Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Detective Shadzter

I just can't remember what the deal with the maidens was. Were they the sages' actual physical descendants, or were they just ~successors~ or something? If it's the former, one of the maidens probably actually was Fat Impa, or at least related to her.

Also: another maiden was probably a Goron in a dress.

I actually had a good think about the Maidens back when I was reading Hyrule Historia but I've forgotten my musings now, oops. However I'm guessing the sages would have awoken good 'n' proper in that timeline so the maidens are probably descendants of them, I guess one of them would be Impa or someone related to Impa.

Also the Goddesses in this series kinda intervene way too often, afaik the races besides Hylians were locked in the Golden Land or something so there are only Hylians in Hyrule, Gorons and shit were probably turned into Hylians too 8l

"There is a '2' in the Japanese title. So, yeah, I think as I described today, it's an all-new game, it is an all-new story. From a story perspective there are connections, so it does fall after A Link to the Past. And it's set in the same world, but introduces that new gameplay mechanic. So, yeah, I guess by that definition ..."

No way this can be a prequel.

Metal Gear Solid 3 is essentially a prequel to the MGS series, and the MG series as a whole.

And there is at least one Nintendo game that released after another, set in the same universe, yet took place before it.

Fire-emblem-gba.244106.jpg

So there is some precedent for this matter.

Edited by Joshua

Castle Vidcons celebrated the reveal in typically hilarious fashion:

iJoFNpC.jpg

Assuming the game occurs post-ALttP, there may be no need for the Master Sword. Plenty of Links have used other, less magical swords, or magic swords with other titles.

I wonder if there would be any way for Zelda's developers to re-unite two, or all three, of the series' split timelines somehow? It'd make for a pretty epic (mini-series of?) games, perhaps a bit like those multi-Doctor stories on Doctor Who, and they'd leave the door open for future wibbly wobbly timey wimeyness and both new and old baddies.

It sounds like it is going to be a sequel, then, but if that's the case, I think I'm going to assume that it concerns a different Link and happens after Link's Awakening.  The Oracles and Awakening are kind of like side-stories that don't impact on what's happening in Hyrule much, which is why it's described in relation to LttP (plus the fact that it literally is that game's map and art style).  I'd also guess at no Master Sword, partly due to the above scene and partly because Nintendo have shown plenty of willingness to use other swords in the past.

If that's the case, then who's the villain?  If Ganon's in it, he'll have to be resurrected first, as he's dead at this point, although he's apparently pretty easy to revive as this happens in Oracles, he's back again by the original Zelda, there's the threat of his resurrection in Zelda 2... actually, the world of LttP is pretty conducive to a Ganon resurrection, so I figure that's what'll happen.  He hasn't been the villain for a little while, now that I think about it, so this may just be his big comeback.

Going back to the title, I don't think it'll be called LTTP2. The Japanese name isn't part of the logo and the English trailers have no title at all. Definitely seems like a tentative title to me. It'll probably be named after whatever item lets Link turn into a mural. The second world á la Dark Work will probably also have to do with it.

A Link to the Pastel?

Sometimes I'm really proud of the people who post here.

If that's the case, then who's the villain?  If Ganon's in it, he'll have to be resurrected first, as he's dead at this point, although he's apparently pretty easy to revive as this happens in Oracles, he's back again by the original Zelda, there's the threat of his resurrection in Zelda 2... actually, the world of LttP is pretty conducive to a Ganon resurrection, so I figure that's what'll happen.  He hasn't been the villain for a little while, now that I think about it, so this may just be his big comeback.

I'm kind of hoping he's not the villain. I feel like the next time they use Ganondorf it should be in a unique way- maybe giving him a different background, or new motivations, or even assigning him a completely different role in the story.

Also, regarding his "revival" in the Oracle games:

The Twinrova sisters botched his resurrection process because they couldn't sacrifice Zelda, which brought him back as a mindless killing machine rather than his normal self.

I feel like they couldn't just resurrect him and leave it at that since it's apparently hard to do.

Edited by Solly

Not at all interested. I know they're trying to be 100% faithful to the original, but that in itself is a dumb thing to do. The art direction is bland, the combat is annoying and dated, and the music quality isn't appealing.

I vastly prefer the oracle games, links awakening, and even minish cap.

That's art from the original Legend of Zelda.

A Link to the Past's official art for link looked like this.

Lttp_Link.png

So my point still technically stands. :V

But yeah, he does look a lot like the art you posted.

I know this. I was just pointing out that his design was closer to the orginal art from LoZ than his sprites in LTTP.

