Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

They (critics, hardcore gamers, and such) hate basically everybody...

except maybe Eggman, Knuckles, Tails and Blaze... as it seems to be the only ones that survived NeoGAF's character sucking list...

I don't blame them really....

nor I do blame the characters

I blame Sonic Team's shitty writing, that's it.

Edited by Anti Alias

Three day bump time, and I think this one might piss a few people off, but I think the supporting cast is becoming severely overrated; people go on and on about how awesome they are, and how this series can't get by without them, but looking back, they've done more harm than good for this series and most of them just have standard archetypes slapped on them and stuck them in a game for no real reason. Characters that used to be interesting either have had their quirks exaggerated to the point of making them annoying shadows of their former selves, or hardly appear to leave a lasting impact, most of them don't even interact with Sonic himself. The reason nobody likes the characters is because Sega have given no reason to care about them, or want them in a game.

I think the potential for them to be interesting is there, but nothing has been done with it for over 5 years, so I have no real desire to see them come back if they aren't going to interesting at all.

Unpopular opinion: Sonic himself is no better off.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I remember listening to the Japanese audio for the big encouragement scene at the end of Generations-- I honestly thought the English cast was better. Everyone in the cast sounded like, well, a stock character.

That's the problem with the writing too. I love all the characters (even Charmy and especially Big <3) but they've all become one-note characters. I'd like to see them get better again, but as long as this reactionary traditionalist fundamentalism common to older franchises continues in the (good or bad) criticism about this series, it's never going to go anywhere. Hell, it's already become one of the enduring Japanese franchises that's suffered the most from this.

Edited by meowthecat

The solution:

Write the fuckers better.

is it that hard??? to not make Amy that annoying, Knuckles that dumb, Shadow THAT emo, Silver so useless, and so on!

the characters must be likable damnit. is that hard writters? is THAT HARD???

The solution:

is it that hard??? to not make Amy that annoying, Knuckles that dumb, Shadow THAT emo, Silver so useless, and so on!

Apparently yes.

You have to consider the game. Is it appropriate for the specific character? Does the general story (or hell, even gameplay) offer the right time and place for the characters to appear?

Asking Amy to be less annoying or Knuckles to be more smart doesn't help much if it has no context.

• Thumbs Up 1

The solution:

If the Western writers they've hired don't want to do it, yes. Keep in mind that these guys wrote Happy Tree Friends.

I really hope that I AM overgeneralizing here, but these guys seem like they'd be the type to not want "deep" stories in a Sonic game. So they're going to keep everything "light."

Also, I don't want to be mean at all, but I only watched a few minutes of Happy Tree Friends and it seemed like the main point of it was little animals dying in horrific ways... how exactly does that qualify them to write a Sonic game, where the point is to save both little and big animals? wink.png

Oh! And:

You have to consider the game. Is it appropriate for the specific character? Does the general story (or hell, even gameplay) offer the right time and place for the characters to appear?

Asking Amy to be less annoying or Knuckles to be more smart doesn't help much if it has no context.

This is also a very good point. Although I'd argue that it's very possible for Knuckles to act smarter in any context or Amy to be less annoying-- just dial her crush down some.

Edited by meowthecat

If the Western writers they've hired don't want to do it, yes. Keep in mind that these guys wrote Happy Tree Friends.

I really hope that I AM overgeneralizing here, but these guys seem like they'd be the type to not want "deep" stories in a Sonic game. So they're going to keep everything "light."

Is that really their choice to make? It's all Sega or Sonic Team decision if they want to keep the stories light since they the ones who developed the games, cutscenes, already have the story planned out, etc and the western writers are hired to write the script. It's mostly Sonic Team fault why people hate the characters now cause of how poorly they're handled in previous games way before these new guys came into the picture.

Edited by sonfan1984

They'd be overrated if that were the majority opinion.

In reality, a good 80% of people outside the fanbase (and even a good amount within the fanbase) are incredibly negative about the supporting cast.

Well I was speaking mostly in the fanbase, I think it goes without saying everyone outside of it hates them.

......Yeah, I know, I just didn't want to say it.

Does being less of a bitch really need context?

Edited by The Batman

Wait...that's unpopular? That opinion was rampant in the series' Dark Ages and is still looking for ways to spread its fire to this day amidst the recovery.

I have always been more of a fan of the Sonic that I make up in my own head than the Sonic I see in the games. That's always been the case for me for some reason.

Ryan Drummond is shit.

If you have a fancharacter, you are shit. Please kill yourself. In b4 flak from fantards.

Unleashed was the most polished game in the franchise.

Green Hill Zone isn't all that great in the grand scheme.

I couldn't give less of a shit about Modern vs. Classic anything.

Sonic Rush sucked.

Sonic Adventure 2 sucks more and more every day and is absolutely not the best 3d game in the franchise by any means, and can easily be summed up as everything that's wrong with the franchise to this day.

Sonic Adventure 3 is a shitty idea.

