Awoo.

Star Wars

I think Duchess Satine was keeping a little secret.

Otherwise, I have no idea where that could have come from, save for a typo.

Yeah, the only logical explanation would be that Kenobi and the Dutchess of Mandalore had a secret affair behind the backs of the Jedi Council just like Anakin and Padme did.

But even then it still wouldn't make too much sense because, I just recently watched on DVD the episode where she dies in Kenobi's hands and there was no hint of her having any children to inherit her throne or of her ever being pregnant.

I am extremely disappointed by this new bit of information about the upcoming movie because it shows that not only is the Extended Universe being neglected but even the foundations of the original films are being torn down?!? 0_o

I really hope that that was a typo in the article.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

So the Star Wars canon is now split in two. Why am I not surprised?

In a press release today, found on the official website, it states that Star Wars was a success, spurring many writers to continue the magic. Lucas didn't confine himself to the Expanded Universe though, and whatever he produced on film goes. The six films, as well as all The Clone Wars content, is the official canon.

Now then, here's where it gets interesting.

Following on from that, it was announced that Episodes VI-XI wouldn't use the stories of the EU post-Jedi, but it is not being discarded. The entire EU is not being discarded in fact. It is being placed under the Legends banner, so everything previous to this announcement, in terms of books, games and comics, is officially not official canon. That doesn't stop the creators using elements of the EU though. The staement said that Rebels will include the Imperial Security Bureau and Seinar Fleet Systems, as well as the previously revealed Inquisitor.

Now, what about going forward?

Well, a second press release detailing a new book based on Rebels lights the way. All future novels will be part of the official canon with all projects benefitting from real-time collaboration and allignment so that it can stay that way. Even games and other media will be a part of this, so long as Disney and LucasFilm have a say in it.

That Story Group we've been hearing about is basically writing out 'the future narrative' for Star Wars as a whole. They'll be the ones in charge of the entire narrative direction, or so I'm guessing. And I expect the collaboration will see them changing ideas if need be.

Both links

http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html

http://starwars.com/news/disney-publishing-worldwide-and-random-house-announce-relaunch-of-star-wars-adult-fiction-line.html

I'm betting that the current Dark Horse comic series will stay canon, or at least I hope so. And I'm interested in that new Rebels book, as well as the other three that have been announced. But the Rebels book goes into the backstory of Kanan, and how he met Hera, starting several years before Rebels begins.

So. Thoughts?

Chewie Lives!
er... I mean...
... As was already expected, the past Expanded Universe has confirmed to be dead...ish.

The Legendary Star Wars Expanded Universe Turns a New Page

For over 35 years, the Expanded Universe has enriched the Star Wars experience for fans seeking to continue the adventure beyond what is seen on the screen. When he created Star Wars, George Lucas built a universe that sparked the imagination, and inspired others to create. He opened up that universe to be a creative space for other people to tell their own tales. This became the Expanded Universe, or EU, of comics, novels, videogames, and more.

While Lucasfilm always strived to keep the stories created for the EU consistent with our film and television content as well as internally consistent, Lucas always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU. He set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.

Now, with an exciting future filled with new cinematic installments of Star Wars, all aspects of Star Wars storytelling moving forward will be connected. Under Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy's direction, the company for the first time ever has formed a story group to oversee and coordinate all Star Wars creative development.

"We have an unprecedented slate of new Star Wars entertainment on the horizon," said Kennedy. "We're set to bring Star Wars back to the big screen, and continue the adventure through games, books, comics, and new formats that are just emerging. This future of interconnected storytelling will allow fans to explore this galaxy in deeper ways than ever before."

In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe. While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe. For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels. The Inquisitor, the Imperial Security Bureau, and Sienar Fleet Systems are story elements in the new animated series, and all these ideas find their origins in roleplaying game material published in the 1980s.

Demand for past tales of the Expanded Universe will keep them in print, presented under the new Legends banner.

