Awoo.

The Movie Thread

AdventChild

Six Signed on to Flipped

According to The Hollywood Reporter, actors Aidan Quinn, Penelope Ann Miller, John Mahoney, Anthony Edwards, Rebecca De Mornay and Kevin Weisman are in various stages of commitment to the Rob Reiner-directed feature adaptation of Wendelin Van Draanen's novel Flipped.

Flipped revolves around the confusing romantic developments of antagonistic boy and girl neighbors who eventually share a kiss when they reach their teens. The story takes place from 1957-63 as the kids grow up from ages 7 to 13.

Quinn and Miller are taking on the roles of the girl's parents and Weisman her mentally challenged uncle. Edwards and De Mornay are playing the boy's parents, and Mahoney will play his grandfather.

Reiner and writer-producer Andy Scheinman wrote the screenplay.

Flipped is moving toward a late-June shoot in Michigan.

Shannon to Board The Runaways

The Hollywood Reporter says that Michael Shannon is in negotiations to play one of the lead male roles in The Runaways, the feature take on Joan Jett's seminal 1970s rock band.

Kristen Stewart will play Jett and Dakota Fanning is on board to play bandmate Cherie Curry in the film, which will revisit the short but influential life of the first all-female band of the rock era.

Although the film centers on the four female members of the band, there are a number of key male roles representing people who were personally and professionally associated with band members.

First Look at TF2 Villain

Looks like he's about to take a dump or something.

New Clip from Half-Blood Prince

Cool.

Gabzie thinking Toy Story 2 was better?! That is surprising I thought you'd be more of a "I do not like sequels" kind of person. It was an okay sequel I just felt it was cashing in too much and just making more toys.

Gabz, I agree that Toy Story 2 was better than the original, hence why I can't wait to see how the third movie turns out!

Gabzie thinking Toy Story 2 was better?! That is surprising I thought you'd be more of a "I do not like sequels" kind of person. It was an okay sequel I just felt it was cashing in too much and just making more toys.

Ah, but I am! :0

See the thing is, Disney are the ones that make (almost) all sequels crappy, with awful story, animation and characterisation.

Now PIXAR however have never really had a very bad movie before. Hell my lowest ranking PIXAR movie is Cars and I don't even really hate that one! The sequel to Toy Story 2 obviously had alot of thought and work put into it, it was released in cinemas, it featured ALL the main cast and, IMO, the story and characters were better and funnier than the first one. And Randy Newman composed the music again. Yay Randy~

I don't know how Cars 2 will be like though. As I said earlier, that is my lesser favourite one. ^ ^;

I still think Cars 2 is unnecessary, but I really should wait and see what it's really like before passing judgment on it. I did like the first one after all.

Bryan Singer Interested in Returning to X-Men?

Bryan Singer's decision to leave the X-Men series in favor of directing Superman Returns left many fans of the Marvel series disappointed and of course with X-Men: The Last Stand, being helmed by Brett Ratner. Singer had directed both X-Men and it's follow-up, X2.

In the July issue of Total Film, Singer spoke about a possible return to the X-Men franchise:

"I'm eternally intertwined with X-Men now," he told them. "What takes an audience four hours to watch - the first two movies - took six years of my life. So, to not be part of it....It's a shame."

On not directed "The Last Stand:

"It's weird for me to watch it, because I'm so close to the universe. And also Brett is a good friend of mine. But, of course, I would love to return to that universe."

On possibly directing X-Men Origins: Magneto:

" The only thing that concerns me about Magneto is that if the prequel were to follow the track I used in X-Men, which is Magneto's history in the concentration camp, then I've lived in that world. Apt Pupil, X-Men and now Valkyrie...I've lived in that Nazi universe for quite a while. I just might need to take a little break before I do something like that."

First Photos from Gulliver's Travels

Reynolds Dishes on Deadpool

MTV recently sat down with actor Ryan Reynolds, who talked about his involvement and process for the upcoming X-Men spin-off, Deadpool.

