Awoo.

Watch Dogs - Everything Is Connected - Connection is Power (All Consoles)

Nintendoga

When people stop complaining about Bayonetta 2 biggrin.png

Sigh. That whole mess is ridiculously stupid, but that really shouldn't be an excuse to cry betrayal at the publisher that tried time after time to see success on the Wii U, even after multiple games bombed on the system.

Who even complains about Bayonetta 2 now?

You'd be surprise. Platnium doesn't like talking about the game because of the fanboys that keep pestering them to port it

Sigh. That whole mess is ridiculously stupid, but that really shouldn't be an excuse to cry betrayal at the publisher that tried time after time to see success on the Wii U, even after multiple games bombed on the system.

It was a joke and I think I'll have to bring the Rayman legends card. A game that sold the most on the Wii u despite it being delayed and going multiplatform but I digress. I hope this game does suffer the same fate as origins and legends aka coming out after a big title game comes out(skyrim and GTA V)

I'm not sure if Watch Dogs will suffer the same fate since people already consider it a "big game." Makes no sense for it to compete with itself.

What else is coming out between April and June this year anyway? Child of Light? Oddly enough that's another Ubisoft game.

It was a joke and I think I'll have to bring the Rayman legends card. A game that sold the most on the Wii u despite it being delayed and going multiplatform but I digress. I hope this game does suffer the same fate as origins and legends aka coming out after a big title game comes out(skyrim and GTA V)

Are you suggesting that Watch_Dogs will do several times better than both Assassins Creed games combined?

Are you suggesting that Watch_Dogs will do several times better than both Assassins Creed games combined?

Whoops spelling error I meant it won't suffer the same fate as origins and legends

Ugh. This just feels wrong. It's like a vicious cycle at this point. Yes, I know that Ubisoft and other third parties are wary of the Wii U because of it's install base, but I can't help but feel that the install base wouldn't be nearly as low as it is if a lot of said third parties actually gave a damn about their Wii U ports, installments, and versions in the first place and weren't so busy just bad-mouthing Nintendo this 8th gen.

Ugh. This just feels wrong. It's like a vicious cycle at this point. Yes, I know that Ubisoft and other third parties are wary of the Wii U because of it's install base, but I can't help but feel that the install base wouldn't be nearly as low as it is if a lot of said third parties actually gave a damn about their Wii U ports, installments, and versions in the first place and weren't so busy just bad-mouthing Nintendo this 8th gen.

I absolutely understand complaints and disappointments, but I don't think it's fair to pretend Ubisoft didn't even try to make ends meet on the system. They released an exclusive launch game that used the GamePad better than half the games Nintendo themselves made for it. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, I'll be honest: hearing this news is really killing my interest in getting the game.

It's like, as much as I'd love to do it, what's the point, if there's a very real possibility that I can't even buy it in the first place? LIke i've already said, I don't have a PS3, my Xbox 360 is out of commission, and I can't afford either a PS4 or Xbox One, so if the Wii U version is given the boot, I'm screwed. sad.png

• Thumbs Up 6

I absolutely understand complaints and disappointments, but I don't think it's fair to pretend Ubisoft didn't even try to make ends meet on the system. They released an exclusive launch game that used the GamePad better than half the games Nintendo themselves made for it. :/

I actually wasn't referring to Ubisoft's first efforts, but many of the other third parties. Basically, Wii U got off to a slow start, and it seems that many third parties started to panic at that and thus gimp their Wii U installments, not putting much effort into them. Ubisoft actually started off fine with the effort with stuff like Zombi U, but now what with stunts like Rayman Legends and Watch Dogs now, even they have become part this monotonous cycle.

The thing that annoys me the most is when third party companies like Square Enix claim that the Wii U being underpowered and incapable of certain things is why they gimp of skip its installments, only for other third party companies like Platinum, Big Red Button Entertainment, SEGA, etc to prove them dead wrong showing the Wii U CAN do a lot of those things and actually put EFFORT into their Wii U titles. 

I'd take this quietly if third parties would just fess up that they're scared by the low install base and admit that's why they skip or gimp Wii U in the run of things, but NO. They have to make up excuses that insult our intelligence and only serve to expose them when another company actually puts the Wii U to the test.

Hell, going off of what so many of the third party companies like EA, said about the Wii U, would you have imagined Sonic Boom possible on it?! Hell, we actually saw it on the CryEngine trailer before we even knew it was a Sonic game; bet no one thought it was a Wii U game.

