Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

How could anyone have believed that? Nintendo even said it wouldn't come until they release an original Zelda for the 3DS.

How could anyone have believed that? Nintendo even said it wouldn't come until they release an original Zelda for the 3DS.

Clearly, no one is reading the link I posted earlier.

Well I just learned something new about OoT. I'll admit, I'm VERY late to the party on this one, I'm sure most of you have known about this for years, perhaps even since the game's original release. But until now, I had no idea the Fire Temple music had ever been altered. If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's the two different versions:

Original

Altered

I'm not sure I've ever played the "Muslim chant" version, which would be why I've never heard of this. This was only on those gold cartridges, which I *think* I've played before...but I would have been eight or nine years old, so fuck if I remember.

I really think it's just gibberish that was put in the wrong place of the game. It certainly has the Arabic feel to it, and was put in a place that probably seemed too coincidental to a Mosque.

And most of this controversy came from the fears of Nintendo of America, as stated in this episode of Pop-Fiction

VVV

Edited by VisionaryBlur

I really think it's just gibberish that was put in the wrong place of the game. It certainly has the Arabic feel to it, and was put in a place that probably seemed too coincidental to a Mosque.

And most of this controversy came from the fears of Nintendo of America, as stated in this episode of Pop-Fiction

VVV

h ttp://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/vzs1ku/pop-fiction-episode-9--fire-temple-chant s

Ironically, I originally linked to that but then decided the two videos would be better. I just find this whole thing rather interesting since I missed out on it originally.

It's not gibberish, they were recorded samples of real chants. Pretty sure there wouldn't have been controversy if they merely had an "Arabic Feel" to it.

Kind of glad in the end anyway, the original music is actually unsuitably creepy for the Fire Temple in my opinion, the remake has a much better "sound" of overwhelming heat. But then I grew up with the remade track so who knows what I'd have thought if it was the other way round.

It's not gibberish, they were recorded samples of real chants. Pretty sure there wouldn't have been controversy if they merely had an "Arabic Feel" to it.

Kind of glad in the end anyway, the original music is actually unsuitably creepy for the Fire Temple in my opinion, the remake has a much better "sound" of overwhelming heat. But then I grew up with the remade track so who knows what I'd have thought if it was the other way round.

How do you know that? I'm just assuming it's gibberish, but unless Nintendo outright states it's real Muslim chanting, then I don't believe it.

Edit: Well look at that, I just looked at the updated version of the Pop fiction interview and it proves what you say.

Also, on a personal opinion I found the original theme to be much better. It felt creepier for a more hellish level. The final theme is just so bland to me.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

My original gray cartridge had the muslim chant, which I preferred. I loved the vibe of it. Very mysterious. I remember the first time I played Master Quest, I noticed they changed it. Too bad I lost my original cartridge which also has unaltered red blood. I think the new chant uses the same sounds from the shadow temple.

Oh, also relevant to current discussion:

halolzdotcomzeldailovey.jpg

tumblrm8mm051xqm1qlw4dd.jpg

Oh so that's why you guys don't like TP Zelda...

Also I don't see anything wrong with TP's ending. Midna had to go. Link and Zelda probably returned to their normal lives unless they make a direct sequel.

Tsundere Zelda, is best Zelda. yeah I said it.

I dunno, I think it's a toss up between SS and WW for best Zelda, as they were the only ones I really gave a damn about. But I will concede that her TP incarnation is by far the weakest, she's treated more as an afterthought, which would be ok, but the game made her seem like an important figure...when she really wasn't.

• Thumbs Up 3

All this version talk led me to check which version of the game I have in curiosity, and it's apparently 1.1 so it has Ganon's blood and the Fire Temple chanting.

Well anyway that copy of Wind Waker I bought turned out to be defective (freezes every time I talk to the Deku Tree) so I had to make a return. I enjoyed what little I played of it so I am probably just gonna have to borrow a friend's copy someday if I want to try it again. Right now I'm crossing my fingers for a release on the Wii-U's VC or better yet a Zelda compilation that contains it.

Unfortunately Wind Waker made me want to play the other Zelda games even less. To me the majority of 3D Zelda games are rather ugly looking; the N64 games are particularly dated, Twilight Princess is brown, and Skyward Sword is muddy. Wind Waker on the other hand just looked perfect. I could easily see it becoming a favorite of mine if I was able to play it more.