Sonic X-Treme, if released, would not have been a very good game.

Amy Rose sucks.

Rouge sucks.

Shadow sucks the hardest.

Silver is alright.

Blaze needs a redesign.

The Archie Comics are the better canon.

COME AT ME, BRO.

Edited by Lobotomy

I have always been more of a fan of the Sonic that I make up in my own head than the Sonic I see in the games. That's always been the case for me for some reason.

Most character fans are, in any series. It creates a pretty big backlash, therefore, when the devs take the character in a different direction to what the fans have envisioned of the character. That's not so bad in a community as splintered as the Sonic franchise, but franchises where one fan's perception becomes the dominant one can lead to some very fiery scenes when the devs don't interpret the character their way (alas poor Kirsten, I knew her well).

1) Ryan Drummond is shit.

2) If you have a fancharacter, you are shit. Please kill yourself. In b4 flak from fantards.

3) Unleashed was the most polished game in the franchise.

4) Green Hill Zone isn't all that great in the grand scheme.

5) I couldn't give less of a shit about Modern vs. Classic anything.

6) Sonic Rush sucked.

7)Sonic Adventure 2 sucks more and more every day and is absolutely not the best 3d game in the franchise by any means.

8)Amy Rose sucks.

9) Rouge sucks.

10) Shadow sucks the hardest.

11) Silver is alright.

12) Blaze needs a redesign.

13) The Archie Comics are the better canon.

COME AT ME, BRO.

1) Due to his poor acting? Or do you just hate the guy?

2) Okay now you are being a dick. There probably are good fancharacters, it's just that there happens to be a lot of bad ones.

3) Could be tied to Generations, though I won't deny it's one of my favored Sonic games.

4) Yeah, I never really did see what was so great about Green Hill Zone.

5) Amen to that.

6) Don't have anything to say about it.

7) It's not as amazing as certain groups say it is, but it isn't awful.

8) For what reason? Her current voice? Her obsession with Sonic?

9) Once again, what's the reason?

10) Reason needed. You dislike how he was handled in his game and Heroes? Too "dark and edgy?"

11) Whatever.

12) What for? She looks fine.

13) Opinion, though I never saw the appeal about the comics tbh.

As great as it is, I think Classic Crisis City is the weakest of the Crisis City mixes (except maybe the hub, but that's just a small snippet so I kinda ignore it). Modern is the best, obviously tongue.png

Also for some reason End Of The World is one of my favourite levels in 06conceptually despite being near unplayable. I loved Cannon's Core and Eggmanland as well, and wished there was a level in Generations where you've Classic and Modern in one marathon act. Otherwise, I guess it's just the creepy music and how the visuals deteriorate over time, very cool concept even if it's often complete ass to play.

Edited by Semi-colon e

1) Due to his poor acting? Or do you just hate the guy?

2) Okay now you are being a dick. There probably are good fancharacters, it's just that there happens to be a lot of bad ones.

3) Could be tied to Generations, though I won't deny it's one of my favored Sonic games.

4) Yeah, I never really did see what was so great about Green Hill Zone.

5) Amen to that.

6) Don't have anything to say about it.

7) It's not as amazing as certain groups say it is, but it isn't awful.

8) For what reason? Her current voice? Her obsession with Sonic?

9) Once again, what's the reason?

10) Reason needed. You dislike how he was handled in his game and Heroes? Too "dark and edgy?"

11) Whatever.

12) What for? She looks fine.

13) Opinion, though I never saw the appeal about the comics tbh.

1) Yes, because of his voice acting.

2) No, there aren't any good fancharacters. They're all red Sonics who are the long lost brother of a main character in the series. Fancharacters reek of unoriginality, autism and a misplaced sense of belonging in a fictional world.

8) Her entire character sucks. The design, the grating-as-all-holy-fuck voice, her ONLY character trait being her obsession over Sonic, et al.

9) Tits Rouge is another single-dimensional character who doesn't belong in the franchise. Her only vice was being a female Knuckles.

10) He overstayed his welcome after SA2. Heroes took everything about the character's sacrifice in SA2 and made it meaningless by bringing him back SOLELY because of the rabid fans. Let's not forget his utterly terrible game filled with fake grimdark that caused Naruto AMV makers everywhere to cum their pants with aspergian joy.

12) Never liked her design.

13) Yes, of course it's my opinion, this is an OPINION thread.

Edited by Lobotomy

In This Thread: Lobotomy proves that he's a moron :D

Or I have opinions you don't like. Deal with it, cunt.

Edited by Lobotomy
  • Thumbs Up 1

I actually agree with most of your opinions, it's just that you're going about them like a child.

Or I have opinions you don't like. Deal with it, cunt.

Deal with a strike.

Next time think before you randomly call someone a cunt or you can enjoy a ban.

Conductor you can have one too, no need to be hostile.

• Thumbs Up 1

Random implies the insult was unprompted, it was definitely prompted.

Edited by Lobotomy