Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Detective Shadzter

Hmm, it's interesting that the Oracles just came out on the eShop and this will likely be the next handheld Zelda games.  The Oracles are supposed to take place after LttP and feature the same Link, but it's always been a problem that he doesn't appear to recognise Zelda in those games.  Possibly LttP2 will retcon the relation between LttP and Oracles?  Like say the Oracles are a generation later?  Or, as speculated, the game takes place after the Oracles and Link's Awakening, which would provide time enough for things to have changed.  ...Maybe the big shock at the start is a clear tie-in to the end of Link's Awakening?

I've never been keen on the idea of explaining why Link and Zelda didn't recognize each other in the Oracle games. It's easy enough to ignore on the grounds of it just being a mistake, and I think any attempt to justify why it happened would just make things needlessly complicated.

Then again, the Dark World's in this and probably the Master Sword is too, so who even knows where this game might go? This could be about time travel, or it could be an alternate-timeline version of ALttP, or the Dark World could be a painting, or everything could be a painting, or it could all be a dream again, or... yeah. So there might well be room for a subplot where Link and Zelda lose their memories for some reason, I guess. I just kinda doubt it.

I've never been keen on the idea of explaining why Link and Zelda didn't recognize each other in the Oracle games. It's easy enough to ignore on the grounds of it just being a mistake, and I think any attempt to justify why it happened would just make things needlessly complicated.

I actually agree on this point.  I think we all know the real reason why Link and Zelda don't recognise each other is because the games weren't made to come after LttP.  Best to just ignore it, like any of the other problems that arise from fitting all the games into a single timeline.  Ignore it or headcanon it.

...Actually, as far as returning characters go, maybe the seven maidens will do something other than being trapped in crystals this time around, and we'll get to see what they're about when not being all sacred.  Given the new arrangement of the timeline, also, perhaps they could be imbued with features recalling the Sages they're aligned with?

• Thumbs Up 1

I doubt Nintendo will be willing to change the design of anything that appeared in the original ALttP that much for fear of alienating anyone, but that was always on my wishlist for an ALttP remake or sequel or whatever. I don't think it would have to be too blatant; just call out each maiden's element and have, say, the forest maiden be the shortest one, the fire maiden be kind of chunky, the light maiden wear some kind of mildly bird-themed outfit, the shadow maiden claim to be a relative of the current Impa...

• Thumbs Up 1

There's a trailer for the game on Nintendo's YouTube.  It's called A Link Between Worlds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAluniNRibs

• Thumbs Up 2

Nifty title, nifty logo. I like very much.

Nothing much new in the footage, though, except that the stamina/magic bar is purple now. I've been kind of hoping to see some town action or at least some dialogue, since that's where ALttP could use the most drastic improvement.

...oh, but what's it called in Japanese? Is it still Triforce of the Gods 2? I guess that makes sense if there are literally two Triforces or whatever...

Edited by Octarine

Oh god the art

char.png

I was expecting SNES era manual art. Instead they gave us a masterpiece.

Looks like a mix between the AlltP artwork and the Oracle version and a bit of new. I like it.

Looks like a mix between the AlltP artwork and the Oracle version and a bit of new. I like it.

A bit of New? You mean he's actually wearing pants this time? That's definitely new alright...yep.

Edited by Chrononego

He had those white pants/tights in the Oracle games.

...oh, look. I didn't notice before, but I guess it's completely indisputable that he's using the Master Sword in this game.

Towards the end of the year hm? Hope it's not too long after the US release cos I actually really want to get this. Looks tons better than Phantom Hourglass and I like that it's a sequel to LttP. This Link is adorable. XP

...oh, look. I didn't notice before, but I guess it's completely indisputable that he's using the Master Sword in this game.

:C

Nintendo, please follow your own damn canon.

• Thumbs Up 1

There could be... I dunno, time travel or something? It could be the Master Sword's Dark World doppelganger? Fi's just sleepwalking?

