Awoo.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Patticus

Actually the only missions you needed to beat the final boss to get were the purple coin missions. For everything else you could just ignore Peach and Bowser for a while and keep collecting stars.

I don't even think 64's levels were that good. Better than the open levels in Galaxy, maybe, but I think the rest of Galaxy's levels are far better than the ones in SM64.
I'm going to have to disagree massively. Mario Galaxy's levels may have been more abstract, but 64's levels were unique, imaginative, varied and extremely well structured, some of the best levels I've seen to this day. I mean, sure, it has the played out lava/desert/water/etc. level archetypes, but it actually uses them well enough that the levels actually feel like characters in themselves. Frankly, I feel it's the closest a platformer has come to a sandbox game. At least that I've played.

I don't mean to talk down on Galaxy's levels; in some ways they're better, but one of the issues that made Galaxy feel too easy is that the levels were too structured. Even the more open ones try to guide you.

With the exception of SMB3, Mario has never been particularly hard, and I think that's how it should be.

SMG was fun, that's what matters imo. If you're looking for challenge you're playin the wrong game (for the most part)

Actually the only missions you needed to beat the final boss to get were the purple coin missions. For everything else you could just ignore Peach and Bowser for a while and keep collecting stars.
Yes, but it's kind of awkwardly structured, you know? like they nag you to go fight the boss.

ah well, whatever.

With the exception of SMB3, Mario has never been particularly hard, and I think that's how it should be.

I take it you've never played SMB2 Jap/Lost Levels. That was very hard. Then again, Miyamoto never really worked on that, and it's hardness might have been part of the reason why the west got the Mario-ed Doki Doki Panic.

And that, but i was afraid if i said SMB2 people would think I was talking about the western version.

64's levels were...extremely well structured

but one of the issues that made Galaxy feel too easy is that the levels were too structured.

Eh?

Maybe this is a matter of personal taste, but I don't think "sandbox" is the right way for them to go. I don't mind the occasional open area to explore, but I think a platformer is better when they focus on paths rather than areas. Give me my challenges and let me go through them, don't throw me in some area and make me wander until I figure out the one way you want me to do it (or one of the several ways you didn't).

I like both styles.

SM64 was good at what it attempted to be- An explorative platformer. Super Mario Galaxy was also good at what it tried to be- A linear "Get to the goal" affair.

I like both, and feel that both games handled their concepts well. If Galaxy 2 continues the mostly-linear tradition, I'll be fine with it.

Galaxy was a brilliant game, and has almost forced me to beat each stage. Im something like...20 stars away from total completion, and the replay-ability of this game is incredible. I often just go back to some of the harder stages just to try and beat them again (like that ridiculous grab 100 purple coins on the giant pixelated mario..).

I will buy galaxy two for sure, even if its just more levels and no new concepts.

Eh?

Maybe that didn't come out right. What I meant was that the levels of both were well built but in Super Mario 64 the environment was less limiting. Plus, each level was unique enough to feel special in its own way; some are planar, some are tall, some are deep, etc. In Galaxy, there really isn't enough time spent in each level or freedom to allow a true, in depth appreciation of them. Edited by Mantyke

I have to agree just a little. The main culprits for me in Galaxy were the Battlerock and Dreadnought Galaxies. You never actually get to play around on these awesome structures. You get to go inside them, but the inside is entirely unrecognisable from the outside. I really wanted some platforming sections on the mountain and girders of these two Galaxies, but alas none. I didn't even get to slide down the inside of that huge tube going round the side of the Battlerock, which is something I was determined I'd get to do when I set eyes on the level for the first time.

I like the current set-up though. What I'd say for improvements is: Add another (hell maybe two) secret star to each stage. This will give even more fun in finding secret routes on linear galaxies (such as say, Space Junk Galaxy), and give Mario 64 fans even more scope for exploration on open Galaxies (like Beach Bowl). The secret stars on linear galaxies were fun to find, but once you know them, they do still sort of feel like just a different route, even if you have to explore to find them. I'd like to have a bit more of unpredictableness to my levels. When you clear Beach Bowl Galaxy for example, you get that ? above the final star to tell you that's where the secret one is, and by avoiding going in the cave, it doesn't take long to find the secret chest you must open to reach the secret planetoid. From that point on it's just linear again.

