Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)- How Many? One Mirrion Coins.

Nintendoga

^ I do agree though at the same time the Mario 3D Land theme is fucking awesome so no. <3

(Though I do prefer the trailer version that has the lovely "ending" of the song. In the final game you only get to hear that bit in the credits).

Edited by JezMM

Everyone before playing NSMB2: THIS GAME IS SO UNORIGINAL IT'S SHIT

Everyone after playing NSMB2: This game is so unoriginal...but I love it! D:

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally I just can't get excited about this game. It doesn't seem that original and looks like it was made to be a quick cash in.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will admit, I'd have rather had a lazy LOOKING Mario game with level design this good, than one which has totally new graphics but rushed level design as a result because they were releasing it to a strict schedule.

I mean ideally I would have happily waited another year for this and got my Mario fix from NSMBU first, but I can deal.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm up to world 5. It's fun but nothing special. Way to much been there done that. I really do hope NSMBU spices things up a little. I know it at least has new backgrounds/music so that's a good start.

Edit: I forgot to say this is better then NSMB but I still think NSMBWii is much better then this.

Edited by speedfreak

This is hardly news worthy but thought I'd mention it anyway...

I got an e-mail today from Nintendo of Europe asking me to fill out a survey about NSMB2 seeing as I registered the game on Club Nintendo. Amongst all the usual questions though was one about the ration of old and new content, allowing you to quite plainly state that there wasn't enough new content in the game. So, as slim a hope as it may be, we can but keep our fingers crossed that enough people filling out these surveys has the sense to choose that option and give Nintendo's creativity factory a bit of a kick up the backside for the inevitable New Super Mario Bros 3 (or whatever the one after NSMB U is called).

Pretty much this.

Yes, it looks like a total copypaste of the last two NSMB games, but at the end of the day, the level design is good and the game is a whole lot of fun.

I just need a few more Star Coins and secret exits, now. I'm not sure whether it's brilliantly devious or hellishly annoying at just how badly this game trolls you sometimes in terms of finding its secret stuff. There'll be some places with ridiculously well-guarded hidden areas, in many cases often requiring either Gold Mario or Tiny Mario, which more often than not you'll need to acquire from another stage entirely before bringing the power to the required stage. You'll go through, thinking "Man, that was hard, but at least I finally found that last Star Coin/ secret exit"... except you haven't. Sometimes you'll just get a room with a few coins in, if that. The game really likes to laugh in your face when you think you've done something clever. D:

Also, I will say that whilst Coin Rush is certainly addictive, the random nature of it is somewhat frustrating, since it definitely brings in more than a bit of luck. I'd much prefer if it the packs had fixed levels. Also, you should be able to save one score per pack, rather than one score overall.

That said, when you StreetPass someone, you get a chance to play the exact same level pack (with the exact same stages) as they did when setting their record, which makes it pretty fair in the end, I guess.

Damn though, some of the Star Coins and secret exits are well hidden. Worse so with the latter, because due to some sneaky placements on the map, it's usually not all that clear which level actually contains the secret exit to begin with. Cue lots of frustrating random searching without even knowing if what you're looking for is actually in the stage or not. D:

All 2D Mario games are pretty much flawless except maybe Super Mario Land 2. And that weird one on that weird Japanese PC thing, Super Mario Bros Special.

This looks no different. Can't wait to play it.

All 2D Mario games are pretty much flawless except maybe Super Mario Land 2. And that weird one on that weird Japanese PC thing, Super Mario Bros Special.

This looks no different. Can't wait to play it.

What's this? Someone who is actually positive about the game before playing it? HALLELUJAH!

NSMB2 is a solid Mario game, no doubt about it. If you can look past the rehashing of level themes and music, you're in for a treat.

One thing I don't like about Raccoon Mario, is how slowly he ascends into the air. It's much slower then SMB3 and I'd wish he could pick it up a little faster sometimes.

But, I do love how they added in a neat trick. When you're flying, and you land on the ground, if you jump everytime you land on the ground, you can keep flying almost infinitely!

Actually, before I forget;

I've seen it mentioned around a few times (I think even on the official US game site) that somewhere Nintendo are keeping a collective worldwide coin total from people playing. Any idea how/ where that is yet, or is that going to be announced later?

Kind of a shame, I imagined we'd be able to see a collective total constantly going up. I mean, of course that would only take into account people who played with the wireless on at least once in a while, but still.