• Thumbs Up 1

So anyone who's played it, how was Zelda in Spirit Tracks? One of the big gimmicks is that she was actually along with Link for the adventure, right? Did that do any good?

Also anyone hope Link's next partner is a little more...corporeal? Some of them have been pretty interesting characters and started building a decent relationship with Link, but they're designed to mostly vanish when gameplay is happening and I think that hurts it. Navi and Tatl were blinking lights that hid in your hat (?) half the time, KoRL, being a boat, gets left behind whenever you're not on the water, Midna's gone when you're in human form, Fi lives in your sword...I mean I get that it's definitely easier to make a character that's largely just for dialogue and cutscenes and folds away into your pocket when s/he's not needed, but couldn't they make a fleshed-out version of Medli/Makar with less of a babysitting aspect? Someone who's actually there, someone to actually work together with, someone who genuinely goes through all those trials with him, rather than "being there" in almost just a technical sense?

e: Okay ideas.

She (I'm going to use "she" because it's been a she more often than not, I think) can't die, but she can be knocked out. You still lose if Link dies. Say that he's the better fighter of the two...maybe she can only stun enemies?

One dungeon with wall/floormasters. One. Not two, certainly not three. One dungeon, maybe some side areas. You pull the partner-stealing shit too often, you're only going to piss people off.

Treat commands like items--assign them to buttons for quick access. Maybe dedicate a button to stay/follow. Or, since we're going to have touchscreens for both handheld and console by the time the next Zelda comes out, put them there.

Co-op, maybe? Kind of tough to pull on a single screen, but for handhelds and if Nintendo gets their shit together regarding online stuff...

Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 5

So anyone who's played it, how was Zelda in Spirit Tracks? One of the big gimmicks is that she was actually along with Link for the adventure, right? Did that do any good?

Outside of the Tower of Spirits, she's mostly exposition. She's ok there I guess, the game is probably infamous for adding lots of subtext to the whole LinkxZelda thing, in fact before Skyward Sword it was the game that teased the pairing the most.

Also anyone hope Link's next partner is a little more...corporeal? Some of them have been pretty interesting characters and started building a decent relationship with Link, but they're designed to mostly vanish when gameplay is happening and I think that hurts it. Navi and Tatl were blinking lights that hid in your hat (?) half the time, KoRL, being a boat, gets left behind whenever you're not on the water, Midna's gone when you're in human form, Fi lives in your sword...I mean I get that it's definitely easier to make a character that's largely just for dialogue and cutscenes and folds away into your pocket when s/he's not needed, but couldn't they make a fleshed-out version of Medli/Makar with less of a babysitting aspect? Someone who's actually there, someone to actually work together with, someone who genuinely goes through all those trials with him, rather than "being there" in almost just a technical sense?

The Prince of Persia 2008 game did this well. Your partner basically followed behind you, being able to do everything you could do when it came to moving around in the environment. She also helped you out in battle with magic attacks, but she never got in the way. She even saved you if you fell into a bottomless pit. I'd like to see someone like that in Zelda.

It would be cool to see a game where the instead of Link being the only destined hero, it could be about two heroes.

It would be cool to see a game where the instead of Link being the only destined hero, it could be about two heroes.
Two Links, a boy and a girl, each holding half of the Triforce of Courage, separated at birth, reunited as the world teeters on the edge of darkness, tasked with saving it.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Which one will be the controllable one
Both.

and which one will talk/give the tutorials?
Someone else.

One question is what to do with the Master Sword; there's only one of it, unless you contrive it to be split as well (wouldn't be too hard). Wouldn't be right to give one Link the blade of evil's bane and leave the other with a dinky old mundane sword. Alternatively, and this is a bit of a stretch for the series, one could use the bow as their primary weapon, and build up to getting the light arrows. You'd have to get rid of actually collecting arrows, and create a fighting style revolving around the bow...or, make it some kind of crazy sword-bow that can also do melee attacks, and give the other one the sword beam for a ranged attack.

More importantly, which one is gonna be feelin up Zelda, because I fully support a Yuri pairing.
Threesome

Maybe not even Links. Maybe they could go all out and have both of them dress differently than the standard "Green Tunic" thing.