Awoo.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Patticus

The Mario 128 project isn't and never was a game. I'm sure Shigsy said years back that what they and people refer to as "Mario 128" is a series of projects that resulted in a number of different games. The closest thing we'll ever see to Mario 128 was the 128 Marios demo at the E3 before the GameCube came out. That was one of many experiments which eventually got intergrated into Pikmin (tons of independant characters on-screen at once).

Mario Galaxy is another fruit of the Mario 128 project, and whatever the next Mario game is, that probably will be as well.

Such is my understanding anyway.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant pretty much. Mario 128 is a series of games based on ways of evolving the Mario series I guess. As long as it's ongoing, they're constantly making brand new Mario games.

Or you could accept the fact that certain people want/accept a different experience that you are having with the main Mario franchise. And there's not one big unanimous idea on what fans want from Nintendo. We are all entitled to our opinions and just because I'm not claiming Galaxy to be the be all and end all does not mean that my opinion is somehow invalid. And for the record as me or Urtheart did not complain about actually getting a 3D Mario platformer and I too am happy that it is not a spin off but for reasons previously stated I'm quite disappointed (and a brief glance around the web, shows I'm not alone on this).

I happy that your excited good for you. I'd rather prefer you not shoving it in my throat however.

Like I said, it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. I just posted it in order for some people to think about what they were saying, or why they felt so very disappointed.

-Nintendo are still making the next gen Mario title, you can count on it

-We're getting this instead of spin offs

-More of something incredible is still incredible

That's my post in a nutshell. I don't understand how you can possibly be disappointed with more rather than less.

I admit I'm fickle. I'm quite easily pleased. For years and years I wanted them to make a Super Mario 64 2 which was just Mario 64's engine with new levels. I somewhat got my wish with the new stages on Super Mario 64 DS and I was overjoyed and loved them.

Galaxy, while not QUITE as perfect as Mario 64, was damn enjoyable, so I'm fine with more of the same. Plus I'm sure they've only showed us half of the new abilites we'll be getting in Galaxy 2.

My only wish for Galaxy 2 is a bit less limited levels. When I first arrived at Battlerock, I couldn't wait for the mission where I'd get to explore the mountains on top of the Battlerock. I was expecting a sort of techno rocky desert crater type level lurking inside the walls, but alas never got one.

I do think it'd be great if we could have a mixture of 64 style open levels and Galaxy style linear levels. But nothing like Sunshine please. Sunshine was just weird because it had 64 open levels in which only one route was actually correct for each mission and elsewhere was near pointless (I say near pointless because of blue coin hunting, but that wasn't fun at all really).

EDIT: Oh, my other wish is for an orchestrated soundtrack again please. I was a bit worried by the midi-ness of the trailer theme. D=

Edited by JezMM

-Nintendo are still making the next gen Mario title, you can count on it

-We're getting this instead of spin offs

-More of something incredible is still incredible

That's my post in a nutshell. I don't understand how you can possibly be disappointed with more rather than less.

Point 1: Next Gen title?

Point 2: Which is good, but you do know there will be more spin offs right?

Point 3: And thats where we disgaree, I didn't think Galaxy was Incredible, good but not incredible. And because its a sequel, its bound to be ''less'' enjoyable experience than the first.

Understand now?

Edited by BlackHeroX

Point 1: Next Gen title?

Point 2: Which is good, but you do know there will be more spin offs right?

Point 3: And thats where we disgaree, I didn't think Galaxy was Incredible, good but not incredible. And because its a sequel, its bound to be ''less'' enjoyable experience than the first.

Understand now?

1: Yes. Didn't you know? Work on Sunshine began RIGHT after 64, and it wasn't finished for N64 and therefore ported to GC work. Exact same goes for Galaxy, originally started as a GC project. To save them doing that again, they're using the same engine and making a new title with the next console in mind straight away. Isn't that obvious?

2: Still nowhere near as much as on the GC we all loved so much.

3: That's the only point I truly understand. I also know someone who was disappointed because he liked Sunshine way more than Galaxy and would rather have a Sunshine sequel or a new game. Still, can't please everyone, so you have to admit it's excellent for those that did like the original, and not just "Nintendo being lazy".

In either case, you would have had to wait until next gen for the next Mario title. That is pretty much certain.

1: Yes. Didn't you know? Work on Sunshine began RIGHT after 64, and it wasn't finished for N64 and therefore ported to GC work. Exact same goes for Galaxy, originally started as a GC project. To save them doing that again, they're using the same engine and making a new title with the next console in mind straight away. Isn't that obvious?

I knew that. Your wording just confused me.

2: Still nowhere near as much as on the GC we all loved so much.

