Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)- How Many? One Mirrion Coins.

Nintendoga

oh no, I'm not looking for world 9-7 from Wii difficulty. I'm just looking for something that is challenging and satisfiying to complete after I died 2 or 3 times.

Oh... lol well you're still in for hell then. Took me a while to beat the pack, I'm just saying they aren't hellish obstacle courses like 9-7, they are all about just perfecting a singular gimmick.

On the plus side, now anyone can get 30,000 coins with barely any effort at all.

Seriously the Gold Rush pack, if you can easily get 3750 coins on the first level. As long as you get the x2 on each flagpole, that's it, 30,000 coins. You don't even need to grab coins in the other two levels, can just rush straight to the end.

No sitting around hoping that particular level shows up in the Flower Pack, nor having to overwrite your best score from random levels in order to hold onto access to it.

Finally hit one million last night thanks to the glory that is the Gold Rush pack. I don't care if it might be considered "cheating" by abusing the easy-to-get 30,000 totals - I paid for that DLC so I'm damn well gonna abuse it! :P

• 3 weeks later...

They are both pretty good.

Gold Mushroom pack is very easy to get 30,000 coins on but not quite as ridiculous as Gold Rush. You do have to work for it. The levels feel more like proper levels rather than just COINS COINS COINS but obviously as a result it falls sort of flat as an "easy 30,000 coins" set when you have to work harder for them than the Gold Rush pack.

Coin Challenge Pack B is more of the same sort of thing as Pack A, proper levels with lots of exploration and experimentation to do.

Course 1 is a ghost house, quite a complex one at that, with a gimmick of appearing and disappearing block formations ala those classic Mega Man platforms that appear only two at a time in sequence. The sequence is quite odd and tricky to get down, and certain parts of the house loop round if you mess up.

Course 2 is a tight-rope course with lots of bullet bills firing off in a row. You can find secret areas and use gold rings to amass coins by hitting all the bills that pop up in sequence without missing any.

Course 3 is incredibly short but quite tough. It has falling rocks from an eruption and not acting quickly enough will lose you blocks with valuable coins and gold mushrooms.

EDIT: Accidentally described Course 2 wrong, was talking about a Gold Mushroom Pack level. Fixed.

Edited by JezMM

I quickly played through the new DLC courses once each last night before starting Layton.

Having noticed that each DLC pack is only 2 blocks (how much does that equate to in real-world filesizes again?), is anyone else getting a bit suspicious that this DLC might actually be on the cartridge all along after all, despite Nintendo promising it wasn't?

Although I'm assuming if it was, ROM hackers would have found it by now and kicked up a fuss. Not too sure how they can have the DLC so small though. =|

Having noticed that each DLC pack is only 2 blocks (how much does that equate to in real-world filesizes again?), is anyone else getting a bit suspicious that this DLC might actually be on the cartridge all along after all, despite Nintendo promising it wasn't?

Although I'm assuming if it was, ROM hackers would have found it by now and kicked up a fuss. Not too sure how they can have the DLC so small though. =|

Well, if you DO believe them they did say the courses were made in response to feedback from players and what kind of courses they enjoyed in the game.

Also 2 blocks seems reasonable considering all the courses use existing assets. They are just coding on how the levels are arranged, much like the size difference between midi music and mp3 music.

• Thumbs Up 2

If there's something I have to credit this game for, they've executed the DLC pretty well. Relatively inexpensive, brand new original content. How DLC SHOULD be done.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty sure the overall game size of NSMB 2 is incredibly small too. I don't doubt the DLC being small because the graphics are already in the game along with the music.

Well, if you DO believe them they did say the courses were made in response to feedback from players and what kind of courses they enjoyed in the game.

Also 2 blocks seems reasonable considering all the courses use existing assets. They are just coding on how the levels are arranged, much like the size difference between midi music and mp3 music.

Ahhh, true. :0

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm late to the party as always, hahaha! But I was saving this anyway for an opportune moment.

So, my thoughts on the game. Well... they're basically like everyone else's: "Fun, but not great." Running around and looking for secrets and fighting bosses and seeing good old Reznor again with actually varied encounters was all pretty enjoyable. Needed a walkthrough to find a couple of secret exits, and also the rainbow levels at all, which I didn't have the luck to luck out on. I've just "finished," by which I mean beating my own self-imposed challenges: Five shiny file stars, a 30,000 Coin Rush record, a coin record on each level of at least 200 (or at least 100 for cannons, but for those you have to cheese them with gold blocks). But a million coins? Nuh-uh. Even doing everything the game has to offer aside from DLC I only have about 170,000, and I'm sure not doing everything another five or six times again, and I'm not really interested in Coin Rush that much either. And I think the problem is this: The game's supposed coin gimmick is a total lie.

