Awoo.

Crash Bandicoot: The Thread

Chili Dawg

So, if this turns out true, what kind of game would you want from a new Crash game? A game where you collect the crystals like in Crash 2, 3 and Wrath of Cortex? Or a game where you progress level to level like in Crash 1, or open space like Twinsanity, provided if this game is a platformer, of course? Maybe something else?

12 minutes ago, Jango said:

Yeah, but c'mon. There's no reason to be totaly skeptical about a new game. Just look at the new Ratchet & Clank game! We just need a competent and loving developer behind it.

I'm sure Naughty Dog could make a great Crash game if they wanted to. I just don't think it will be they, if it's really happening. And like you said, we still don't know. But being skeptical about a new platformer's quality or relevance? I'm pretty confident these can be great again.

Why isn't there reason to be skeptical? Sony and Activision have jerked our chains for years and years about this franchise, Crash started seeing a quality and style decline anyway before he just up and fucked right off, his original developer said they don't even care about making toony games anymore because apparently they can't be compelling or some dumb shit like that, and in general the platformer genre in the console sphere is fucking dismal with one franchise having been swallowed up completely by the interactive toy sphere (Spyro), another one that's been subjected to corporate fuckery and pay-to-play hell (Rayman), several others having been outright abandoned or brought back in forms so unrelated to the original incarnations that they're just all the more irrelevant (RIP Rare), and this very board being based around one that's been up and down for almost two decades.

Why should I outright expect a Crash game comparable to the originals in such an environment right now? Sure, Sony can theoretically make an awesome game, but I want to see it. Until I see it, I'm not gonna celebrate right now.

• Thumbs Up 9

Ohhhh no. Oggy ain't taking this bait. I've been disappointed far too many times.

Plus, Nepenthe covered all the key points. The only real thing going for Crash suddenly reappearing is the apparent revival of interest in platformers by Sony, but the fact Sly Cooper's still in a limbo and the Ratchet film is getting panned (even if the game is faring well) makes me ponder if they'll continue the trend. Sony took a gamble on trying to revive the old platform IPs the last few years, and so far it's been lukewarm if we're looking at Thieves in Time and the Ratchet film. 1 out of 3 things (the Ratchet game) working is NOT a sign to continue.

On the other hand, they might have pulled a Sonic Boom. They were SO convinced that they could revive the platformer genre in high quality they bought up the IP, and they're gonna go through with their original plan anyway. There's far too much money involved to not do so.

But hey, if this actually materializes, maybe I have a reason to extend my E3 trip later this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, even if there is a new Crash game, there's no reason to believe it'll even be good. When Crash still had games, the last several weren't good anyway.

ITS FUCKING HAPPENING

CRASH IS BACK

THE LAST OF US HAD AN EASTER EGG IN UNCHARTED 3 BEFORE IT'S ANNOUNCEMENT

THIS ONLY MAKES TOO MUCH SENSE

Let's not forget the Jak Easter eggs found in past ND games that lead to nothing.

Still not getting my hopes up.

29 minutes ago, Ming Ming Kanon said:

Let's not forget the Jak Easter eggs found in past ND games that lead to nothing.

Ah, so that's why this started?

The Easter Eggs are just because Crash and Jak were both by the same company as those newer games Last of Us and Uncharted. Its just Naughty Dog referencing their past games, nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah, y'all can call me thick all you want, but I'm not getting excited about anything until I see an actual official trailer or announcement for a new game/remaster/whatever. This is not an official announcement. Like JR said above me, it's an easter egg in a video game, and I personally think it's foolish to get excited over it. I'd love for you guys to be right and for Crash to finally make a return, but forgive me for not instantly hopping on the hype train.

Yeah while there's evidence, I'll remain skeptical about it, don't want to have my hopes shattered again so I'll just go with ''activision allowed them to do that''.

On 30/04/2016 at 2:59 AM, JaidynReiman said:

The Easter Eggs are just because Crash and Jak were both by the same company as those newer games Last of Us and Uncharted. Its just Naughty Dog referencing their past games, nothing more, nothing less.

On 30/04/2016 at 2:28 AM, Ming Ming Kanon said:

Fact is, Jak & Daxter are still owned by Sony, meaning Naughty Dog can use it any way they see fit. Crash Bandicoot is NOT. Sony only has the distribution rights, that's why the four original Crash games are on PS Store. Sony only has the right to those, BTW. And Crash Bash maybe.

