Awoo.

Sonic the hedgehog 4 - previews, interviews, and impressions topic

goku262002

Hm, so, according to that preview, every Sonic game that we got between 1995 and 2010 were spinoffs... huh. Can I please read a preview for a Sonic game that doesn't make the previewer look dumb?

Can I see please read a fan response to a preview for a Sonic game that doesn't make the fan look dumb?

He's not saying every Sonic game was a spin-off. There's were a lot of ill-received spin-offs and just as many ill-received main titles. Specifying between the two doesn't make much of a difference when the opinion is "they all sucked". You know what he meant anyway.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can I see please read a fan response to a preview for a Sonic game that doesn't make the fan look dumb?

He's not saying every Sonic game was a spin-off. There's were a lot of ill-received spin-offs and just as many ill-received main titles. Specifying between the two doesn't make much of a difference when the opinion is "they all sucked". You know what he meant anyway.

Yeah, well... good point. It's still kinda dumb, though.

Im surprised people still want more of Sonic 4, considering the lukewarm reception Episode II seems to he getting.

Its a good game I'll admit, its just not what I expect from a game called "Sonic 4" but it feels more like a retread, which I guess isn't completely bad.

And yes, Episode 3 is basically a given, which means it might take place on Angel Island which would the best tie in to Sonic Adventure, which would be awesome, so yeah I wouldn't mind another episode.

Picked up the new issue of Official PlayStation Magazine UK. Here's their preview:

FTD9I.jpg

i1tJu.jpg

There's also a comment from Iizuka:

srg5X.jpg

Well, at least this article acknowledged that Generations was awesome. No Colours mention though, which leads me to believe they lumped it together with the rest of the bad-to-mediocre games. Oh, at least they mentioned, again, Generations.

Also good signs that they seem to like what they see.

Apparently a "To be continued" logo was found inside of Episode II's files.

episode III: revenge of the dimps

Apparently a "To be continued" logo was found inside of Episode II's files.

episode III: revenge of the dimps

...Episode 4, A new budget?

Episode 5, The fanbase strikes back?

Episode 6, Return of the Sonic team?

• Thumbs Up 8

I think I overestimated how much fun I would have with this game while playing as Tails based on my experience with the Sonic CD remake.

I've played two zones so far and there hasn't been a single moment in them I liked. The first thing I did was go to local co-op and mess around with Tails, and that was a little fun. But levels are a chore and not particularly exciting; like with episode 1, I found myself debating as to whether I should press the "go to next act" button or just exit to the title screen and leave the game. I feel like I'm just watching the game and am only throwing in comparatively little input.

Judging from the videos I had low expectations due to my dislike for the first episode, but I was willing to give it a shot if it was cheaper and Tails played a more entertaining role than "use him to bypass this obstacle." They might as well not have bothered fixing the physics, because the only time I noticed that something had changed was in the beginning stretch of land in SCZ 1. Contrary to what I said before, I don't believe this is something I'm willing to pay any amount of money for, and while I might finish the other two levels just to say I did, I won't bother with it again after that.

As for other things: to me, most of the music sounds even worse than episode 1's. The graphics are kind of pretty, especially zone 1's night act. The Metal Sonic boss at the snow park zone isn't all that bad, but I still hate it due to being a running boss.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think I overestimated how much fun I would have with this game while playing as Tails based on my experience with the Sonic CD remake.

I think the problem was that you were playing Sonic CD.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, at least this article acknowledged that Generations was awesome. No Colours mention though, which leads me to believe they lumped it together with the rest of the bad-to-mediocre games. Oh, at least they mentioned, again, Generations.

Also good signs that they seem to like what they see.

This is a playstation magazine why would they want to promote a game that wasn't on there system

>raises hand

Indy's entire post

>puts down hand

Welp.

S4E2 is actually a lot better than I expected it to be, and is all around pretty dang fun!.. although the dashpads are really annoying and unnecessary over half the time. Music is better, physics are much better (although I'd like rolling to still be improved on), and the story/visuals are the greatest improvements of them all.

The difficulty curve though... the fourth zone boss (and the final boss), and the later special stages... UUURRRGGGHHHHHHHH

• Thumbs Up 2

So apparently, if you play Episode 1 as Sonic (the version that we've had since release) with the knowledge that Mad Gear was built to revive Metal, you can destroy Mad Gear before Metal gets revived and Episode 2 never happens. Like, the game just won't boot up. It's pretty crazy how SEGA was able to make the game do that sort of thing.

Whuh? How can you even do that?

Cool.

Hm... you know, it would be rather neat if, at the end of whatever episode they're planning on ending Sonic 4 with, it showed an epilogue where Eggman discovers the tablets pertaining to Chaos.

I've always wanted Sonic 4 to be the bridge between the Classic and Modern games, like it tries to explain why they're in Station Square and everything.

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't know about anything quite that specific (as in, actually showing Station Square... although that is getting more tempting the more I think about it), but I definitely would've enjoyed a few nods forward. One thing I was kind of hoping to see in Episode II was Neo Metal Sonic; not because I'm especially fond of the form, but just to make its appearance in Heroes a little less random. Maybe he could actually be, like, a boss battle this time.

