Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

I think SA1 had a good idea in which Amy concluded that she should put the onus on herself to improve herself personally, by being a better friend and more independent when shit hits the fan, in order to win Sonic's affection, rather than trying to make a character, one that is naturally predisposed to opposing conformation, conform to her demands and expectations of dates and romance. Granted, I'm a fan of what a running gag it's become in that Coyote and Roadrunner sort of way, so I'm not really jonesing to see them permanently hook up.

• Thumbs Up 1

the problem is making Amy a love interest and that's where characterization shitstorm begins, it can't be done without changing Amy to something... uh... not Amy.

How so? Not that I advocate Sonic trying to woo her or anything, you can still drop hints here and there without making anything official.

Granted, I'm a fan of what a running gag it's become in that Coyote and Roadrunner sort of way, so I'm not really jonesing to see them permanently hook up.

Neither am I, but I do kind of wish the relationship was touched on in a serious way if only for one game; a running gag is funny and all, but it doesn't exactly make for appealing characterization, especially if you get tired of the running gag.

I fucking hate Tails. I really do.

Well I fucking love Tails.

Easily my favourite charcter in the 2d Sonic games. Hasn't had much of a decent role in the 3d games. He should be a playable character alongside Sonic in every game.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

Tails is kinda eh for me. Sometimes I love him, and sometimes he's just..'eh'.

the problem is making Amy a love interest and that's where characterization shitstorm begins, it can't be done without changing Amy to something... uh... not Amy.
How so? What would need to be changed that would make her "not Amy"? Aside from being less repellent, which would be a positive for everyone, in-universe and out.

I notice you hate a lot of the characters in this series.

How so? What would need to be changed that would make her "not Amy"? Aside from being less repellent, which would be a positive for everyone, in-universe and out.

If they became an item, I think it would make Sonic look better/cooler and not like a guy who constantly brushes off Amy leaving her to chase him. When what he should say is, Amy I like you but I am not interest, leave me alone.

Or maybe Sonic likes the attention?

A lot of the characters in this series kind of suck.

^unpopular Sonic opinion

Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 2

It must burn you up that he's getting much more spotlight nowadays, eh?

Not sure if this unpopular or not but if it means the return of the werehog then I hope Unleashed 2 never sees the light of day.

A lot of the characters in this series kind of suck.

^unpopular Sonic opinion

Not really unpopular considering it's what half the Sonic fanbase and about 95% of the gaming community believes.

Not really unpopular considering it's what half the Sonic fanbase and about 95% of the gaming community believes.

A quite unpopular opinion here though.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like Sonic

I liked Knuckles, now I'm indifferent to him

I hate Tails

I hate Amy

I like Blaze

I like Shadow

I'm indifferent to Silver.

I'd like Rouge better if SA2, Battle, and Heroes didn't leave such a bad impression of her that I just can't seem to look past it.

Espio's cool

Vector is cool, but his voice is annoying

Charmy's awful presence is impossible to justify

Cream is ok

Eggman is fucking awesome.

That's pretty much my thoughts on the cast.

It must burn you up that he's getting much more spotlight nowadays, eh?

Not sure if this unpopular or not but if it means the return of the werehog then I hope Unleashed 2 never sees the light of day.

Nah. I usually skip cutscenes, so it doesn't bother me.

Sonic Adventure is my favorite Sonic game. I went there. But seriously, I know it's glitched like all hell, and the non-Classic trio levels are lackluster (to be honest I like Amy and Gamma), but none of this ruins the game for me. I have unlimited praise for this game, which is ironic since '06 is my most hated game, and it's trying desperately hard to be Adventure (maybe there's a link ;P). While I'm aware that 3&K is the overall superior game, if I could play one Sonic game for the rest of my life I'd choose this one.

It's sad when a party games tacked on story can develop Metal Sonic more than an actual Sonic game. Agree with Silver, He's....just there. The plots never really call for him to appear unless time travel is involved and even that makes him even worse of a character. They need to do something to make him a understandable staple character to the series. And Rouge....Well from generations and Free riders I can say she already seems better than before..(Although she was pretty good in sa2.) Agree whole heartedly with Sonic and Tails though.

Edited by Sora

^^I fucking lost it at "Vegeta the Hedgehog" and "Trunks the Hedgehog". But yeah,while I don't agree with killing them off/never using them again, yeah the cast of this series are...kind of shallow and uninteresting outside of fan interpretation.<which is another unpopular opinion.