On the screen, the first new canon to appear will be Star Wars Rebels. In print, the first new books to come from this creative collaboration include novels from Del Rey Books. First to be announced, John Jackson Miller is writing a novel that precedes the events of Star Wars Rebels and offers insight into a key character's backstory, with input directly from executive producers Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg, and Greg Weisman.

And this is just the beginning of a creatively aligned program of Star Wars storytelling created by the collaboration of incredibly talented people united by their love of that galaxy far, far away....

http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html

The first books have already been announced:

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away….
STAR WARS: A NEW DAWN by John Jackson Miller

Our very first official canon novel set solidly in the legendary "Dark Times" between Episodes III and IV, A NEW DAWN will introduce readers to two main characters from the upcoming Star Wars: Rebels animated series—Kanan Jarrus and Hera Syndulla—and will feature jacket art by Doug Wheatley, as well as a foreword by Dave Filoni, one of the executive producers of The Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels. It goes on sale September 2, 2014.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152378851068713&set=a.414408798712.177165.67519418712&type=1&stream_ref=10

STAR WARS: TARKIN by James Luceno

In our second upcoming novel created in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group, bestselling Star Wars veteran James Luceno gives Tarkin the Darth Plagueis treatment, bringing a legendary character from A New Hope to full, fascinating life. Coming November 4, 2014. Jacket art by David Smit.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152378914593713&set=a.414408798712.177165.67519418712&type=1&stream_ref=10

STAR WARS: HEIR TO THE JEDI by Kevin Hearne

A thrilling new adventure set between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, and—for the first time ever—written entirely from Luke Skywalker's first-person point of view. Created in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group. Coming January 2015. Jacket art by Larry Rostant.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152379167413713&set=a.414408798712.177165.67519418712&type=1&stream_ref=10

STAR WARS: LORDS OF THE SITH by Paul S. Kemp

When the Emperor and his notorious apprentice, Darth Vader, find themselves stranded in the middle of insurgent action on an inhospitable planet, they must rely solely on each other, the Force, and their awesome martial skills to prevail. Created in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group. Coming March 2015. Jacket art by Aaron McBride.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152379171333713&set=a.414408798712.177165.67519418712&type=1&theater#

Covers can be found in their individual links.

Apparently, the book "Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir", which is currently being written, will belong to the new canon, too.

All sound fairly interesting, but I'm most looking forward to is Tarkin. Ha. If I had heard myself saying that a few years ago, I'd be shocked. But James Luceno has always been a great author and Darth Plagueis was just fantastic, so another book in that style excites me. Kind of sad that Darth Plagueis (the book) didn't make it into the new canon, though.

While it's nice to get a Luke book that takes place between ANH and ESB, I'm not a huge fan of the first-person perspective. It can be good, but I generally prefer third-person.

Here's the press release for the new books:

Disney Publishing Worldwide and Random House Announce Relaunch of Star Wars Adult Fiction Line

Following today's announcement of Lucasfilm's new unified storytelling approach, Disney Publishing Worldwide is proud to announce their first step into that larger world, beginning with Del Rey Books. The publishing program will feature new adult fiction novels set in the beloved galaxy far, far away, and will be closely connected to the cinematic entertainment currently in development at Lucasfilm.

Star Wars novels consistently rank on the New York Times Bestseller lists -- from the very first tie-in novel, an adaptation of Star Wars: A New Hope released by Del Rey in 1976, to the recently published Star Wars: Kenobi -- and dozens of titles in between. With over 75 million copies sold worldwide, these books have captured the imaginations and creativity of authors who have enriched the Star Wars experience for fans around the globe.

Going forward, Lucasfilm has begun mapping out the narrative future of Star Wars storytelling that will appear on film and television and in other media so that all projects will benefit from real-time collaboration and alignment. The future Star Wars novels from Disney Publishing Worldwide and Del Rey Books will now be part of the official Star Wars canon as reflected on upcoming TV and movie screens.

