Awoo.

Pikmin 3 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

It isn't a huge deal, but for visually fun and vibrant games I find that 60fps makes the experience a bit better.  That's partially why I love the visuals in the Galaxy games so much.  It just seems smoother and sleeker.

But yeah, as long as it's stable it's fine.  Art direction is the most important thing, and it seems like it's succeeding beautifully in that regard.

It might have to do with the game originally being built for Wii. The engine might not be optimized for Wii U. It looks like it could have handled 60FPS 720p just fine.

This game...is EXCELLENT! 

I'm currently on Day 5 and I'm really enjoying it. The graphics are amazing, especially the water and the Wii Remote + Nunchuck + GamePad integration is pretty awesome and allows for really strategic gameplay. It's a shame that it runs at 30fps though, but, meh. Oh yes, the keyring is lovely smile.png

One more thing. What do you call a person who only eats fruit? Olimar's race are vegetarians, so what are the Koppaites? (I think that's how you spell it, lol).

Frugivores eat fruit.  There aren't a huge number of animals that eat fruit exclusively, so most frugivores are vegetarians that prefer fruit.

I wish there weren't still another week to wait.

But if you preorder a download from gamestop. you can wait another week minus one day!

happy?

Wii u account? Sorry a bit off topic, but is that like a gamer profile on Xbox? So you can have more than one on the console? Or is there only one?

Sorry, first I've heard of this!

The Wii U has Nintendo Network IDs, which function like an account system. I can't remember how many you can have per system, but each Nintendo Network ID has its own save files on the system.

I can finally post pictures to Miiverse, cool.

tumblr_mqjfzitzMF1qesqm0o1_1280.jpg

...Alright, I'm gonna risk sounding like a doofus here, but what precisely am I looking at?

...Alright, I'm gonna risk sounding like a doofus here, but what precisely am I looking at?

In all seriousness it's just me having fun with the camera often closing up on Pikmin.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, I just beat the final boss. Holy shit was that ever intense and scary. It took several days and hundreds of Pikmin to manage it. The final boss is... (story and boss spoilers within)

... the "Plasm Wraith".

Plasmwraith.jpg

It's just as bizarre and frightening as the Water Wraith from P2, except this one is golden. You meet it at the top of a tree stump, where it's for some reason holding Olimar hostage. After you scare it off you have to carry Olimar back down through a maze. It'll soon start to  give chase though as a huge, goo-like slug and won't stop until it gets Olimar back and climbs back to the top of the stump. During this stage the Pikmin carrying Olimar will follow Brittany and the Wraith will follow said Pikmin to steal Olimar back. Alph and Charlie have to go on ahead and make a path while Brittany distracts the beast. It's a bloody long trek, but you can open up little shortcuts to help you when you come back the next day. When you finally make it outside, the Wraith will take Olimar and engage you in one of the more brutal and heart pounding battles.

The only way that this thing isn't as menacing and unnerving as the Water Wraith is that it's slower than you, making escape easy, and should it catch Olimar it becomes vulnerable to basic attacks. And apart from in the absolute final showdown (where I think you can reach the Onion easily), it hardly poses a threat to you and is more like a nuisance. 

The whole thing though with the music, this bizarre Wraith, the chase and the sheer sense of terror and panic made it one of the best final levels and battles I've seen in a game for a long, long time.

There's also a point mid-to-late game (just before you finally get the Blue Pikmin) that Louie steals all of your food supplies. So every piece you've collected up until that point is lost temporarily, making you start from 0. Now that I think was a really nice touch cause I'd grown lazy in my hunt for food by then since I'd accumulated a 30-day supply of it.

Pikmin 3 easily usurps Pikmin 2 as the best game in the series by bringing back all of the best features and getting rid of some of the detrimental ones.

• One of the best things about P1 was the sense of loss, desperation and impending doom. That was entirely lost in P2, but P3 brings it back in a way that affects both storyline and gameplay without a solid time limit in which you have to complete the game.
  • There are no caves! Now the odd cave or two in P2 was fun. There were too many of them however. The caves sort of ruined the RTS experience by giving you infinite time and linear paths. The sunrise-sunset limit is ever present in P3. 
  • Storyline. P2's storyline was little more than two guys going on a business trip. This one is much more involved with developments happening throughout. You've also got three rather enjoyable characters to get to know.
  • The Rock and Winged Pikmin are a lot less gimmicky than the Purple and White Pikmin (though I do miss those two). 
  • All of the boss battles are suitably epic. 
  • The Wiimote + Nunchuck controls are really goodm while the map is going to be your best friend in the whole wide world. 

If you don't already have a Wii U but have payed and enjoyed Pikmin before, P3 is just about the perfect reason to hand over your cash. I seriously recommend that anyone with a Wii U tries it. It's fantastic.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 3

I defeated the final boss within 2 game days and lost about 60 Pikmin...but I decided to reset the game when I beat it because I wanted to get all the fruit first. I'm still confused by this boss, what the hell is it supposed to be????

Edited by KrazyBean

I defeated the final boss within 2 game days and lost about 60 Pikmin...but I decided to reset the game when I beat it because I wanted to get all the fruit first. I'm still confused by this boss, what the hell is it supposed to be????

lol, shows how bad I am at the game then. I didn't form a strategy at all, ran from all the enemies and was completely stumped by the final chase area. I'm sure I could do it much better a second time over, but for what it was going in totally blind and having to learn the ropes for the first time made for a really unique experience. I won't be able to replicate that a second time knowing what I'm up against.

