Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)- How Many? One Mirrion Coins.

Nintendoga

Well at least there giving us the Classic Level Pack for free. Too bad its not always gonna be free Nintendo should release freeware occasionally. At $2.50 a pack it seems reasonable, but take into account that these are 3 levels which each last under a minute or two. You cant even choose which ones you want to play there picked at random. DLC is a start for Nintendo, but they've got much to learn and experience with it.

^ Incorrect. The course packs play the same three levels every time, unlike the original Coin Rush packs.

It does mean you can't practice them alone though - if you suck at the third course and die a lot, you have to replay the first two every time.

You do get a hell of a lot for your money if you enjoy Coin Rush though. The DLC courses are PACKED with secrets and tactical choices. They aren't designed to be played just once at all. It took me weeks of playing for half an hour every day to get the target score for the infamous Nerve-Wreck Pack.

Speaking of which, both packs were announced for NA during today's Nintendo Direct!

The night time level in the platform panic looks fun. I also like the background of the underground castle with the bonecoaster, the broken pilliars are somthing that I haven't seen before, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ooh, wasn’t expecting more DLC, that was a nice surprise. The stages are really good, too. I really do hope that once they’re done releasing the DLC Nintendo will let us just play the extra stages normally outside of Coin Rush though. Being forced to play through all of them under a strict time limit and on a single life does kind of put a bit of a damper on the experience.

I really need to go back and replay some of the other DLC packs. I played the first ones and most recent ones quite a lot, but all the ones in between happened to release on days when other stuff was going on and I only had time to play through them once each. D:

Edited by -Mark-

I was playing this game for hours while in bed this morning. It's very fun. It seems that the further you progress, the better the game becomes. World 1 & 2 were a chore, but the others have been great so far. I'm currently at world 5. I think it's certainly better than the DS & Wii versions. I haven't played the Wii U version yet, but from what I've heard it's supposed to be much better. I can't wait to get my hands on it at Christmas.

I must say, playing the 3DS XL for over an hour becomes painful. I had to give my hands a bit of a break. I also hate where the D-Pad is placed.

This was a pretty awesome pack! The target score on Challenge Pack C is a little too easy, I got it first time even though I fudged up the first flagpole, but it sure is fun. The most gimmicky of the challenge packs so far (only the second level feels like it could just be a "normal" Mario level like the other Challenge pack levels were), but it's all the more fun for it. First course is a parade of every single powerup in the game with puzzles specifically designed around each one. Second is a cave with what looks like a whole mesh of puzzles to find hidden routes. And third is set entirely in lowering/rising lava shafts where you have to act fast to grab coins along the way.

The platform panic pack is pretty cool too. There's a lot of trial and error on the first course (they made the right choice in making that Course 1 considering for a perfect performance you'll be restarting/dying a lot as you learn where the platforms go). The other two courses are very fair and good fun though, and the third one in particular has some really nice unique mish-mash of visuals (a sort of lava-y ruins-y cave-y castle).

Really? I find the 3DS XL far more comfortable than the original 3DS model. D:

Both are pretty uncomfortable.

Off topic, but I noticed that the analog stick can ware out and become loose, and can turn 360 degrees eventually. The d-pad also rattles a bit.

These are issues I noticed on all 3DS systems.

Never had any control stick problems myself. But if they do wear out fast then it may help that I always use the d-pad for 2D games.

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=193110

Mystery adventures pack and Impossible pack

Impossible pack difficulty is Danger. looks like there is no powerups other than turning into Super Mario at the halfway flag.

Yeah, the Impossible Pack appears to be channeling Kaizo Mario World a bit. It looks like it, along with the Mystery Adventures Pack, will be a ton of fun.

Gonna avoid the trailer for this one since it's the last.  Looking forward to it though, here I thought it couldn't get worse than the Nerve-Wreck Pack...

Bought myself an early christmas gift. I got the $20 eshop card. Impossible pack, Nerve Wreck Pack, Platform Panic, and Mystery Adventures will be the packs I purchase.  Like you Jez, I'm gonna try not to spoil myself on this one other than what I saw on the trailer.

I can see the final two packs but it's not letting me download them... the "download" menu icon is just empty, has "----" instead of "Purchase" and I can't tap or select it.  D=

EDIT: They're now officially released and purchasable.  Not sure what was up earlier.  Alas I am at work now so I'll be checking them out in a little while.

Edited by JezMM

Okay I've already fucking ragequitted on the Impossible Pack.  I can't even beat the first course.  This shit has no place in an official Mario game.

EDIT: Okay to uhh... elaborate a bit more.  The main problem is it's not even the sort of thing you can just get good at through repeated plays.  The game throws two Lakitus who CONSTANTLY throw spinies, while asking you to get across a pit with a four-platformed waterwheel platform thinger.  Thus every play stuff is in a different place.  The spinies fall in different places, you are in a different place, the platforms are in a different place, the spinies BAH in different places.  It's completely insane that they ask you to do this with no health items.  If there were health items I'd be happy.  But you can't even activate your gold flower.  I might just do this one as White Racoon Mario first just to... see what the hell I'm even up against.

Though it's gonna kill my OCD.  I beat every pack, got every star coin and every target score so far as normal Mario eesh.