There could be... I dunno, time travel or something? It could be the Master Sword's Dark World doppelganger? Fi's just sleepwalking?

"MASTER SWORD SLEEPS FOREVER"

NOT "MASTER SWORD SLEEPS FOR A LITTLE WHILE BEFORE GETTING BORED AND DICKING AROUND HYRULE AGAIN"

Edited by Ridley
  • Thumbs Up 2

"MASTER SWORD SLEEPS FOREVER"

NOT "MASTER SWORD SLEEPS FOR A LITTLE WHILE BEFORE GETTING BORED AND DICKING AROUND HYRULE AGAIN"

Master Sword is in the Oracle games

A lot of text in old Zeldas is retconned so this is nothin new really, but I think a lot of people will notice this. I'm sure it'll be explained somehow.

It's not canon in Oracle, though, is it?  It's just a bonus.

I suppose that much is arguable both ways.

I don't theoretically mind this Link finding a way to use the Master Sword again so much, but I think the idea of the legendary Ganon-killing weapon being spent for good in this timeline was kind of fitting with the whole downfall thing, and it made the original Link seem way more hardcore for killing Ganon without it. What I'd really prefer to avoid is some kind of retcon that he was using the Master Sword all along.

• Thumbs Up 2

I prefer my objectively ridiculous theory that the "sleeps forever" cutscene at the end of LttP actually took place after a timeskip and is really at the end of ALBW.  So I would imagine that cutscene to be reiterated at the end of the game.

As for the release dates, I imagine they won't want it to release too much later in Europe than in America, given how big a title this is.  I figure they just aren't sure yet whether it'll be late November or early December.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another way they could do it is imply that A Link Between Worlds is a forgotten or missing part of "the legend" that was presented in LttP. If LttP is told like a story or legend, then the legend is incomplete.

Similarly to how Okami was implied to be a missing part from the legend of Amaterasu, I really loved that approach to it.

So reall all they'd need to do is open it with something like "there is one legend that time forgot..." or something pretentious like that! And viola, every problem ever is solved.

• 1 month later...

Some new stuff today

Here's the redesign of Link in Between Worlds

WKhS3Rf.jpg

Left one is newer one. Fucking love it.

Here's the Nintendo Direct trailer

And some info about item shops
(source link I posted above links to Miiverse, you may or may not have to sign in to see it)

One more thing, new information about The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds was also revealed in this Nintendo Direct. We talked about how Link will be travelling between two worlds. And as you can see from the video, Link’s ability to transform into a drawing will play a huge role in the game.

The presence of two worlds like light and dark have been a recurring theme in Zelda games in the past, and this time, a kingdom exists in the other world in the way Hyrule exists in the main world. The story will revolve around the events that will unfold in that kingdom, and I think you’ll have fun experiencing the game’s distinctive world that is like no other in the series. I also have a screenshot to show you today.

This shows the item shop that are common in Zelda games, and the character standing next to Link is looking very suspicious. We’ll be talking about this character at a later time, but for now take a closer look at the items that are on sale. There’s the bow and arrow, the boomerang and the hookshot that are all familiar to the series.

If you noticed something strange with this picture, you’re quite the Zelda fanatic! That’s right, shops in the past Zelda games sold things that would run out once you use them like arrows and bombs, items that needed replenishing. They have never sold an item that doesn’t go away after each use like the boomerang or the hookshot.

This shop is a very important place in this game, and we hope to talk more about it soon. Until then, I hope you’ll use your imagination wondering what this shop is all about.

And as confirmed by Iwata in the trailer, this Link is a different Link from ALTTP, and it takes place many years after ALTTP.

Game's looking really fantastic.

Edited by Nintendoga

Interesting that it's a new Link. That's not what I expected, and it kind of rules out getting a bunch of cool cameos from Oracle characters like I was unreasonably hoping for, but they could go some interesting directions with this. It'd be cool if they could use this game to connect the NES games to the rest of the series a little more strongly somehow.

(my new unreasonable hope is for a young NES-era Impa to appear)