Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

If this is a Sonic playable only title, then I'll cool off and will manage to not get envy. I hope it is.

I really hope it's not. I grow tired of playing only as Sonic in the recent titles.

Really hoping for multiple playable characters.

Excuse me? Have you never touched Unleashed or Generations? 

Play Cool Edge on Sonic Unleashed, and tell me it's not stupid how long it takes for sonic to ground pound the switch before each door. And NO, I'm not referring to any of the ice segments in that level. There is another switch scenario during Jungle Joyride.

I have nothing to get over. You need to play more recent sonic games.

So then you mean Unleashed, because none of the slip-sliding around problems existed in Generations, as that game had no switch stomping puzzles.

They probably wouldn't, though.

Besides there's very few good ideas that actually need more power than recent consoles, I think.

When I thought about it, I realized they could have enough processing power to give sonic several control schemes. When he's faster, he can control like he does in Generations and Unleashed, but when he's slower, they can give him tighter controls like in Sonic adventure, to let Sonic actually walk/jog around and jump from platform to platform without slipping around. 

I know processing and graphics arent everything, but when a game like sonic has several issues, like the camera or the slippery controls, I can only hope they do what they can to fix it :/

I don't mind the differentness to the way the planet is set up.

After all, it supposed to be a foreign, yet-undiscovered world (hence Lost World).

When I thought about it, I realized they could have enough processing power to give sonic several control schemes.

You could do that on a calculator.
  • Thumbs Up 5

Play Cool Edge on Sonic Unleashed, and tell me it's not stupid how long it takes for sonic to ground pound the switch before each door.

... you stomp three times on the same spot, and you can instantly jump straight out of a stomp. Are you -really- trying to use this an arguement for slippery controls, especially using Cool Edge as your main example?

• Thumbs Up 2

Now THIS is awesome news. Not only do we FINALLY have TWO new Sonic games to look forward to, but they also give the Wii U some more exclusive muscle! Needless to say, very happy about this turn of events and I'm looking forward to finding out more about both versions of Lost World. That screen certainly gives me some very good vibes.

No wonder Sega's been unusually quiet lately. They've had Ninty's help keeping their secret. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 5

Could be that, since SEGA aren't in the best position financially, developing something at "high next-gen standard" could be too risky and expensive for them right now.

While they get their heads around new tech and how to finance it, they continue to publish games on weaker tech that they already are familiar with. Makes sense to me.

New tech will get cheaper over the years, but as of right now, an AAA game of new-tech standard might not be within SEGA's realistic budget.

I suppose I see where you're coming from... I just hate to see Sonic being held back. If they manage to make this game something great, and NOT just another unleashed/generations clone, I'll be happier about it.

But until then, I guess we'll just have to wait and see :/

... you stomp three times on the same spot, and you can instantly jump straight out of a stomp. Are you -really- trying to use this an arguement for slippery controls, especially using Cool Edge as your main example?

You do slide out of a stomp in Unleashed though. Colours and Generations don't have stomp panels like that, but even if they did they'd be much easier as you do come to a dead stop, but can still jump out of it perfectly fine (almost crucial in Crisis City Act 2).

So then you mean Unleashed, because none of the slip-sliding around problems existed in Generations, as that game had no switch stomping puzzles.

No, it's still in Generations. It's not as bad, but it's still there. Just get the PC version and download the Sonic unleashed project mod. You get all the unleashed levels in generations.

When I thought about it, I realized they could have enough processing power to give sonic several control schemes. When he's faster, he can control like he does in Generations and Unleashed, but when he's slower, they can give him tighter controls like in Sonic adventure, to let Sonic actually walk/jog around and jump from platform to platform without slipping around. 

Generations is how I think a Sonic game should control. When you're walking around, it's easy to turn. Going fast? It's hard to turn. It's like in real life.

I'm not making this up. I just opened up Generations on the PC version and tested the walking physics.

My main problems with SA1 and SA2 is that Sonic turns too sharply when going fast, actually. This is more prominent in SA2 due to its linear design, while less noticable in SA1.

And you tell me to play more modern Sonic games? Unleashed, Colours and Generations are some of my favourites in the franchise. I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Super Spindash
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh, you were judging the entire games rather than just colour palette! Silly, how am I meant to tell you that when all we have is a single screenshot of the world? We have no idea what the style, design or overall mood is just from that, considering it's just a general overworld shot with absolutely no details on what the individual zones will look like or how the gameplay and story are going to play about. Probably be in-line with the recent games and carrying the feeling of the old games like it should be doing, but hey, we could be surprised! tongue.png

This picture represents such a high degree of happines that even Hang Castle from Heroes or Red Mountain from SA would look out-of-place in this game, so I'm not expecting to see something alike.

It looks like you guys lack logical thinking.

sonic_the_hedgehog_green_hill_zone.pngsonicg4_thumb.jpg

Sorry I'm not seeing it.

I do. Sonic 1 is less colorful than Generations. Because it's harder and you need to fucking see stuff on the screen.

sonic_heroes_pc_27.jpgsuper-mario-sunshine.jpg

Sorry I'm not seeing it.

About 20% of Heroes screenshot is pure black. You better use Seaside Hill screenshot. Well you know what? I'd be rather glad for Sonic to be like Heroes and Sunshine! Even that is better than latter games.

Edited by crystallize
  • Thumbs Up 1

No, it's still in Generations. It's not as bad, but it's still there. Just get the PC version and download the Sonic unleashed project mod. You get all the unleashed levels in generations.

