Awoo.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Patticus

I believe the same thing applies to Toad. It's the name of a species, and that same character that appears throughout many of the party games. In Sunshine, Toad the Toad didn't make any appearance, though a bunch of others did.

Actually I'm pretty sure Toad the Toad is the Red one, and leader of Toad Brigade!

Actually I'm pretty sure Toad the Toad is the Red one, and leader of Toad Brigade!

The Toad Brigade leader in Super Mario Galaxy has some resemblance to Toad. In addition to being an important Toad in a leadership role, he is seen with red spots, the Toad Brigade leader also provides Mario with kindness and assistance whenever possible. He is also very trying, yet cowardly, much like Toad is. This leads to speculation on whether or not the Toad Brigade leader is actually Toad, which is supported by the fact that Toad had official art for the game. However, this Toad was wearing a red vest instead of the usual blue vest. The Toad Brigade was also promoted to Royal Guards after the game, which would indicate the leader is not Toad since Toad is already a guard. The apparent connection between these Toads and the Toads of Super Mario Sunshine also make it less likely that these are Toad appearances.

The green Yoshi that appears in Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Mario RPG, Mario 64 (both versions), Smash Bros and party games are the same Yoshi. It's also said that he's Mario's best friend.
But every Yoshi you find in World hatches from an Egg. How can they be the same. :0

But every Yoshi you find in World hatches from an Egg. How can they be the same. :0

The story says that Bowser trapped Yoshi within an egg.

I guess everytime you lose Yoshi(Falls into a pit, gets hit by an enemy and runs away), he gets captured and placed in an egg again.

It's not overthinking, most of it is from in-game materials D:

Exactly.

Plus it does make a difference whether this is THE Yoshi or just a random one from space, even if they look the same it's still a different character.

The green Yoshi that appears in Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Mario RPG, Mario 64 (both versions), Smash Bros and party games are the same Yoshi. It's also said that he's Mario's best friend

Can't you actually find different-colored Yoshis in SMW? At least in the secret levels, I know you can.

Anyways, I'm really excited for SMG2, as I really loved the first one, despite stupidly rushing to beat it (I got it and SPM for Christmas and was like OMG I HAVE TO BEAT THEM BOTH BEFORE BRAWL COMES OUT D:). I wish I still had it now, but I traded it in (another very dumb decision).

Since they are bringing galaxies back from the first game, I hope Buoy Base Galaxy and Sweet Sweet Galaxy return. Awesome concepts, but they could've been used for so much more...

Can't you actually find different-colored Yoshis in SMW? At least in the secret levels, I know you can.

That's why I said "the green Yoshi". Most of the games I mentioned have many Yoshi's in them anyway, but the green one (and usually the main Yoshi) is Mario's friend Yoshi.

• 5 months later...

Major bump of justice!

I knew there was already a topic for this game somewhere around here :lol:

Anyway, New preview from GameDaily

http://www.gamedaily.com/games/super-mario-galaxy-2/wii/game-previews/preview/8773/20737/

- Bowser and Bowser Jr return (airships in tow)

- Bee Suit returns

- New drill that lets Mario dig

- Yoshi can swing around with his tongue

- Yoshi can acquire new ablities by eating certain fruits; this includes speed bursts and blowing up like a balloon and floating.

- A second player can also pick up a remote and control Yoshi's tongue, as well as collect Star Bits throughout the course of the adventure.

- 90 to 95 percent new content

We knew all that at E3, apart from exactly how Yoshi varied. You know, if player 2 could actually fully control Yoshi then could could turn out as a great multiplayer adventure.

We knew all that at E3, apart from exactly how Yoshi varied. You know, if player 2 could actually fully control Yoshi then could could turn out as a great multiplayer adventure.

Been ages since I've seen the E3 trailer, can't remember much from it so I just grabbed that stuff from that preview. Not really been paying attention, my wife's more of a Mario fan than I am :lol:

What kind of preview is this? They don't cite any interviews, and didn't appear to have any up-front experience in the game. It just looks like a several-month-late trailer analysis.

But I don't know just how much we'll be seeing of Yoshi in this game. He's usually pretty scarcely seen, not showing up in that many levels.

And how would that work, exactly? Would one player just kind of control him when Mario's riding him, or would they have full control all the time? I couldn't see the latter working, because it's not as if the camera would be able to track both players that are moving on opposite ends of a small planet.

What kind of preview is this? They don't cite any interviews, and didn't appear to have any up-front experience in the game. It just looks like a several-month-late trailer analysis.

But I don't know just how much we'll be seeing of Yoshi in this game. He's usually pretty scarcely seen, not showing up in that many levels.