No, but its getting there and there still a lot of time left in the Wii life. Additionally Nintendo are releasing more of that type of stuff, its juts in the 'Wii' list franchise. That and there possibly aware that the console already has a lot of those types of games made by other devs already for it (unlike the gamecube).

and not just "Nintendo being lazy".

Well I didn't say that.

lol after all this, I'm probably going to end up getting the title anyway :lol: So I can at least get some more juice from my Wii.

I knew that. Your wording just confused me.

My bad ^^;

No, but its getting there and there still a lot of time left in the Wii life. Additionally Nintendo are releasing more of that type of stuff, its juts in the 'Wii' list franchise. That and there possibly aware that the console already has a lot of those types of games made by other devs already for it (unlike the gamecube).

That's true I guess. Then again it's good because they're not forsaking Mario's name with all these spin offs, and though I hate to admit it, the majority of the "Wii" series is pretty impressive in the end.

On the plus side I'm starting to doubt Mario Party 9 will ever happen. Cross your fingers!

Well I didn't say that.

I get that feeling from some of the negative responses on the internet anyway.

lol after all this, I'm probably going to end up getting the title anyway :lol: So I can at least get some more juice from my Wii.

+ Metroid and Zelda. Still, other than a few major games, the Wii's selection pales compared to that of the DS. And Wii isn't the one with a brand new Golden Sun on the way, so the Wii loses yet again.

Everyone seems to be complaining from where I'm standing.

They keep saying they're continuing work on the "Mario 128 Project". Isn't that good enough for you? At the rate of excellence usually found in the Mario series, we wouldn't be able to expect an all new Mario for another 5 years atleast. This way we'll almost certainly get both, and you're disappointed with that?

Seriously, this way we get more Mario platforming action, and less party crap in between great games. Mario Galaxy 2 will be undeniably excellent to play at least for the first time. When has more of an amazing thing ever not been pleasant?

Sunshine was pretty damn different IMO. Much more freeroaming and a lot less platforming. + FLUDD.

I meant that in terms of "Sunshine < Mario 64" kind of way as alot of people have it concieved.

I never said that I had anything against the unveiling of Super Mario Galaxy 2, I only for once aren't as hyped and a bit skeptical cause of a straight sequel of a game which, in my opinion, didn't even need a sequel. They could have just done a new game if they take that much time to whip together a Galaxy 2. That's just me though, seriously. I'm looking forward to the game, its just that I'm barely excited for it this time and I doubt it's going to be anywhere near as good.

Dissappointment =/= I disslike something. I'm happy I'm getting this instead of Mario Party 9, trust me, then you'd really see me go on a fanboy rant due to me holding mario near and dear ever since I was in kindergarten.

Edited by Otsego Rotom

Well if Mario Party 9 came out then atleast Nintendo would be more like the GC Nintendo. Which is when Nintendo were still good. >=[

I know what you mean now though, and I gotta admit I'm a little skeptical. However I'm far happier with this situation than the situation that gives me only 3 awesome looking games and no hopes of another 3D Mario for 5 years. Obviously it won't be as special as the first, but when the first ended... it ended, and I didn't want that to happen. Looks like my prayers for it to be longer have been answered, in a way.

This Jirachi avatar is working wonders!

+ Metroid and Zelda. Still, other than a few major games, the Wii's selection pales compared to that of the DS. And Wii isn't the one with a brand new Golden Sun on the way, so the Wii loses yet again.

Not really a Metroid or Zelda fan to be honest. Metroid never really appealed to me (wasn't my type of game) and while I did play Zelda (N64), for some strange reason I just got disinterested with the franchise and it hasn't interested me since. :(

I was thinking about it and I think Rosalina is very likely to return. Not only because this IS a direct sequel to the first Galaxy but because Luma can be seen along side Mario in the trailer. I hope the story isn't the exact same again though. I also hope Galaxy 2 feels as epic as 1 did. Oh man, I can't wait! I'm SO hyped for this!

I was thinking about it and I think Rosalina is very likely to return. Not only because this IS a direct sequel to the first Galaxy but because Luma can be seen along side Mario in the trailer. I hope the story isn't the exact same again though. I also hope Galaxy 2 feels as epic as 1 did. Oh man, I can't wait! I'm SO hyped for this!

Bowsers in the game(He has warp holes now) Megaleg V.2.0 has a Power Star. & the new galaxys, sky, & Luma is from the ending(Luma is from the 100% ending.) So yeah, Rosalinas back.

Edited by PSI Wind FTW!

