Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

I like how you can chose your own path which alters the story.

You're entitled to your opinion on the gameplay (though personally I find ShTH a slippery mess with a retarded mission structure), but the story in Shadow is a mess. For one thing, that whole "choose your path" gimmick is bull since only the Last Way is canon, and I don't know how to piece together the events leading up to it. Which parts of the plot are canon? Did Shadow kill the Black Arms in Westopolis, or did he kill the GUN soldiers? I know trying to make sense of continuity in modern games is a futile effort (especially in THIS game), but still.

Anyways, unpopular opinions. I find CD to be one of the most overrated titles in the series. Even more so than Sonic Adventure 2 (then again, I have a lot of nostalgia for that game). The music is fantastic and I love how the levels look, but the level structures themselves are kind of clusterfuck-ish, for lack of a better term. It doesn't help that the physics and collision detection in the Gems Collection version (I never played the original Sega CD version, but I'm sure the Gems Collection emulation is pretty close to the original) is kind of iffy. Though, I have the 2011 port downloaded on Xbox Live, and I think it's definitely an improvement. In fact, it's an excellent port. But I still find the game overrated, because of the level layout. For example, in the 2011 port I still have trouble trekking through Collision Chaos because the level design is too... well, chaotic (no pun intended). I understand that's the point, because the level is called "Collision Chaos", but I still find the level a chore to play. And besides, this port's very existence and just how well it handles compared to the original just further add to why I think CD is overrated. Sega contacted Christian Whitehead for permission to use his Retro Engine to make the Sonic CD port, so the game had to be taken apart and remade in the Retro Engine (if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me). If a game needs an entire overhaul just to live up to its high praise, then I don't think it deserved all that praise to begin with. That's how I feel about Sonic CD. It needed a completely different engine for me to consider it a great game. I'm not saying I ever thought CD was a broken piece of garbage, but I didn't feel like it deserved all the praise people gave it until the updated port back in 2011. Until the re-release, I just thought it was "okay", not bad by any means, but nothing too special other than apparently being the only game worth owning a Sega CD for.

...and, that's all I have for now.

I prefer Robotnik's orchestral theme from '06 to E.G.G.M.A.N., because while the opening bars of his iconic SA2 theme makes me go "Aw shit, it's Dr. Eggman!", I feel like the orchestral theme is more sinister and intimidating, and it can show Robotnik to be a total crazy badass! It's also a nice contrast to Sonic's usual rock themes... Is this even unpopular?

^^^

I know lots of people prefer E.G.G.M.A.N. because it's less sinister and more goofy style are more fitting to Eggman's character at least. Don't think your opinion is unpopular, but it's probably not the most common one.

Now I'm really not a fan of Jun Senoue's work past SA2. If there's one thing I do really like it's that he keeps bringing back character themes, with E.G.G.M.A.N. showing up quite often in his works. Was so glad to hear that in Generations! But all the new material he comes up with is just so boring to me. In SA1 he worked a lot with Fumie Kumatani and Kenichi Tokoi to come up with jazz-rock, and even by SA2 he was starting to be a lot less interesting. Most things he contributes now are just really poor, including most of his remixes in Generations. Green Hill modern? Terrible, with a main melody almost indistinguishable from the bass and generihorns hiding in the background.

Sonic Generations is a severely under-appreciated game.

Why?

Well, the game has it's flaws, a lot of them; just as every sonic game does.

But most of the complaints I see are so....generic and shallow.

The story? The writing? Not enough content? The length?

I mean, seriously? The game has other flaws that actually effect it a lot more than shallow complaints like that.

And some people say that the only thing holding the game up is nostalgia.

But no, the game delivers a lot more than just nostalgia.

You call Sonic Generations an under-appreciated game, then go on to say there are other flaws effecting the game on a noticeable scale than the things you list. This seems like a direct conflict of interests, but regardless I'm curious: What are these other things?

Sonic is better when he isn't so fast.

That's not to say he should be slow. But I've been playing Colors lately (and not that Colors is a great game, no, I could rant plenty about the game's problems), but after completing Generations, and Unleashed for a second time...it's just so nice to run without boosting all the time. Sonic's still plenty fast even without a jet engine shoved up his ass, and not going full blast all the time lets you do more than boost and dodge (even if Colors' controls...are kind of ass).

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't like Amy. Like, at all. And with her new "Minnie Mouse" voice, I can't even stand to listen to her talk. It's HORRIBLE.

Sonic 1 was really boring and actually kind of lame, at least compared to Sonic 2 and S3&K.

Blaze has the character traits of a lead, and can perfectly play the role of a love interest.

