Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

That's racist. You can't call a guy "bad" just because he's got horns and claws. 

This, has Wreck-it-Ralph taught you nothing!?

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 9

dumbo.png

He has two hands with sharp fingers, but then it all gets a bit confusing- seems he has some sort of Tapir-esque snout with spikes, and is holding something with his right hand.

This may have been brought up, but I've kind of skimmed, since there were 28 pages added since I went to work yesterday.  Everyone seems to be assuming this guy's facing left has a trunky nose and a fin.  I think he's wearing a floppy cap. like a nightcap.  That puts him mostly face-front, like the rest appear to be, with his left horn (striped like the girl's, at least) standing out clear, and his right horn mostly hidden behind the cap, which has a spiked ball on the end instead of a pom-pom.  It looks to me like the bump to the left of the head/cap is striped like the visible fin/horn, and it has the same curve.

Things that don't behave how they look or go against standard tropes can be amazing, if written well.

I am a tad worried that the characters will all follow the most standard set of tropey archetypes, but if they're well written then that'll hopefully be fine.

That's racist. You can't call a guy "bad" just because he's got horns and claws.

Skyward Sword's Batreaux agrees wholeheartedly...

200px-BatreauxDemonSS.png

... but this is Sega we're talking about here. What are the odds that they'll really go against standard trope archetypes?

Skyward Sword's Batreaux agrees wholeheartedly...

200px-BatreauxDemonSS.png

... but this is Sega we're talking about here. What are the odds that they'll really go against standard trope archetypes?

Well I guess Black Knight feels forgotten right now. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

Is "this character looks nice/mean but is in reality evil/benevolent" not already a trope itself?

• Thumbs Up 1

Is "this character looks nice/mean but is in reality evil/benevolent" not already a trope itself?

True, but anything that goes against the mold in some way is often a trope.

What I'd like is if SEGA did something well that hasn't been done to death, a better understanding of characterisation in general.

Yes. Two in fact:

Light Is Not Good and Dark Is Not Evil.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

NInja'd.

Son of a bitch

I figured. In general, I'm not fussed about their alignment so long as Sega can wring interesting characterization out of them. I'm hoping- with how secretive this game is being, as well as the fact that these characters are being so advertised this early in the game- we can at least expect 1.) Some good banter between the characters, and 2.) For the Guardians to actually pay off at the end regardless of whether they're good, evil, corrupted, or whatever. No Time Eater nonsense.

• Thumbs Up 1

For once, I'd like to see this "is he friend or foe" thing turned on its head. Knuckles, Shadow, Blaze, and Silver all ended up being good. Why not have these creatures end up being bad?

• Thumbs Up 7

For once, I'd like to see this "is he friend or foe" thing turned on its head. Knuckles, Shadow, Blaze, and Silver all ended up being good. 

Shade as well?

• Thumbs Up 1

Guys, I think I've got the plot cracked!

Sonic, fed up of collecting rings and Chaos Emeralds, decides to collect something different for a change - extra-terrestrial guardians! To do this, he must travel to the foreign Lost World planet so he can make his way to the McDonalds at each of the seven zones* and purchase a Happy Meal, with a different guardian being given away at each different restaurant. It's a race against the clock though as Sonic was late in deciding to collect-'em-all, so there's only one week left until the range of Happy Meal toys changes over to some other generic rubbish... and of course, the notorious Dr. Eggman will stop at nothing to get in Sonic's way and prevent him from completing his collection before he does!

Gameplay includes selecting items such as cheeseburgers, fries, and fruit bags from an interactive menu on the Wii U Gamepad (extra points for being healthy!) as well as speaking into the microphone when Sonic's in a hurry and feels like going through the drive thru instead.

Who will collect all of the guardians first? Will rings be able to be used as currency at a McDonalds on a different planet? Why is Sonic going to McDonalds anyway seeing as they don't serve chilli dogs? Find out the answers to all of these questions and more in Sonic Lost World, coming soon!