EDIT 2:

OH MY GOD YOU CAN EVEN DIE AS WHITE RACOON MARIO.  I... WHAT IS THIS.  Q_Q

I wanted another hard pack like the Nerve-Wreck Pack but... not like this.  NOT LIKE THIS.

EDIT 3:

Okay... I finished it as White Raccoon Mario.  Man what a downer end to NSMB2.  It seriously is as hard as those fangame hacks.  I really don't think it's an appropriate difficulty level at all for the official games.  Like Grandmaster Galaxy?  Special 8-Crown?  Pssh go back to school grandma.  These levels are ridiculous.

I really REALLY wouldn't have minded if they had just put powerups in.  Extreme expert players could ignore them and decently-skilled hardcore Mario fans like me could have a fighting chance.  These levels are much, MUCH too hard to give not only no powerups, but also force you back to the start of the set at death due to the nature of Coin Rush mode.

And the last level didn't even have a cool aesthetic or anything.

I miss when I thought the Golden Classics pack was the final pack.  They were happy days.  It was a perfect ending to NSMB2.  But now... this.  Oh and I think there were no Star Coins either.  Which... bothers me because the empty Star Coin slots are still there on the touch screen.

Oh by the way the other one, Mystery Adventure Pack was good.  And the last course of that DID have an interesting aesthetic too!

Edited by JezMM

Okay I've already fucking ragequitted on the Impossible Pack.  I can't even beat the first course.  This shit has no place in an official Mario game.

EDIT: Okay to uhh... elaborate a bit more.  The main problem is it's not even the sort of thing you can just get good at through repeated plays.  The game throws two Lakitus who CONSTANTLY throw spinies, while asking you to get across a pit with a four-platformed waterwheel platform thinger.  Thus every play stuff is in a different place.  The spinies fall in different places, you are in a different place, the platforms are in a different place, the spinies BAH in different places.  It's completely insane that they ask you to do this with no health items.  If there were health items I'd be happy.  But you can't even activate your gold flower.  I might just do this one as White Racoon Mario first just to... see what the hell I'm even up against.

Though it's gonna kill my OCD.  I beat every pack, got every star coin and every target score so far as normal Mario eesh.

EDIT 2:

OH MY GOD YOU CAN EVEN DIE AS WHITE RACOON MARIO.  I... WHAT IS THIS.  Q_Q

I wanted another hard pack like the Nerve-Wreck Pack but... not like this.  NOT LIKE THIS.

EDIT 3:

Okay... I finished it as White Raccoon Mario.  Man what a downer end to NSMB2.  It seriously is as hard as those fangame hacks.  I really don't think it's an appropriate difficulty level at all for the official games.  Like Grandmaster Galaxy?  Special 8-Crown?  Pssh go back to school grandma.  These levels are ridiculous.

I really REALLY wouldn't have minded if they had just put powerups in.  Extreme expert players could ignore them and decently-skilled hardcore Mario fans like me could have a fighting chance.  These levels are much, MUCH too hard to give not only no powerups, but also force you back to the start of the set at death due to the nature of Coin Rush mode.

And the last level didn't even have a cool aesthetic or anything.

I miss when I thought the Golden Classics pack was the final pack.  They were happy days.  It was a perfect ending to NSMB2.  But now... this.  Oh and I think there were no Star Coins either.  Which... bothers me because the empty Star Coin slots are still there on the touch screen.

Oh by the way the other one, Mystery Adventure Pack was good.  And the last course of that DID have an interesting aesthetic too!

Well, I suppose that means it deserves the "Impossible" moniker, then.

The Impossible Pack is more towards the cheap difficulty.  I've beaten the pack, but it's not a very fun one at all.

I'm sure no one will be replaying this pack. 

The Impossible Pack is more towards the cheap difficulty.  I've beaten the pack, but it's not a very fun one at all.

I'm sure no one will be replaying this pack. 

Speak for yourself then, cuz I know I will play it all the time.

Well I got all the Star Coins and target score on the Mystery Adventure pack, and since there's no Star Coins on the Impossible Pack just got the target score on that.

Granted it was with White Racoon Mario but that still takes some effort due to the blocked off + Clocks that only regular Mario can get.

I'll prolly slowly try and work at beating it with regular Mario but I think it's just beyond my skills or patience.  Maybe if they were playable outside of Coin Rush I could handle it, but the tight time limit and having to start all over if you die at the end is just too much.

It still really bugs me that all the DLC stages are Coin-Rush-only. 

I was really hoping that after all the DLC was released, they'd give us a free play option, but having to do the stages on one life and a very strict time limit spoils some of the enjoyment. :/

• Thumbs Up 5

It still really bugs me that all the DLC stages are Coin-Rush-only. 

I was really hoping that after all the DLC was released, they'd give us a free play option, but having to do the stages on one life and a very strict time limit spoils some of the enjoyment. :/

To be honest, I could really only see DLC being in Coin Rush without anyone giving Nintendo beef for adding those levels to the main game and saying it was an "incomplete game". But that is my reasoning to it.

To be honest, I could really only see DLC being in Coin Rush without anyone giving Nintendo beef for adding those levels to the main game and saying it was an "incomplete game". But that is my reasoning to it.

That would be really stupid tbh.  The game looks completely rounded off and well-formed without DLC.  Adding an extra World would have been fine.

It'd be as silly as complaining that World Star wasn't part of the main game or something and that course budget should have been used for mandatory content I dunno.

Edited by JezMM