Awoo.

Most powerful Sonic character?

JBrewer

I'm not buying it; based on his backstory, it sounds like Dark Enerjak was just Knuckles maddened with power, not possessed by some entity. Which makes him better than the other Enerjaks, I think.

I'm sure it was a little bit of both. Silvers line "Ultimate power ultimately corrupts" certainly adds a lot of insight to what happened to Knuckles is the Dark Timeline.

However, the encyclopedia clearly states that the original Enerjak manifests himself through later variants. It would explain a lot (the common theme of Egyptian garb for one thing) and while it may not reach complete mental domination territory, the book lends to the idea that his "influence" is felt by any Echidna who taps into Enerjak levels of Chaos Power.

I never understood the notion on how Shadow is as strong as Knuckles, aside from his own game, he's never really displayed much levels of strength, let alone on par with that of Knuckles. 

It may have only been in one game, but when a dude flips a bus one handed, it's kind of hard to ignore.

Although, when the game is ShtH (aka "let's spend an entire game sucking Shadow's dick"), it gets a lot easier to ignore.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm sure it was a little bit of both. Silvers line "Ultimate power ultimately corrupts" certainly adds a lot of insight to what happened to Knuckles is the Dark Timeline.

However, the encyclopedia clearly states that the original Enerjak manifests himself through later variants. It would explain a lot (the common theme of Egyptian garb for one thing) and while it may not reach complete mental domination territory, the book lends to the idea that his "influence" is felt by any Echidna who taps into Enerjak levels of Chaos Power.

In some ways that makes the Enerjak personality one of the strongest villains, not just in raw power, but the fact he's achieved a form of immortality that cannot be changed.

Based on Ian Flynn's (now deleted) blog, Dark Knuckles chose the Enerjak title early on, because it commanded respect. It's possible the spirit of Enerjak was tainting him to a small extent, but overall he was a bastard on his own accord. Contrast to Dimitri and Knuckles Prime, both of whom had noble goals and the transformation warped their minds. It took Dimitri a while to get over the power once he lost it, but eventually he regained his more sane, kind personality. Kind of like an addiction I suppose.

Jani-Ca was said to be hearing a "dark whisper" in her mind in the epilogue. So who knows what will happen to her...

We can certainly establish that Enerjak is one of the most powerful beings, regardless, in his three known incarnations, enough that a fourth being would choose to take his name.

It may have only been in one game, but when a dude flips a bus one handed, it's kind of hard to ignore.

Although, when the game is ShtH (aka "let's spend an entire game sucking Shadow's dick"), it gets a lot easier to ignore.

Really I think the problem is we've never had them duke it out. We can't know for certain until we see it for sure, but it's logical Shadow's incredibly strong.

Of course, for all we know, Knuckles can somehow use the Master Emerald to his advantage, even from a distance.

All a bunch of deeper stuff Sega's shown no interest in exploring, sadly.

I presume Shadow and Knuckles are close to being physical equals, though since Shadow seems dependent on chaos energy, it's not unreasonable a lot of his power could be taken away with those neat guardian powers.

I honestly feel the most powerful characters in the Sonic Franchise is Sonic himself the protagonist of the series, Shadow, and Metal Sonic. Shadow is incredibly powerful without his inhibitor rings on and Metal Sonic is incredibly dangerous. It wouldn't be hard for Metal to destroy and take over everything.

Yeah, Metal Sonic seemed to have problems with taking over everything when Heroes came around. Sure he usurped Eggman, but he still got beat in the end.

Chaos is the most powerful, easily. He CAN be defeated, but he CANNOT be killed. He is immortal. NO other character is immortal in the Sonic universe. Chaos will outlive them all.

• Thumbs Up 2

Chaos is the most powerful, easily. He CAN be defeated, but he CANNOT be killed. He is immortal. NO other character is immortal in the Sonic universe. Chaos will outlive them all.

Chip & Dark Gaia?

• Thumbs Up 3

Just put Chaos 0 in a nice, sturdy, watertight jar. Problem solved, immortal god of destruction rendered impotent.

• Thumbs Up 5

Shadow is technically immortal. It's said many-a-times.

Kinda late to this but eh.

I know this is a touchy subject, but I think Sonic developing some Chaos based powers is perfectly doable without being out of place for the character.

Many say that Sonic just prefers using his natural speed, so why not augment that speed by giving Sonic chaos abilities that extend off of his known abilities or give him completely new ones that still work?

For example, Sonic Wind can be bought back as a Chaos Ability Sonic developed himself. Hell, we could even explain the Sonic Boost by saying it's Sonic using Chaos Energy to empower him and reach a higher point of his speed in shorter time. This would explain why he couldn't boost before either, if we want to give it some story significance. He wasn't quite accustomed to it yet, so he couldn't use the chaos energy in any other way. But after '06  and being progressively faster since then, he probably discovered a way for him to become even faster using boost energy.

Shadow's Chaos Ability focus on combat and destroying enemies, Sonic's focus on getting through quickly and as cool and blue as possible. Still fits, still differs from Shadow.

Just a thought.

I always theorized that the character's exceptional abilities was because of Chaos Energy, just manifested in different forms; I mean the Chaos Emeralds turn thoughts into power, what if that extends to chaos energy in general.

Not if I put a bullet in his head.

Er, immortal. Not invincible.

