Awoo.

Story Speculation Topic

slam422

I'm normally not one to start topics like this (largely because they usually end up falling flat on their faces before they even get started), but since I was thinking about it I'd go ahead and make a topic for it.

Now then, since we know absolutely nothing about the story of this game what with it just being announced and all, I figured that I'd start up a story speculation topic to discuss potential plot elements of the game based on the (very limited) info we've obtained so far.

Now then, let's look at the teaser image we've been presented.

SonicLostWorldTeaserImage_zps6f0b5852.pn

Let's take note of a few outstanding details in the image. The first thing you will notice is the main focus of the screenshot: the world itself that Sonic & Tails are flying towards, which is obviously going to be the "Lost World" of the game's namesake. The world is made up of hexagonal pieces that interconnect with one another to make up the bulk of the world, and from the looks of it large portions of the world look to be missing, as well as there being smaller hexagonal fragments strewn here & there.

Another thing to note is that since the world is missing portions of it, we can see what it's like on the inside of the planet: completely hollow. And the inner parts of the world seem to be a sort of solid grey color. Is it stone? Is it metal? We don't know, but it's worth noting.

Another thing to note is the overall setting of the image. With the way the clouds are positioned, the blue sky in the background the way it is, and the way that Sonic & Tails are approaching the planet in the Tornado, we can deduce that the Lost World is within the atmosphere of Sonic's homeworld. This further implies that the world itself may be similar in nature to Little Planet, another small world that appears in the skies of Sonic's world every so often.

From all of this, I came up with this scenario: This "Lost World" appears in the skies of Sonic's world one day, causing the blue blur to become curious. He & tails set out to find that this world is an artificial one created long ago by ancient people for some unknown plot-related purpose, but now the world is beginning to degrade; threatening the inhabitants of the world. Said degradation of the world is also putting Sonic's world at risk, so he sets out to fix the damage and put everything right.

That's just my opinion, though; I'd like to here what you all have to say on the topic. What potential storylines can you all divine from this image?

Edited by Carbo
Rename Request
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am wondering if they're going to explain how Eggman got out of the White Zone at the end of Generations. Some sort of linking continuity Eggman connection could be interesting for the series. They said starting with Colors they wanted the series to have more of a continuity, and Generations shows that it takes place right after the end of Colors. Wondering if there will be some sort of nod again to how he managed to escape the White Zone, or even if this game has something to do with his escape.

Edited by Agent York

"Sonic: Lost World" made me think of this:

lost-world-2-300x225.png

And this:

0.jpg

And most importantly, this:

250px-Knuckles_the_Echidna_picture.gif

After seeing that one screenshot of the game, I now hugely doubt any of those elements or anything like them will be a part of the story. I really have no idea about the plot now, but it'll probably be as wafer-thin as Colours and Generations. That's just the vibe I'm getting from this NSMB world.

• Thumbs Up 8

That's exactly what I was thinking! That rumor back in February had me so excited about the “return” of other characters to the main series.  

Now I’m sitting here…slowly letting the reality of Sonic and Tails flying to an isolated world alone sink into my head….

The "guardians" theme is perfect as well….

But, hey, we don't really know anything yet. We don’t know the motives behind Sonic and Tails’ trip to the Lost World; friends could be involved….but I doubt it.

sad.png

Eggman's doing something bad with some magic/technologic/magitech so-and-so and Sonic has to stop him. That, I expect, will be about it. Unfortunately.

• Thumbs Up 7

When I first heard of this game I began thinking of Jurassic Park. Seriously though, I think it's gonna be your standard, "Sonic has to stop Eggman from taking over the world" story. And unfortunately, I think the chances of this being sola sonica again is high.

My ballpark guess?

This new world pops up in the sky. Complete with mysterious shifting properties, Eggman see's fit to take advantage of it by literally building it up in his own image. Sonic and Tails, not wanting to sit idly by for the doctor to build up a new base of operations set off to fend off the dictator before any harm would befall its potential inhabitants.

Once there, they all get more than they bargained for as the shifting planet has its own ways of defending itself. The planets incomplete state prevents intruders from gaining access to its true secrets. Sonic and Tails race across the planet, filling in the incomplete spaces to prevent Eggman from unlocking the secret of ultimate power sealed inside.

Now I'll come back in 6 or 7 months and see how close I was. ^^

Edited by Sega DogTagz

I have no idea how the story will play out, but I have a feeling that it'll be similar to how Colours Wii and DS handled it.

The Wii U version would focus primarily on Sonic and Tails on their daily shenanigans until they discover this world and decide to investigate, while the 3DS version would be pretty much the same although with slightly different dialogue, with cameo appearances from Sonic's other friends.

After seeing that one screenshot of the game, I now hugely doubt any of those elements or anything like them will be a part of the story. I really have no idea about the plot now, but it'll probably be as wafer-thin as Colours and Generations. That's just the vibe I'm getting from this NSMB world.