A more interesting question would be:

Which monetary total is rising faster? The amount of coins collected in game, or the amount of sweet sweet moolah Nintendo is making from selling it in the first place?

:P

• Thumbs Up 5

This is hardly news worthy but thought I'd mention it anyway...

I got an e-mail today from Nintendo of Europe asking me to fill out a survey about NSMB2 seeing as I registered the game on Club Nintendo. Amongst all the usual questions though was one about the ration of old and new content, allowing you to quite plainly state that there wasn't enough new content in the game. So, as slim a hope as it may be, we can but keep our fingers crossed that enough people filling out these surveys has the sense to choose that option and give Nintendo's creativity factory a bit of a kick up the backside for the inevitable New Super Mario Bros 3 (or whatever the one after NSMB U is called).

Or DLC. I really won't mind that this question kicks the backside of the current team's creativity factory to dish up new content for DLC, Be it new backgrounds, or new power-ups.

I would love to see DLC like this

I remember when I bought some of the e-cards, and since DLC wasn't common back then, it just blew my mind with all the new stuff they added.

I know they said they'd be making Coin rush levels, but that doesn't mean they can't add in cool stuff in those levels like in the video.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, I remember when I first saw the E-reader. I really wanted to get all those levels when I was younger. If they put that same amount of effort into this game's DLC I'll tip my hat to Nintendo. It's such a shame about all the stuff we didn't get for that Japanese E-reader.

... You know, I just had a thought about SMA 4 on the VC, but that's for a different thread.

Yeah, there was all sorts of cool stuff for SMA4, it makes me really sad that they didn't just make it some bonus stages you could unlock with just the game rather than being tied to yet another thing that succeeds in Japan but fails in the west with much of the content for it never being brought over.

EDIT: After watching that, I really wish that the NSMB series was more like those Advance levels than what we got. A game that's a combination of tons of things from old Mario games, utilizing them, using them in new ways, and introducing new concepts as well.

Edited by Ekaje

I would seriously squee if the DLC contained any reference to Super Mario Bros. 2.

I wonder what angle Nintendo will go for though - whether they'll use the extra time to make new graphics and/or music or whether they'll reuse as much as possible to keep file sizes low. Humm.

I would seriously squee if the DLC contained any reference to Super Mario Bros. 2.

I wonder what angle Nintendo will go for though - whether they'll use the extra time to make new graphics and/or music or whether they'll reuse as much as possible to keep file sizes low. Humm.

I'd bet a million coins on the latter.

Right, I've done everything except the million coins and DLC (which isn't out yet), now.

Overall, I think that some of the secrets are horribly unbalanced in terms of how they're hidden. Sometimes there'll be super-secret, clevery-hidden areas that have... nothing of any real value in them. A small bunch of coins or some enemies/ items. Yet in terms of a secret exits, a good number of them are just an invisible block placed randomly in a stage which sprouts a vine when struck, which then leads you to a secret exit.

Personally, I just find the latter a relatively cheap means of difficulty, to be honest. Rather than hiding these secret exits in areas that require skill, timing and clever item usage to reach, they just make them invisible and randomly placed. It's less a test of skill and curiosity than it is "Hey, let's see if the player jumps randomly here and finds this invisible block", when more often than not there's little to no indication that an invisible block might be there. It just feels like a lazy way of hiding secrets. Rather than hide something, they just make it invisible. This might not have bugged me as much were it not for the fact that they have a bunch of perfectly good hidden areas which could have been used for secret exits but instead troll the player with an insignificant reward.

Coin Rush is good fun, although it's hampered a little by the fact that some stages are blatant coin-farms, meaning that there's a lot of luck involved in terms of getting a good score. I think it'll come into its own a bit more once I actually start streetpassing people with the game.

Still, visual unoriginality and the slightly cheap/ artificial difficulty of many secret exits aside, it's a very fun game. I for one am going to keep working toward the million-coin goal, and look forward to the DLC.

EDIT: For the record, I begrudgingly resorted to a guide for a small handful of the Secret Exits. I didn't really want to, but quite frankly a few of them are ridiculous to the point where it was getting really frustrating.

Edited by -Mark-
  • Thumbs Up 4

The game's overall objective is to collect a million coins, and coins collected in levels are added to a total that is shared by the game's three save files. The reward for collecting 1 million coins is a new title screen featuring a

Gold Mario statue. If the coin counter maxes out (9999999 coins), the reward is a Gold Raccoon Mario Statue. [8][9][10]
Edited by Reznor