Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

Clipping pupils is the new green eyes. RUINED FOREVER! But seriously, I'll be downloading this even if it has some minor issues compared to the GC version.

cut dialogue "put your hands up in.. not again"

Gah, that's still there? That's the ONLY thing I really, really hoped they'd fix. Damn it.

Gah, that's still there? That's the ONLY thing I really, really hoped they'd fix. Damn it.

The weirdest thing, the dialogue is not cut in the Dreamcast version. But I'm only talking about that cutscene, I believe the rest of then are still cut. By the way, for those who have played the game, did they fixed the volume issues during the cutscenes or the lip sync?

Lip sync still looked screwed up in the video on the last page. Sonic stops talking, than his lips stop moving a couple seconds later, then he jumps off the helicopter.

The weirdest thing, the dialogue is not cut in the Dreamcast version.

I remember, in the Dreamcast version:

"You're the fake hedgehog around here. You're comparing yourself to me? Ha you're not even good enough-"

"I'll make you eat those words!"

"-to be my fake!"

As well. I remember it because it reaaally bothred me.

That's still there. None of the voice clip issues have changed.

"..Not bad for an impost--"

"DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?"

"er.."

That's still there. None of the voice clip issues have changed.

Ugh... Whatever. I guess they can't be assed to fix obvious broken dialouge.

I remember, in the Dreamcast version:

"You're the fake hedgehog around here. You're comparing yourself to me? Ha you're not even good enough-"

"I'll make you eat those words!"

"-to be my fake!"

As well. I remember it because it reaaally bothred me.

Yep, like I said on THAT cutscene. The cutscene were Sonic is surrounded by cops. The quote "put your hands up in the air" is completely spoken in the Dreamcast version, just it. The rest is shit, yep.

Edited by Jango

It would actually be very postmodern in terms of realistic diction if it wasn't done on accident.

Ugh... Whatever. I guess they can't be assed to fix obvious broken dialouge.

Well it's part of the game's charm. I would actually be saddened if it was fixed.

Well it's part of the game's charm. I would actually be saddened if it was fixed.

Meh, even as a youngin' it bothered me. I guess I should be thankful it went from living faces of Sonic Adventure to screwy dialouge in 2.

One thing though... Shadow The Hedgehog and Sonic Generations (for example) have all voice acting and sound effects tied to the soundtrack. Is this the case with SA2? Can you turn off music and just have speech/sound effects in cut-scenes?

If so then... yeah they were kinda lazy and probably could have fixed the speech. But if they were working with just a single sound file for each cut-scene that couldn't be edited, that's kind of understandable.

Is it safe to assume the website is running on PST, and that since there was never an official PC date the site just put a placeholder date in and it is counting down to that?

If the PC version was coming out that soon, then they probably could have easily known and mentioned that on the blog.

Edited by Mykonos

Won't be the first time that reviewers slam Sonic and it won't be the last time so I'll just ignore them in favor of playing my favorite childhood game knowing that it is old and enjoyable warts and all.

• Thumbs Up 6

pretty poor how they didn't bother to fix the audio overlapping, and the pupil clipping has always been the same, even in Battle on the Cube, from what i've seen nothing has been fixed, thus making it a lazy/shoddy port.

There's always one.... :D

Great to see that update on the PC release, although it does seem like damage control to me! :D

I guess playing the game on an emulator still has its pros.

biolizardcutscenemovsna.jpg

Those are really nice. =D

I'm not going to buy the SA2 port as I alreadly have the Gamecube version, but my sister might be interested.

Not sure if this was posted before

"Hey everyone — just wanted to reply to some of what I saw in the comments here! I understand the sensitivity over release dates and that if you are waiting for a PC version, then you don't want to feel short-changed. It has been previously announced that it is coming to PC — that's not new. If you feel like that was a backhanded way to mention it, please accept my apologies. I meant it as a reminder.

First, ‘months’ is the language from the press release. The choice to add that we're in luck was mine. I totally see why it was taken as a ‘you're in luck you have to wait’ comment but it was meant more along the lines of ‘those of us who care about PC games can be happy knowing that it is on the way.’

It's not meant as an exact figure — it doesn't mean that it will take X or more months. It means the date is ‘to be announced'. That is literally all it means. I think in general, companies have to be cautious about release dates, especially if they estimate too early. I can't say more because we don't have more information to impart.

Second, my enthusiasm there is real. I am looking forward to playing it on PC. Given a choice it's where I play most games. I am speaking 100% as a fan there — sometimes I get caught up in being able to write about games I am a genuine fan of. So when I say ‘you're in luck', it means that for multi-platform release PC games haven't always gotten the best possible version. I'm happy to say that's changing. This was not a guarantee in the past.

Obviously it would be best if everything released together, but that simply can't always happen. Here's why:

The extra time is not because we didn't develop the PC version along with everything else. XBLA and PSN have a much more streamlined release structure — it's part of what makes those platforms so appealing. ‘PC’ is not a single store, though — there are a lot of different moving parts and places that may sell a given game, be it Amazon or Steam or Origin or GOG or whatever. To make sure those line up takes a little longer, especially at a time of year when companies release a ton of games.

I hope that helps explain the comment — I know no one likes to wait. I can't tell anyone they have to like waiting a little longer, but for now that's what we have to do. These games and the fan communities for them mean a ton to me, so if there's any questions or lingering doubts, please let me know, I'll try to answer as best I can."

Posted by Edward@Sega on October 2nd, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I played the demo yesterday and will play the full game today. Maybe it's just because i'm so used to Generations and Colors by now, but these controls...these controls man...they just don't feel right to me anymore. Turning during the snowboarding part is a nightmare because of how imprecise the controls are. I kept wishing i was playing Generations City Escape instead, i miss the drift mechanic. I'm sorry guys, but i don't even like the Sonic/Shadow stages anymore.

You SA fans are perfectly allowed to like this game all you want, power to you, but i cannot do it. I already A-ranked most of Nights HD and everything about that game still feels wonderful. SA2 is just getting shittier with every passing year to me.

But again, this is just my take on the demo, maybe I'll change my mind once i get used to the controls again.

Hopefully, since I've done good work today, my parents might allow me to get this today. :3 I'll keep hoping. If not, I'll at least try to play the demo. :)

Edit: WHAT THE HELL? Singapore PSN doesn't have NiGHTS, SA2 demo or JSR. All they have is the full version of SA2.

GREAT.

Edited by Faseeh

They replaced the Chao machine with the one from DX. All you get is 'goodbye' and 'quit'.

Omachao doesn't talk at all for the parts when the circle button shows up, but talks for the others.

There are also a lot of bug fixes. The guy playing through the game tries to do many of the glitches from the previous versions, but he can't. They've been fixed. Looks like they really are trying.

This is the definite version of Sonic Adventure 2.

How long until it releases in the EU store?

• Thumbs Up 3