Apparently the levels were created as part of a kind of training course in Mario level design for some of Nintendo's junior developers? And I think it's a pretty reasonable guess that the coin aspect was tacked on and edited in later on as a way of unifying those levels to justify selling this second-rate material. Because it really, really shows that a lot of the levels weren't designed with a coin-collecting gimmick in mind. For the castles and forts in particular you'd have a hard time topping a hundred in a lot of them without gold flowers or gold blocks, and it's not just those levels, either. The amount of coins in a lot of the levels is paltry. When I heard that the gimmick here was to collect a million coins, I assumed they'd be absolutely throwing hundreds at you, thousands per level, but instead my average across the whole game is something like three hundred coins per level. That fourth digit on the best coin total per level is only possible to hit in maybe three or four levels in the whole game. If you took out all the gold rings, gold flowers, and gold blocks, which equally you could just toss into any other level, there'd be nothing to distinguish the levels from any other Mario game. And, as noted, this shows particularly in the bosses and final bosses, where coins are meaningless. And it's disappointing. Not just because the game failed to live up to its hype but because they could genuinely have done some really interesting things if they'd actually tried to make it a gold-based game in which coins actually meant something. It's very telling that your million-coin reward is an insubstantial wallpaper. This is just an old-school, by-the-numbers, formula-refining sequel, and if anything I almost think I'd have been happier if they'd been honest about that rather than trying to pretend it had something unique about it.

^ To be fair the Coin Counter is impossible to make decent progress on in the main game. It's all about Coin Rush mode for that.

I will say, I wish they had ditched 1-up mushrooms and replaced them with gold mushrooms like on Coin Rush. Once you've 100%'d the game, a lot of the bonus in-level challenges (red coins, secret areas etc) are pointless when all they give is 1-Up mushrooms.

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet! Haha I just KNEW the last pack would be nostalgia levels. Or at least hoped it would be. Awesome.

EDIT: It's out here in the UK too at least. Was pretty fun! They did a great job of mixing and matching many levels combined into one.

Course 1 is mostly 1-1 from Mario 1 but going underground leads to 1-2 and various other sub rooms from throughout the game.

Course 2 is mostly 1-1 from Mario 3 but the stage from Mario Bros. Arcade is hidden, as well as several other secret areas.

Course 3 is mostly 1-4 (the first castle) from Mario 1, but there's actually a secret route that leads to 1-1 from NSMB2, but now with gold blocks EVERYWHERE.

I'm guessing this is most certainly the final pack, as it ends with

A fight with Bowser at the end of the castle, and then a traditional coin-spelled out "THANK YOU!!" area.

Good set of levels, and a fine way to close the game and pave the way for NSMBU (well... here in the UK where it's not out yet lol) and you can't argue with free.

Edited by JezMM

Don't forget people, it's FREE until 1/31/13

>tfw no SMB2 or SMB2USA love.

I'd download it, but the servers for the coin rush shop are down over-here. (of course)

I'm guessing this is most certainly the final pack, as it ends with

A fight with Bowser at the end of the castle, and then a traditional coin-spelled out "THANK YOU!!" area.

That's probably them just thanking everyone for buying the game and reaching the 300 billion coins total.

But if there was no more DLC, I wouldn't complain. It kinda makes sense in a way that they'd want to focus on NSMBU's DLC.

Edited by Mike Dawson
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think there is supposed to be one more DLC pack with the Nostalgia pack being just a bonus.

Is there a warp pipe zone?

I think there is supposed to be one more DLC pack with the Nostalgia pack being just a bonus.

Is there a warp pipe zone?

Yes.

I will go off on Saturday to find a wifi hot spot to download this gem. I also believe that is might not be the end of DLC sure there is that thing in the spoilers but I don't think this one counts toward the 3 DLC.

They said they were gonna release two more packs. One at the start of November and one at the end of November. The prophecy has been fulfilled unfortunately, even if they are less than I thought we'd get (was expecting three course sets every pack).