Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)- How Many? One Mirrion Coins.

Nintendoga

Remember my status update moaning on losing my sparklies on NSMB2 despite never using a White Racoon Leaf?

My theorised cause was using a White Leaf block as a foothold on a particular level. When I was playing through all the levels the other day, strangely enough, a White Leaf block STILL appeared on that level. I ignored it and played through as usual. After this session, I noticed my sparklies were back on my file.

Could they actually do something as downright crazy as allowing sparklies to be re-obtained if you finish whatever levels you "skipped" again legitimately? That's really nice if so.

If not then... yay the game glitched in my favour? Lol.

(Also my Coin Rush record is now 25,000+. Got a realllly good set of levels. I can get 20,000 with plenty of room for error every time pretty much. Getting a million coins will be a cinch from here on out).

A lot of it is luck. First of all, forget White Racoon Mario runs. They're just there for casual stress-free play.

Second, hope to heaven you get a level with a Gold Flower already on it. If you do, use your gold flower from the very start, making sure to grab the other one (which will go into your inventory) for another level.

Remember that using the gold flower is all about combos. From just three paratroopas that are close enough to hit in succession with one jump, you can get 215 coins.

Knock first Paratroopa to ground + 5 coins

Hit that koopa into shell + 10 coins

Knock second Paratroopa to ground + 20 coins

Hit that koopa into shell + 30 coins

Knock third Paratroopa to ground + 50 coins

Hit that koopa into shell + 50 coins

Land on that same shell to send it spinning + 50 coins

Just as an example. Also look out for good spots to use thrown koopa shells to rack up combos, invincibility stars, gold rings etc.

Oh and of course, ALWAYS get the x2 bonus at the level end. Not getting that is like... just... go home.

There's a few 30,000 coin videos on youtube to check out (wonder why they made that the maximum...).

Y'know, I really, really like this game. There's an indescribable joy in finding a huge stack of coins or plowing through a level as Gold Mario, and despite using (mostly) the same backgrounds and foregrounds the game feels fresh. The level design is also really good, especially for a bunch of rookies.

And dat coin rush mode. I really hope they find a way to shoehorn it into more installments because it's super addictive fun fun awesomesauce.

Remember my status update moaning on losing my sparklies on NSMB2 despite never using a White Racoon Leaf?

My theorised cause was using a White Leaf block as a foothold on a particular level. When I was playing through all the levels the other day, strangely enough, a White Leaf block STILL appeared on that level. I ignored it and played through as usual. After this session, I noticed my sparklies were back on my file.

Could they actually do something as downright crazy as allowing sparklies to be re-obtained if you finish whatever levels you "skipped" again legitimately? That's really nice if so.

(Also my Coin Rush record is now 25,000+. Got a realllly good set of levels. I can get 20,000 with plenty of room for error every time pretty much. Getting a million coins will be a cinch from here on out).

Nah, you can get the sparklies back.

My brother found out about it after he used it, then he went back and completed the levels and got his sparklies back.

It's a nice gesture.

Edited by Cola
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah what Cola said, they lightned up after seeing how unfair it was in 3D Land to lose the stars without even knowing you couldn't die 5 times in a level.

Even if the White Raccoon Block appears, just ignore it and you will still have the sparkling stars. And if you do use the block, just re-do the level(s) you used the block in to get your sparkles back again.

Aha, that's cool to have confirmed. Still, fascinating that they were so anal about the use of the block they even forbid jumping on top of it to get an advantage, lol.

Glad they were nicer this time round and even gave the ability to earn sparklies for newcomers who may have had no chance of getting them otherwise.

That final pack of levels is going to be one hell of a time. As for the Gold Mario ones well, it'll certainly make reaching 1 million significantly easier.

Oh wow those look like some really neat levels! Looks like the last pack will indeed be this game's equivilant of the Grandmaster Galaxy/S8-Crown in difficulty.

I'm glad they're having a bit of fun with visuals too. I wasn't expecting anything new looking but I'm glad they're mixing and matching odd combinations, like the castle/volcano core and night castle.