And once again, my dreams of playing as Knux again, has been crushed sad.png

I have to admit, as bruised as I am about the apparent lack of other characters, the Lost World looks amazing and I’m loving the mysterious fantasy element. 

I’m very curious as to why the pieces of the ocean section are missing….for aesthetics, I guess, to reveal that the world is made of hexagons….and DUH! Sky Chase Act 32, how could I not realize? laugh.png 

I see that the desert environment is sandwiched in between two sections to the forest area. Makes me wonder how the navigation will go.

Also, notice that the northern part of the green section is darker than the other. Jungle or swamp zone as opposed to plains zone?

Wouldn't it be hilarious if there was actually a stage with dinosaurs in this game?

Why are people getting so up and arms about the freaking artstyle? Oh god, Sonic is using level tropes that were done in the past? RUINED FOREVER. God people, at least articulate yourself better than that.

As for the plot, while I'm hoping for something with some depth, I really don't expect anything beyond what was in Colors.

HOWEVER, if I did get my wish. I'd really just keep this an adventure for Team Sonic; Sonic & Tails would be the main story, while Knuckles would be there for his own reasons, possibly related to the master emerald or some type of ancient treasure.

I can't really say anything more due to lack of info/

• Thumbs Up 7

The Lost World is a legend from Sonic's world's ancient past - an artificial planet constructed with ancient Chaos technology on the whims of ancient peoples.  But as it was being constructed, an incident caused it to mysteriously vanish, leaving behind but a single incomplete segment, now known as Angel Island.  One day, the Lost World suddenly appears in the sky, upon the brink of completion... what is the secret of the Lost World?  Who built it, where did it go, and why is it back?  Whatever the case, you can bet that Dr. Eggman won't ignore a whole new planet to dominate - and Sonic and his friends won't ignore a whole new opportunity to stop him!

...Something like that.  I quite like that Angel Island connection I came up with, actually.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I don't know why the art style is throwing off so many people, I honestly think it looks rather sonicy considering the direction the franchise has gone in recent years. Anywho on topic.

I still think Knuckles could still have a role in the story, it just seems fitting, all these floating islands and rumours of guardians. I'd personally love it if they used this as a game to delve more into Knuckles's history and if possible, retconning Chronicles. The rumoured guardians could totally be other Echidna Guardians protecting their continents. I mean if they could to an extent ignore 2006 Blaze, Chronicles could be easily shoved under the rug.

I've noticed that the recent core Sonic games focused on the friendship between Sonic & Tails. Well... not focused but it's definitely one of the bigger character relationships outside of Modern & Classic. Sonic's friends have been pushed away since 06' in favor of Sonic & Tails. The fact that only Sonic & Tails are seen flying to a planet in the sky seems to tell me that the story will mainly focus on Sonic & Tails adventure on the planet and interacting with guardians or possibly animals.

Having Sonic's other friends pop up would be horribly contrived since it's pretty hard to get up to a "Lost" planet without a plane. So, again, i'm not expecting any of Sonic's friends to show up and i'm expecting another scene where Sonic is talking to an inanimate object. Make it happen SEGA.

I really don't mind it being Sonic & Tails, something about two bros going on an adventure to an unknown planet touches me. That said, I hope Tails at least has just as active role as Sonic this time around instead of standing on the sidelines.

• Thumbs Up 6

I really don't mind it being Sonic & Tails, something about two bros going on an adventure to an unknown planet touches me. That said, I hope Tails at least has just as active role as Sonic this time around instead of standing on the sidelines.

I think this concept would be better if it was done earlier, between Colors, Gens and Episode II, I think people are kind of tired of "Sonic and Tails' wacky adventures" at this point and want to see more characters join the fray..

You know what? I honestly think the whole feeling of it not being sonic-y (watch that become a trademark around here) is down to the hexagons. As minor a thing as that is, it does give off some resemblance to some of the levels from Galaxy. Though having seen it for a bit now it fits in just fine with the whole sonic feel. If we get a teaser on Monday I'm sure it'll help separate it for people more.

I get the feeling the world's falling apart for some reason or another. It reminds me quite a bit of Never Ending Story, where parts of the world were actually falling into an abyss, one chunk at a time.

So I'm actually really curious where it came from, and what could be causing it to slowly fall apart.

If I recall folks are speculating the stages to be hints at ones that were cut from prior games, so this could be an anti-Generations of sorts. It would explain the title by a large margin.

Maybe the timeline screwery of Generations has caused erased areas to resurface? Assuming there's some loose connection between the games.

There are six guardians and what looks to be about seven areas, so I'm calling it to be like Colors with six areas tied to a Guardian, and a seventh area that Eggman's exploiting for whatever reason.

Actually I just came up with an idea. Maybe Eggman's building a new world from scratch, reasoning that he can't take over the actual world? It's very Chairman Drek-like, and would explain why it's so blocky.

• Thumbs Up 1