"With the establishment of the Lucasfilm Story Group and our even greater focus on unified storytelling, we expect our entire publishing program to be stronger and more meaningful than ever before," said Jeanne Mosure, senior vice president and group publisher, Disney Publishing Worldwide. "We're extremely excited to kick off this new strategy with Del Rey Books."

The first novel to benefit from this deeper collaboration is Star Wars: A New Dawn, by bestselling author John Jackson Miller. Set prior to the events of the forthcoming animated series Star Wars Rebels, this novel tells the story of how two of the lead characters of the series, Kanan Jarrus and Hera Syndulla, came to cross paths. To tell this important backstory, Miller benefited from contact with series executive producers Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg and Greg Weisman, who together ensured this tale will be part of the Star Wars canon of storytelling going forward. It is scheduled for hardcover and eBook release on September 2, 2014.

"We're extremely proud of the hundreds of amazing Star Wars books we've published at Del Rey," said Scott Shannon, SVP, publisher, Del Rey and Digital Content, "And now we're excited to finally be able to call our upcoming novels true canon -- a single, cohesive Star Wars storyline -- all while keeping the amazing backlist of Star Wars Legends content in print."

Following Star Wars: A New Dawn, the all-new Star Wars fiction line will continue with the following 2014/2015 titles:

STAR WARS: TARKIN
James Luceno
11/4/14

STAR WARS: HEIR TO THE JEDI
Kevin Hearne
January 2015

STAR WARS: LORDS OF THE SITH
Paul Kemp
March 2015

In years past, the storylines that would appear in print and on screen were developed separately, resulting in an "Expanded Universe" that differed in ways large and small from the filmmaker's "canon." These rich stories provide a treasure trove of characters to fall in love with -- and deep worlds to explore and will live on in both physical and digital editions, newly-branded as Star Wars Legends.

For more information and for looks at the covers of all four new titles announced above, please visit the Del Rey Star Wars Books Facebook page at Facebook.com/StarWarsBooks.

http://starwars.com/news/disney-publishing-worldwide-and-random-house-announce-relaunch-of-star-wars-adult-fiction-line.html

Edit: Woops. That's what I get for leaving my tab open for so long xP

The Dark Horse comics are non-canon now, too. Everything but the movies, Clone Wars and pretty much everything coming is.

And since I'm such a nice guy, I added spoiler tags for space saving.

All Dark Horse comics?

So, the new series isn't in the official canon either?

That had so much promise as official material as well. I suppose the first comic which will be published under the official continuity will be from Marvel.

EDIT: Oh! I forgot Son of Dathomir was coming. The Star Wars comic based on the material from The Clone Wars arc in the unreleased seasons. That will be the first comic under the official continuity then.

It is. Like I said everything (Excluding the obvious like Lego Star Wars) will be canon.

The confirmation that they're being sensitive enough to not discard the EU entirely is indeed quite a comforting bit of news for me to hear.

It would sure be nice to see Kyle Katarn at some point, since he's the only other character asides from Anakin Skywalker and Han Solo to who I can relate, especially now that I'm entering into my thirties and now that I've earned a post-secondary diploma and am hoping to make my father proud someday... 

*sigh*

And if they feature Jan Ors then I hope they choose a gorgeous woman for the role. She should have light brown hair and a ponytail! (Just like my latest crush :P ).

• Thumbs Up 1

Hm, aside from Andy Serkis and the rest of the original trilogy actors, I'm not too familiar with the rest of the cast they've announced.

Not that this is a bad thing, of course. I'm looking forward to seeing what they bring to the table in this new saga.

^His dad also played Moody.

Unknown actors is what I wanted. Episode IV did the same. The cast looks good to me.

Daisy Ridley (Nintendo exclusive game confirmed?! tongue.png) will probably be Leia & Han's daughter, a Jedi and the main character/The Luke of EVII. She's the most unknown of the cast.  Domhnall might be Luke's son, but without a mom, who knows? Boyega might be a Han Solo type character. Sydow will probably be an old politician or admiral. Isaac and Driver, I think will be bad guys. Don't know about Serkis.