The bullet bill level looks hardcore... I really hope they lift the 30,000 cap for these levels.

Edited by JezMM

DLC trailer

Looks pretty neat

The third pack is gonna be amazing. timed jumping on enemies over bottomless pit will be great. Also I'm glad that they have tried to create different backgrounds. I like that ruins style level that has the cannon, also I love that volcano/castle combo. But what I especially love is the p-switch level over those mountains. that looks to be like a great challange. Overall I'm looking foward to playing this DLC.

3rd pack is basically Kaizo Mario: Nintendo Edition

Anyone else notice those platforms that switch direction when you jump on them? Were they in the base game?

Edited by Cola
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yep, they were.

The last Level pack looks hard, which is good, and the first one will make 1 Million coins much easier. I got to say, good additions to the gameplay.

I kind of hope you can't make a streetpass record with these, or if it is, it's a seperate one. If it's stupidly easy to get 30,000 coins on the Gold Flower pack, pretty much everyone who has the DLC will have 30,000 records on that set in no time, making streetpass a bore. =C

I kind of hope you can't make a streetpass record with these, or if it is, it's a seperate one. If it's stupidly easy to get 30,000 coins on the Gold Flower pack, pretty much everyone who has the DLC will have 30,000 records on that set in no time, making streetpass a bore. =C

i don't know if that was addressed in the Nintendo Direct video, but I hope that they include an update to the limit along with the DLC. Especially if pack 2 will upload the scores automatically over the net.

DLC trailer

Looks pretty neat

that Bullet Bill stage

my god

On another note, the way Iwata was animated in the trailer....seems familiar....

brain-age-3ds.jpg

HOLY SHIT

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW

• Thumbs Up 1

But what I especially love is the p-switch level over those mountains. that looks to be like a great challange.

That part actually reminds me of that SMW special stage with the coins you have to manually maneuver.

The first two packs look neat, but the third one looks fun.

200 yen? So it's like what? $2.08 for each pack over here?

Also NoA/NoE, if Japan gets this on 10/2, can you guys please not be incompetent as usual with the 3DS e-shop and release this near that date? I'd like to play this before 10/2/13, knowing you guys.

Also NoA/NoE, if Japan gets this on 10/2, can you guys please not be incompetent as usual with the 3DS e-shop and release this near that date? I'd like to play this before 10/2/13, knowing you guys.

B-But it is Mario. There is always an exception to crappy handling when it comes to Mario games.

That part actually reminds me of that SMW special stage with the coins you have to manually maneuver.

Man, I'm trying to recall that special stage in SMW but can't remember. Do you know the exact one?

The first two packs look neat, but the third one looks fun.

200 yen? So it's like what? $2.08 for each pack over here?

I think I have overheard people say that NoA might make the price at or under $2. But we'll see. I was kind of leaning towards just getting Go! Go! As Gold Mario and Survival Panic (especially this one. I will not miss out on timing my jumps on Bullet Bill over a bottomless pit). But the second pack (Type A) is starting to win me over a bit. I might just go with all three if the price is at or under $6 for all three packs.

The DLC is available today RIGHT NOW in Europe, as announced in this Nintendo Direct Mini:

£6 for all three or £2 each if you want them separately.

WHAT. I was not expecting it so soon! Awesome!

EDIT: I didn't get a game update with an icon to download the DLC or anything, but on the Eshop there is a banner saying Add-On Content is avaliable... however clicking for NSMB2 related stuff does not find it. =C

EDIT 2: Never mind! NSMB2 has a spotpass notification on it now. Shall check in a minute, just remembered my SD Card is full to bursting at the moment.

EDIT 3: Just finished them! Some really fun levels.

The Gold Pack is pretty much what it says on the tin. Very satisfying and very easy to get 30,000, and it seems there are multiple routes and alternative goals, so there's plenty of variety if you plan to use it to farm coins for your total.

Type-A are pretty much standard levels. Like the regular levels, they all have their own unique characteristic of course, but you have to work for your coins.

