Awoo.

Sonic the hedgehog 4 - previews, interviews, and impressions topic

goku262002

Except thats bullshit, Episode II was nothing and since we are already calling Episode III an rehash just for including the Master Emerald and Angel Island (two common elements in series). Might as well start calling SA1 a rehash.

Edited by The Groosenator

Except thats bullshit, Episode II was nothing.

Edited by The Batman
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wow, I guess the story really instead worth getting excited over then, thaks for raining on that parade guys :v

• Thumbs Up 1

At the very least I want to play as Knuckles again, rehash or not, its been too long. Hopefully he won't be laughably incompetent like he's been for the past 10 years.

At the very least I want to play as Knuckles again, rehash or not, its been too long. Hopefully he won't be laughably incompetent like he's been for the past 10 years.

Also want HYPER SONIC back :D he was freaking amazing in sonic 3K

Haters gonna hate, I've always believed that this series needed more Death Egg.

• Thumbs Up 6

Then again, Knuckles could also end up going the Tails route if he appears in Sonic 4. Or in Episode III all three characters would be playable...the ideal situation.

Well, I think the thing is this:

Had Sonic 4 been made after Sonic 3, in the mid-90's, it would surely have new characters and locations. Just as Sonic Adventure introduced Big and E-102 and Chaos and Station Square, etc. However, Sonic 4 was made AFTER a period of sixteen years during which we had LOADS of new characters and locations. I think the intent of Episode 1 was to scale things back and focus only on the characters and locations established in the original Genesis/SEGA CD games.

While I agree with this concept, I think they scaled things back TOO much, to the point where it was very much a collection of rehashed elements which were intended to be homages. Episode 2, however, is much more in line with SEGA's original intent AND is what I wanted from Sonic 4 from the get go. I wanted new stages, but I wanted recognizable elements from the classic era. Splash Hill, while I don't dislike it, is far too much Emerald Hill and Green Hill. Sylvania Castle (acts 2/3) and White Park, however, are what I wanted from a Sonic 4. I can look at them and say that they're original to the game but are not offensively original. If that makes sense.

As for characters, I am VERY happy that badniks are the only new characters. Metal Sonic is "new" in the sense that he's been brought into the numbered series.

I also see Sonic 4 as an extension, not a rehash, of the Death Egg saga. The saga didn't end in Sonic 3, it continued via Eggman's implementation of Little Planet as a power source.

I think that is a very original concept, even if it involves preexisting elements. Sort of like how Sonic Adventure used the Floating Island and a tricked Knuckles again, but in a new way.

• Thumbs Up 8

The return of content in previous games i.e. Playable Knuckles, the Master Emerald, Little Planet isn't neccesarily a bad thing (although obviously not original). What is important is how the story is told through cutscenes and more importantly the levels themselves. For example the story of S3&K was beautifully told through 14 epic levels. You could literally fill the story being told as you progressed through each level, which ended with an explosive finish.

With Sonic 4 Ep1 it was like 'there was a story?' fucking news to me. It was a miss jointed mess of a game. Ep2 to it's credit looks better. At least the cutscenes seem okay. I still think the episodes are way too short. If (just being hyperthetical) Episode 3 covered the story of S3&K then how could 4 zones (ep3) be a good tribute to a game that had 14 zones?

So are you going to sit here and tell me that Slyvania Castle wasn't based on Aquatic Ruin at all? Or how about Sky Fortress Acts 2 & 3 to Wing Fortress? Oh, I guess Sky Chase and Sky Fortress Act 1 just look alike by coincidence right?

Umm, when the FUCK did I ever say that? At all!?

Sonic 4 episode II: Sonic teams up with Tails to take down Eggman's Death Egg MK II!!!!!(For emphasis), with CD's story thrown in without Amy.

Horseshit, Sonic teaming up with Tails is a weak ass reason to play the rehash card, and re-using the Death Egg for the first time in goddamn years is also a not fair reason. And Little Planet's significance is barely a factory in Episode II so no, it's barely like CD, only re-using some themes.

So, got any excuses or are these just "coincidences"

I guess I won't waste my time since you're just going to dismiss everything I say like that then.

EDIT: Oh, and to note: I have no problems with these things by themselves because they would serve as a pretty awesome throwback to Sonic 2, but in a game that's meant to be improving on what Sonic 2 did, it just comes off as lazy.

The crux of your argument is that the Classics are better than Sonic 4 then? Because it hasn't been said dozens of time before I guess?

Edited by The Groosenator
  • Thumbs Up 3

If episode III follows the same pattern (4 zone + 1 final) then there would have to be an episode IV because ken did say that sonic 4 is a massive saga.