Give us something a bit more vague next time I say. Perhaps on one open stage there could be breakable statues in each corner of the map, and if you take the time to mess around and destroy all of them, a star appears. Totally surprising, more than just an alternative route. The return of eight red coins being about on ALL missions there for you to collect whenever you like would be nice too, but it seems Purple Coins have replaced them.

This is just a random splurge of ideas really mind you. All just examples.

Making a Galaxy 2 kinda tarnishes the whole thing that they've had going with the 3D Mario games.

Not really sure how to explain it but.. Super Mario 64 has a totally different feel/setting from that of Sunshine and Galaxy. Sunshine had you exploring tropical isles, etc whereas Galaxy had you soaring through the stars and going to different planets.

I just feel like it would cheapen what the developers tried to do with Galaxy and how they pushed to make it different from both Sunshine and Super Mario 64.

So it's okay when Call Of Duty moves away from stand-alone titles akin to Mario and goes for its first direct sequel in Modern Warfare 2, but when Mario does it, oh no, it's tarnishing the rep of the series? What?

..Did I ever say that? I don't think I did. I don't really care about Modern Warfare 2 either, so I don't get what your point is. :\

What I'm saying is that I enjoyed the different, standalone game thing they've had going since Mario first went to 3D and I'd rather just have that instead of a direct sequel. Is that really such a terrible thing to say? Sure, I don't agree with taking roughly five or six years to put out the next one, but I'm rather put off by a direct sequel to a game I didn't really care for as much as much as others. I like when Mario tries something a bit different.

'Mario Galaxy + Yoshi' just doesn't sound as nice as.. I dunno, a Mario under the sea adventure? Okay so that's not the best idea, but I couldn't really think of anything else at the moment. My point is something that has a different feel to it.

Edited by Chooch

So it's okay when Call Of Duty moves away from stand-alone titles akin to Mario and goes for its first direct sequel in Modern Warfare 2, but when Mario does it, oh no, it's tarnishing the rep of the series? What?

I actually got the same feel about Modern Warfare 2 as I did Super Mario Galaxy 2, but I do think there is a difference. A large part of the first Modern Warfare was the story, and Modern Warfare 2 continues that, but in totally different environments, and hopefully, new tweaks to gameplay. That...and it's something you can kinda expect from the gaming industry today...sequels. Mario had a good thing going that...okay, aside from the spin offs like Mario Kart and Mario Party, the main games always did something new rather than make a sequel with a few tweaks to cash in.

To be honest, if they made a Super Mario 64 2 or Super Mario 128 that was just the same castle but new levels, I wouldn't like it so much. They do something new every time, with the big jump to 3D, to the water pack idea, to outer space. Why not take the time to come up with something new or something different? It just kinda feels like cashing in on the success of SMG rather than doing what they used to do and take their time to make another, innovative, and fresh 3D Mario game, which is what they've ALWAYS done up until now.

Basically, the same point that Chooch is making...though they may be making it different enough than the last one. I mean, who knows, we could get Peach's Castle as a hub again (and I REALLY hope they don't just recycle the exact same hub...bleh. >_<), and since most of the world's are going to be new...you never know. I just don't think it'd feel as...magical as a straight up new Mario with new environments and ideas...maybe that's just me. :/

I do think this won't feel as fresh and new as a brand new title, but maybe you should stop thinking of it that way?

It's been so soon since Galaxy, and essentially this is them not letting all the unused/unfinished ideas from Galaxy 1 go to waste.

It's probably best to think of this as "Super Mario Galaxy Part 2" rather than the next full entry in the series.

I actually hated the level design in Galaxy. Defeat some enemies with your spin move, and a star launcher appears, go in it and shoot yourself to the next linear road. It just felt so boring for me. Doing that everytime. Navigating these small planets. It didn't give me a sense of wonder, freedom or exploration. On top of that, you have the boring mission structures.

In 64, I couldn't wait to start the next mission, and find some new paths to navigate with your awesome jumping skillz. In Galaxy, this feeling is just ruined for me. It's just get from point A to B, in an incredibly easy fashion. And those star bit sound effects only make things worse. And I really hated that top view perspective. As for the open area level design. Those remind me of the kind of levels I'd find in a mediocre, generic platform game. They offer no inspiration in exploration. Even the music was a mixed bag for me. You have great tracks like the first galaxy. Then you have annoying tracks like the bee level. Most of the music I honestly found boring. Like anybody with the basic music making software can create the tunes at home.