And... Nerve-Wrack Pack is so hard! The P-Switch course requires some brutal jumps, and it's quite easy to screw up on the Paratroopa hopping one. The final stage is a Dash Mario one, but I never saw as many bullet bills as in the trailer, it was really short. Hopefully (or terrifyingly) that must mean even that stage has multiple routes...

I was just glad to finish, took me ages! I kinda wish these stages were avaliable in the main game just for practice, but at least it's the same ones every time so soon they'll become second-nature for finding the best route through.

EDIT 4: Oh, one more thing... The Shop Menu Theme is wasted on such a tiny little part of the game. =C It's so nice.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

WHAT. I was not expecting it so soon! Awesome!

EDIT: I didn't get a game update with an icon to download the DLC or anything, but on the Eshop there is a banner saying Add-On Content is avaliable... however clicking for NSMB2 related stuff does not find it. =C

EDIT 2: Never mind! NSMB2 has a spotpass notification on it now. Shall check in a minute, just remembered my SD Card is full to bursting at the moment.

EDIT 3: Just finished them! Some really fun levels.

The Gold Pack is pretty much what it says on the tin. Very satisfying and very easy to get 30,000, and it seems there are multiple routes and alternative goals, so there's plenty of variety if you plan to use it to farm coins for your total.

Type-A are pretty much standard levels. Like the regular levels, they all have their own unique characteristic of course, but you have to work for your coins.

And... Nerve-Wrack Pack is so hard! The P-Switch course requires some brutal jumps, and it's quite easy to screw up on the Paratroopa hopping one. The final stage is a Dash Mario one, but I never saw as many bullet bills as in the trailer, it was really short. Hopefully (or terrifyingly) that must mean even that stage has multiple routes...

I was just glad to finish, took me ages! I kinda wish these stages were avaliable in the main game just for practice, but at least it's the same ones every time so soon they'll become second-nature for finding the best route through.

EDIT 4: Oh, one more thing... The Shop Menu Theme is wasted on such a tiny little part of the game. =C It's so nice.

Nerve-Wreck pack is the pack I am most looking forward to play. Coin Challenge Pack A will be fun to play for the score attack leaderboards. Gold Rush pack is interesting but I'm not in an urgent mood to play it , other than playing as Gold Mario. I might just hold off until the end of October to see what those packs have to offer, I might just pick Nerve-Wreck , Coin Challenge, and what ever else is interesting in the next set. Cuz if nintendo really wants to satisfy veterans then Nerve-Wreck style stages will do the trick.

Well, one thing is worth saying, the Nerve-Wreck pack is VERY gimmicky. Like, stage one is running from P-Switch to P-Switch, stage two is bouncing on Paratroopas, and stage three is dash mario bouncing on Bullet Bills. There's no "normal" mario platforming breaking it up.

While there is strategy and route choosing involved in some areas, for the most part that really is all there is to the levels.

If you want some brutal level designs of a more standard Mario nature, like that of the secret worlds in Mario World or New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the Nerve-Wreck Pack might not satisfy. I'm sure the Coin Challenge Packs will vary in difficulty as we go on though and eventually provide a traditional uber-challenge.

Well, one thing is worth saying, the Nerve-Wreck pack is VERY gimmicky. Like, stage one is running from P-Switch to P-Switch, stage two is bouncing on Paratroopas, and stage three is dash mario bouncing on Bullet Bills. There's no "normal" mario platforming breaking it up.

While there is strategy and route choosing involved in some areas, for the most part that really is all there is to the levels.

If you want some brutal level designs of a more standard Mario nature, like that of the secret worlds in Mario World or New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the Nerve-Wreck Pack might not satisfy. I'm sure the Coin Challenge Packs will vary in difficulty as we go on though and eventually provide a traditional uber-challenge.

oh no, I'm not looking for world 9-7 from Wii difficulty. I'm just looking for something that is challenging and satisfiying to complete after I died 2 or 3 times.