Stellar review, Indigo.

If anyone's interested (probably not by this point), I'm going to write up a full spoilerific review of the game this evening, going into detail about the music, the differences between this an E1, each individual act, Episode Metal and of course the physics. Just cause, really. Some places the game really shines, and other places it's like they didn't pay attention to criticisms from E1.

quack QUACK, quack QUACK, quack quack QUACK quack QUACK quack

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

If anyone's interested (probably not by this point), I'm going to write up a full spoilerific review of the game this evening, going into detail about the music, the differences between this an E1, each individual act, Episode Metal and of course the physics. Just cause, really. Some places the game really shines, and other places it's like they didn't pay attention to criticisms from E1.

I'm looking forward to it.

One thing I was kind of hoping to see in Episode II was Neo Metal Sonic; not because I'm especially fond of the form, but just to make its appearance in Heroes a little less random. Maybe he could actually be, like, a boss battle this time.

Maybe it will be in Episode 3/4?

I don't know about anything quite that specific (as in, actually showing Station Square... although that is getting more tempting the more I think about it), but I definitely would've enjoyed a few nods forward. One thing I was kind of hoping to see in Episode II was Neo Metal Sonic; not because I'm especially fond of the form, but just to make its appearance in Heroes a little less random. Maybe he could actually be, like, a boss battle this time.

Neo Metal Sonic is the result of him gaining some of Chaos' abilities through Chocola (a Chao) and Froggy (who one had Chaos' tail). Making Neo appear in any game prior to the events of SA1 and Heroes wouldn't make sense.

I very well doubt Sonic 4 will link to Adventure, because then Sonic 5 can't come inbetween.

• Thumbs Up 1

Neo Metal Sonic is the result of him gaining some of Chaos' abilities through Chocola (a Chao) and Froggy (who one had Chaos' tail). Making Neo appear in any game prior to the events of SA1 and Heroes wouldn't make sense.

Ehh. I guess I forgot about that, but I don't think it'd be too far out of line to let logic slide a little for the sake of Neo getting to do something other than stand on poles and look fabulous. Or maybe it would; it's the kind of thing I'd probably love to whine about once somebody reminded me that it was a problem.

Anyway, uh... you could maybe have Metal show off his power-copying ability for the first time chronologically? At least that'd kind of help his powers in Heroes feel less completely outta nowhere. I have no idea how that could be plot-relevant or fit into gameplay, but I guess it'd be sort of cool. Uh.

Anyway, uh... you could maybe have Metal show off his power-copying ability for the first time chronologically? At least that'd kind of help his powers in Heroes feel less completely outta nowhere. I have no idea how that could be plot-relevant or fit into gameplay, but I guess it'd be sort of cool. Uh.

Neither of the current characters have anything worth copying though. He doesn't need Sonic's abilities, nor really Tails' flight (and without being able to morph his body, it would impossible to use anyway). If he and Knuckles are in Episode 3, maybe that would provide an opportunity. Unless Knuckles could dig this time though, his skills aren't really worth copying from a combat point of view.

EDIT: Although I suppose Metal could copy the Super transformation for Episode 3, as a nod to the Super Mecha battle from Sonic and Knuckles.

Edited by Lungo

So for those who have played it / watched previews...

Is it fair to say that this is a longer/more satisfying game than Episode I? From what I've seen, the levels are longer, there's more variety in gameplay between acts, the special stages are more difficult, etc. Would I be correct in assuming that instead of this being a 45 minute to an hour long game, it's more of an hour to an hour and a half? Maybe two hours? I hope I'm not getting my hopes up.

Is it fair to say that this is a longer/more satisfying game than Episode I? From what I've seen, the levels are longer, there's more variety in gameplay between acts, the special stages are more difficult, etc. Would I be correct in assuming that instead of this being a 45 minute to an hour long game, it's more of an hour to an hour and a half? Maybe two hours? I hope I'm not getting my hopes up.

It took me about 2 hours to finish it first time, though that's most due to the difficulty and length of the bosses. The stages themselves, while longer than Ep1's, wouldn't make a substantial difference.

Once you know what you're doing, (and if you do well on the bosses) you can beat the game in less than an hour fo' sho. Even without Super Sonic. (Most levels are beatable in less than 3 minutes once you've played them a couple of times).

Yeah, I would definitely say so. Most early Acts on ShadowofRuki's channel 3-4 minutes each, while it takes about 4-5 and a half minutes during the later ones. The first playthrough, not even counting special stages or Episode Metal, should take an hour at least. You've also got the Red Rings to go back and get if you're into the collecting aspect of the modern games. I absolutely love that the special stages seem so challenging as well. I miss the days where getting Super Sonic was a satisfying reward for your hard work on the special stages. You've also got Episode Metal to go through, which I'm really looking forward to beating first. Oh and don't forget about Co-op! I'm really excited to play through with some of my buddies. This game definitely has more bang for your buck.

"Remember: Attempting any part of this in real life is animal cruelty."

REALLY GUYS?! Nobody noticed this? xD

Beat it, hate it, not playing it again until I can dick around in the online co-op mode.

Back to Generations. ;)