over again.

• Thumbs Up 3

Is it even officially confirmed that the writers is returning back for SLW?

Edited by sonfan1984

I heard a few months back that they were writing for a new game. This is obviously a new game, so yea.

I mentioned this in another topic, but it would be great if Sonic's stories were more like the comic book Bone. Serious and epic plot, but with funny moments thrown in. The main characters themselves are cartoony caricatures too, so if it can work there why not for Sonic?

Maybe we'll get a sneak peak soon of a random cutscene like we did with Colours and Generations so we can see if the writers have actually improved a bit.

I am going to forever hold the people who hired Ken and Warren before I ever blame those two for the writing in these recent games. Because I'm sure Ken and Warren want to deliver something more than what they have been, but that - due to backlash against Sonic having any narrative more complex than "Sonic fights Eggman" - they aren't being allowed to do so.

• Thumbs Up 4

I am going to forever hold the people who hired Ken and Warren before I ever blame those two for the writing in these recent games. Because I'm sure Ken and Warren want to deliver something more than what they have been, but that - due to backlash against Sonic having any narrative more complex than "Sonic fights Eggman" - they aren't being allowed to do so.

I still don't get this; why outsource writers if you're just going to hinder them. Why not just use your own in-house writers then?

But that's exactly what's happening here, isn't it?

I mean, Sonic teaming up with Eggman is kind of the opposite of fighting him, so clearly they're varying it up a little.

Speculation: The seventh member of the Deadly Six will be the Final Boss or Dr.Eggman will harness his power and use it against Sonic.

1000px-Deadly_Six_Pose.png

If you observe their horns, they are striped black and the color of another Deadly Six member—except the red one, who has black-and-gray striped horns. This strongly suggests there is a missing seventh member with gray skin and black-and-green striped horns (the missing horn color). 

No one has green horns, tho'.

e: oh, wait, you said that. Well this is what happens when I don't get enough sleep.

Edited by Diogenes

No one has green horns, tho'.

Which suggests there is a seventh member of the Deadly Six.

Speculation: The seventh member of the Deadly Six will be the Final Boss or Dr.Eggman will harness his power and use it against Sonic.

If you observe their horns, they are striped black and the color of another Deadly Six member—except the red one, who has black-and-gray striped horns. This strongly suggests there is a missing seventh member with gray skin and black-and-green striped horns (the missing horn color).

Which is curiously the seventh color of the chaos emeralds. Hmmmm

I just noticed something about this picture. Look in the background, bottom left. There's a loop on the ground.

Maybe there's some grounded level design after all?

Let me post this in another topic not related to storyline :P

Edited by Azookara

But what do you guys think the connection between the Deadly 6 and the Chaos Emeralds would be? Perhaps it could be that the Deadly 6 uses the Chaos Emeralds to give them special abilities?

Edited by Blue Warrior

Manifestations? I mean the synopsis did say Eggman tries to harness their energy.

Perhaps something goes wrong and the chaos emeralds manifest as the Deadly "six".

It is kind of interesting to see what develops because supposedly in the 3DS version the Chaos Emeralds are in the special stages. Unless the Eggman manifested the negative energy of the Emeralds.

Manifestations? I mean the synopsis did say Eggman tries to harness their energy.

Perhaps something goes wrong and the chaos emeralds manifest as the Deadly "six".

Well [warning: massive speculation] that would definitely go hand in hand with Wind Hill looking like Green Hill, if only six emeralds are involved in this game (while the seventh will probably be a special non-story-related unlockable at the end for Super Sonic).

I mean, six of the Chaos Emeralds alone must be capable of doing something, since Eggman was after them even before knowing of the seventh, and they did, err, something to Green Hill at the end of Sonic 1 if you get them all, so seven is really only needed for Super transformations and stuff like the Eclipse Cannon.

Well [warning: massive speculation] that would definitely go hand in hand with Wind Hill looking like Green Hill

That's what I was wondering earlier on: if something Chaos Emerald-related happened to Sonic's world while he was chasing Eggman and accidentally transported some of Green Hill to Lost Hex.

However, I doubt that Sonic Team will elaborate deeply on why Wind Hill looks like Green Hill. The reason is "because it's Sonic and this is what Sonic looks like". 

Hey guys, there was a level in Sonic X-treme called Jade Gully that kind of resembled Green Hill. 

Wind Hill=Jade Gully.

Even with the other X-Treme connections factored in, that seems like kind of a stretch. There's a Green Hill-like level in practically every Sonic game.

Jade Gully is a much better name than Wind Hill, though. It's a pity Wind Hill's kind of the exact opposite of a gully, or I'd say they should probably have reused it.

180px-Chaos_Emeralds_Sonic_1.png

deadly-six-640x359.jpg

If you follow the order from the top counter-clockwise, you get: red, purple/pink, (light) blue, dark blue,  yellow, and green.

Sonic 1 Chaos Emeralds, in order: red, purple, dark blue, yellow, green, and gray.

If we base off the Six Emeralds theory, Eggman has to have already known about the gray Emerald butt neglected/saved the gray Alien, assuming he is the one who brought the aliens.

emerald-chart.gif

Pointing out the fact that the sky blue Emerald suffers from a lack of consistency (and it was the one missing in Sonic 1), if we look at the latest set, which is Advance 3, those are the canon Emeralds now: dark blue, green, purple, red, light blue, gray, yellow.

If you take the liberty to assign purple to Waluigi, who looks more like pink to me, then yes, the gray one is missing. But the fact remains that this takes places way after the Classic era, and so if Eggman knows there's a connection between the aliens and the Emeralds, he HAS to either be missing the gray alien, or he's saving him for last.

Edited by tenchibr
  • Thumbs Up 1