I'm sorry but there comes a time when BS is just plain corporate BS. Yes Nintendo made a few marketing mistakes and whatnot, but with the norm of "effort" and long line of inconsistent statements uttered by companies, I'd very well say that third party companies are equally, if not more at fault than Nintendo themselves.

Bottom line, if the Wii U didn't keep getting the shaft when it comes to third party games, it stands to reason there'd be a much, much bigger install base compared to the situation today.

All I can hope for is a bit more polish on the Wii U version as well as GamePad features. If they cancel the one game that could show off the true potential of the GamePad then screw it.

• Thumbs Up 1

And furthermore, maybe the reason Wii U versions aren't selling is because Wii U owners are sick of their games getting canceled, weakened, and getting way less than the Wii U is capable of. 

After reading the Destructoid article and Doctor MK's post I have to admit, I've almost forgotten about Watch Dogs too. There's been hardly any news or gameplay vids since E3 and I'm slowly losing interest in it. Doesn't help either that the game is looking more and more like a modern day version of Assassins Creed, which to me feels too samey.

This game is definitely not as hyped as it used to be, so I'm anxious to see how well it does come release day and if the game itself still holds up.

• Thumbs Up 4

After reading the Destructoid article and Doctor MK's post I have to admit, I've almost forgotten about Watch Dogs too. There's been hardly any news or gameplay vids since E3 and I'm slowly losing interest in it. Doesn't help either that the game is looking more and more like a modern day version of Assassins Creed, which to me feels too samey.

This game is definitely not as hyped as it used to be, so I'm anxious to see how well it does come release day and if the game itself still holds up.

Modern day assassins creed? Oh goodness now you just made me realize that ubisoft is going to milk the ever living hell out of this series if its successful and by the time we get up to watch dogs 4 nobody really cares that much

Modern day assassins creed? Oh goodness now you just made me realize that ubisoft is going to milk the ever living hell out of this series if its successful and by the time we get up to watch dogs 4 nobody really cares that much

Watch Dogs: we won’t start a game unless we can franchise it, says Ubisoft

Yep, they did mean it.

Ubisoft was pretty much the only major publisher to give half a shit about the system in the first place.

Can we not do this every time a third party publisher shockingly seems wary about the Wii U?

And there's the problem. I'm sorry if I come off as ranting, but I cannot shake the belief that the Wii U's install base wouldn't be so dang small if more third-parties other than Ubisoft had actually took a chance and actually gave a Wii U game sufficient effort, rather than cripple the Wii U version only to act surprised when it doesn't sell as well as the other versions which didn't get the short end of the stick.

I can't blame Ubi at all for this, even though I can't deny it leaves a sour taste in my mouth..

If anything, I wish Nintendo were more eager to pay for third party support like its competitors are..

I'm not sure if Watch Dogs will suffer the same fate since people already consider it a "big game." Makes no sense for it to compete with itself.

What else is coming out between April and June this year anyway? Child of Light? Oddly enough that's another Ubisoft game.

Well actually, the Wii U version would have had to compete with Mario Kart 8. Perhaps the delay makes a bit more sense now. Still stupid, but when there's a long standing record of 3rd parties being wary about competing with Nintendo titles; it's not as surprising.

My biggest issue with Ubisoft’s support on the Wii U (and also some of the big 3rd Party developers) is that they don’t usually stick to their guts on whichever product they release on the console.

Being straight forward, if Ubisoft gave at least half a shit to the Wii U they would have treated the console at least in equal terms with the other platforms. They would have made their exclusive titles and multiplatform versions decent enough to guarantee a certain degree of decent sales. Instead, we see gimped, messy ports such as Splinter Cell Blacklist, missing content such as Assassin’s Creed IV DLC or SC Blacklist’s local co-op, and broken exclusivities such as Rayman Legends, let alone delayed when it was literally ready to launch.

When you cannibalise your products in order to benefit others released on other platforms, of course potential customers of that platform will not be interested to grab a copy of your games. The fact that Ubisoft don’t see this issue is what really frustrates me, let alone when they come up with the usual “See? I told you! Our games don’t sell on Nintendo consoles!” bullshit pulled up by many 3rd Party developers over the years.

