Awoo.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Patticus

I'm comfortable enough with my masculinity to admit I'd like Peach to be playable. :lol: I actually rather enjoyed her game, Super Princess Peach, on the DS. Though I don't see anything like that actually happening. Mario and Luigi are about the same size/shape while Peach is completely different. They would have to design a Bee Peach, Fire Peach, have Peach riding Yoshi without looking awkward, etc.

Not to mention they'd have to program her dress in, and we all know how physically straining and downright near impossible that is for Nintendo.

PS. I still need to play the good Princess' own game.

If you liked Luigi’s Purple Coins in the first game, this level is right up your alley.

I really hope there aren't that many of these types of levels (I'd rather have none to be honest), I hated these types of levels in the first Galaxy (and the whole collect 100 purple coins thing) in addition to the annoying trial galaxies. Less levels based on these in Super Mario Galaxy 2, would be very much welcome.

After you beat the game as Mario, you should get to play through as Luigi again.

After you've beaten the game with Luigi, I sure would love Wario Land Galaxy. =p

Unlocking Luigi was great surprise in the first Galaxy and I hope he's in it again. That being said he's hopefully a given now and it is kinda predictable that we'll likely be able to do a game as him again. I hope they add yet another surprise character to shake things up.

So how bout them Green Hill Galaxy rumors? Guffaw.

So how bout them Green Hill Galaxy rumors? Guffaw.

Honestly I would love for that whole Sonic playable in Galaxy 2 thing to be true. It really would be the most awesome surprise reward in a game ever IMO. I just think it's complete BS with a 0% chance of actually happening. It would be nice to get some kind of a surprise unlockable though. Luigi was a pretty big deal considering 64 gave you a sparkle jump + 100 lives, and Sunshine gave you......I think glasses and a shirt. I would be happy with Luigi again but it wouldn't have near the impact it did in the first game.

You can get the glasses before you even beat the game in Sunshine. The shirt is all you get for getting all the shine sprites. I also heard that you got a secret ending that implied the whole game had just been a play.

I also heard that you got a secret ending that implied the whole game had just been a play.

First I've heard of this, and I certainly didn't notice anything of the sort. You sure you're not getting it mixed up with Mario Bros 3?

You can also go back to the Airport when you get 'em all, which was quite a nice easter egg.

Video preview from videogamer.com -

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/super_mario_galaxy_2_preview.html

Written one here -

http://www.videogamer.com/wii/super_mario_galaxy_2/preview-2233.html

EDIT: Just finished watching it myself and darn it theres no new footage they're just using the trailer. Guess Nintendo arent letting the media record footage of the game yet.

First I've heard of this, and I certainly didn't notice anything of the sort. You sure you're not getting it mixed up with Mario Bros 3?

You can also go back to the Airport when you get 'em all, which was quite a nice easter egg.

I'm really just kind of guessing based on a picture from a guide I had back in the day.

And you could go back to the airport long before getting all the shines, it was the easiest way to get the 100 coin shine from Delfino Plaza.

I'm really itching for a Special Edition of this to be released, even if it's only a lame tin like NSMBW got. Dunno why, but I want one.

There is a congratulations picture showing all the characters standing on a stage (or maybe just in front of a curtain? It's been a while...), but I'm not sure if that's enough to imply that the game was a play...

And you could go back to the airport long before getting all the shines, it was the easiest way to get the 100 coin shine from Delfino Plaza.

Oh yeah, my mistake. I guess I just really took my time completing it.

This game will most likely be good, but unnecessary. There should just be a single mainstream full 3D Mario game per generation. Still, this is cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

This game will most likely be good, but unnecessary. There should just be a single mainstream full 3D Mario game per generation.
What? Why?

If they can make two games a console while keeping them to the same high quality and without running out of creative juice (which, as far as we can tell, is the case here), why shouldn't they?

What? Why?

If they can make two games a console while keeping them to the same high quality and without running out of creative juice (which, as far as we can tell, is the case here), why shouldn't they?

Well, actually, scratch that. Nevermind.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I don't see much reason to get excited about this. My impression so far is that this could have been DLC for the original Galaxy had the Wii been more online focused and if DLC for a Mario game didn't sound like that something that would cause the apocalypse. Even though it would be a bit strange, if the Sonic rumor turned out to be true then at least that would be a reason to pay full price. There just doesn't seem to be much new material besides Yoshi and a few more gimmicks like the drill. Hopefully the Bowser battles aren't so repetitive this time around.

Something that would make me a bit more excited would be playable Luigi from the start and Peach as an unlockable. :)

Edited by Captain THPS4

Honestly, I don't see much reason to get excited about this. My impression so far is that this could have been DLC for the original Galaxy had the Wii been more online focused and if DLC for a Mario game didn't sound like that something that would cause the apocalypse. Even though it would be a bit strange, if the Sonic rumor turned out to be true then at least that would be a reason to pay full price. There just doesn't seem to be much new material besides Yoshi and a few more gimmicks like the drill. Hopefully the Bowser battles aren't so repetitive this time around.

Something that would make me a bit more excited would be playable Luigi from the start and Peach as an unlockable. :)

That makes no sense at all. It's an entire new game, not a couple of dinky missions. It's really not something that could have been DLC. Yet the reason you give that would make the game worth paying "full price" for (playable Sonic) is actually something that could be DLC (and not very important compared to an entire new game of completely new missions might I add). Besides, how many sequels do you know that completely reinvent themselves after each game? I guess Left for Dead 2, Gears of War 2, Bioshock 2, etc should have been DLC. Also we've only seen two trailers and you're already willing to say the only new things are Yoshi and the drill. Me thinks I smell a hater.