Reynolds said, "I’m intimately involved with it. It’s going to be just like the comic books. I’m gonna have a messed up face and you may see some flashbacks of Wade earlier in his life, but primarily what you see is what you get in the comics and that’s the goal. And there is no better place to draw material from then the comics which are incredible.”

As for the villain in the film, there’s been some speculation that actress Katee Sackhoff may play Typhoid Mary for an unnamed Marvel project, which means that the casting process may be further along than Reynolds is letting on.

Reynolds continues on the subject, saying, “The greatest villain in a Deadpool comic is Deadpool. There’s a lot you can do there, but you’ve gotta ask, ‘Who’s the boss? Who’s the guy he’s going up against?’ But it’s breaking the fourth wall; it’s including all those things in a way that works, but it’s not nearly as hard as it sounds. It can really be done.”

Where's Waldo? - Universal

Waldo has been "found" at Universal Studios, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The studio has picked up the movie rights to the popular children's books series from Classic Media with the aim of making a live-action family film.

The book series was previously set up at Paramount and Nickelodeon, where John Schultz was attached to direct. The plot of that original project had Waldo, now 30, traveling through time after accidentally activating a malfunctioning travel machine.

Paramount recently put the project in turnaround, and the rights to "Waldo" have been bouncing around between several entities.

D@mn you Hollywood! D@MN YOU!

Verbinski May Not Direct BioShock

In an interview with the Los Angeles Times about his video game production company Blind Wink, Pirates of the Caribbean director Gore Verbinski elaborated further on the recent news that the BioShock movie was halted in the middle of pre-production.

Verbinski said: "The bottom line is it has to shoot out of the States for budget reasons and my schedule may be prohibitive. There's a great script and a really interesting cast. It really comes down to the financial model now. Big movies are just not being shot in the States. I'm weighing whether I can physically go the U.K. or Australia or one of those other places with a tax rebate for a year-and-a-half."

Eh, I think BioShock as a game is good enough as a movie itself with its great storyline.

Milano Joins the Cast of My Girlfriends

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Alyssa Milano has signed on to star in and produce My Girlfriend's Boyfriend, a romantic comedy in which she plays a woman with a relationship dilemma.

Beau Bridges, Michael Landes, Christopher Gorham and Carol Kane round out the cast.

Milano will play an outgoing woman who meets two seemingly ideal men in quick succession -- a struggling novelist (Gorham) and successful ad exec (Landes) -- and must decide between them.

Daryn Tufts will direct from his own script starting this summer.

Jackson Starring in Caught in the Crossfire

Variety says that Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson is starring with Chris Klein, Adam Rodriguez and Richard T. Jones in Caught in the Crossfire, a police corruption drama.

Newcomer Brian Miller wrote the script and is directing.

The drama concerns two homicide detectives who find themselves caught in the crossfire of a gang-related homicide and a group of dirty cops. Jackson plays a gang-banger who becomes a reluctant informant.

Filming is just getting underway in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I guessing he is gonna get shot.

Field to Adapt The Creed of Violence

Variety reports that Todd Field is set to adapt The Creed of Violence, the Boston Teran novel that the studio acquired last fall.

Field has committed only to write at this point, but he is selective about assignments and rarely scripts projects he doesn't direct. His most recent writing efforts were Little Children and In the Bedroom, and he is also booked to write and direct an adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian.

The Creed of Violence takes place in 1910, as two men -- a desperado and a government agent with a secret connection to him -- try to thwart an arms smuggling ring.

First Official Picture from Clash of the Titans

Meh.

Upcoming Horror Prequels and Sequels

I really liked Coverfield so I'm anticipating for 2. Another Saw...how predictable. A Tremors sequel? Unnecessary, the 1st was the really good one, same goes to Scream 4. A Thing prequel sounds really interesting.

I need to agree Pikachu, I don't see why we need a Where's Wally (Waldo is gay name XD) film anyway. I mean the cartoons were OKAY but it's more a book for fun for kids a film of him accidentally travelling through time... WTF why?