So, yeah, in short, Ridley, Gleeson and Boyega will probably be the new trio. Isaac and Driver bad guys. Sydow can go either way. And Serkis could be anything.

There's something about that cast photo that is really evocative of those black and white photos of the original Star Wars trilogy as it was in production. Purposeful, or coincidental?

There's something about that cast photo that is really evocative of those black and white photos of the original Star Wars trilogy as it was in production. Purposeful, or coincidental?

Perhaps it was intentional/purposeful. They probably want people to be just as excited as they were back in 1977 for the debut/premiere of the film. Besides, it's fun to "pay homage" to something.

It's definitely on purpose. Abrams is even doing that "Director Explains Something" pose.

Maybe he's just explaining how he will apply what he learned from Star Trek 1 and 2 to Star Wars... not sure if hopeful.

• 1 month later...

Thread hasn't been posted in for a month and a half.
No new Star Wars news, but I do have some thoughts on the new canon split. Spoilered for size, of course.
Basically I saw something that got me thinking about why they would do something like this.

First off, by cutting all the Expanded Universe from the canon, it stops anything contradicting with itself. Now, I know I've said this numerous times [maybe not here, but still] cutting the EU might not have been the best view in the eyes of invested fans, but none of the EU really represents the official canon. It never did. It never would. Anything taken from the EU and put in the official canon would then be a part of it, but not until.

Secondly, to those asking for the Republic Commando series to be made canon - can you really see them making something unfinished and hung over a part of the canon? Especially since Karen Traviss left the entire Star Wars writing scene behind because of Mandalore appearing different in The Clone Wars? Maybe parts of that series, names or settings perhaps, but the entire series won't until Traviss herself finishes it.
Which leads me onto the third thing. A touchy thing, as it does involve the Mandalorians. From what I can gather of the story and characterization in The Clone Wars, the Mandalorians are still the same as in the EU. Except for the fact Sundari exists. A city. Not the planet as a whole. Now then, the Death Watch are trying to force Sundari back in line with the normal Mando culture. Think of the entire city of Sundari as a splinter group, if you will. Now, all of the other areas within the planet are yet to be explored, as is the rest of the culture, but I think that if it was - it would still mostly stay within what the EU has said it is.
And lastly, this new way of doing things doesn't stop them taking novels already written, adapting them in line with the official canon, adding more to them, and reselling them under a different name. Fans might not like that as much, but for a universe like Star Wars, there needs to be one cohesive whole. One true timeline. And the previous way of doing things made things too complex for that timeline.

What are you thinking about that?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 9 months later...

It occurred to me that we have a lot of grand topics dedicated to other things like, Pixar, Transformers, etc. But we don't appear to have one dedicated to one of the biggest sci-fi/fantasy franchises of all time. 

tumblr_nlpywtTvHo1teg32yo1_500.png

Back in 1977, who would have thought that a low budget flick by a little known maverick director/screenwriter by the name of George Lucas, with an upbeat, optimistic tone that bucked the trend of contemporary science fiction would go on to become one of the biggest, most successful sci-fi/fantasy franchises of all time? Spawning two sequels over the following six years, three prequels between 1999 and 2005, and at long last, another three sequels on the way beginning this December, to say nothing of countless comics, novels, videogames, action figures, Lego, cartoons, and even a couple of TV movies (and one holiday special that George Lucas would rather we all forgot), all spanning almost four decades, Star Wars is easily one of the most prolific multimedia franchises ever.

Star Wars is well loved (of course, not without controversy) and it just keeps on going. Arguably, this is because the world it takes place in -- a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away -- is one that offers limitless storytelling possibilities. The people and places in Star Wars are limited only by the imaginations of the writers, and there have been many, many writers for Star Wars, who have written stories set thousands of years in the past and centuries in the future, and at all points in between, and whose ideas have spread and been shared amongst each other over the decades since Marvel produced the first Star Wars comics (the first issue actually preceded the release of the original movie in 1977 by a month). While a lot of ideas have faded into obscurity, many of them were adopted in the films that form the core of the franchise, and expanded upon in cartoon series like The Clone Wars. With George Lucas having sold the franchise to Disney, Star Wars has been given a new lease on life, with a new film trilogy set after the originals in the works, and a new cartoon series set between the prequels and the original trilogy (and also picking up, it would appear, on loose ends from The Clone Wars), which just concluded its first season.

