Awoo.

Was Knuckles a red Sonic in the prototype of sonic 3? Probably...

Oblivionthehog

The "Dreds" character being a proto-Knuckles was confirmed two years ago by the lead, uncredited tester of Sonic 2, Ben Szymkowiak, during an interview that drx did.

Ben:
Actually, it was Jason Kuo, myself, and Vy Nong, along with a marketing person who brainstormed and came up with the idea for the dreadlock look of the Dreds character in Sonic.

drx:
So Dreds was the original name for Knuckles?

Ben:
I
think
Dreds was original name for Knuckles – but this was 15+ years ago. I do remember brainstorming on the look of Knuckles with Jason Kuo, Vy Nong, and a Marketing person.

This interview seems to hint that the "Dreds" name came about before anyone had a concrete idea of what the character would look like, so the stories match up.

• Thumbs Up 4

Check it:

BIvAH.gif

Level select+Debug gets Sonic into Knuckles's Sky Sanctuary. Take a shot when Sonic and Mecha are on the right side of the screen, paste some sprites and art over it, bam. Even with Ye Olde Photoshoppe this is easily doable.

You realize he claims the magazine is from before the game was released right?

EDIT: Actually out of curiosity, could you take a full screenshot of that mag? I'm a dumbass and didn't realize what Dio was getting at.

Edited by Carbo

REGRESSO DE SONIC Y TAILS

Day 1 buy.

Is there a problem?

EDIT: Actually out of curiosity, could you take a full screenshot of that mag? I'm a dumbass and didn't realize what Dio was getting at.

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj500/JoaoRobalo/32342.jpg

If you need anything else ask please :)

No? The cover just struck me as funny.

XD I do enjoy a good laugh...nice one :) "The return of Sonic and Tails" BTW :D

XD I do enjoy a good laugh...nice one smile.png "The return of Sonic and Tails" BTW biggrin.png

I know what it means, but thank you, anyway. Is this magazine still in publication?

32342.jpg

Nice to see one more person from Portugal here.

I too used to read that magazine, but now it as merged with another one(Bgamer I think).

On the subject, I think its believable the magazine was able to see a beta of the game(still I think it's strange since its rare something in our country having access to stuff other countries didn't specially videogames stuff).

Edited by redhellc
  • Thumbs Up 1

I remember reading this magazine when i was little!

Brings back lots of memories, I also read this article in the magazine, i almost shitted my pants when i saw that sonic had a new rival!

But then when i played the game everything was so different :S

Well, thanks for posting and sharing with us.

And i'm going to search for more information on this redhog called "Dreds"!

Can you please scan the page where the screens come from ? The article, not the cover. I'm not 100% convinced. Why would a magazine (even at that time) leave white pixels around the artwork ? That looks bad.

Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah if this hasn't been around before we should get full cover and article scans.

If your scanner can't support that then I'm sure we can set something up for another member within your area to help you out.

Yeah if this hasn't been around before we should get full cover and article scans.

If your scanner can't support that then I'm sure we can set something up for another member within your area to help you out.

Edited by Oblivionthehog
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sorry but I wasn't on, I did what you asked and here it is the entire article of the first magazine.

cover.jpg

Sorry about the quality (and the childhood sketches on Sonic's right) anyways if you guys need anything more just ask ok?

cover.jpg

Thats it! Its the article I saw some years ago, man that brings me back HAHAHA!

I only had a master system when I bought that magazine but I was about to buy a Genesis (or Mega drive), BTW nice sketches LOL!

Hey I'll find something about Dreds ok? I'll help because this here is Alhpa GOLD!

Sure feel free to do it man! I know that Dred's info out there on the net!

WOW! Nice discovery! I don't think this was ever mentioned before. Also, in regards to this picture:

3.jpg

Could you please scan the Sonic art to the right? I want to know if it's concept art, or rarely seen stock art or something. A full scan of the page would also be very appreciated, if you can. It's a good thing you didn't throw this out!

Yes I can do it, though I am curious...I have one more magazine that has more info about Sonic 3 I need to look around (I am the kind of guy who doesn't throw game related stuff away) after a quick search I'll do it with gusto wink.png

cover-1.jpg

Nice to see one more person from Portugal here.

I too used to read that magazine, but now it as merged with another one(Bgamer I think).

On the subject, I think its believable the magazine was able to see a beta of the game(still I think it's strange since its rare something in our country having access to stuff other countries didn't specially videogames stuff).

Its good to see a Portuguese fellow around here too biggrin.png it only proofs that Sonic is not dead in our small country!

Edited by Oblivionthehog
  • Thumbs Up 1

Really?

You actually made a dupe account to feign additional interest?

What?

o.o why are you saying that?

Really?

You actually made a dupe account to feign additional interest?

I really don't understand so everyone from Portugal is my account?

What account are you talking about there are two Portuguese here!

Edited by Oblivionthehog

Quit fooling yourself. Your IP is the exact same match and the account was created today with your exact credentials.

Alternate accounts are strictly against the board rules. If you want to discuss things here, don't volley it between yourself, especially not under multiple accounts.

• Thumbs Up 2

Quit fooling yourself. Your IP is the exact same match and the account was created today with your exact credentials.

Alternate accounts are strictly against the board rules. If you want to discuss things here, don't volley it between yourself, especially not under multiple accounts.

Fine ._. I am sorry...I just thought this shouldn't be forgotten...this could be knux origins its important to me...sorry

Can we just forget this and keep discussing about the magazine? I really want to know what to do with it...

Edited by Oblivionthehog