Barbarella Remake has New Director

Entertainment Weekly reports that director Robert Luketic is working with Dino De Laurentiis' company to develop an update of Barbarella at a new studio.

A previous version of the project at Universal had Robert Rodriguez attached to direct, with Rose McGowan starring.

"It will be a big intergalactic adventure with a sexy twist," a source close to the project told the magazine.

Barbarella, who originally appeared in a French graphic magazine in 1962, appeared on screen in 1968 with Jane Fonda playing the title role.

Stretch Armstrong Movie Coming April 2011

Coming Soon reports that Universal Pictures and Hasbro, Inc. announced that the first feature film to be released under Universal and Hasbro's six-year partnership, Stretch Armstrong, has been dated for theatrical release on April 15th, 2011.

Academy Award-winning producer Brian Grazer will team with Hasbro to bring the iconic action figure to life for the silver screen.

Steve Oedekerk is writing the screenplay for the film.

Stretch Armstrong is an iconic toy that kids around the world enjoyed stretching up to four feet before returning to his original shape. Through the years, the product line stretched into a wide range of toys and supporting characters that built upon the Stretch Armstrong legacy by allowing kids to "stretch their imaginations" with play experiences unique to the inventive Stretch Armstrong brand.

O_O. 1st Waldo, now this? For Pete sake....

Bardem to Play the Villain in Wall Street 2

According to Deadline Hollywood Daily, Javier Bardem will play the villain in Oliver Stone's Wall Street 2 opposite Michael Douglas and Shia LaBeouf.

20th Century Fox will start principal photography on August 10th for a release planned for February 2010.

Click here to read the entire story.

Valley Girl Remake in the Works

According to The Hollywood Reporter, "Shrek: The Musical" director Jason Moore has signed to helm MGM's remake of Valley Girl as a musical feature.

Valley Girl, whose script was written by Amy Talkington, will be Moore's feature film debut.

The 1983 cult comedy, which starred Nicolas Cage and Deborah Foreman in a romance that bridged the '80s punk scene and suburban San Fernando Valley culture, has been recast as a "Romeo and Juliet"-inspired musical built around the movie's new wave soundtrack.

Writer/Director Chosen for Houdini

The Hollywood Reporter says that Jeff Nathanson has signed to write and direct the adaptation of William Kalush and Larry Sloman's The Secret Life of Houdini: The Making of America's First Superhero for Summit Entertainment.

The book, published in 2006 by Atria Books, made waves at the time for insinuating that Houdini was a spy for Britain and was asked to be an adviser to Czar Nicholas II's court in pre-revolutionary Russia. The book also portrayed the master escape artist and magician as a debunker of con artists who pretended to be spiritualists, leading to the theory that his death was caused by the spiritual movement as payback.

Hirsch to Star in Hamlet Re-vamp

Variety reports that Overture Films is developing a modern-day adaptation of Hamlet, which will star Emile Hirsch.

Catherine Hardwicke is on board to direct, with Ron Nyswaner adapting the Shakespeare story.

Execs credited Hirsch with coming up with the idea for the modernized version. The producers noted that there hasn't been a movie version with an appropriately aged actor playing the role.

Overture said it hopes to have a finished script in the coming months, with principal photography commencing soon thereafter.

Nicholson and Brooks to Team Up Again

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Jack Nicholson may reunite with James L. Brooks for an untitled romantic comedy starring Reese Witherspoon, Paul Rudd and Owen Wilson.

Written by Brooks, the story sees Witherspoon as a professional softball player torn between two men, a solid guy played by Rudd and a charming ball player with a 94-mile an hour fastball played by Wilson.

Bill Murray had been in talks to play the role of the father but ultimately lost interest.

The project is due to start lensing later in June on the East Coast.

The Arquettes May Sign on for Scream 4

Entertainment Weekly reports that Scream 4, the new sequel from Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson, is now being considered a reboot.

However, the new Scream series may feature some familiar faces.

