Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Detective Shadzter

Prequel is what I'm thinking, actually, although given how closely they've emulated the map, what I actually think is that they started doing a LttP remake and realised too late that this was out of step with what people actually wanted.

One thing I haven't seen pointed out yet: That green bar in the lower-left is some kind of energy metre.  We see it depleting when Link shoots an arrow in the trailer, consuming almost half the bar, which regenerates fairly rapidly.  Chances are it can be upgraded, but it's probably also there so that you can't spam arrows and other similar moves.  ...Makes me wonder if there's infinite ammunition in the game...

I never really found 3D helpful in SM3DL besides those special rooms. It looked nice, but that's it really. Never found jumps harder to judge without it on.

This was pretty much gonna be my reply to Solly lol.

I can't argue with it just naturally annoying some people due to eyesight differences etc mind you.  I guess I can't argue too strongly, much as some people "just don't like it", I find myself reaching a point I just want to say "I just like it more than not having it".

• Thumbs Up 2

Ohhhh, I've only played a bit of LttP because I couldn't really get into it, just like Minish Cap. These 2D Zelda games always leave you wondering where to go to next, no mission objective or anything. Hopefully this one won't have it though! But anyway, I like the drawing gimmick (wonder how that happened?) and the character model is cute. Can't wait to hear more about the story!

Edited by Gabz Girl

Honestly, A Link to the Past is STILL my favorite Zelda game in the whole series. Twilight Princess is a close second. Although I did like Skyward Sword and I thought the gameplay was awesome the story was a bit disappointing and I hated the graphical appearance. In fact, I don't like the prospect of this because of it.

It doesn't make any logical sense to me. The graphics don't look that great (well, they're WAY better than Toon Link, but its still far too "toony" for my taste), and I'm worried that its going to destroy what was good about LttP.

But, I'll reserve my judgements until we see the final game.

Also, I'm kinda irritated about the fact that they decided to direct-copy the main game world of LttP here. I mean, its a nice reference and all, but why did they need to do it here if its a new game and new storyline when they've never done it in the past? The entire series is made up of Chaos Architecture. The world maps are never the same.

Twilight Princess is admittedly pretty close to Ocarina of Time, but there's still quite a few oddities such as the Gerudo Desert being west of Lake Hylia instead of north[west] and the Temple of Time being in Faron Woods. Four Swords Adventures is also SIMILAR to A Link to the Past's world map, which in of itself doesn't make any logical sense considering its place in the timeline (unless the approximate times after Ocarina of Time that LttP and FSA is about the same, despite TP being in the FSA timeline).

Oh, and I hate how they say its the "same world." Every game takes place in the "same world" as each other, they're just significantly far apart in time. Saying this new LttP is a direct sequel/prequel makes more sense. And yeah on that note, I think this game is more likely to be an almost direct prequel than a sequel. Hopefully they skip out on Agahnim and Ganondorf, because if they included them it would completely ruin the storyline of A Link to the Past. Unless it shows Agahnim as an ally in a prequel to set him up as the big bad for LttP (that would be epic).

What WOULD be cool storyline-wise is, instead of using Ganondorf, make this a Four Swords game. It obviously isn't directly a Four Swords game, but include the plotline to center around Vaati. Or perhaps a new villain. But it won't work if its a direct sequel/prequel and Agahnim and/or Ganondorf is the big bad.

Maybe I'm just nitpicking, which is ironic as I'm usually the last person to nitpick. I just have concerns about how this is going to work if its a new storyline but the world is exactly the same and we have a lot of the same bosses. Yeah, the Zelda series doesn't have the best and most coherest storyline.

But at least in most cases the stories are set in different time periods (and timelines) so it doesn't mess with the plots of other games. And I am a kicker for good/decent storylines, so this DOES matter to me. In other cases, the direct sequels take place in other locations (Labrynna, Holodrum) and other worlds (Termina), so it doesn't matter, but this one simply looks TOO close to the original.

The proportions in Link's model look like they were made to emulate his sprites rather than his official art.

alttp-link1.pngimage_54537.jpg

It's a shame they didn't do the same for his colors. Then he'd look like this:

opslls.jpg

Or it's a prequel?

That didn't cross my mind. It's possible, but unlikely considering the timeline.

...Which I would honestly rather they ignore. 

Edited by Solly

It's not a Link to the Past if Link doesn't have pink hair!

Nintendo has lost their touch!

• Thumbs Up 4

The proportions in Link's model look like they were made to emulate his sprites rather than his official art.

alttp-link1.pngimage_54537.jpg

tumblr_l6hwpezPcT1qzj5ggo1_500.jpg

Edited by MarcelloF

masterswordsleeps.png Yeah, I'm thinking prequel too.

Majora's Mask was a sequel to OoT that didn't involve the Master Sword.

I'm thoroughly looking forward to it, it's been so long since Minish Cap I was aching for a new proper 2D Zelda. I didn't like LttP that much.. but I adored every 2D Zelda between Link's Awakening and Minish Cap. I just watched the 3D Trailer and I have to say some of those 3D effects are great! Which means it's 100% likely to be on the top screen, which means you don't have to worry about stylus controls.

The going-into-the-wall-as-paper thing is the best gimmick I've seen in the series for a long time, very Zelda-y too, I expect to find tons of awesome secrets with it :3

Also about timeline stuff..

