Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Detective Shadzter

The music and sound-effects do sound awesome, better than I was expecting.

However, I too hope that each dungeon has different music.. the repeated music in LttP was one of my least fav things about it.

And; I would guess the Moldorm boss isn't a dungeon final boss but more like a semi-boss in the final game, they're in lots of 3D Zeldas and they're usually mid-bosses.

• Thumbs Up 2

And the combat is the same as LA and the Oracles with at least a few additions from MC (Such as holding an arrow in the bow and strafing).

I disagree. I find myself always getting hit by enemies in LttP. The hit detection has issues with it such as short range arc attack with the sword. That and I find it tedious how everytime you hit an enemy they fly so far back. They've improved all the gameplay issues I had with LttP ever since Links Awakening which I'm glad they did.

I'm just going by what I'm seeing in the gameplay trailer which looks too faithful to LttP's gameplay. It feels as if they're only doing this for nostalgia's sake.

As I've stated earlier in the statuses, I'm not all that thrilled for this one. I can see the appeal of returning to the series roots in some way, but why LttP of all things? The original two Zeldas did some unique and interesting things that have yet to be revisited in the series, and the later 2D games (such as Link's Awakening and the Oracle games) improved on the 2D formula in most ways I can think of. It just feels like stripping too much of the good things the later games did away for not any real payoff, I guess. 

I mean, good for you guys who really like ALttP and everything, but to me it just feels like a nostalgia trip for a game I have no nostalgia for. Might just be me, but I just wanted to get that off my chest.

I mean, good for you guys who really like ALttP and everything, but to me it just feels like a nostalgia trip for a game I have no nostalgia for.

You may not, but about 20 billion people who played it back in the day do.  A Link to the Past is one of the most widely recognized and popular Zelda games, generally being the "second choice" for people who don't think Ocarina of Time is the best fucking game ever (coughit'smajora'smaskcough).

Cashing in on it may not be something we like, but it's a smart move on the financial front.

It's not about LttP. I don't even like LttP that much.

It's a new 2D Zelda, the first since Minish Cap, and it's gonna be using elements introduced by Minish Cap and the Oracle games as well as LttP. If you've seen the footage, you can see that gameplay wise it's far more like MC than LttP.

Literally the main reason I'm so excited is because it's a new modern 2D Zelda, I don't care if it's a sequel to LttP or Minish Cap or a 2D sequel to Skyward Sword, it's still a 2D Zelda.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 6

You may not, but about 20 billion people who played it back in the day do.  A Link to the Past is one of the most widely recognized and popular Zelda games, generally being the "second choice" for people who don't think Ocarina of Time is the best fucking game ever (coughit'smajora'smaskcough).

Cashing in on it may not be something we like, but it's a smart move on the financial front.

20...billion people? That's a LOT of fans.

Edited by KrazyBean
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's a new 2D Zelda, the first since Minish Cap,

What, no love for Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks

• Thumbs Up 2

20...billion people? That's a LOT of fans.

That's also a lot of electricity and wind.  That's an absolutely excessive number of fans.

• Thumbs Up 2

What, no love for Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks

(none at all from here)

They weren't 2D (or 3D) Zeldas either way imo, they had some nice dungeon ideas but besides that there was nothing robust to them. Good games, but not good Zelda games.

It's not about LttP. I don't even like LttP that much.

It's a new 2D Zelda, the first since Minish Cap, and it's gonna be using elements introduced by Minish Cap and the Oracle games as well as LttP. If you've seen the footage, you can see that gameplay wise it's far more like MC than LttP.

Literally the main reason I'm so excited is because it's a new modern 2D Zelda, I don't care if it's a sequel to LttP or Minish Cap or a 2D sequel to Skyward Sword, it's still a 2D Zelda.

I like 2D Zeldas as well, but there's not really any creative spark to this one. What is it, precisely, about ALttP that makes it worth returning to over the other 2D games, other than financial reasons? I'm not so attached to the gameplay of the 2D Zelda games to up and buy what looks to be a by-the-numbers experience just to re-experience it.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

(none at all from here)

They weren't 2D (or 3D) Zeldas either way imo, they had some nice dungeon ideas but besides that there was nothing robust to them. Good games, but not good Zelda games.

I liked them both.  They weren't amazing, but Linebeck was a really fantastic character.  Spirit Tracks wasn't anything special, but it wasn't an awful game either.  I think they're both special in their own ways, and to say that they're straight up not Zelda games is absolutely ridiculous.

I mean yeah, '06 was bad, but like it or not, it's a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's also a lot of electricity and wind.  That's an absolutely excessive number of fans.

ALttP fans are over-populating the world!!!!

Edited by KrazyBean
  • Thumbs Up 1

I like 2D Zeldas as well, but there's not really any creative spark to this one. What is it, precisely, about ALttP that makes it worth returning to over the other 2D games, other than financial reasons? I'm not so attached to the gameplay of the 2D Zelda games to up and buy what looks to be a by-the-numbers experience just to re-experience it.

