Awoo.

Star Wars

OH MY GOD GUYS I NEVER GET THIS REACTION TO ANY MEDIA BUT MY EYES ARE LEGIT TEARING UP. That trailer was beautiful, I need to see this day 1. :')

I'm really hoping that this movie is just as good as the ones from the original trilogy, honestly. I really, really hope it is, and I'm very much ready to see what it has in store.

The visuals look stunning, but the thing that immediately pops into my mind is that "The prequels had stunning visuals too." Hopefully they don't just slap as much shit on the screen as possible and try to run with that under the impression it improves the experience. I'd like to think they learned from their mistakes, though, and if I recall correctly, I heard Lucas doesn't have anything to do with this film. That's a real fuckin' plus, as that alone is kind of pushing those worrysome feelings out of me.

In short, that was a great trailer that leaves me really excited for the movie, but I just hope they don't sacrifice story for visuals.

• Thumbs Up 2

I literally was blown into hyperspace upon seeing that trailer.

So many teases.

The desert planet is new. Jakoo? Jokoon? Something like that. And from the live stream from the Celebration panel, we saw BB-8 and R2-D2 on stage.

All of that panel was just amazing, but the trailer was really something else. And the end of that trailer was just magic.

OMG I'M FANGIRLING RIGHT NOW

Aahhhhhhh that was AMAZING! There's no way they're going to screw this up, seriously! And dat ending, DAT ENDING <3 Yo I'm totally gonna see this day one, no doubt!

To be honest I... Almost teared up. Like, this brought me back to Ye Olden Days when I was a little kid and absolutely adored Star Wars. I still love it now, of course, just not as much as when I was going through the SW phase.

This is so hype, I can't wait!

I was hoping the LEGO panel would be live blogged.

Nope.

Seems The Clone Wars takes priority. Not that I'm complaining, but it was talking about fifteen years of LEGO Star Wars. Surely that's something to write about, right?

... I'm honestly only getting more and more worried :/ first trailer banked heavily in going "LOOK AT THESE FAMILIAR THINGS, ONLY NOW THEY LOOK BETTER CGI", now this one banks heavily on retreading the famous "my family has the Force" speech + old Han Solo... if the Prequels had the problem of trying to be too different at times (and not different enough at others), I'm starting to worry this won't try to be much beyond a nostalgia grab at all on the other hand.

• Thumbs Up 1

Heh. Looks like we didn't have to wait for Age of Ultron after all. Still, having seen it on YouTube I am now very much looking forward to seeing it on the big screen too. I am really happy to have more Star Wars to look forward to.

Okay, I'll admit, that was really cool.

Also, fun fact: that little droid on a ball isn't CGI. It's an actual little 'robot' that can be operated remotely, I think. They actually wheeled it out on stage at some big Star Wars event to show it working.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, there are actually a few animatronics used in the film apparently. I remember them saying that they didn't want to rely on CGI to make the film look great, and honestly I can applaud that. It's great that CGI exists and it has changed the industry, but too many films fall back on it for wow factor during action scenes. The fact that they are going somewhat old school for Force Awakens makes me happy really, it just shows how much care and passion is going into the project, which isn't surprising considering Abrams is a big Star Wars fan.

Yeah, there are actually a few animatronics used in the film apparently. I remember them saying that they didn't want to rely on CGI to make the film look great, and honestly I can applaud that. It's great that CGI exists and it has changed the industry, but too many films fall back on it for wow factor during action scenes. The fact that they are going somewhat old school for Force Awakens makes me happy really, it just shows how much care and passion is going into the project, which isn't surprising considering Abrams is a big Star Wars fan.

I find a mix of CGI and practical effects is generally an effective way of creating believable effects shots. This is how they did The Lord of the Rings and the effects in those films still hold up over a decade later. Both have their place.

The Ball Droid isn't CGI? o_o Wow, the trailers certainly fooled me then!

I like how this and Jurassic World are trying to mix both CGI and regular special effects. Sometimes a special effects heavy movie like any of the Bayformers flicks can get really tiresom, so it's nice to see them try something new.

I've never had too much emotional investment, but damn that trailer was good and seeing Han and Chewie again was righteous.

• Thumbs Up 1

Found this thread on the Jedi Council Forums, showcasing a lot of practical effects and sets used in the prequel trilogy. Really, really damn impressive stuff that shows that it just wasn't all greenscreening done for the films.

• Thumbs Up 1

That was a great insight into the practical effects used in the prequel trilogy, showcasing the sheer amount of effort that actually went into them.

I still like them, no matter what anyone else says, or how objective the criticisms may be. I was 10 when the first came out, 13 when the second arrived, and 16 when the third came out. I basically grew up with them, so they will always have a place in my heart.

• Thumbs Up 3