Awoo.

Sonic Jump for iOS will be out on the 18th.

Shaddix Leto Croft

To those who have played the game.

Does the game have a credits bit ? if so does it say who is the composer of this game ? just I like to have my tags in my audio all done properly in my Winamp playlist XD

Edited by Shaddix

Well, its notable that this is only the initial game. There might not be credits in it...

I finally did get it, though. Its awesome and addictive. I'm working on completing as many missions as I can (they're called missions, but they're basically "objectives") so I can try and get Tails and Knux.

I'm already up to World 2 Act 5. I've got all Red Rings on World 1. Do not have all A's on World 1, though, let alone all S's; I've only got an S rank on World 1 Act 1.

Will try and see what I can do later. Notably, many people will likely get confused, but killing badniks is the opposite of in other games; you have to bounce up into them instead of jump on top of them. Jumping on top of them hurts you. Granted, it makes more sense due to the scale of the game; since you are going up. If you could kill them from both top and bottom, their would be no point to having them in the first place...

Also of note, for those who don't know, Sonic Jump was original released on Sonic Cafe years ago, but I don't think it ever got to the US. This one appeared to be an updated version of the original Sonic Jump.

Also of note, for those who don't know, Sonic Jump was original released on Sonic Cafe years ago, but I don't think it ever got to the US. This one appeared to be an updated version of the original Sonic Jump.

This one just uses the music and name of the original. Otherwise they have nothing in common.

Well, its notable that this is only the initial game. There might not be credits in it...

A game without the composer not being credits ? I've never really seen that O.o but it should have some so if anyone who has it would they kindly share who composed the music because I'm a tag freak like that XD

Edited by Shaddix

Looks like the game is selling well so far according to the App store charts. It's in second place.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer

I'm curious as to when this game will inevitably get a Xbox live Arcade/Playstation Network port.tongue.png

I wouldn't bet on it. SEGA's not just shifting their development towards digital titles, but the mobile platforms in general. SEGA Hardlight refelect this in that they're devoted to just developing such.

This one just uses the music and name of the original. Otherwise they have nothing in common.

Well, all the stage tropes/ names are the same too, but that's kind of a given, seeing as the music is reused as well.

I must say, I have somewhat mixed feelings on this spiritual remake.

On the one hand, it’s certainly pretty good fun and looks absolutely gorgeous, has many more stages than the original, and the updated soundtrack is nice. On the other hand, once you get past the Green Hill Zone, the difficulty spikes around so inconsistently, violently and unfairly that it’s really quite annoying.

Of course, they haven’t done this just to make the game challenging; they've deliberately engineered much of the game to be cruelly unfair to try and bully the player into spending money on items to make it easier. Yes, fair enough, you can use rings collected in-game to buy these, but you rarely collect a substantial number of rings from regular gameplay alone. It’s a cheap, dirty, money-grubbing tactic, showing that sadly the game has fallen victim to the nasty micro-transactional nature of many app games these days. Admittedly not every single stage is like this, but more than enough to make it reek of an attempt at money-grabbing.

The original Sonic Jump was still challenging, but had a much fairer difficulty curve. It was a complete game in its own right. There was no option to buy items to make it easier, and as such, the game just felt more fun to play. This version is still fun, but sadly feels like it’s sacrificing a balanced, fair difficulty level for a chance to grab some more money out of people.

Also, I definitely remember the original having much greater boss variety, as well as Chaos Emeralds to collect. And checkpoints (the removal of which is another obvious sign of needlessly unfair difficulty designed to tempt the player into spending on items).

It’s a fun game, but it’s a sad sign of the times in regards to the cheap, nasty and greedy nature of a lot of app gaming in general. :/

Edited by -Mark-
  • Thumbs Up 5

Oh, and if the remaining half of the game turns out to be paid DLC, multiply the general sentiment of my last post tenfold.

Oh, and if the remaining half of the game turns out to be paid DLC, multiply the general sentiment of my last post tenfold.

It'll be free DLC, but you'll likely have to unlock it with rings. I've managed to get Knuckles and Tails now without paying a single penny more than the base game costed. It's not worth it. Jump is probably the first in a long line of SEGA/Sonic branded games like this. Heck, All Stars Racing iOS already is. It works on the exact same formula.

• Thumbs Up 1

^ Actually its flat out stated in the app description that the rest of the game will be in the form of FREE updates. Granted, it'll be harder than what we've got so far.

I actually like it, though. It should have some sort of challenge to it. I actually already got Tails. Still working on Knuckles.

Am I the only one who thinks that tails and knux being playable in this game could be a hint of what's to come in future games? Eh, maybe I'm over analyzing things.

Edited by Johnny the Batman

Am I the only one who thinks that tails and knux being playable in this game could be a hint of what's to come in future games? Eh, maybe I'm over analyzing things.

You're over analysing things. It doesn't mean anything more than Tails and Knuckles and everyone else being playable in ASR. Of course the next game may include more characters, it's just that Sonic Jump won't be reflective of that.

Are iPhone/Android hacks a thing? Could someone hack in the level layouts from the original Sonic Jump into this I wonder? Can't imagine the format would be too hard to crack in my opinion.

Also... any idea what the difference was between Sonic Jump and Sonic Jump 2? Was it an actual sequel or an upgrade?

I might be wrong, but I don't think Sonic Jump 2 ever got released in the West. If it did, I certainly never saw it anywhere or played it.

Not sure about hacks, I'd say it doesn't seem too likely at a guess, though.

Thanks Woun, just wish Google Translate wouldn't screw up what your trying to say sometimes. :D

Actually we were discussing it at Retro and it would be possible to spread about a 100% save without jailbreaking your iDevice. and Cinossu said the files of this game are really easy to crack open and extract. Hacking may be possible soon enough.

I looked up Sonic Jump 2 and it didn't look like there was much of a difference between 1 and 2.

Thanks Woun, just wish Google Translate wouldn't screw up what your trying to say sometimes. biggrin.png

Yes, GT for all countries. Well. :3 I don't know English, now.

Actually we were discussing it at Retro and it would be possible to spread about a 100% save without jailbreaking your iDevice. and Cinossu said the files of this game are really easy to crack open and extract. Hacking may be possible soon enough.

I looked up Sonic Jump 2 and it didn't look like there was much of a difference between 1 and 2.

Yep, I have unpackings, If you want I can give in PM.

UPD: the translation of works Shadow-Hunter he's correct them mistakes.

Edited by Woun

So, some guy does a review of Sonic Jump

8/10

Also, apparently, and I don't know if this has been mentioned before...

...but the original Sonic Jump came out in Japan in 2005.

Doodle Jump came out in 2009.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Jump

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doodle_Jump

...Sonic Jump isn't a derivitive of Doodle Jump, it's the other way around! I didn't know that! And apparently many others still don't. We should spread this fact around more.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, that's what I keep saying. The original Sonic Jump was released only in Japan several years ago.

Oh, and for those talking about Tails and Knux being playable... its not JUST Tails and Knux. Other characters are going to be released in future updates. Amy's sprites were found in the code in fact. It appears that Amy and Shadow are gonna be released next (they actually appear in the Options menu), but artworks of Cream, Rouge, Silver, and Blaze were also found in the code.

I don't know if you guys know about this, but I'm trying to set up a competition/contest with Sonic Jump.

Since I'm sure the people discussing this game may own it, I thought I would just post it here just in case people may not be aware about it. All you have to do is play Arcade and your highest score at the time of the deadline will be your entry.

Please join!