It's got a huge fanbase, but I still think it's too early to say this one doesn't have a creative spark. Did you see the gameplay footage that was posted with the music? That dungeon seems to have plenty of a creative spark design-wise, even the the locale wasn't much special, the puzzles and stuff already look genius.

It's not a re-experience, it looks totally different to LttP gameplay wise 8l the only major similarities is the music and the appearance of Link himself?

I liked them both.  They weren't amazing, but Linebeck was a really fantastic character.  Spirit Tracks wasn't anything special, but it wasn't an awful game either.  I think they're both special in their own ways, and to say that they're straight up not Zelda games is absolutely ridiculous.

I mean yeah, '06 was bad, but like it or not, it's a Sonic game.

I didn't say they weren't Zelda games, I said that in their own right they're decent enough games but as Zelda games they don't really stand up because they're so darn shallow.

I love Zelda overworlds ok, I love exploring, why can't I explore.

• Thumbs Up 1

You're really assuming a lot regarding this game and along with some other people believe that it will literally be an exact retread of ALTTP which by the looks of that paper Link gimmick is definitely NOT what they're going for at all.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 5

Yeah I'm really not seeing where the idea that it's gonna be little more than an LttP remake is coming from. I've seen a lot of people around the net thinking that, it really doesn't look much like LttP to me? It just looks like a 2D Zelda :S yay?

It's got a huge fanbase, but I still think it's too early to say this one doesn't have a creative spark. Did you see the gameplay footage that was posted with the music? That dungeon seems to have plenty of a creative spark design-wise, even the the locale wasn't much special, the puzzles and stuff already look genius.

It's not a re-experience, it looks totally different to LttP gameplay wise 8l the only major similarities is the music and the appearance of Link himself?

Yes, I saw the gameplay footage. No, I didn't consider it very creative. The most it has going for it is the bits of 3D design and Paint-Link, but the first is just a more pronounced version of what the original ALttP already had, and the second could easily get very annoying very quickly, if not balanced well and doesn't seem all that important besides. Puzzles seem standard, which I don't think is bad at all, but not necessarily a huge point in the game's favor. Let me say up front: it is not bad by any means. It looks okay. But there doesn't seem to be much that sets it apart from a the rest in the games in the franchise, who already suffer accusations of being too same-y.

And as to your second point, I am sorry to say that I do not understand. Why should they go about parading a game as "Blankety Blank 2" and spend a decent amount of time showing off its similarities to its predecessor if they aren't at all alike besides music? The Nintendo Direct specified a different story, of course, but we don't really know anything about that at this point.

You're really assuming a lot regarding this game.....

A trailer's job is to show off some choice bits of the game, the ones that will (hopefully) get fans and non-fans alike of your series excited by the prospects of your new game. What has been shown off regarding ALttP2 is that it is very similar to another entry in the franchise I'm not all that fond of, looks a bit wonky, and possesses some neat little 3D things here and there. If the game ends up being excellent, then by all means I'm happy to include it in my library. But for now I'm afraid I've been shown nothing that excites me.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma
  • Thumbs Up 1

They weren't 2D (or 3D) Zeldas either way imo, they had some nice dungeon ideas but besides that there was nothing robust to them.

... So what? They're still "2D" (as in, top-down perspective) Zelda games.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm quite fond of Spirit Tracks, but mostly because it's got a great soundtrack and pretty good bosses and my favourite version of Zelda and some other good characters and traaaains oh man I love trains. It's fairly shallow and the touch controls are a bit terrible (they work, but they just plain ain't fun), but I can stomach the gameplay because the rest of the package is good and/or personally appealing to me.

I'd flat-out call Phantom Hourglass pretty bad, though. I'm not certain how a game can reference Link's Awakening and make itself worse, but PH managed.

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 3

... So what? They're still "2D" (as in, top-down perspective) Zelda games.

Technically yes, but they're not really the same kind of game as LttP through Minish Cap is what I mean, they're another kind of Zelda altogether.

And that's ok, they tried, I for one don't want to see one like those two ever again.

Also I agree with a lot of what Octarine said, Spirit Tracks did have some really cool bosses and Zelda was awesome (but for me she's second place to SS Zelda who was even more awesome)

PH is probably my least favourite canon Zelda game by far.

This looks a hella lot better than those shitty DS Zelda games. I'm not a massive fan of overhead Zeldas but I can appreciate the formula and this is looking to be pretty good so far.

I'm also glad they're using the old Link because I prefer his design way more than the modern ones in OOT/TP/SS.

• Thumbs Up 3

Really impressed with the new gameplay footage and the music. Can't wait to see more. 

I actually...loved...Sprit Tracks and...Phantom...Hourglass...

As for this game, I honestly can't say I'm the biggest fan of the art style itself, but the 2D gimmick is really interesting and I really like how smooth the game is playing too. If I ever get a 3DS, I'll be looking forward to this one.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm also glad they're using the old Link because I prefer his design way more than the modern ones in OOT/TP/SS.

Really? His 3D model looks like Jimmy Neutron, I'd much rather they came up with a new look rather than trying to ape the old one.

• Thumbs Up 2

The model looks fine. If nothing else I was worried at first glance that they were using the Wind Waker style yet again.

• Thumbs Up 2