Someone immortal would still probably live from a bullet depending on how it's expressed.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I know this is a touchy subject, but I think Sonic developing some Chaos based powers is perfectly doable without being out of place for the character.

Many say that Sonic just prefers using his natural speed, so why not augment that speed by giving Sonic chaos abilities that extend off of his known abilities or give him completely new ones that still work?

But then that's not using his natural speed.

I just don't see why Sonic should go from being a superfast buzzsaw to using generic anime energy shit. He's never needed to shoot lasers like a DBZ reject, he's never needed a magical or pseudoscientific explanation for his superhuman abilities...what does it add? It only makes him less focused and more generic.

Because the series is already more or less a shonen anime.

I really bad one.

Maybe it's me just being really sleepy and not thinking straight, but considering the general mood of the recent Sonic games, what exactly qualifies it as a "shonen anime"? 

In my humble opinion, Mr. Robotnik is the most powerful character in the Sonic Universe.  Without the good doctor, who else could go an extended period of time consistently nettling Sonic and being his foil?  Mammoth Mogul?  Don't make laugh.  Sarah Palin has better odds of winning the Presidency than Mammoth Mogul has to be a viable supervillain.  Finally, Mr. Robotnik gets my vote (not an electoral college vote) because he single-handedly executed the greatest machination ever in a video game - he purloined Sonic's speed in my favorite game:  Sonic Labyrinth.

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember the elves from the Lord of the Rings? They were immortal, but they were certainly capable of being killed in battle.

You remember the Homunculi from Full Metal Alchemist? They were capable of being killed, but they were immortal and kept coming back until you exhausted their Philosopher's Stone.

Deadpool? You could chop off his head and sew it right back on and he'll still live.

The Incredible Hulk? Guy could get flayed to his skeleton and regenerate.

Alex Mercer? Survived a freaking nuke and regenerated.

Vamp from Metal Gear Solid? Killed multiple freaking times and came back to life because of his nanomachines. Bastard got shot through the skull twice before his nanites were surpressed, and all that did was put him to sleep for a while before they could actually and finally kill him.

Or a more extreme example: Remember Majin Buu? This guy can still live if a single molecule of him is still around.

The limits of immortality aren't set in stone. I'd suggest you remember that. We don't know how far it goes for Shadow, but just because one series shows immortal people doesn't mean it's going to be the same in every other series.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Kinda late to this but eh.

For example, Sonic Wind can be bought back as a Chaos Ability Sonic developed himself. Hell, we could even explain the Sonic Boost by saying it's Sonic using Chaos Energy to empower him and reach a higher point of his speed in shorter time. This would explain why he couldn't boost before either, if we want to give it some story significance. He wasn't quite accustomed to it yet, so he couldn't use the chaos energy in any other way. But after '06  and being progressively faster since then, he probably discovered a way for him to become even faster using boost energy.

Shadow's Chaos Ability focus on combat and destroying enemies, Sonic's focus on getting through quickly and as cool and blue as possible. Still fits, still differs from Shadow.

Just a thought.

They tried something similar in Sonic '06. Soinc got some shoes with unlockable abilities, such as very limited teleportation. Those abilities were just as broken as the game itself.

If Sega wanted to give Sonic Chaos Powers beyond Chaos Control they probably would have done it by now. I just don't see it happening at this point.

Edited by UltDevilDoom

I always theorized that the character's exceptional abilities was because of Chaos Energy, just manifested in different forms; I mean the Chaos Emeralds turn thoughts into power, what if that extends to chaos energy in general.

The Chaos Emeralds of Archie do not turn thoughts into power, they draw power from the Chaos Force - if you mean that the Chaos Force is thoughts turned into power, that would be an interesting speculation but there is no proof (or even evidence that I know of, admittedly, my knowledge of Archie has a huge gap from when I got sick of the crappy stories and elementary school art - which ended with Ian and Yardley)

The Chaos Emeralds (and fake Emeralds) of the games and Sonic X are the only source of Chaos Energy so it is obvious that all Chaos Energy in those canons are thoughts turned into power

Not if I put a bullet in his head.
Many people with great motivating reason to put a bullet in Shadow's head or use some other lethal means have had ample opportunity where he was at their mercy - such as when GUN imprisoned him 50 years ago, and when future Omega was reprogrammed by the p*ssed off masses in Sonic06 and he was imprisoned again; yet he is still alive after them, and I doubt that is because of a lack of effort on their part (heck even the GUN Commander said shoot them all in reference to Shadow) Edited by Darth InVaders

The Chaos Emeralds of Archie do not turn thoughts into power, they draw power from the Chaos Force - if you mean that the Chaos Force is thoughts turned into power, that would be an interesting speculation but there is no proof (or even evidence that I know of, admittedly, my knowledge of Archie has a huge gap from when I got sick of the crappy stories and elementary school art - which ended with Ian and Yardley)

The Chaos Emeralds (and fake Emeralds) of the games and Sonic X are the only source of Chaos Energy so it is obvious that all Chaos Energy in those canons are thoughts turned into power

Hence why I said it was a "theory" =/

Or a more extreme example: Remember Majin Buu? This guy can still live if a single molecule of him is still around.

I'm not a huge Dragon Ball Z fan, but isn't that meant to be Cell you're thinking of, not Buu?