Awoo.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Patticus

I think Koizumi has some directing history...

He directed Majora's Mask. I've decided, he could make Mario's story amazing.

Directing =/= writing

Yes I realise that, but he's created and directed the only Mario and Zelda games with what I would say are the peak plots for their respective series.

He's also the one who kept begging Miyamoto to put more plot into Galaxy and wanted to sneak more in to Galaxy 2.

Edited by SuperLink

If the likes of you were in charge, would we get "epic plotz" like Sonic has been shoehorned into?

Epic story doesn't always equal = bad story and simple story doesn't always equal good story.

Epic story doesn't always equal = bad story and simple story doesn't always equal good story.

Obviously, but some games simply don't lend themselves well to epic stories, just as some games don't lend themselves well to simplistic ones. Not every game can or should be well suited to epicness, and Mario (in the 3D format of 64 / Sunshine / Galaxy) is one of them, and even Miyamoto thinks so. If you want examples of the opposite scenario, Zelda doesn't lend itself well to simplicity, nor does Final Fantasy, or the fast evolving Call of Duty series.

Zelda doesn't lend itself well to simplicity

Miyamoto wouldn't agree with you there. The story of recent Zelda games have hardly been complex. They're much more predictable than they used to be :( I think Miyamoto is partly to blame for wanting Zelda to be "Link saves Zelda from Ganon" every single time.

It's pretty much just the story of the Mario series but with darker undertones and lots more cutscenes. Zelda hasn't been "epic" in an unfortunately long time.

The Mario RPG series lends itself to semi-epicness. If the games could match that to an extent, optional, minimal, w/e, I'd be happy.

Edited by SuperLink

Miyamoto wouldn't agree with you there. The story of recent Zelda games have hardly been complex. They're much more predictable than they used to be :( I think Miyamoto is partly to blame for wanting Zelda to be "Link saves Zelda from Ganon" every single time.

I never said the plots weren't predictable, but to my mind they have had more than an air of the epic about them despite that. Epicness isn't wholly reliant on originality, though it does help, and if they make good on their pledge to make Twilight Princess the last Zelda of its kind then that won't be an issue.

if they make good on their pledge to make Twilight Princess the last Zelda of its kind then that won't be an issue.

Bloody well hope so. I want Miyamoto to let Aonuma have his with with an epic or original story for once. :P

Ummm, Galaxy was pretty damn epic IMO. That opening scene, flying through space, the glorious soundtrack, giant boss battles, and that awesome final scene. "NOOOO! My galaxy! My empire!" followed by universe destroying explosion. Epic Mario works.

I'm pretty sure we'll still get a cool opening/ending scene. They at least have to show Peach getting taken, Mario meeting up with Luma/Rosilana again, and show how/why Mario is in space again. It can't just be like classic Mario where you turn on the game and just start running through the first level.

As I said give me a cool opening, let me play through and beat the game, then give me a cool ending and I'm good. I don't need plot twists and deep character development (not that I would mind it though). I just want at the very least them to set up the basic Peach is kidnapped story in a grand manner ala Galaxy 1.

Ummm, Galaxy was pretty damn epic IMO. That opening scene, flying through space, the glorious soundtrack, giant boss battles, and that awesome final scene. "NOOOO! My galaxy! My empire!" followed by universe destroying explosion. Epic Mario works

That's a different kind of epic, a world away from the dark, serious tones of Sega's idea of epic, or the epicness you see in Zelda. I was referring more to the plot and all that jazz. You would never ever see Mario in a meeting with Mushroom Kingdom leaders in an underground bunker as the world above suffers Bowser's wrath, because that's a shit idea and completely contrary to Mario's wholesome-yet-brilliant image.

Galaxy was more grand in scale than epic, unless they're interchangable.

But yeah, Mario Galaxy had a lot of "Wow, that's amazing" moments, I'm hoping that Galaxy 2 can give me the same feeling, rather than just rehash levels.

Edited by Solid SOAP

Bloody well hope so. I want Miyamoto to let Aonuma have his with with an epic or original story for once. :P

I don't know about you, but despite having the same old story, I found TP to have the most epic feel to it in the entire Zelda series so far. It's kind of surprising how cinematic they made it without voice acting.

I thought the lack of voice acting made it feel empty. I don't remember any of the cutscenes really... Majora's Mask stands out. I think OoT actually had the most epic scenes near the end. Maybe that's because TP's felt more like rehashes in comparison.

As for "epic", I don't agree with Ashur at all. Epic doesn't imply seriousness. Epic implies.... epic. It's hard to explain, but if you found a story that couldn't be more suited to that particular game, I'd say it would be an epic story. Mario doesn't need a serious story to be epic, and although the Paper Mario games did have some seriousness, there was plenty epic IMO.

I can't wait for this. I loved the first SMG, and I'm going to start replaying it soon. This one is going to be awesome, but it feels too soon for a new major 3D Mario game.

Galaxy was more grand in scale than epic, unless they're interchangable.

But yeah, Mario Galaxy had a lot of "Wow, that's amazing" moments, I'm hoping that Galaxy 2 can give me the same feeling, rather than just rehash levels.

Well, apparently most of the Galaxies are new. Let us hope that they're as inventive as SMG's galaxies. We can always hope they re-invent the old as well.

^ 90% of Galaxys are new. So we are getting some old ones as well like Good Egg(Shown in the trailer).

^ 90% of Galaxys are new. So we are getting some old ones as well like Good Egg(Shown in the trailer).
I don't mind as long as there are different missions or at least some modifications to the old ones. Besides, 90% isn't a bad amount. Edited by Mantyke

this game is going to be a rehash

This is my primary concern with the game. I can't really complain about anything else, although we've only seen one trailer.

this game is going to be a rehash and nintendo fanboys are going to eat it up.

TROLL ALERT! Don't feed the troll, plz, guys.

Edited by The Sniper

this game is going to be a rehash and nintendo fanboys are going to eat it up.

You could say that regarding just about any sequel, actually.

I guess Banjo-Tooie, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 & 3 (& Knuckles as well), Jet Set Radio Future, Bionic Commando (Rearmed), Kingdom Hearts 2, Crash Bandicoot 2, Jak 2 & 3, etc are just sequel rehashes that deserve nobody's time, right? I guess the fans of those games really ate that shit up and have no time, psh, fanboys.

Edited by Solid SOAP

im a troll for thinking this game will be a rehash. keep thinking that.

• Bad Quality Post 2

People are allowed to form their own opinions, I'd like to see his backed up, however.

You could say that regarding just about any sequel, actually.

I guess Banjo-Tooie, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 & 3 (& Knuckles as well), Jet Set Radio Future, Bionic Commando (Rearmed), Kingdom Hearts 2, Crash Bandicoot 2, Jak 2 & 3, etc are just sequel rehashes that deserve nobody's time, right? I guess the fans of those games really ate that shit up and have no time, psh, fanboys.

but this game looks exactly the same all they did is add yoshi.

• Bad Quality Post 2