Why would I give a shit that its only a problem in the PC version of Generations, with which you need to download an entirely optional modpack to actually experience it. Its not really a problem, and nowhere near as bad Heroes or Shadow.

You obviously didn't read the part where I explained why it being Cool Edge has nothing to do with it being slippery. I specifically said the ice parts werent around. the game itself is just slippery.

I honestly dont see how anyone can say otherwise. I'm not saying it's slippery to the point where it's unplayable, but how can anyone sit there and say, COMPARATIVELY, that sonic in unleashed or generations is harder to control at slower speeds than, oh, idk... any other platformer. mario? sonic adventure? 

You do slide out of a stomp in Unleashed though. Colours and Generations don't have stomp panels like that, but even if they did they'd be much easier as you do come to a dead stop, but can still jump out of it perfectly fine (almost crucial in Crisis City Act 2).

Oh, okay! I don't recall that at all... it's certainly not even there in Generations when you swap the Unleashed physics onto Modern Sonic, which is my most recent dabbling with Unleashed alongside the Unleashed Project. Sorry about that! D:

Then yeah, it was just an Unleashed thing. Sonic's controls are perfect at slow speed in Generations, especially with the non-slippery stomp and the fact his controls are much tighter than they'd ever been at slow speed. Makes precision platforming even easier to do than Mario, what with the charge-up and landing lag from the ground pound, and it's certainly much easier than it ever was in the Adventure games.

Why would I give a shit that its only a problem in the PC version of Generations, with which you need to download an entirely optional modpack to actually experience it. Its not really a problem, and nowhere near as bad Heroes or Shadow.

You're ignoring the point... I'm saying, why should we HAVE to play a sonic game where the levels play out so quickly that you dont notice the slippery controls? 

THAT's what I'm saying. Why can't we have a Sonic game where we can actually platform on segments and not have to be tricked into thinking the game is flawless lol. I don't want another speed-fest, I want to actually go around levels and do SOME form of exploration without flying all over the place. 

Yes, generations was better, but that doesnt mean it's still not slippery compared to other platform games. I dont know how else to explain this..

You're ignoring the point... I'm saying, why should we HAVE to play a sonic game where the levels play out so quickly that you dont notice the slippery controls? 

THAT's what I'm saying. Why can't we have a Sonic game where we can actually platform on segments and not have to be tricked into thinking the game is flawless lol. I don't want another speed-fest, I want to actually go around levels and do SOME form of exploration without flying all over the place. 

Yes, generations was better, but that doesnt mean it's still not slippery compared to other platform games. I dont know how else to explain this..

Sonic is different to other platform games. The control needs refinement, but even when its refined sufficiently, it still won't at all be similar to a standard platforming game.

And what this game plays like, is yet to be seen. We will have to wait till Monday, then E3.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

My main problems with SA1 and SA2 is that Sonic turns too sharply when going fast, actually. This is more prominent in SA2 due to its linear design, while less noticable in SA1.

Exactly, and I would agree with you. That's my point... SA1 and 2 both had solid controls when you werent going fast, BUT it turned too tightly when you went fast, and messed everything up.

I COMPLETELY agree with you. Because I feel unleashed and generations have the opposite problem. they control well when theyre fast, but not as good when youre not going fast. Is it still playable? yes, JUST like SA1 AND 2 if you were decent at the game.

What's wrong with wanting good fast controls and good slow controls? instead of settling for the "alright" controls generations has. it's only "alright" cause they barely make you use it. 

Let me guess the plot. This planet is artificial and can be reconstructed in any way a person wants so long as he has a certain mystical object, and Eggman wants to remake it in his own image. And Sonic has to stop him.

And what this game plays like, is yet to be seen. We will have to wait till Monday, then E3.

I think you just mean E3. On Monday expect only a CG teaser.

Edited by Balding Spider

Let me guess the plot. This planet is artificial and can be reconstructed in any way a person wants so long as he has a certain mystical object, and Eggman wants to remake it in his own image. And Sonic has to stop him.

I think that'll probably be exactly right, looking at the planet it looks like it can be moved around.

DAMN IT, CARBO! It's Sonic Lost World, not Sonic: Lost World :P *nit pick*

Sonic is different to other platform games. The control needs refinement, but even when its refined sufficiently, it still won't at all be similar to a standard platforming game.

exactly! lol im not saying it has to be perfect, but they definitely need to be refined. and Im not the only one that thinks so apparently XD

I hope those hexagonal shapes signifies a separate Act, and in that sense I hope this game has a good, long playtime.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic's controls are perfect at slow speed in Generations, especially with the non-slippery stomp and the fact his controls are much tighter than they'd ever been at slow speed. 

I'm not talking about the slippery stomp, Im talking about actually running to the switch and pressing it. it takes more effort to walk to something specific and hit it than any other game. 

The controls arent perfect, but they arent bad. they just need to be tweaked more.

This was announced today and as I saw it, I thought "This will be a game to watch."

And it will. Nintendo-SEGA partnership, and the next Direct to most likely feature more details. Less than thirty days to wait.

As to all the negativity - I understand. I really do. People have supported a console that isn't Nintendo and have had a healthy amount of Sonic games from that. After all Heroes appeared on all consoles within generation six, then we had 06 on just the PS3/X360. It's sort of alternated from there. Those Nintendo lost out on a few and those Xbox/Playstation lost out on a few [although gained a few when Adventure 2 was ported to XBLA/PSN]. The Nintendo exclusive deal then, will upset that install base on the other two consoles.

As to the why, either Nintendo want some WiiU support, or this is SEGA returning to Nintendo consoles for most of this generation.