Edited by The Batman

Also Silver feels like they wanted another Shadow, but he doesn't actually tap into the "omg badass!" part of people's brains that made Shadow really take off.

I think the point of Silver was that this was what he was trying to be, but failed at being due to his naivety and inexperience.

Had they written his character with any shred of competence, it might have been pulled off, instead of just making him look like a total egghead.

I can agree with the rest, though suck is a strong word.

Knuckles: Y'know, I'm not...even going to touch this one now. It's all been said, and the last thing we need is that again.

Fuck that, as a Knuckles fan I'm taking this one:

Knuckles: What the fuck happened? Starting off as one of Sonic's biggest rivals, to being a complete fucking joke. It's probably the worst case of Character Derailment in the series, at least everyone else have traits of their original characterization, Knuckles is almost a completely different character nowadays; watching him in the Adventure games and early Sonic X and then looking at him nowadays, it makes you wonder just how much does Sega suck to let this happen, it's insulting. Knuckles makes Dan Hibiki, Bang Shishigami, and fucking Luigi look like the biggest badasses around because at least they get their moments in their respective series despite lack of screentime, Knuckles would be lucky to even appear let alone actually look competent. I'm almost ready to give up on him.

I can agree with the rest, though suck is a strong word.

Perhaps squandered potential is a better word?

What amazes me is how Eggman can literally be the only character to not completely suck, he's possibly the best part about the games nowadays. It's like, how can everyone else be so bad yet Eggman be so godly, I can't figure it out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I liked the calm mellow serious Knuckles. I could stand Knuckles goofy and hot-headed attitude, but when that's all you give him that's when things go bad. A balance of both Would work well as well as giving him some time in the games to actually be of use somehow.

Yeah I liked the calm mellow serious Knuckles. I could stand Knuckles goofy and hot-headed attitude, but when that's all you give him that's when things go bad. A balance of both Would work well as well as giving him some time in the games to actually be of use somehow.

It's not even just that, they've stripped everything that would have been interesting about him; There hasn't been any metion of the *you know what* or his past, or his duty or nothing, even his "rivarly" with Sonic is pretty much dead and nonexistent. He's just a meathead now.

I also kind of have to disagree with Sonic's description mostly, in that while he was seen as too pure and nice for a long time, he his starting to gain back some of that asshole, cocky persona he had before. It's a gradual step in the right direction at least, and if the writers actually bothered to properly develop and construct their plots, I'm pretty sure we can get something interesting, but alas.

Although I still like some of the characters, purely for those small moments where they did shine, I have to agree with most, if not all, of Diogenes' post... It's a little depressing to acknowledge now and then that almost all of the characters are poorly portrayed. I don't agree that Big is exempt from this, however. At the very least he's in the same situation as Blaze.

Edited by Lungo

I also kind of have to disagree with Sonic's description mostly, in that while he was seen as too pure and nice for a long time, he his starting to gain back some of that asshole, cocky persona he had before. It's a gradual step in the right direction at least, and if the writers actually bothered to properly develop and construct their plots, I'm pretty sure we can get something interesting, but alas.
Sonic's better than his worst, but he really isn't good yet. I mean, what's he done in the modern games that's got any real bite to it? Best I can think of is sneaking into Eggman's park in Colors, but that's high school punk at most, and entirely justified given it's Eggman and he was up to something.

What amazes me is how Eggman can literally be the only character to not completely suck, he's possibly the best part about the games nowadays. It's like, how can everyone else be so bad yet Eggman be so godly, I can't figure it out.
Mostly because they learned to embrace the absurdity of the character, I think. The only two real problems he's had are being overshadowed by some giant monster, and the games taking themselves too seriously, both of which have pretty much been taken care of. They've realized that Eggman may be the villain, but he's also a very strange and silly man, and they've taken that into account. Edited by Diogenes

Arguing about the series makes me seriously depressed as shit and just kills my Sonic fan buzz almost instantly, it really seems any facet of the series I like is terrible in some way so I just try to avoid those kinds of discussions all together.

I know that sounds fanboyish, but that's kinda how I feel.

• Thumbs Up 5

Arguing about the series makes me seriously depressed as shit and just kills my Sonic fan buzz almost instantly, it really seems any facet of the series I like is terrible in some way so I just try to avoid those kinds of discussions all together.

I know that sounds fanboyish, but that's kinda how I feel.

Ditto, mang. Sometimes, these kind of discussions make me feel like I'm a lousy Sonic fan for actually liking some of the things being contested in them.

• Thumbs Up 4