And how would that work, exactly? Would one player just kind of control him when Mario's riding him, or would they have full control all the time? I couldn't see the latter working, because it's not as if the camera would be able to track both players that are moving on opposite ends of a small planet.

Ignore me- it was just think out loud. The feasibility of Yoshi co-op is low in any Mario game, yet alone one such as Galaxy.

Ignore me- it was just think out loud. The feasibility of Yoshi co-op is low in any Mario game, yet alone one such as Galaxy.

Ah, never mind then.

Though yeah, I'd like to see something like that too if it could be done right.

Well, I'm happy thatthe special abilities of the Yoshi's don't have anything to do with the color.. I want to do everything with a dark blue Yoshi :-/. Unless the fruits change Yoshi's color like in Sunshine >_>..I hope that it isn'T like that. And they shouldn't "explode" in water.. But then, maybe the fruits are Devil Fruits!!! =O

Edited by Marcello Claus

Oh goodness. Mario Sunshine was a game all about water, and Yoshi perished in it? No wonder they were thought to be be extinct on Isle Delfino. That said, Sunshine (and 64) did great in the sense of having wide and open stages. Few of Galaxy levels were at all like this making for a linear and less replayable title. There's Golden Leaf, Sea Slide, Beach Bowl, Honey Hive and nothing else that's fun to go back to. =( A level as versatile and wide as Bob Bomb Battlefield or Ricco Harbor is what this game needs. And I'd say a proper snowy/icey level but the trailer seems ot have proved that covered. Oh and a better hub world. Peachs Castle was large and full of nooks and crannies, Delfino Plaza was a playground with secrets everywhere and the Comet Observatory was pathetic.

Well, I'm happy thatthe special abilities of the Yoshi's don't have anything to do with the color.. I want to do everything with a dark blue Yoshi :-/. Unless the fruits change Yoshi's color like in Sunshine >_>..I hope that it isn'T like that. And they shouldn't "explode" in water.. But then, maybe the fruits are Devil Fruits!!! =O

Well, from what I can tell the fruits really do change his color- I guess signifying whatever power they gave him. When he eats the fruit that makes him run at lickity-speeds, then he turns red. When he inflates, he turns light blue. Although this brings me to the question everyone else here faced earlier as to which Yoshi this is; is it a new one? Is it the same one in each level? Are they generic, or is it THE Yoshi?

And I too liked the emphasis on exploration that Mario 64 had. Great as Galaxy was, it could have used more non-linear levels. I'm not really expecting too much on that though. I do at least hope that we get some better hub world, because as charming as the Observatory was, there's not much to do in it.

Oh and a better hub world. Peachs Castle was large and full of nooks and crannies, Delfino Plaza was a playground with secrets everywhere and the Comet Observatory was pathetic

I highly agree with this statement. I loved Super Mario Galaxy but I was really dissapointed by the central hub. It was so small, and I could easily explore it in a few minutes. If I wasn't collecting stars in 64 I would be exploring the large hub worlds and I would have lots of fun doing so. The hub in sunshine was somewhat small, but there would be fun things to do, had hidden levels to search for just like 64 and a very nice design to look at. It wasn't so much fun in galaxy, for there were no secrets to look for, and the design was somewhat bland. I hope in the next game, the hub will be more fun and will have a nice design.

That's my thoughts anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

I'm loving what I've seen of the game so far and I can't wait for its release later this year but... I'm sensing a worrying lack of Rosalina.

She was part of what made the original Galaxy great and was a welcome new character to the series.

I'm not giving up hope though - we know that the Lumas are back, so there's some hope for Rosalina. Perhaps she's the one in danger this time, as it seems Mario is travelling the universe using his own Mario-faced planet ship type thing.

More love for Rosalina, I say!

I prefer the reading that counts both the A and the L as being starred; U R M I AL Y, or, "you are my ally".

Also, has anyone else noticed that there's a NSMBWii styled checkpoint shown

I'm really starting to think this game is going to be a lot more linear than any 3D Mario that's come before it...

The first Mario Galaxy lacked challenge and a free roaming sensation. Besides the main orchestral music, most of it wasn't very good.

I really hope they fix this. I found Sunshine more truer to 64 than Galaxy.

• Thumbs Up 1

I found Sunshine more truer to 64 than Galaxy.
I found Galaxy to be more true to SMB3 and SMW than 64 or Sunshine had been.

I don't think the direction they're moving is a bad thing.

Galaxy felt closer to 2D Mario, which is why I prefer it. I don't really want to run around in wide open areas. I think Mario is more fun when it's more linear and platforming focused.