EW says it has "learned exclusively that Williamson has approached Courteney Cox Arquette and David Arquette to return. Deals have yet to be signed, however, as all involved try to hammer out potential scheduling conflicts that could arise now that Courteney Cox Arquette's pilot 'Cougar Town' was picked up by ABC. (Agents for the actors have yet to return EW's request for comment.) No word on whether Neve Campbell's character, among others, will make the cut."

Wimmer to Pen Total Recall Reboot

Variety says that Columbia Pictures has set Kurt Wimmer to write the Total Recall remake.

Wimmer has been working with the studio on Salt, the Phillip Noyce-directed espionage thriller starring Angelina Jolie. Wimmer wrote the story for that film and shares screen credit with Brian Helgeland.

Total Recall was resurrected for remake earlier this year by the studio and producer Neal Moritz and his Original Films banner.

Wow, another reboot/remake........*sigh.

First Pictures of Brolin as Jonah Hex

Not to shabby really.

New TF2 Poster

Meh, looks a bit generic and cheesy.

Edited by Spiritomb

I agree, that TF2 poster looks really cliche. I doubt it would catch my eye at the cinema. Then again, I'm not too keen on Transformers. =P

Teaser Trailer for [Rec] 2

Why couldn't they just burn the building down? Also, I hope this doesn't mean a Quarantine 2.

Behind the Scenes Featurette for Public Enemies

Cool.

Cast Set for Easy A

Variety reports that Screen Gems has set Lisa Kudrow, Alyson Machalka, Thomas Haden Church, Patricia Clarkson, Stanley Tucci, Penn Badgley, Cam Gigandet, Malcolm McDowell and Daniel Bird to join Emma Stone and Amanda Bynes in Easy A, the Will Gluck-directed comedy that begins production June 9th.

Stone plays a high school student who, after being ostracized by a false rumor she's loose, uses the rumor mill to her advantage, pitting puritanical students and teachers against their liberal counterparts.

Easy A was scripted by playwright Bert V. Royal.

De Ravin, Brosnan and Cooper Join Remember Me

According to Variety, Emilie de Ravin, Pierce Brosnan and Chris Cooper are set to star alongside Robert Pattinson in Remember Me

Lena Olin is negotiating to join the cast.

Pattinson plays a young man whose brother's suicide has split up his parents (Brosnan and Olin) and left him sleepwalking through life. De Ravin will play a young woman who, after watching her mother get killed before her eyes, seizes life to its fullest. Cooper is being courted to play her father.

Will Fetters penned the script, with a rewrite by Jenny Lumet, and will be directed by Allen Coulter.

Remember Me begins production in New York on June 15th.

Tony Scott Moving The Warriors to LA

First Showing reports that director Tony Scott is moving his remake of The Warriors from a New York City setting to Los Angeles.

Scott explains why:

"I love the original Warriors and I'm using the same basic story. It's really still 10 guys stuck at point B and they need to get back to point A. But I'm going to set it in Los Angeles and it's going to be a kind of study of gang culture in LA today...It's a city which is horizontal. New York is vertical, all skyscrapers, and Los Angeles is horizontal."

In regards to all those thousands of gang members, Scott is actually trying to get the real deal:

"I've been meeting the various gangs as part of the research. I never meet the gang leader, always his second-in-command. I have to do this little tap-dance and sell the film to them. I've met them all, Crips, Bloods, The 18th Street Gang, The Vietnamese and so on. They all love The Warriors. So it was, 'Yeah, fuck yeah we'll be in that!'"

D@mn, Hollywood raped another one.

Short Circuit to Be Rebooted

Variety reports that Dimension Films has tapped Dan Milano to script the remake of Short Circuit.

The original was about an armed robot named Number 5 that acquired a personality after a lightning strike, and sought the help of humans to prevent its destruction by its makers in the military.

David Foster, who produced the original and is back to produce the remake, said that Milano first watched the original while he was in high school and sparked to updating the concept.