Of course, for most of us, I expect Star Wars needs no introduction, but this is a topic for fans of the franchise to get together and talk about what we like, what we dislike, our hopes for the future, and what Star Wars means to us.

Now, I hate to say it, but I'd appreciate it if we kept the Lucas bashing out of this topic. I understand a lot of people dislike the prequels, and I respect that, but I'd prefer this topic didn't become yet another haven of folks who just want to express how much contempt they have for one director. There are plenty of other places online where you can find that. No, I'd prefer this topic remained positive and a place where all Star Wars fans on SSMB, whether they like the prequels or not, can come to express their feelings about Star Wars without being lambasted for them.

So, without further ado, what is Star Wars to me...?

Star Wars is what I would call one of my Big Three. That is to say, it's one of the three things that I have always been a fan of and which has always been a part of my life from before I can reliably recall. (The other two are Sonic and Transformers.) I don't know exactly when I first got into Star Wars, but I do know that I saw the original trilogy in the wrong order, beginning with Return of the Jedi and working my way backwards. In fact, I didn't see A New Hope until much later, because we only had The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi taped off the TV. It wasn't until one time visiting my uncle that I was able to watch the original film, which he had on video (widescreen video, no less, which was a rare thing back in the early 90's), which finally explained a lot of things I'd never quite understood (like the Force, why Ben was a ghost, why Darth Vader was so interested in Luke, etc.).

Around 1995, of course, the trilogy was re-released on digitally remastered home video, and around about that time, a whole new wave of toys came out. This was when I really got into Star Wars. I'd had some old toys previously that I'd been given when I was very young, but I'd lost interest in them and they'd been sold on a flea market (including a Rebel transport and an AT-AT that I was never able to replace); now I got some of the same toys again (and they were literally just reissues of the same classic toys with slightly better paint jobs in some cases -- some of the promotional photos were of the original models, because they showed the old action figures). I got a lot of fun out of those toys. I had -- rather, that is to say, I still have -- an X-Wing, a TIE fighter, Luke's landspeeder, an AT-ST, a snowspeeder, a couple of speeder bikes, an A-Wing, and the Millennium Falcon, plus a ton of action figures (all the main characters from the original trilogy and a lot of supporting characters).

Over the following years, my interest in Star Wars would wax and wane, but never vanish. I would always enjoy coming back to watch the films. I finally got to see A New Hope on the big screen in 1997, when the special edition versions were being released (with deleted scenes included and new effects) and in 1999, I was excited to see the first film of the prequel trilogy, The Phantom Menace. I was so excited to see a new Star Wars film and I enjoyed it so much that it was the first film I saw at the cinema more than once. And of course, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith followed in 2002 and 2005 respectively. I enjoyed them both and, when Revenge of the Sith (which I saw four times on the big screen) was finally released on DVD later in 2005, I was able to watch the entire six film saga from start to finish, something I still do at least once a year (though usually not in one sitting!). 