I was under the impression it's LttP Link, meaning it could be set soon after LttP and before Seasons, but if it's a different Link it could be somewhere between Link's Awakening and Zelda 1, or it could even be a different Link from before LttP, maybe during the sealing war or something? Interesting to think about. Right now I'm thinking that something between LttP and Seasons is more likely though, making LttP Link the only one in the continuity to go through 5 adventures.

Hey, maybe if they set it between LttP and Seasons, they can fill in the slight plothole that is "Link doesn't know who Zelda is in Seasons despite saving her in LttP". Maybe he loses his memory or somethin tongue.png

(PS. LttP Link must have dyed his hair not-purple after lttp because he's dark blonde in oracle/link's awakening ;p )

Edited by SuperLink

None of the handheld Zeldas featured the Master Sword. Though you could get it in the Oracle games, which took place after LTTP, as a secret unlockable.

I like how the broken stump with a hole in it grew into a normal tree again. 

Kept forgetting to reply to this, but the leaves always returned over the tree as far as I remember.

None of the handheld Zeldas featured the Master Sword. Though you could get it in the Oracle games, which took place after LTTP, as a secret unlockable.

I was thinkin' that too, but it could just be Farore hacking irl and shit. Goddesses man.

yes as far as I'm concerned the Oracles are living incarnations of the Goddesses themselves not just Oracles with their names

Speaking of which, if Nintendo want to make me really happy they'll give Nayru, Din and Farore cameo appearances like Capcom did in Minish Cap.

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_l6hwpezPcT1qzj5ggo1_500.jpg

That's art from the original Legend of Zelda.

A Link to the Past's official art for link looked like this.

Lttp_Link.png

So my point still technically stands. :V

But yeah, he does look a lot like the art you posted.

I'm a little worried about the rehashyness, once I heard the Japanese title was literally "Triforce of the Gods 2" (basically "Link to the Past 2") when they could have made a new subtitle instead. That and the possibility of having the same overworld have me a bit worried that it's gonna be about as "New" as New Super Luigi U is to NSMBU, or Pokémon BW2 is to BW1. Hope I'm wrong; the new gimmick at least looks great fun.

If it's a prequel, then what if THIS Link was Link's uncle in LttP?

"Link, Zelda is your..." were his famous last words!

DON'T YOU SEE?

WE WILL FINALLY HAVE AN ANSWER.

• Thumbs Up 3

If it's a prequel, then what if THIS Link was Link's uncle in LttP?

"Link, Zelda is your..." were his famous last words!

DON'T YOU SEE?

WE WILL FINALLY HAVE AN ANSWER.

"Link, Zelda is your...

baby daddy"

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 8

Well, the art actually had Link with the dirty blonde hair. The hair was purple due to Nintendo being weird with the SNES expanded color palette at first. Like how Yoshi had orange arms for no reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

And also that Link is in Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, and Link's Awakening in which he has GREEN hair!

link.png

(or dark blonde hair which he had in the art for all 4 games)

Surprisingly I don't ever notice that sort of stuff in older games. I pretty much have the image of Link from the game manuals/strategy guides cemented in my head while I play.

was thinkin' that too, but it could just be Farore hacking irl and shit. Goddesses man.

yes as far as I'm concerned the Oracles are living incarnations of the Goddesses themselves not just Oracles with their names

Speaking of which, if Nintendo want to make me really happy they'll give Nayru, Din and Farore cameo appearances like Capcom did in Minish Cap.

See also: Fat Impa. I'd love to get some kind of tongue-in-cheek explanation of what she was up to when Zelda was busy being kidnapped. Maybe she was one of the seven maidens? I mean, she's probably descended from OoT's Impa...

Wait, hang on. They put Maple in the GBA version of ALTTP, didn't they? Please can Maple also be in this game Nintendo c'mon~

• Thumbs Up 1

See also: Fat Impa. I'd love to get some kind of tongue-in-cheek explanation of what she was up to when Zelda was busy being kidnapped. Maybe she was one of the seven maidens? I mean, she's probably descended from OoT's Impa...

Wait, hang on. They put Maple in the GBA version of ALTTP, didn't they? Please can Maple also be in this game Nintendo c'mon~

I think considering Impa is (always?) a Sheikah, and Sheikah have a very small bloodline, they probably are all descended from the same Impa.

And whoa Maple wasn't in the original LttP? I honestly had no idea she was only in the GBA remake.

Please let Maple return!!

think considering Impa is (always?) a Sheikah, and Sheikah have a very small bloodline, they probably are all descended from the same Impa.

And whoa Maple wasn't in the original LttP? I honestly had no idea she was only in the GBA remake.

Please let Maple return!!

I just can't remember what the deal with the maidens was. Were they the sages' actual physical descendants, or were they just ~successors~ or something? If it's the former, one of the maidens probably actually was Fat Impa, or at least related to her.

Also: another maiden was probably a Goron in a dress.

Woah dang, I didn't think this was gonna actually happen to be honest haha.

Count me up for excited. Though I never really beat LTTP, I gotta say that it's by far one of the most timeless Zelda adventures, so really glad to see it not only brought into the modern world, but basically a new game styled around it all together. Definitely a fan of the wall-drawing move since I hope there's some puzzles that blow my mind with it.

Gotta say my favorite bit is their choice of using Classic Link. I always liked his darker hair and whatnot and really hope they continue to use this model in the future for some other things (Give me 'Link's Awakening 2 Awesome' please, >:U). So yeah, brb while I finally go work on my VC copy of the original game again~

• Thumbs Up 1