Foster said, "We're bringing Number 5 into the 21st Century and taking advantage of the improvements in robotics that are so massive that robots are now performing heart surgeries in hospitals."

Not again.....

First Trailer for The Final Destination

Sounds terrible yet fun at the same time considering it be in 3D.

Edited by Spiritomb

Chris Pine Talks in for Unstoppable

Hot off the success of Star Trek, The Hollywood Reporter says that Chris Pine is in talks to join Denzel Washington in director Tony Scott's action-thriller, Unstoppable.

The story centers on an experienced train engineer (Washington) about to be laid off as part of company cutbacks and the newbie (Pine) conductor hired to replace him. They find themselves in a race against time to stop an unmanned, half-mile-long freight train carrying enough combustible liquids and poisonous gas to wipe out a nearby city.

Carradine's Death Forces Portland Recast

David Carradine's death has forced a recast of what was to be his next project, the indie drama "Portland," says The Hollywood Reporter.

Principal photography was set to begin, shortly in Portland, Oregon, Los Angeles and along the Pacific coast.

"Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this difficult time," executive producers Adrian Salpeter and Elizabeth Levine of Vancouver-based Random Bench Prods. said in a statement.

New Photos from TF2 Including Devastator

Oh God why are they taking Short Circuit too?! WHY GOD WHYYY?!

Another Final Destination? Hell that's not even all that old!

Oh God why are they taking Short Circuit too?! WHY GOD WHYYY?!

I agree, you can't upgrade Johnny 5! Johnny 5 can't be upgraded Johnny 5 could take on a T-800! Because he's Johnny 5 and he's alive! You don't need to give him a plasma cannon or make him super advanced, because he's great as he is!

Short Circuit is such a cheesy movie (and includes the F word in the sequel, for a PG rated!), but I understand it has quite a cult following. ^^; I think the reboot won't be so bad because it'll turn out just as cringeworthy as the two other movies anyway!

Shrek Origins: Puss in Boots

Coming Soon spoke to Antonio Banderas who says that the Puss in Boots spin-off will be an origin story.

Banderas told us that he has his third recording session next week for Shrek Forever After, which he thinks will be his last one, and then he told us that they've have already given him a look at the script for the spin-off movie. "I'm very happy with what I'm doing. In a way, it's easy work because I know the parameters of the character. I know how to move him around. At the same time, a couple days ago, I went to DreamWorks and they pitched me what is going to be Puss in Boots' own movie, and it looks unbelievable. It looks really, really cool. They've been working very, very heavy on the script for almost three years, and they didn't just want to give me any kind of thing until the other day when Jeffrey finally called me and he said it was done. I went there and I was very surprised how the movie is going to take off. I love it."

Sounds like Wolverine. Though I wish the franchise would just keel over and die already.

Dunst on Board for Spider Man 4

Kirsten Dunst is definitely on board for Spider-Man 4 says producer Todd Black. As rumors about the next film's villain begin to swirl, The New York Post asked Black about what to expect from Sam Raimi's next Spider-Man ilm.

Black confirms that Kirsten Dunst is on board, but that there are no plans to have a wedding between Peter Parker and Mary Jane. He also squashed the rumors that Morbius, the Living Vampire, will be the villain in the movie but did state that the villain will be very New York centric.

"We're just coming up with who the villain's going to be now. We'll be shooting in New York again. Trust me, people will appreciate who we pick, because it'll be a big part of New York."

Hm, possibly King Pin, Lizard, Carnage, or Electro.

I'm gonna see Terminator Salvation soon, hoping it's gonna be great...

Oh and I'm going to watch my first Star Wars movie today. XD

I'm gonna see Terminator Salvation soon, hoping it's gonna be great...

I saw it on Friday... it kicks ten bells of shit out of T3, and gives Terminator 2 a serious run for it's money. It was absolutely fantastic, I was not disapointed at all... Brilliant movie in every respect.

Terminator 5 news

Aparently Terminator 5 is to be set in London... the present day!?