On an unrelated note, awesome art work from before is Box art confirmed?

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-Galaxy-2-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BSA388/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1268663638&sr=8-1

Edited by speedfreak
  • Thumbs Up 1

Welcome to the vast majority of video game sequels. It's bound to have a lot in common with the original-not that this really means it could have been DLC. It's an entire game on its own.

The reason this game exists is because Nintendo realized they were only scratching the surface of the things they could do in the outer-space setting, which is more than enough to sell it to me because if there's anything the first game really lacked, it was content. It had 120 stars, sure, but some were achieved so quickly and easily that they might as well have been giving them out for free(i.e the Guppy missions).

Still, you're obviously entitled to your opinion. If this game hasn't sold you then that's fine. As someone who couldn't get enough of the first one though, it's a first day buy for me.

But I think Sonic in Galaxy would be a bad idea. Mario and Sonic have had their little sports games, but why cross-contaminate the series like that? Sonic doesn't belong in the setting- it's Super Mario Galaxy 2, not Mario and Sonic Galaxy. Besides, who would benefit from that? Nintendo? Not them, because they have so much money that they could fill a swimming pool and splash around in it Scrooge McDuck style. Hardcore Mario fans? I couldn't see them being happy either, considering it's supposed to be his game. Forgive me if I'm going overboard with this response, but I really can't think of why so many people want to see Mario and Sonic together. They were mascots of rivaling videogame companies in the 90s, and that's about the extent of it.

Edited by The Soldier

Besides, how many sequels do you know that completely reinvent themselves after each game? I guess Left for Dead 2, Gears of War 2, Bioshock 2, etc should have been DLC. Also we've only seen two trailers and you're already willing to say the only new things are Yoshi and the drill. Me thinks I smell a hater.

To be fair unlike the games you listed, this game was originally going to be an expansion pack and the fact that some levels are going to be from the original adds to this. I see your point, but this isn't going to be some completely new experience (which no doubt it'll be hailed as being). It'll be good, but from what I've seen not automatically much better than the original Galaxy good.

To be fair unlike the games you listed, this game was originally going to be an expansion pack and the fact that some levels are going to be from the original adds to this. I see your point, but this isn't going to be some completely new experience (which no doubt it'll be hailed as being). It'll be good, but from what I've seen not automatically much better than the original Galaxy good.

Wait, when was it said that it was originally going to be an expansion pack?

I remember the quote about the reused levels where Miyamoto allegedly said 95% or 99% of levels were new, but I've also seen other sources say it was mistranslated and that it was referring to content in general rather than entire stages.

Wait, when was it said that it was originally going to be an expansion pack?

I'm pretty sure I read in an interview with miyamoto (one of the first interviews on galaxy) a while back that it was originally going to be an expansion pack but they changed direction to make it a sequel. I'll have to dig up the interview.

I'm pretty sure I read in an interview with miyamoto (one of the first interviews on galaxy) a while back that it was originally going to be an expansion pack but they changed direction to make it a sequel. I'll have to dig up the interview.

Well I've never heard anything on that. It'd be especially weird considering the Wii is so limited in terms of storage, and it doesn't even offer a DLC service. It doesn't make sense to me that such a thing would be considered.

Edited by The Soldier

I would like you to dig up the interview if you don't mind. The game was announced as Super Mario Galaxy 2 and everything I've heard Miyamoto say was about how the development team had so many unexplored ideas they could use for the Galaxy formula so they decided to make a sequel. Every direct game sequel has a lot in common with it's predecessor, that's kinda the point of a direct sequel. All game companies do it and it's kinda stupid to call only one out on it.

Also it really doesn't have to be much better than the original Galaxy. Most people believe the original was fantastic. Sure this one won't have the same impact, but if it refines the formula created in the first, ups the challenge, and throws in a handful of original ideas than I'm sure it could at least be received as highly as the first one.

To correct some people here, this could of not been DLC, the content would be too large, and more so, the Nintendo Wii's Hard drive of not even a Gig of memory could not handle it. The game is a full fledged game with new ideas, overworld, and mechanics not introduced in one, trying to make it's own identity for itself.

The game was originally started in development as an expansion of sorts though, this was from an interview a while ago and excuse me for not digging it out, but they originally had a lot of ideas they never got to use in Galaxy but upon it's success started developing these ideas but then the thing is the more they worked on the ideas they had, they started getting more and more crazy ideas and galaxy concepts until they had so many new ideas and concepts instead of just a budget expansion game of sorts they had enough ideas and new content and concepts to fill in a completely new whole game, according to their estimate 15% of the game was originally planned for Mario Galaxy 1 but didn't make it in due to time or difficulty or something, while the other 85% has been developed exclusively for this title and all the ideas they came up with since Mario Galaxy was released.

This is just a sequel folks, where was the day when people would be accepting that a sequel is continued from the last game? People wouldn't whine about Super Mario Bros 3 being an expansion pack of Super Mario World back i n the day, they have the same basic concept but what they have in them is completely different.

SMG2? DLC? You guys really don't know how much space the Wii has (It's 512MB FLASH memory. Yes that's right, stick a 512MB Memory Stick in instead of their drive, and it'd be the same), and how much space this would take as DLC. You seem to also neglect to notice Nintendo use DVD's for their system.

Let's keep on building on this, with the amount of models, new textures and new features. It just seriously wouldn't fit on a wii "hard drive". It'd only be DLC if it was small. Implying small changing, considering the vast ammount of additions to the game. It could never be Wii DLC (Hell, the Wii could never handle DLC well anyway. Get your SD cards out!)

Edited by DarkOverord