tumblr_nlq21gsCOI1teg32yo1_540.png

After Revenge of the Sith, it was a bittersweet moment for me to realise that this was probably the end of Star Wars now. The entire story of Anakin Skywalker (who, let's face it, is the real main character in the core series) was now told. Sure, there would always be novels and comics expanding on the Star Wars universe, but no more films. But then, 2008 rolled around with a trailer for a new film, Star Wars: The Clone Wars. I found it puzzling at the time; it was a movie set between Episodes II and III and it was animated rather than live action. Of course, it all made sense when I learned it was actually a cinematic pilot for a new TV series, which I watched and was pleasantly surprised to discover was really good. It was a cartoon aimed at a young audience, yes, but it didn't talk down to its audience or sugarcoat the reality of war for them; people died, often in gruesome and pointless ways, and the series -- after the fashion of all good science fiction -- encouraged the viewers to think about things and to ask hard questions. Was it moral to fight a war with an army of clones -- essentially a slave army bred to fight and die for you? What was the cost of total war and the impact on society? And who bore the true brunt of that cost? Were the other side truly evil or were they just people with different ideals, but whose hearts were ultimately in the right place? And how do you know that your side is even the right one? And of course, the show was full of awesome action sequences -- including space battles that make me squee -- and wonderfully written and performed characters. One of the things I really appreciated about it (which the films had rather failed to reflect) was that even though the clones were clones, they were still individuals, each shaped by his experiences; the series made you care about all the clones who died, rather than just thinking of them as being as disposable as the droids they fought. It was truly an amazing cartoon -- one of the best I've ever seen (if not the best). 

tumblr_nlq22rOFa01teg32yo1_540.png

But when it was announced that Disney was going to buy Lucasfilm and Star Wars with it, it was followed by the unwelcome news that The Clone Wars was going to be cancelled after its fifth season. Evidently Disney took the negative response to heart, as they did allow the final thirteen completed episodes to be released on Netflix as season 6 (although there are a few incomplete episodes that will now never be released, sadly), and that went some length to wrap things up for the series and create a bridge into Revenge of the Sith. But following the cancellation of The Clone Wars, there came news of a new project; Star Wars: Rebels, a cartoon following the same style as The Clone Wars (more or less) set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.

Unlike The Clone Wars with its galaxy spanning scope and massive cast of characters from Jedi knights to clones to senators and bounty hunters, Rebels (at least, so far) has a much narrower focus, with a core cast of heroes and villains in the principle setting of the Outer Rim farming planet, Lothal. While I enjoyed the first season, I don't feel it was quite up to the standard set by The Clone Wars, but it may get better. Revelations at the end of the first season, certainly, have left me optimistic about season 2. 

So, with a new TV series on the air and a new film trilogy in the works, Star Wars is very much alive and kicking. The handover to Disney has been controversial, however, particularly the decision to make everything outside the six films and their coming sequels and The Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons non-canon. This upset a lot of long time fans of Star Wars, who've enjoyed many of the novels, comics, and videogames that have contributed to the rich setting that is the Star Wars universe. Personally, however, I'm not terribly bothered by this decision. I've read some of the comics and enjoyed them, yes, but expecting films that will be viewed by millions to remain lock-step with comics and novels read only by thousands is, in my opinion, rather silly. Moreover, the status offered to that which falls outside the main canon now is that of legends. Disney has not chosen to disavow those stories, they will always be available to read and enjoy, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if content from them -- places and people -- were to make appearances in the coming films and future TV series, as they did in the prequel trilogy and in The Clone Wars

I'm hopeful for the future of Star Wars, but the one thing I would very much like to see some day in the future is a cartoon series like The Clone Wars or Rebels, only set between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. Let's face it, there's over thirty years between the two films; I would love to see the aftermath of Emperor Palpatine's death, and it would be a ripe opportunity to draw on old expanded universe content like the much celebrated Thrawn trilogy of novels by Timothy Zahn. At the very least, I do sincerely hope to see Grand Admiral Thrawn appearing in some capacity. 

In any case, that's all I have to say for now. So, if you're a fan of Star Wars, this is the topic for you. Come by and share your thoughts about the series. And, in the meantime, may the Force be with you. 

tumblr_nlq255BM891teg32yo1_400.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

It occurred to me that we have a lot of grand topics dedicated to other things like, Pixar, Transformers, etc. But we don't appear to have one dedicated to one of the biggest sci-fi/fantasy franchises of all time.

I hate to utterly invalidate that long OP of yours but...

I hate to utterly invalidate that long OP of yours but...

Huh. I did a search for one, but it didn't show up. That's... embarrassing. 

Search is broken/turned off until the forum is back to running normally is the last I read about it, not sure if they turned it back on.