Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Ya know, I notice every time Artfenix brings up a screenshot of Generations, everyone goes into a fit and tries to prove him "wrong". How many times is this argument going to happen people, he likes Generations and ya'll like LW, deal with it. Jeez.

Except I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong, though. I'm just pointing out that everyone has different preferences, but for now they're just gonna have to deal with the fact that Lost World looks the way it does and hope it reverts back or gets improved upon in the future. I just feel that this whole debate is pointless and redundant at the moment. It's all just beating a dead horse.

Edited by Tomoki

Except I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong, though. I'm just pointing out that everyone has different preferences, but for now they're just gonna have to deal with the fact that Lost World looks the way it does and hope it reverts back or gets improved upon in the future. I just feel that this whole debate is pointless and redundant at the moment. It's all just beating a dead horse.

So why reply in the first place? The only point Artfenix was making was how Generations' did sunset lighting before LW did, that's it.

High contrast and bright colors. No one is saying that Gens looks worse, I don't think. I think the SLW sunset screenshot is nice. It doesn't blow me away, but I don't see what's so bad about it, either.

So why reply in the first place? The only point Artfenix was making was how Generations' did sunset lighting before LW did, that's it.

The same reason you're replying to me right now. Because this argument has been dragging on for far too long. He, among others, have made it clear that they don't like LW's art style, and that's fine, but they keep bringing it up, over and over again. There's literally nothing more to discuss about it. It's a moot point.

*sigh* Fine, whatever. I'll just stop posting in this thread for a while.

Edited by Tomoki

I'm not bringing anything up. I'm just honestly wondering what's so beautiful about that one and I have yet to see anybody's reasons to why they think that particular screenshot is "OMG-SUNSET-BEAUTIFUL". Just because it's a sunset stage? Well, that's the reason I posted the vid to Generations version of sunset-lit GHZ: it's simply gorgeous and it IS beautiful.

Appeal is one thing but beauty is a whole different beast.

If you wanted to try and prove me wrong you might want to put in more than 5 seconds of effort. Such a lazy, slapdash effort shouldn't convince anyone.

The amount of effort put in that GHZ recolor is comparable with that screenshot of SLoW. I'll try the other way. Keep in mind that this is not even a texture recolor but a lazy photoshop recolor made in a few seconds so some details look weird.

7kdc.jpg

It is the same lame lazy recolor I made for GHZ and suddenly you can't tell the stage is a sunset stage anymore because the lighting (and shading). It's bad, almost no lighting is present unlike Generations where a simple sky recolor wouldn't magically turn the stage from being a sunset-lit to day-lit one.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 2

Please stop posting horrible recolors as if they prove anything.

Sigh.. And people say my attitude is bad.

I'm really trying to be polite but some people think it's their duty to be sarcastic and hostile.

...fine. I'll stop now. Continuing further would be repeating myself - something that I don't want to do.

Untwist the highway and remove Sonic and you don't have much more than a generic near-future city.

And why i would do that, actually? Lets not make these "if you do this and that things". Take level as it is, and not turn it into what it not supposed to be. I  not talk about SLW artstyle here, i'm not critiq it, i dont mind it, yes i not fan of it, but i dont lose my mind because of it, i just dont think boost trilogy levels are realistic (even compare to SLW), i played games with realistic graphics, and i honeslty think that boost trilogy artstyle is cartoony as fuck. The only thing i legitimately dislike in SLW is tube structures, i like when levels attached to the ground. Again i dont mind current artstyle, im just asking.

Edited by Maddnsk

edit: this was silly, never mind

Sonic's model is a bit too dark in that last edit, considering how bright it apparently is. Same with the ground actually (if only slightly, it's only sunset after all, not all that dark but not super bright either), comparing it to Windy Hill Zone 1.

And I'm not sure why people aren't allowed to find the original screenshot beautiful? It's just how they feel about it, this is not something that can be objectively explained, at least as far as I can tell. Otherwise this endless argument wouldn't be going on and on all these months. :|

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 1

For once I agree with ArtFenix. Generations' sunset level actually looks like a sunset. Lost World's sunset looks like Windy Hill with an orange skybox. Surely they could have done a little more the lighting.

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst
  • Thumbs Up 7

And why i would do that, actually?

My point is that there's almost nothing about it that identifies it as a Sonic game except for Sonic himself and the iconic corkscrew road.

For once I agree with ArtFenix. Generations' sunset level actually looks like a sunset. Lost World's sunset looks like Windy Hill with an orange skybox. Surely they could have done a little more the lighting.

Like Splash Hill all over again.

Edited by Balding Spider

Like Splash Hill all over again.

If we're talking about the Windy Hill sunset level, I'll say I agree.

I thought Episode 2 had a nice sunset in Sylvania Castle.. Or was that sunrise? I've only seen screens, but I know there's a night act..

I like bright, bold colors more than kinda muddy and dull ones.

As do I, but I think it's possible to have a good balance between bright/bold and slightly more realistic, provided it isn't too distracting.

You know which game had a good balance in that regard, now that I think about it? Colors. Especially levels like Planet Wisp and Aquarium Park, which were both bold and beautiful in my opinion. Part of me wishes Lost World had more levels like those if Sonic Team were really going for a "Colors 2" this time around.

As do I, but I think it's possible to have a good balance between bright/bold and slightly more realistic, provided it isn't too distracting.

You know which game had a good balance in that regard, now that I think about it? Colors. Especially levels like Planet Wisp and Aquarium Park, which were both bold and beautiful in my opinion. Part of me wishes Lost World had more levels like those if Sonic Team were really going for a "Colors 2" this time around.

Colors would have probably been the most beautiful Sonic game had it come out on xbox360/ps3/pc instead of the Wii.

Edited by ArtFenix

The sunset in Windy Hill there is literally nothing more than the sky being painted orange.

False.
  • Thumbs Up 1

On the topic of this screenshot.

It's a screenshot. Have we seen this stage in action yet?

Yes the lighting might look like a recolour or a hastily changed skybox, but might seeing it in action change that?

Don't get me wrong, I'm trying to stay on the sidelines with this, but until I see that stage in action, I'm counting it as I've seen nothing.

Just the way I am, like rumours.

Personally, I love both Unleashed and Lost World's art styles. I don't think either one is bad or better than the other, and I can see why some may have been turned off to Lost World's art style, and I respect that. I think we should all just agree to disagree and have a party. Also, I'd like to formerly apologize for my attitude earlier today; it was uncalled for. Sometimes I just let my passions run too high, and I end up acting without thinking.

Edited by Tomoki
  • Thumbs Up 1

This has nothing to do with the art style though

*Ahem*, it sorta does have something to do with the art style, considering how the sky, lighting and shading is handled in that one screen shot is what you're discussing, correct? I personally do see it as a bit more than an "orange sky box"; if you look closely, you can see the orange light of the sky is hitting and reflecting off of Sonic and the environment, though due to the simplified nature of the art style, it might be harder to notice.

Edited by Tomoki