Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Detective Shadzter

albwart11__large.jpg

Do you guys think this might be Link's family? 

Oh my god that child Link is fucking adorable to the max.

• Thumbs Up 1

This got a release date? Dang, November!

So who is betting on this game suffering from the Zelda cycle extreme due to having a new way about items and dungeons? I'm just pessimistic I guess. I see a lot of "IT SUCKS BECAUSE IT'S THE SAME, CHANGE IT" then "THEY CHANGED IT, NOW IT SUCKS!" with Zelda.

You know what they say, if it's not broken don't fix it

He reminds me of the flute boy. His outfit and color patterns coincide.

Spot on!

Edited by Jix Hedgehog

If that is Link's legit mom, pop and lil' bro I'll freaking die.

That's just adorable.

I always like it when Link's got some family around. He shouldn't always have to be a super orphan or a... whatever his deal was in Twilight Princess.

I also like it whenever a new Zelda game comes up with a completely different reason why Link wears the tunic and hat. It's a knight outfit, it's a Kokiri outfit, it's the legendary hero's clothes, he wore the tunic already but the hat's a garden gnome, or, uhh... whatever the deal was in Twilight Princess. Wasn't he beamed into the tunic like a magical girl in that game?

Anyway, if those people are his family and Link's tunic is a variation on their traditional outfit, that'd be double-cute.

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 4

So who is betting on this game suffering from the Zelda cycle extreme due to having a new way about items and dungeons? I'm just pessimistic I guess. I see a lot of "IT SUCKS BECAUSE IT'S THE SAME, CHANGE IT" then "THEY CHANGED IT, NOW IT SUCKS!" with Zelda.

Ya see, there's the thing. The "Zelda Cycle" assumes that, instead of a body of individuals who share the same general interests but have different tastes, a fandom is actually just a magnificently hypocritical hive mind that seeks only to have the worst possible reaction at any given moment. I dislike this game, but you like it. Bam. Zelda cycle broken.

Argh. I just hate it whenever these things are brought up, sorry.

I think that the picture shown is probably Link's family, which is one other way this game is bucking the trends.  Has Link ever had more than one living family member before, if even that?

Meanwhile, knowing that the Dark World - or whatever it's called this time around - has actual human(oid)s in it and a civilisation is a pretty enormous twist on the original.  I'm still not amazingly enthused about the many parts of Hyrule which seem identical to ALttP, but in terms of plot this game looks like a huge step forward, and I'm eager to see what kind of a story they're telling here.

It'll also be interesting to consider how ALBW reflects on the upcoming Zelda Wii U, which they've also said will rethink some of the conventions of the series.  The fact that Ganondorf has been out of the picture for the last three new Zelda games makes me wonder if ALBW and Zelda U are setting up a post-Ganon vision for the series.

Reviving this topic due to new material from today's Nintendo Direct, which alleviated some of my concerns about the game.

It's confirmed that the shop seen in Aonuma's Miiverse screenshot and run by Ravio (the bunny mask chap who Iwata went out of his way to tell us has nothing to do with Nabbit) lends and later sells you the usual dungeon equipment from early on in the game, allowing you to progress to and through the dungeons in the order you desire.  But there's also quite a bit of entirely original-looking overworld, cutscene, and character footage, especially towards the end... "Hilda," eh?

I found new screenshots, too.  Apparently Sahasrahla's still around, somehow, and we get our first mention of Ganon and a look at the Light World map.

http://nintendoeverything.com/zelda-a-link-between-worlds-screenshots-3/

Congratulations, Nintendo, you turned around my opinion of this game.

Edit: But wait, there's more!  A bunch of new art images, some of them character art, others from what appears to be a hand-drawn recap of ALttP that'll presumably play at the start of the game.  Including Link's family (parents and younger sibling?) and an Agahnim-Gerudo-looking villain from the other world.

http://nintendoeverything.com/zelda-a-link-between-worlds-art/

On the video at around 1:42 at the bottom right. I spy Majora's Mask! Probably just a cameo though. inb4 wild Majora's Mask remake confirmed speculations.

I'm seriously liking the sound of that random order deal for the dungeons.

I think that the picture shown is probably Link's family, which is one other way this game is bucking the trends.  Has Link ever had more than one living family member before, if even that?

Yep. In Wind Waker, Link had a sister, Aryll, and a grandmother.

Good point.  Actually, in retrospect, I should have just said "living parents."  In all the games I can think of Link's had older relatives who are a further step away - I think it was his uncle in ALttP, his grandfather in Minish Cap... it's never a full family and there is always at least the implication of orphanhood.  To be fair, that could still be true in ALBW - he could be living with his uncle and aunt and cousin - but it's still an unusually complete family for the series, with strangely little bereavement, unless Ganonghim swoops in and kills them all in the intro.

I wonder if they're trying to give Link more characterisation - more background and general grounding, rather than being someone who's just there and whose backstory doesn't matter.

Heh, that's totally Majora's Mask in Ravio's shop.

... -downtrodden sigh- We're not getting MM3D, are we, Daddy Iwata?

Check out this slightly outdated screenshot featuring Roof Tree's brother, Floor Tree:zlCfzRFGeVspn8UHme_zps12089387.jpeg

Look at Link more closely. He's not wearing his normal tunic. The clothes he is wearing here resemble this guy's:

95031_CTRP_BZL_char07_2_R_ad.jpg

Also, LTTP Link continues to be a mystery of aging:

95024_CTRP_BZL_illuSS05_R_ad.jpg

Edited by MarcelloF

• 2 weeks later...

Japanese site opened:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/bzlj/index.html

Unless not everything loaded for me, the only new screens I see are the ones on the left, which are Village of Outcasts and a cutscene in the sanctuary.

And more importantly Nintendo post a gorgeous new artwork on Facebook:

1384385_377317895734480_314909830_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=377317895734480&set=a.293755100757427.1073741828.290107137788890&type=1

Right when I saw this artwork OOT's title screen music started playing in my head.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'm about 99% sure that's a woman. I hope it's Impa. I've always kind of liked her when she got to appear, and Skyward Sword made a big enough deal out of her that I wouldn't be surprised if she finally started showing up regularly.

On the other hand, she could just be another member of possibly-Link's-family. Or she could be both, I guess; the rule with Impa seems to be that she's completely different every time she appears, and being Link's grandmother or whatever would certainly fit that criterion.

It is most likely Impa. I deleted that part of my post. She was shown in the last ND with Zelda in the throne room.

Also, there's a Zelda panel going on at I believe NYCC:

https://twitter.com/jose_otero

Link traveled to "lower world" and back. Showed a new collectible called a Maimai.

Maybe that leaf propeller thing we've seen?

Bottom screen zooms in on map. Returning Maimai's to the Mother Mainai upgrades your items. Upgraded bow fires three arrows at once.

So now I'm assuming it's that hermit crab thing on the map. Cool to see upgrades return!

Smaller dungeons that house treasure can be found as well as standard dungeons.

Woah! That's awesome!

Yuga is the name of the enemy in the trailer that turned people into paintings.

So, not Ganondorf.

Edited by MarcelloF

Lorule? They were having too much pun. 

(And again Zelda is kidnapped, what a shock.)

Edited by VisionaryBlur
  • Thumbs Up 1

So we have Lorule instead of the Dark World. Cool.

Also:

Yuga is the name of the enemy in the trailer that turned people into paintings.

So it's not Ganondorf.

Something related to Majora's Mask is in ALBW.

Probably just the mask at Ravio's, but who knows ohmy.png

More art:

j87z.jpg

Edited by MarcelloF