Awoo.

Pikmin 3 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Oh, I'm really loving these new characters, especially their adorable little suit designs (dat whistle <3), and I really prefer these designs over what were originally planned. Though, what happened to the other sort of Louie-esque captain that was seen alongside the other 3 in the concepts? Is there simply no one there playing as him during the screenshots. Also, will there be a 5th member of this team going along with the Wii U's 5-player compatibility?

Mighty shame that this is only gonna be 720p.

At 60FPS? If 60FPS I'll completely forgive it for being 720p.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm gonna go ahead and be the angry old fart of the group and say that I miss Olimar, Louie, The President, and The Ship. It feels weird to miss playing as a Nintendo protagonist because they're all usually just blank slates, but I loved the whimsy Olimar brought to his botanical work, the bizarre cooking notes of the usually sleepy Louie, The President's fun old guy demeanor, and The Ship's somehow charming egotistical used-car-salesman routine. I understand the need to expand a franchise, but I was hoping to take the characters I liked with me into the HD era, not leave them behind. (And for those speculating that the mission is to rescue any combination of the above characters, I would say that's not quite the same. People don't get to connect with Zelda the way they do with Link, for example. And I would still miss all those notes that made the second game such a charm to explore).

And on a side note, I don't get Rock Pikmin. Or gold nuggets. It seems weird to single out a ridiculous thing in a sea of ridiculous things, but I suppose for me it's a bit like Superman. I'm perfectly comfortable with him flying around shooting lasers from his eyes, but the second he pulls out glasses and everyone thinks he's Clark Kent is the second you lose me. The game better have a good explanation for these things, or else it's just gonna be sitting there in the back of my mind throughout my playthrough.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

Rock Pikmin are created when Pikmin are sucked up by this jelly fish like enemy thing, it has rocks in its stomach and the Pikmin get mixed around with them. They pop out fused when you kill it. They may occur naturally too but, that's the way they've been introduced so far.

This makes me even more sad this game doesn't have Online Multiplayer. Why Nintendo..?

I really like those three characters tho', especially the green guy.

Rock Pikmin are created when Pikmin are sucked up by this jelly fish like enemy thing, it has rocks in its stomach and the Pikmin get mixed around with them. They pop out fused when you kill it. They may occur naturally too but, that's the way they've been introduced so far.

But.. like... how do they eat? Are there holes for its eyes?

I mean, certainly things like the Candypop buds were just there for gameplay purposes, but the effects of the species could be explained away as some chemical change or whathaveyou instilled in the plant-like Pikmin. I'm not expecting to know the full biology of a random Nintendo power-up, for certain, but Pikmin in the past was a bit more concerned with these sorts of things than other series. I dunno, very probably reading too far into it, but the Rock Pikmin are just not my favorites for a variety of reasons. 

To counterbalance that with something positive, though, I'm very excited about the possibilities of flying Pikmin. Nothing bugs the crap outta people quite like killer ants with wings.

No Pikmin have mouths, not even Blue Pikmin, those are actually gills. So, technically none of them eat in the typical sense (they're plants, not insects). They do what plants do, absorb nutrients. Since they still have their plant stalk, they can absorb nectar and other such things. They actually aren't that ludicrous as there are plants that grow around rocks and through them, it's just not the typically ideal habitat but there are some species that do with what they have for an attachment point.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

No Pikmin have mouths, not even Blue Pikmin, those are actually gills. So, technically none of them eat in the typical sense (they're plants, not insects). They do what plants do, absorb nutrients. Since they still have their plant stalk, they can absorb nectar and other such things. They actually aren't that ludicrous as there are plants that grow around rocks and through them, it's just not the typically ideal habitat but there are some species that do with what they have for an attachment point.

Well yeah, I figured that already. But Pikmin absorb things at precisely the point where a mouth would be on a given specimen, precisely the point where Rock Pikmin have a giant chunk of mineral in the way. And furthermore, we aren't exactly dealing with a plant having grown around or through rocks so much as having a rock rudely fixed on a creature not accustomed to it. And what precisely would become of the Pikmin's existing capabilities? Would Red Pikmin still be immune to fire, would Blue Pikmin be able to breathe in water? The first I can see as entirely possible, but the second sounds ludicrous. Will have a rock affixed on a Pikmin change the way it behaves based on what logically would follow, or would it just change them in some sweeping sense that does not?

Well couldn't you just say that the inner juices of the jellyfish creature create a chemical reaction that causes the pikmin to fuse with the rocks present in the stomach? 

Well couldn't you just say that the inner juices of the jellyfish creature create a chemical reaction that causes the pikmin to fuse with the rocks present in the stomach? 

I still don't know how they'd eat though. Or a myriad of other things. That seems like a weird thing to get hung up on, of course, but it's simply the most obvious issue that comes to mind.

I really love when Nintendo does this kind of stuff with their games, it gives me an actual reason to use Nintendo Video again <3

• 1 month later...

I really wonder what the Nintendo Network logo is for. I'm hoping for some sort of multiplayer.

I really hope Whites and Purples are in this...I love me some little white dudes.

...wait...I mean... :V

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder what they could be talking about?  It seems like all the most important stuff has pretty much been covered.  Maybe the photo feature with Miiverse?

Well, as eager as I am for new info, I almost feel like I've had enough.  The game comes out in a little over a month over here, so I hope they don't feel the need to shower us with clips that give away more parts of the game.

Normally I avoid GAME, but I absolutely had to order Pikmin 3 from them this adorable bonus keyring:

gm_widget_Pikmin3.jpg

Link £34.99, so a really good price too actually. 

Oh wow that is pretty neat! I was debating whether to pre-order from GAME or ShopTo, but this has made my mind up for me. ShopTo's a pound or so cheaper but I'll make that up on reward points at GAME, and if there's a free keyring in it too... well, it's actually looking like the better deal for once!