Not at all interested. I know they're trying to be 100% faithful to the original, but that in itself is a dumb thing to do. The art direction is bland, the combat is annoying and dated, and the music quality isn't appealing.

I vastly prefer the oracle games, links awakening, and even minish cap.

We haven't heard in-game music? And how can you prefer other games if you haven't played this yet? And the combat is the same as LA and the Oracles with at least a few additions from MC (Such as holding an arrow in the bow and strafing).

• Thumbs Up 2

Loads of new footage here, incase you guys haven't seen it.

It's just showing dungeon gameplay, gives you an idea of how smooth it looks, it's clearly learnt a lot from games like Minish Cap too.

• Thumbs Up 3

I must admit, I'm increasingly disappointed in the decision to be just so faithful to LttP.  It's a real dilemma - the drawing gimmick just looks so good and the use of the third dimension in the dungeons is great, and yet it's pasted onto this amazingly uninspired and conventional setting.  I'm sure it'll be good, but I was expecting something all-new, not a glorified remake.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well it's not a remake, it's a new game, and for all we know the usage of the same overworld is more a beta thing than anything. We did get text saying "footage isn't final" or whatever too, so I'm staying cautiously optimistic.

Plus the potential for puzzles and exploration using the new ability is amazing, there are going to be so many secrets you'll only be able to find by using this thing in certain places I can feel it!

• Thumbs Up 1

As a person who's loving the original LttP (haven't finished yet) I can't stand the games overall aesthetic.  It just looks very bland and it would've been better if they based the models and artstyle off of the simplistic yet charming style of the in game sprites or the official artwork.  This NSMB approach is just ugly to look at IMO, sorry

• Thumbs Up 2

Am I the only one who doesn't see the NSMBishness? It looks like a 3D version of LTTP to me.

I dunno if you've read the thread, but it's literally only few of us that don't like the art stlye (or lack thereof).

I'm interested in this game since I prefer the 2D Zeldas

I'm just hoping the fucking Darknuts aren't needlessly annoying this time. Were they annoying in Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks (or were they in at all)?

Edited by Solkia

I don't particularly adore the visuals either but it's preferable to having the 50th Toon Link game in a row, remember guys this isn't Mario, this is a visual style Zelda has never had before, it's new and it's probably not even here to stay. There are plenty of opportunities in the future for Nintendo to make more Zeldas of high-quality spritework, but now we have this new kind of style and I'm really looking forward to the official art too that'll hopefully bring everything to life.

And if you see the dungeon in action like offscreen footage has been showing today, the dungeon layout looks so clever, fun and meticulously crafted, boring dungeons is something even previous 2D Zeldas suffered from! I really can't help but look forward to LttP2 simply from a gameplay perspective, surely that isn't weird?

Fair enough if you're bored of NSMB, they release a new Mario game with the same visuals every day nowadays.

But this isn't Mario, this is the first 2D Zelda since 2005 with a visual style never really employed by the series at all before.. and possibly it'll never be used again. I really hope people don't write off their excitement simply because of questionable visual-choices.

EDIT: Did anyone notice how the magic-meter refills over time and how using arrows and the hammer is tied to it? Newness! Convenient newness!

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 2

As I mentioned in the Yoshi's Island topic, graphics don't always make a good game! See Sonic 06 (IMO they weren't that great anyway XP) and COD:WaW. Why is everything about graphics nowadays and not just simple gameplay? 

Not talking about not liking it, I just don't see the similarities to NSMB.

Which again, I think like nobody else has even mentioned. But I totally get comment anyway. Everything is super smooth, barely textured, mildly glossy and lacking in any sort of style that's benefited by 3D. And that's exactly what NSMB is.

Gameplay footage is cool though, I must admit that much. I'll keeps my eyes on this game and hopefully get it. 3D Zelda is more appealing to me right off the bat, but I enjoyed MC so you never know. Is ALTTP coming to Wii U VC? I'll buy that if it is.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wonder what compelled Nintendo to give us a glimpse of the Moldorm boss, of all things. Everyone hates that bastard.

The boss music is wonderfully remixed though. <3

Since Moldorm's here, and the switch gimmick is in this dungeon, I wonder if this dungeon is the actual Tower of Hera, just reconstructed after many years.

More footage, this time with direct audio.

dat remix

While the visuals may be a tad bland, I'm really liking the sound design.

EDIT: Did anyone notice how the magic-meter refills over time and how using arrows and the hammer is tied to it? Newness! Convenient newness!

Yeah, that's pretty cool. I guess the idea is to discourage spamming item use.