Also, I think I left behind a huge portion of the fruit. I didn't even find more than about 20 types.

Edited by Blue Blood

Well, I just beat the final boss. Holy shit was that ever intense and scary. It took several days and hundreds of Pikmin to manage it. The final boss is... (story and boss spoilers within)

... the "Plasm Wraith".

It's just as bizarre and frightening as the Water Wraith from P2, except this one is golden. You meet it at the top of a tree stump, where it's for some reason holding Olimar hostage. After you scare it off you have to carry Olimar back down through a maze. It'll soon start to  give chase though as a huge, goo-like slug and won't stop until it gets Olimar back and climbs back to the top of the stump. During this stage the Pikmin carrying Olimar will follow Brittany and the Wraith will follow said Pikmin to steal Olimar back. Alph and Charlie have to go on ahead and make a path while Brittany distracts the beast. It's a bloody long trek, but you can open up little shortcuts to help you when you come back the next day. When you finally make it outside, the Wraith will take Olimar and engage you in one of the more brutal and heart pounding battles.

The only way that this thing isn't as menacing and unnerving as the Water Wraith is that it's slower than you, making escape easy, and should it catch Olimar it becomes vulnerable to basic attacks. And apart from in the absolute final showdown (where I think you can reach the Onion easily), it hardly poses a threat to you and is more like a nuisance. 

The whole thing though with the music, this bizarre Wraith, the chase and the sheer sense of terror and panic made it one of the best final levels and battles I've seen in a game for a long, long time.

There's also a point mid-to-late game (just before you finally get the Blue Pikmin) that Louie steals all of your food supplies. So every piece you've collected up until that point is lost temporarily, making you start from 0. Now that I think was a really nice touch cause I'd grown lazy in my hunt for food by then since I'd accumulated a 30-day supply of it.

Pikmin 3 easily usurps Pikmin 2 as the best game in the series by bringing back all of the best features and getting rid of some of the detrimental ones.

• One of the best things about P1 was the sense of loss, desperation and impending doom. That was entirely lost in P2, but P3 brings it back in a way that affects both storyline and gameplay without a solid time limit in which you have to complete the game.
  • There are no caves! Now the odd cave or two in P2 was fun. There were too many of them however. The caves sort of ruined the RTS experience by giving you infinite time and linear paths. The sunrise-sunset limit is ever present in P3. 
  • Storyline. P2's storyline was little more than two guys going on a business trip. This one is much more involved with developments happening throughout. You've also got three rather enjoyable characters to get to know.
  • The Rock and Winged Pikmin are a lot less gimmicky than the Purple and White Pikmin (though I do miss those two). 
  • All of the boss battles are suitably epic. 
  • The Wiimote + Nunchuck controls are really goodm while the map is going to be your best friend in the whole wide world. 

If you don't already have a Wii U but have payed and enjoyed Pikmin before, P3 is just about the perfect reason to hand over your cash. I seriously recommend that anyone with a Wii U tries it. It's fantastic.

Heh, no wonder its selling like hotcakes in japan(whats this weeks totals anyways?) it may just help boost sales significantly here, specialy with a steady-ish string of releases coming in the next few months

lol, shows how bad I am at the game then. I didn't form a strategy at all, rand from all the enemies and was completely stumped by the final chase area. I'm sure I could do it much better a second time over, but for what it was going in totally blind and having to learn the ropes for the first time made for a really unique experience. I won't be able to replicate that a second time knowing what I'm up against.

Oh yes...that final chase area was the hard part. I just wanted it to end really. It took me about 6 days to complete it but I think it's impossible to complete it in one day.

Man this game is amazing...but it ended too quickly. I just wanted it to be a couple of hours longer or even have 1 or 2 more areas =\

Edited by KrazyBean

Heh, no wonder its selling like hotcakes in japan(whats this weeks totals anyways?) it may just help boost sales significantly here, specialy with a steady-ish string of releases coming in the next few months

69% drop. It's sold ~120k across two weeks which is a weaker launch than the second game but slightly better legs than the first one. It's doing alright but it's not that great of a hit.

Oh yes...that final chase area was the hard part. I just wanted it to end really. It took me about 6 days to complete it but I think it's impossible to complete it in one day.

Man this game is amazing...but it ended too quickly. I just wanted it to be a couple of hours longer or even have 1 or 2 more areas =\

Agreed on all fronts. When I said the final boss took days, I was talking about the entire level instead of just the end battle. I spent day 29 through 35 on it. 

And yeah, it's definitely too short. A few extra areas wouldn't have gone amiss at all. 

Doesn't the game have COOP missions?

Yeah. There's story (1P), mission (1P or 2P co-op) and Bingo (2P VS). None of that matters as far as I'm concerned though, since there's no online. 

EDIT: Question. Is it just me, or does P3 have a lot less combat than it's predecessors?

Edited by Blue Blood

Game is fantastic like I knew it would be. I had Pikmin 2 when I was much younger but I didn't quite 'get' the gameplay back then, now I'm older I much more appreciate it, it's a truly beautiful game and even my boyfriend who is isn't into video games at all is loving it.

Makes me want to go back and play the first two, will I still enjoy then after playing this though? I'm guessing I'll be wanting the New Play Control versions though?

It'd probably be cheaper to get the NPC versions. They also have the ability to restart from an earlier day if you messed up, like in 3.