The case of Rayman Legends was a fatal error IMO: if you have an incredible exclusive which would drive potential customers to the game and the console, instead of sticking to your guts and push that game strong enough to make it successful, why would you decide to go paranoid over its probability of success and you end up not only breaking the exclusivity deal but you also delay the game? If they stuck to the original plan, the game may have had some long-running legs during the first months instead of dying off right after a few weeks, translating into better sales and probably covering up development costs while pushing some Wii U units. Both sides of the deal (Ubisoft and Nintendo) would have been happy. Instead… well, you know what happened.

We can all argue about how the Wii U’s current install base is small (~6 million), how Nintendo should have a better policy with 3rd Parties, or how the console underperformed miserably during most of 2013, but it was Ubisoft to blame and not Nintendo this time, quite frankly. They were the ones who decided to pull the plug out of fear and (most likely) greediness by multiplating and delaying Rayman Legends and their strategy didn’t work; and not precisely because of the Wii U’s low user base, otherwise why the hell did they give PS Vita a port as well?

In regards to Watch Dogs, we are seeing this happening again: excluding a platform because of lack of faith. The worst part of Watch Dogs in general is the fact their development costs are rising as we speak: the game was $68 million with a forecasted target of 6.2 million copies to sell before the delay suffered back in October. So how much will Watch Dogs cost once development is completed? Then you gotta account distribution and marketing sales and the budget will skyrocket, and considering how Ubisoft wants to make Watch Dogs the next Assassin’s Creed, they seriously need to market and re-hype the hell out of that game. In other words, Ubisoft must make sure every sold copy counts across their platforms in order to break even. Counting out the Wii U version would make things more difficult: if delayed, a good amount of the user base may ignore it due to Ubisoft’s attitude or be driven towards other more compelling games released on the console (ie Mario Kart 8); if cancelled, all its development time and resources will be wasted unless the other versions sell well enough to cover up its cancellation. If the game doesn’t meet the appointed sales after the Wii U version gets delayed/cancelled, much like what happened with Rayman Legends, you know who’s the one to blame.

All in all, I am expressing this in frustration and disappointment towards Ubisoft. Their games are undeniably amazing, but the way they are treating the Wii U user base is something I find extremely hard to defend. =(

I can't blame Ubi at all for this, even though I can't deny it leaves a sour taste in my mouth..

If anything, I wish Nintendo were more eager to pay for third party support like its competitors are..

I highly doubt Nintendo wants to have a word with Ubisoft after the latter flipped the bird to them by breaking Rayman Legends' exclusivity deal, to be perfectly honest.

• Thumbs Up 1

I highly doubt Nintendo wants to have a word with Ubisoft after the latter flipped the bird to them by breaking Rayman Legends' exclusivity deal, to be perfectly honest.

Then they can continue to be the laughing stock of the industry as their competitors make several times as much money year after year. Business is no place for indignant pride and arrogance, especially when you're in last place.

Beggars can't be choosers.

You know it would be hilarious as hell if watch dogs sells the most on Wii U

You know it would be hilarious as hell if watch dogs sells the most on Wii U

That's too impossible to be funny

Then they can continue to be the laughing stock of the industry as their competitors make several times as much money year after year. Business is no place for indignant pride and arrogance, especially when you're in last place.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Hard to choose when third parties all around will gimp your console's version out of spite or lack of faith alone, lest they be paid a pretty penny.

Y'know normally when I read about this kind of news I tend to get all annnoyed and pissy, wondering why a company would choose to screw over someone like me, who wants a next-gen experience but can't afford a PS4 or X1...

Bub be honest: How many other people here still have this as their most hyped 'next-gen' game?

Tbh when I first saw the gameplay trailer I was all like: "WOAH ACTUAL GAMEPLAY AT E3 INSTEAD OF A CINEMATIC! DAT UNIQUE TAKE ON MODERN ISSUE! THAT UNIQUENESS!" Seriously this WAS the next generation of video games imo.

Ever since the delay, however, it's kinda just sunk into the background for me. I mean before it looked to be the definitive NG launch title, but now that it's been delayed it just doesn't have that same impact for me anymore and I suspect for a lot of other people as well. I mean PS4 and X1 owners are probably already sated, with their new gamez with cutting edge graphics and shizz, and I doubt that anywhere near the amount of people will buy WDogs now than if it had been released initially. Just like with Rayman Legends the magic has just worn off.

Also, in conclusion, I don't know why Ubisoft insists on giving Wii U owners the short end of the stick and then act surprised when games don't meet expectations. As a Wii U owner and consumer, I don't appreciate having my confidence in a product constantly toyed with and wavered, which was the reason why I still haven't gotten Rayman Legends.

• Thumbs Up 7