The only positive points Galaxy had going for it was excellent level lighting, graphics, some powerful orchestrations, the gravity concept, and a popular mascot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even the music was a mixed bag for me. You have great tracks like the first galaxy. Then you have annoying tracks like the bee level. Most of the music I honestly found boring. Like anybody with the basic music making software can create the tunes at home.

Just gonna highlight this to comment. I loved every track on the Galaxy soundtrack, but it did kind of annoy me that the best tracks in the game are exclusive to single levels. Due to the trailers, I thought Good Egg Galaxy would be like "the main theme", appearing on most of the generic levels (Bob-Omb Battlefield, Whomp's Fortress, Tall Tall Mountain and Tiny Huge Island's soundtrack is called "Super Mario 64 Theme" on the soundtrack), but it was just one.

The worst offender is Bouy Base Galaxy. A beautiful, beautiful piece of music, and only heard during two of the 120 stars in the game. And one of these stars only takes a minute or so to complete.

I guess it can't be helped, perhaps it was intentional to keep these tracks special, but damn the Honeyhive/Gold Leaf and Beach Bowl/Sea Slide themes do grate after a while during their lengthy purple coin missions.

Just gonna highlight this to comment. I loved every track on the Galaxy soundtrack, but it did kind of annoy me that the best tracks in the game are exclusive to single levels. Due to the trailers, I thought Good Egg Galaxy would be like "the main theme", appearing on most of the generic levels (Bob-Omb Battlefield, Whomp's Fortress, Tall Tall Mountain and Tiny Huge Island's soundtrack is called "Super Mario 64 Theme" on the soundtrack), but it was just one.

Bob-Omb Battlefield's theme had variations for some worlds of Mario 64, very few, but it's still the only recurring tune of the game. In Galaxy's case I would say Gusty Garden Galaxy's theme, which is suitable as it's likely the best piece of music in the game by far, except possibly:

The worst offender is Bouy Base Galaxy. A beautiful, beautiful piece of music, and only heard during two of the 120 stars in the game. And one of these stars only takes a minute or so to complete.

Yeah. Personally though that made the music all the more special for me. I think I remember hearing about Buoy Base being a full stage at one point.

I do think this won't feel as fresh and new as a brand new title, but maybe you should stop thinking of it that way?

It's been so soon since Galaxy, and essentially this is them not letting all the unused/unfinished ideas from Galaxy 1 go to waste.

It's probably best to think of this as "Super Mario Galaxy Part 2" rather than the next full entry in the series.

Yeah, I guess so...just hope they come up with some snazzy ideas. I have no doubt it'll still be a great game...I just hope they keep it up as far as gameplay, production values, orchestra music, etc.

And I concur on Buoy Base Galaxy...one of the best songs in the game left to two Stars. Dang it, Nintendo!

Buoy Base should of been a full level. Fantastic score, great design, awesome visuals, it probably would of been one of my favorites if it were bigger. :(

Bob-Omb Battlefield's theme had variations for some worlds of Mario 64, very few, but it's still the only recurring tune of the game.

Yeah that's true. I felt so proud when I first noticed that the main theme, "slider" theme and Snow Mountain theme were all essentially the same song in structure.

I thought it was interesting how almost every song in Super Mario 64 was the same yet they felt different enough to be unique.

Apparently, Buoy Base & Good Egg Galaxy was confirmed. This was on Super Mario Wiki(A good site).

Apparently, Buoy Base & Good Egg Galaxy was confirmed. This was on Super Mario Wiki(A good site).

The info isn't sourced so I'm assuming it's fake.

Edited by SuperLink

^ I don't know why Buoy Base is on there but Good Egg Galaxy is in the game via trailer. Theres one part where Yoshi eats a Spike Plant and an enemy & it looks like an area from Good Egg Galaxy.

I actually hated the level design in Galaxy. Defeat some enemies with your spin move, and a star launcher appears, go in it and shoot yourself to the next linear road. It just felt so boring for me. Doing that everytime. Navigating these small planets. It didn't give me a sense of wonder, freedom or exploration.

The only positive points Galaxy had going for it was excellent level lighting, graphics, some powerful orchestrations, the gravity concept, and a popular mascot.

That all seems so familiar.