The director of T4 has already said that he has an idea for the machines to send HK's and various other machines back in time to the present day to truely soften up the military units of the day in order to make the future war and easier battle for them. However, one movie website which is usually right with it's rumours is stating that the 5th Terminator movie may take place in present day London.

Source

Mickey Rourke Talks about his Iron Man 2 Role

The Guardian spoke to Mickey Rourke about his role as Whiplash in Iron Man 2. Here's an excerpt:

And Iron Man 2, in which he plays Tony Stark's tattooed Russian nemesis, Ivan, is possibly the biggest movie yet in Rourke's new career. For Rourke this means going to Russia, drinking vodka and visiting jails to study prison tattoos and find his character's tics. "I decided to do half my role in Russian," he beams, "and that's hard because the Russian language doesn't roll off the English-speaking tongue very easily. I spent three hours a day with a teacher, and after two weeks I know four sentences! Let me see, it's sort of like... 'Yezzamee menya... Yezzamee manya obott... Er, nemaboootty menya.."

This goes on for quite some time. "It means," he says, finally, "If someone kills me, don't wake me up, because I'd rather be dead than live in your world."

Check out the full interview here.

Iron Man 2 hits theaters on May 7, 2010.

Gyllenhaal and Hathaway in Love and Other Drugs

The Hollywood Reporter says that Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway will reunite for Love and Other Drugs at Fox 2000/New Regency. The two last starred together in Brokeback Mountain.

Ed Zwick is directing the film, which Charles Randolph (The Interpreter) adapted from Jamie Reidy's nonfiction book "Hard Sell: The Evolution of a Viagra Salesman."

Reidy was a drug rep for Pfizer in the late 1990s who eventually wrote a memoir that shined a light on the practices of the pharmaceutical industry. Gyllenhaal will play the salesman, who begins a relationship with a woman who has Parkinson's (Hathaway) while on one of his sales calls. Their love story plays out in the political and social context of the time.

Cam Gigandet Joins Paul Bettany in Priest

The Hollywood Reporter says that Cam Gigandet will star opposite Paul Bettany in the horror Western film, Priest.

Scott Stewart is directing the film, adapted by Cory Goodman from the TokyoPop comic book. Priest is set in a world ravaged by centuries of war between man and vampires and follows a warrior priest (Bettany) who turns against the church to track down a murderous band of vampires who have kidnapped his niece.

Gigandet plays a young wasteland sheriff who is part vampire. He partners with Bettany to save the girl he loves, the niece. That latter part has yet to be cast.

Monsters, Inc 2 in 2013?

According to Jim Hill Media, Pixar Animation Studios will have Pete Docter follow-up "Up" with a sequel to Monsters Inc.. Docter wa a writer on the origingal Monsters, Inc.

Here's what the original post said from their coverage of Licensing International Expo 2009:

So let me try & cheer you up by revealing that -- in addition to "Toy Story 3" and "Cars 2" -- Pixar Animation Studios has yet another sequel in the works.

"Which Pixar picture?," you ask. Well, though the buyers who attended these particular preview sessions were first sworn to secrecy by Disney officials, several immediately reached out to me afterwards to say how thrilled they were to learn that Pete Docter will be following up "Up" with a sequel to "Monsters, Inc."

As for the proposed storyline of this yet-to-be-officially-announced Pixar sequel ... Sorry. But I'm not able to see that far into the future. Not yet, anyway. Maybe after I attend Licensing Expo International 2010, I can then share a few more tidbits about this "Monsters, Inc." follow-up.

File this under RUMOR for right now but would you be on board for a Monsters, Inc. sequel?

If it is true, then it could be better than the 1st, but Pixar should lean less on sequels though. However, a sequel to The Incredibles would be pretty awesome since a lot of people are demanding it.

I'd love to see a sequel to Monsters Inc., as I felt that the first movie really needed a continuation after that ending. I want to see Boo again! ^w^

Pixar should not do too many sequels though. I mean, they already have a Cars 2 coming up (which wasn't really needed unlike Monsters Inc.).