What I'm trying to explain is: Neither Sony or Naughty could EVER use Crash in a NEW product, which Uncharted 4 is. Not even the box art, let alone the game itself, which is even playable in Uncharted 4.

That was only possible because one of these happened:

1. Sony/ND made a deal with Activision for only this time;

2. Sony bought full rights of the ND Crash games (which could lead to HD releases or remasterizations);

3. Sony bought the IP entirely;

4. Sony did this behind Activision's back (lol) and they're gonna patch it day one. They just didn't count on the leaks. Or did they? (conspiracy theories).

In a nut shell, this isn't just a simple cameo/reference like ND did previously, this is much more complicated.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, Jango said:

Fact is, Jak & Daxter are still owned by Sony, meaning Naughty Dog can use it any way they see fit. Crash Bandicoot is NOT. Sony only has the distribution rights, that's why the four original Crash games are on PS Store. Sony only has the right to those, BTW. And Crash Bash maybe.

What I'm trying to explain is: Neither Sony or Naughty could EVER use Crash in a NEW product, which Uncharted 4 is. Not even the box art, let alone the game itself, which is even playable in Uncharted 4.

2. Sony bought full rights of the ND Crash games (which could lead to HD releases or remasterizations);

4. Sony did this behind Activision's back (lol) and they're gonna patch it day one. They just didn't count on the leaks. Or did they? (conspiracy theories).

In a nut shell, this isn't just a simple cameo/reference like ND did previously, this is much more complicated.

Sony owns the publishing rights, but this does not qualify as publishing the game. PSN and on-disc are publishing the game. Sony gets a cut of the income from the PS1 games' sales for publishing's sake, but Activision owns the IP and is the one who controls what can be sold, included, or used. Sony would need to license the IP to do this from where I stand, whether just for this instance, or in general. But I just have doubts that they'd license it just so they can put a surprising easter egg inside Uncharted 4.

Activision has blocked Sony from using Crash several times before, even on Crash stuff from the PS1 games, and that's because Sony has distribution rights, NOT IP rights. Or at least, they DIDN'T have IP rights. They may now, either a license or, less likely, full ownership.

Well, there’s actually been a conversation about if it were at all possible—which it’s not, let me emphasize—but we wanted to put a Crash Bandicoot game inside. Not gonna happen, though. Don’t worry. 

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/06/22/naughty-dog-wanted-to-put-a-crash-bandicoot-ps4-game-inside-uncharted-4/

Idon't know whether to laugh or call OBJECTION. Ah,  what the heck. 

180px-Edna_Krabappel_Marcia_Wallace_trib

529281_200x130.png?v=1410689106.0

I'm in tears... happy%20crying.gif Edit: there's more!

So, a few things to note:

- People are thinking this mini-game was made from scratch, it's not an emulation. They used the original assets from the 90's tho, probably Naughty Dog still has some (?);

- Crash's model is slightly different, he smiles when he jumps and his eyes are rounder;

- The camera angle is different, so is the size of the boulder when it's still on top of the temple (like it's farther or higher).

So far nobody took a screenshot of the credits to see if there's the sentence: "Crash Bandicoot is a property of..." or "The Crash Bandicoot mini-game is a courtesy of Activision".

Nobody has also said if the passwords work, so we don't know if the whole game is in there (which I don't think so).

• Thumbs Up 2

At the very least this Nathan Drake meets Crash Bandicoot. Ah in the feels.

is now canon!

• Thumbs Up 3

Hahaha Yeah, but Nate plays it already an adult :)

Here's more:

Spoiler

My-Great-Capture-Screenshot-2016-04-30-0

My-Great-Capture-Screenshot-2016-04-30-0

uncharted-4-crash-bandicoot-easter-egg-1

uncharted4finediunladro_1462025791.jpg

uncharted-4-crash-bandicoot-easter-egg-3

Nate's a bad looser confirmed, he drops the control xD

• Thumbs Up 1

If you still think we don't have evidences enough, here's a tweet from Josh Mancell (one of the original series' music composer):

R9GLcFD.png

Which leads even more to believe that Activision doesn't have anything to do with Crash anymore... They simply don't respond to stuff related to Crash. Remember Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5? Same deal.

Speaking of music, if a new game does happen, we NEED Mutato Muzika's Mark Mothersbaugh and Josh Mancell as the game's composers.

Let's not forget the Jak Easter eggs found in past ND games that lead to nothing. Still not getting my hopes up.