Wait, now that I think of it, isn't this the third Death Egg? The first one would be from Sonic 2/3, and the second would be from Battle, and the third would be in Sonic 4....

Battle takes place after 4, so the Death Egg in Battle is the third one.

Did I blow your mind?

Wait, now that I think of it, isn't this the third Death Egg? The first one would be from Sonic 2/3, and the second would be from Battle, and the third would be in Sonic 4....

By that logic, it would be the 2nd Death Egg in continuity terms, since Battle occurs after SA2.

Oh yeah, my bad. I was thinking in terms of the release date rather than the games' timeline.

Umm, when the FUCK did I ever say that? At all!?

When you were claiming Episode II wasn't a rehash.

Horseshit, Sonic teaming up with Tails is a weak ass reason to play the rehash card

So the fact that he's hyped up as a "return" and the fact that he plays the exact same role he did in Sonic 2, doesn't scream odd to you?

and re-using the Death Egg for the first time in goddamn years is also a not fair reason.

When it plays the exact same role it did in Sonic 2, yes it is. If this was another game, then I wouldn't be calling foul, but its being used as the exact same plot device in a game that's supposed to be succeeding Sonic 2, and you don't find a problem with this? Its supposed to be a new saga yet its awfully similar to the saga before it. But its not a rehash right?

And Little Planet's significance is barely a factory in Episode II so no, it's barely like CD, only re-using some themes.

No, but Metal Sonic's role in it is enough of a parallel.

I guess I won't waste my time since you're just going to dismiss everything I say like that then.

Or maybe your argument is weak because it sounds like you're in denial, all you've done is just tell me I'm wrong, but not without any real reasoning. Tell me, in what way is Sonic 4 not a retreading of the Death Egg Saga despite supposedly being another story arc entirely, give an adequate reason and I might reconsider.

The crux of your argument is that the Classics are better than Sonic 4 then?

No, its that this "sequel" isn't really a sequel and more of Dimps' version of the Classic games, and if it is a sequel its a poorly designed one.

• Thumbs Up 1

So the fact that he's hyped up as a "return" and the fact that he plays the exact same role he did in Sonic 2, doesn't scream odd to you?

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'm interested in how Episode 3's story will play out. Being able to play as Knuckles again can only be a good thing.

I still don't see how Oil Desert is considered an Oil Ocean rehash, to be honest. Looks completely different to me.

And the one video I watched of part of Sky Fortress, it looked more like a space ship than Wing Fortress. Looked like a mix out of Wing Fortress and EGG Rocket. Though, I should see the whole thing before really judging it.

To say Sky Fortress isn't a rehash is simply laughable. It's aesthetically identical to Wing Fortress, uses the same enemies, many of the same gimmicks and even the same story purpose. If you want to say it isn't a rehash, well you've got to to say that none of the E1 stages are rehashes cause it's about as different to the originals as any of them. Games from 1 through to 3K did share tropes, but the also tended to be far more distinct from each other than the similar tropes in S4 (with Oil Desert and White Park being exceptions, and Sylvania Castle being a re-imagined Aquatic Ruin). CD was intentionally supposed to be like S1, while other stages like Emerald Hill and Canrival Night were of the same trope with completely different execution.

Compare the flying fortress stages- Sky Chase/Wing Fortress > Flying Battery > Sky Fortress. One of these stands out quite a lot from the others with different gimmicks, different badniks and wholly unique aesthetics. Can you guess which one?

I don''t get why SF is even so similar to WF. They clearly got the rehash issue with SC, which was unique enough to identify as different to AR. And they even poked fun at it with the boss.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 4

To say Sky Fortress isn't a rehash is simply laughable. It's aesthetically identical to Wing Fortress, uses the same enemies, many of the same gimmicks and even the same story purpose. If you want to say it isn't a rehash, well you've got to to say that none of the E1 stages are rehashes cause it's about as different to the originals as any of them. Games from 1 through to 3K did share tropes, but the also tended to be far more distinct from each other than the similar tropes in S4 (with Oil Desert and White Park being exceptions, and Sylvania Castle being a re-imagined Aquatic Ruin). CD was intentionally supposed to be like S1, while other stages like Emerald Hill and Canrival Night were of the same trope with completely different execution.

Compare the flying fortress stages- Sky Chase/Wing Fortress > Flying Battery > Sky Fortress. One of these stands out quite a lot from the others with different gimmicks, different badniks and wholly unique aesthetics. Can you guess which one?

I don''t get why SF is even so similar to WF. They clearly got the rehash issue with SC, which was unique enough to identify as different to AR. And they even poked fun at it with the boss.

Edited by Scar