It's funny because the guardians look like a range of Happy Meal toys aren't I hilarious

*yes, McDonalds has even capitalised on airborne locations now

• Thumbs Up 9

Any of you guys think the new characters are all related, as in they are brothers and/or sisters? All of them bear similar body traits (horns/spikes, tails, and/or claws).

Any of you guys think the new characters are all related, as in they are brothers and/or sisters? All of them bear similar body traits (horns/spikes, tails, and/or claws).

It's more likely they're just the same whatchamacallits. Wisps, Gaia spawn... etc They could be directly related, but I don't see it happening.

Edited by Blue Blood

For once, I'd like to see this "is he friend or foe" thing turned on its head. Knuckles, Shadow, Blaze, and Silver all ended up being good. Why not have these creatures end up being bad?

Actually I think this is crucial, one or two at least should remain as villains.

The fact that Eggman is the only villain and everyone else turns good doesn't help keep things interesting, it's one of the main reasons I'd like Fang to return, not just because he's a ~missing classic~ but because he's a neutral element that would never permanently join the good or bad side. Sonic needs more noteworthy adversaries.

Fang returning would not ensure they'd stick to their guns on his past characterization. Look at the Chaotix.

Fang returning would not ensure they'd stick to their guns on his past characterization. Look at the Chaotix.

True, but did they even have much consistent characterisation in the first place? Iirc they were totally different in Japan/West.

Also I wasn't really making an argument for why Fang himself should come back (though I would like him to), I just think a neutral character like him is crucial to keep around for the sake of the dynamics it offers.

Edited by SuperLink

Granted, making them siblings would probably open up the door more easily to interesting characterization: familial rivalries, annoyances and grievances, silly in-fighting, and deep loyalties. It's why I enjoy the Rogues so much; they act like relatable siblings most of the time.

I don't think it was ever stated that the Rogues were siblings or not.

In any case, I hope we get some nice banter from these guys; I don't really care if they're good or evil, I just want them to well written.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think aside from the name, Fang's characterization in the games was pretty consistent regardless of region.

I thought Emerl filled that friend to foe niche rather well, albeit unwillingly.

Taking the character that you had befriended and poured hours into developing, only to watch him fall victim to his programming and evolve into the big bad. It was pretty refreshing back then, and seeing as how Sonic killed him he bit the dust, there is an opening in the roster for someone else to run the friend to foe gambit.

These new guardians don't need to be full tilt bad guys, but at the end of the day if their goals were in direct opposition to Sonic, than that wouldn't be a bad thing. Maybe their world is dieing and they are on an intergalactic resource hunt or something. Make nice with the locals while they try to steal the Chaos Emeralds from under Sonic's nose. That would be pretty entertaining.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

I think aside from the name, Fang's characterization in the games was pretty consistent regardless of region.

Which is why I think he'd make the transition a little easier if they brought him back for the reason I suggested (which they won't, but it's a good idea)

I thought Emerl filled that friend to foe niche rather well, albeit unwillingly.

Taking the character that you had befriended and poured hours into developing, only to watch him fall victim to his programming and evolve into the big bad. It was pretty refreshing back then, and seeing as how Sonic killed him he bit the dust, there is an opening in the roster for someone else to run the friend to foe gambit.

These new guardians don't need to be full tilt bad guys, but at the end of the day if their goals were in direct opposition to Sonic, than that wouldn't be a bad thing. Maybe their world is dieing and they are on an intergalactic resource hunt or something. Make nice with the locals while they try to steal the Chaos Emeralds from under Sonic's nose. That would be pretty entertaining.

I agree with this completely too,it's unfortunate that some of the best characters who dance on the good/evil line are either gone after one game (Gamma, Chaos, Emerl) or kinda made redundant (Shadow).

It really would be nice to see another long-term villain or third party.

I don't think it was ever stated that the Rogues were siblings or not.
They're not. I simply said they "act" like relatable siblings. xP

If they are all descendents of the original Babylonians, then at the very least, all three could well be distant cousins.