I'm guessing number 1 with also Sony trolling everyone about this leading to nothing.

Companies love to do this, let's look at Sega/Webber and their recent trolling. More free exposure.

Uncharted 4 had a massive budget, it's Sony's most heavily advertized game in YEARS, and this is Drake's final adventure- they would want to end the series with a massive bang.

So it wouldn't surprise me that Sony only did strike a deal with Activision just this once. Sony are a massive company and it will be hard for Activision to just ignore them.

This is probably the best Easter egg ND did ever in most likely the GOTY.

The difference I'd say with SEGA is everyone kinda is over the idea of SA3 happening, nor do many want it to happen. And Sonic is still around.

Teasing for months about a beloved dead franchise potentially getting a comeback only for it not to happen wouldn't benefit them in the long term at all. Doing something like like and going to these lengths just for laughs and trolls isn't really viable nowadays. Not unless it's April 1st. Plus, with Sony these last few years, and all the surprises, seems out of character of them to do.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to admit, that easter egg brought a smile on my face. Not just seeing Crash again but having the adorable commentary over it. It's like introducing a friend to one of your favorite games.

• Thumbs Up 1

If there ever is a PlayStation All Stars 2, and Crash is in it, he's gotta have Nathan as his rival just cause of this scene alone lol. Just imagine the dialogue Nathan would have haha. "Weren't you just a video game?"

If you could tell me that's Crash 1 running, I wouldn't believe you. As lifelong Crash fanatic, this is VERY different from the original. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Question: i know it's early, bit has anyone checked the credits? 'Cause if Crash is still owned by Activision, there must be a small copyright notice in them.

4 hours ago, CrashRatchetFan said:

If you could tell me that's Crash 1 running, I wouldn't believe you. As lifelong Crash fanatic, this is VERY different from the original. 

Just had a quick play of that stage "Boulders" in CB1. Yeah, the running animation does seem slightly different. I think Crash's arms don't swing as much in the Unch4 video? It's nothing like Crash 2 or 3 running animation. So why would they change it? Unless it's a beta design which Activision forced them to use at the time?

Also, the score tallying screen at the end of the stage; "Completion, Wumpa fruit, time and lives bonus". I have never seen that before! Is it new?

3 hours ago, BenderBR said:

Just had a quick play of that stage "Boulders" in CB1. Yeah, the running animation does seem slightly different. I think Crash's arms don't swing as much in the Unch4 video? It's nothing like Crash 2 or 3 running animation. So why would they change it? Unless it's a beta design which Activision forced them to use at the time?

Also, the score tallying screen at the end of the stage; "Completion, Wumpa fruit, time and lives bonus". I have never seen that before! Is it new?

No, everything is completely remade from the ground up. Crash's animation is stiffer and it's lacking the squash and stretch as he's running in the original game. The original game never had a score tally of how much fruit you collected, just how many boxes you missed. This screams like a last minute decision (maybe that's why the game was delayed) but it's still interesting they went out of their way to do this. 

Rereleasing and recreating a game (even if it's just one level) are two very different things, and Sony wouldn't be able to do the latter without some kind of deal or ownership. This is a HUGE DEAL as they would absolutely need ownership or approval from Activision to do this. 

And since I can't see them spending tons of cash just for a small tribute, this points to them having something up their sleeve.

To clarify, I believe this is using at least some of the original assets (the scenery), but the way the game works and Crash's model and animations seem to have been rebuilt from scratch. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This is beautiful. I love every second of it. I really wish this wasn't leaked, because I would propably cry if I found this playing myself.

A few observations: Like some pointed, this is made from scratch indeed. The running animation looks a little stiffer and the jump less float. The spin attack looks a bit different too, with more apparent white and blue. The wooden obstacles don't fall down when Crash runs into them. The graphics look smoother and the colors more vivid in general. There are totaly new icons with instructions (back in our day, tho! Ha ha!).

These are observations, not complaints, lol! Every thing else looks fine like the original, every sound effect is there, so is the classic tune.

Nate's and Elena's comments are priceless, I love how Nate says Crash should learn to climb like he did. Their discussion about bandicoots and foxes are spot on, because this is exactly how everybody I know reacts to Crash, they always think he's a fox (or a dog).

And you can't use any password because Nate's push Start ("- I knew that"), not you! :D

Darn it, Sony and Naughty Dog, tell us what happened!