Hey

Why couldn't they just call this Super Mario Universe >:

/pointlessfanresponsethatmightaswellalreadybespokenbeforeanyoneelsedoes

Hey

Why couldn't they just call this Super Mario Universe >:

/pointlessfanresponsethatmightaswellalreadybespokenbeforeanyoneelsedoes

'Cos that's the next gen one. DUH.

Maybe it'll be like multiple dimensions or something.

Looks awesome! I wondered if there'd be a space Yoshi, and it looks like there is. From what I can gather, you point in the direction where you want him to stick out his tongue, and you press B to fire it. At least that's my best guess.

Point 1: Next Gen title? By Nintendo's standards.

Point 2: Which is good, but you do know there will be more spin offs right? Better than only spin offs.

Point 3: And thats where we disgaree, I didn't think Galaxy was Incredible, good but not incredible. And because its a sequel, its bound to be ''less'' enjoyable experience than the first. That logic applies to movies but not to video games. Compare Super Metroid to the original. Sonic 3&Knuckles to Sonic 1. Halo 2 to Halo 1. Grand Theft Auto 4 to Grand Theft Auto 3. I could go on.

Well if Mario Party 9 came out then atleast Nintendo would be more like the GC Nintendo. Which is when Nintendo were still good. >=[

So you'd rather a shovelware party game to be released just for the sake of being more comparable with the last generation, than an actual sequel with hard work and dedication put into it? What ever you say.. :huh:

So you'd rather a shovelware party game to be released just for the sake of being more comparable with the last generation, than an actual sequel with hard work and dedication put into it? What ever you say.. :huh:

It was sarcasm (thought I made it obvious, sorry ^^; ).

Basically making a jab at the complainers who insist that Nintendo went crap with the Wii and insist of dreaming about the GC days, even though from the sounds of things we're actually much better off now.

Edited by #385 Jirachi

Oh, my mistake, sorry.

But yeah. The Wii isn't the greatest (Hell, it's probably the worst console this generation), but it's not nearly as bad as some people say, it has some great games on it that people just don't seem to buy or enjoy for whatever reason. I have a friend who's been a Nintendo fan ever since he was a little kid, and he absolutely despises everything about the Wii. He says that Super Mario Galaxy is horrendous and doesn't give most Wii games a chance. :/

When I first saw the trailer for this game, it felt like I was just watching an extension pack of the first game, not a full-blown sequel. I mean, a lot of the environments in the trailer seemed like rehashes of what we've seen already. The power-ups look pretty amazing, though, even more so than before, and it's kickass to see Yoshi! =D

Some stuff looked pretty interesting though, like the Shadow Mario area...hopefully, it's as good as the first one, and hopefully, it's a bit more than a mere expansion pack of the first game.

Ending spoilers!

Bowser gets beaten, you get the last power star, you fly with Peach, your almost home, Sun thing blows up, your Luma goes into the black hole caused by the explosion, Lumas help, kill themselves to save everyone, black hole dissapers, Rosalina tells you(Mario & Luigi) that Baby Stars(You hear crying) grow up into galaxys, but the routine is never the same, your back, everyone has a party, NEW GALAXYS APPEAR!, Mario(Or Luigi) says "Welcome new galaxys!", credits roll, 100% gives you a new cutscene, Rosalina thanks you(Or Mario & Luigi), she flys the ship away, your LUMA IS ALIVE!

Screams sequal to me.

While it does look like a rehash of the original SMG, I never owned the original Galaxy. I played it at my friend's house. And since it's mainly a single player game, I'm sure I haven't experienced even a fraction of what is contained on the disk. So if this game gets comparable reviews, I think I'll try it.

Ending spoilers!

Bowser gets beaten, you get the last power star, you fly with Peach, your almost home, Sun thing blows up, your Luma goes into the black hole caused by the explosion, Lumas help, kill themselves to save everyone, black hole dissapers, Rosalina tells you(Mario & Luigi) that Baby Stars(You hear crying) grow up into galaxys, but the routine is never the same, your back, everyone has a party, NEW GALAXYS APPEAR!, Mario(Or Luigi) says "Welcome new galaxys!", credits roll, 100% gives you a new cutscene, Rosalina thanks you(Or Mario & Luigi), she flys the ship away, your LUMA IS ALIVE!

Screams sequal to me.

Nothing of that warrants a sequel.

Since when did the plot really matter in deciding whether a game needs a sequel or not? D=

Never did, never said that either, I said that nothing of Galaxy's ending hinted on a sequel.

Never did, never said that either, I said that nothing of Galaxy's ending hinted on a sequel.

But then again, it's mainstream Mario. His games are hardly about story. Sunshine had the biggest plot, with Galaxy only really having a plot in the storybook. But ti doesn't matter- stories don't make Mario. I just hope that SMG 2 doesn't feel as recycled as it looks.