She was debut in 2005, during the development window of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006

She also shares traits that could blend perfectly with Elise's story in Sonic '06, most notably the ones used in the plot:

in the span of one year he had two characters that

are princesses.

are related with fire.

with emotional problems, being central to the plot somehow (can't cry/ can't show emotion).

play love tropes straight.

what I'm suggesting here is that while Amy was created to balance the sausage fest of the series, the similarities between Blaze and Elise could suggest she was created for that role BEFORE Sonic '06.

they had the need to create a love interest, they might have just created another female lead to complement Amy's role altogether.

got it?

blink.png

Mind. Blown. Brb while I conjure up a conspiracy theory that Blaze was supposed to be Elise. It works for me, and if I support ANY Sonic pairing (not saying I actually do), it would be SonicxBlaze.

Edited by Sapphire

I'm convinced Sega have it out for Knuckles, and just want everyone to hate his guts; I mean it makes sense, why else would they subject him to all of the shit he's been through.

Are they trying to make everyone hate the series, given ShtH, '06, Sonic 4, etc etc?

Hardly trying when 2 of those games arent even relevant anymore.

Edited by The Noodle

Hardly trying when 2 of those games arent even relevant anymore.

Not in this series they aren't, when Sonic does bad, nobody forgets it, ever and they will remind you, over and over and over.

That doesn't mean those two particular games are actually relevant. It just means people have a habit of being annoyingly cynical and unforgiving when it isn't warranted.

• Thumbs Up 2

Unless those were intentional attempts at making bad games, I don't think so.
My point is that Sonic Team has fucked up damn near everything at one point or another, and there's no reason to assume malice rather than stupidity, whether we're talking about Knuckles or the series as a whole.

Doesn't that kind of keep them relevant if people keep bringing them up?

If you consider online conversation between a significantly small group of people "relevance," then sure; but this has nothing to do with relevance in regards to Sega's current output and future strategies, which is ultimately more important to the franchise's quality than someone's propensity to share with the world why Silver gives them an aneurysm all the time.

My point is that Sonic Team has fucked up damn near everything at one point or another, and there's no reason to assume malice rather than stupidity, whether we're talking about Knuckles or the series as a whole.

I never said it was out of malice, but certain things just made me think is all.

Well for me. I think Silver is the second-best character in the series, second to Sonic.

I think Silver should have his own game and tell his story so people won't say "He just came out of nowhere".

I think Sonic '06 was awesome, besides the loading screens that took 10 minutes each.

I absolutely did not like any Sonic game before Sonic Adventure (Excluding Sonic the Fighters and Sonic R)

I think all of Sonic's "annoying" friends are awesome! (Except Big)

Oh, and I can't stand the Sonic games where you have to go back and play the levels to get the Chaos Emeralds, I like it better when you automatically get them all at the end of the game.

Edited by The Fantastic Mr. Rob

Three day bump time, and I think this one might piss a few people off, but I think the supporting cast is becoming severely overrated; people go on and on about how awesome they are, and how this series can't get by without them, but looking back, they've done more harm than good for this series and most of them just have standard archetypes slapped on them and stuck them in a game for no real reason. Characters that used to be interesting either have had their quirks exaggerated to the point of making them annoying shadows of their former selves, or hardly appear to leave a lasting impact, most of them don't even interact with Sonic himself. The reason nobody likes the characters is because Sega have given no reason to care about them, or want them in a game.

I think the potential for them to be interesting is there, but nothing has been done with it for over 5 years, so I have no real desire to see them come back if they aren't going to interesting at all.

Three day bump time, and I think this one might piss a few people off, but I think the supporting cast is becoming severely overrated; people go on and on about how awesome they are, and how this series can't get by without them, but looking back, they've done more harm than good for this series and most of them just have standard archetypes slapped on them and stuck them in a game for no real reason. Characters that used to be interesting either have had their quirks exaggerated to the point of making them annoying shadows of their former selves, or hardly appear to leave a lasting impact, most of them don't even interact with Sonic himself. The reason nobody likes the characters is because Sega have given no reason to care about them, or want them in a game.

I think the potential for them to be interesting is there, but nothing has been done with it for over 5 years, so I have no real desire to see them come back if they aren't going to interesting at all.

I think if the other charactes were playable along with similar gameplay to Sonic then they would be more liked.

Three day bump time, and I think this one might piss a few people off, but I think the supporting cast is becoming severely overrated; people go on and on about how awesome they are, and how this series can't get by without them.

They'd be overrated if that were the majority opinion.

In reality, a good 80% of people outside the fanbase (and even a good amount within the fanbase) are incredibly negative about the supporting cast.

• Thumbs Up 4

Not to mention they have minimal appearences and one note personalities.

People talk about how they were cool and how they COULD be cool/well liked again, rarely how they are presently so.

Calling them overrated just feels silly in that sense.

• Thumbs Up 2