Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

If people are still buying PS3s today or recently, then they only have themselves to blame. They had 6 years to purchase the PS3 and play its amazing games.

I'm keeping my PS3, so this wouldn't be an issue for me, but it will be sitting on the shelf along with my PS2. I haven't touched my (or my father's, but he doesn't want it anymore =p) PS2 for 3 years. Now I expect the same with the PS3 since I've played most of its games that it has to offer.

I don't care about backward compatibility. It will be a bonus of course, but I'll be too busy playing PS4 games to care about PS3 games.

Not being able to move PSN purchases over to the PS4 is going to make a difference to the public's perception of the console. People expect to be able to move their collections to the next generation of system they buy.

So much for those account-tied purchases being worth much in the long run.

Sony stock dropped after the conference, by the way. Not by much, mind. Japanese market was down to 1,8%, typical reveal procedure.

Stocks dropped, but apparently their status changed from "SELL" to "HOLD" [Source], which I guess is a positive for Sony on the whole, especially after the disasterous last 5 years for them in financial terms.

Not being able to move PSN purchases over to the PS4 is going to make a difference to the public's perception of the console. People expect to be able to move their collections to the next generation of system they buy.

Past is biting them in the ass. If they hadn't gone with the obtuse Cell, then this could have been mitigated. Though its a bit ridiculous to say it now, it shouldn't be a problem for the PS5, as that will likely use better x86 system architecture making BC much less fucking annoying.

Still, its a huge letdown. I means I'll still have to hold onto my PS3 for a little longer (not that I was going to dispose of it, it might be worth something in 50 years) and keep it around for when I want to play the odd game. Annoying.

Still, I hope between now and its launch, they work out a way. I still think that a "PSLegacy" peripheral which enables you to play classic games, would be the best thing Sony could possibly do in the long run (as long as its between $50-100, or free if you trade in your PS3). 

Edited by Scar

Is it disappointing that PS4 won't run PS3 physical games? I guess. But at least it sounds more secure for the future.

I  wouldn't hold my breath unless you want to win the Guinness book of World records for the person holding the longest breath dry.png

If people are still buying PS3s today or recently, then they only have themselves to blame. They had 6 years to purchase the PS3 and play its amazing games.

Er, there is a thing called a recession also some people have kids, medical bills, taxes, debts to pay.... wink.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Unrelated but, what's SSMB's general consensus on the graphics? Did they blow you away? Were you impressed or not?

I wasn't really blown away by the graphics. It didn't look like the huge leaps we had from PS1 to PS2 to PS3. It just looked like PS3 games at a slightly higher res.

The idea of going with a cell processor was an awful choice. Originally it was very hard to develop for which caused some games to stay 360 exclusive with the PS3 getting crap ports. It also caused the price of the PS3 to soar due to the expensive components. It really didn't pay off compared to going the 360 route. Funny thing is, a lot of people started realizing the uncertainty of backwards comparability before these console reveals.

In hindsight it was an awful choice, but at the time there was a very real chance that the CELL could have been the future of computing. It's not really Sony's fault that it ran into a brick wall in terms of efficiency a year or so after the system came out while x86 received massive boosts in the same thing, and it was a lot more powerful than any x86 architecture Sony could have put in it at the time.

And the 360 route was "take what IBM has developed so far for Sony and buy that," so that's hardly something Sony could have done.

Wow.

Completely ignoring the giant logical black hole that this statement represents in terms of the fact that new huge name PS360 games are still being released and will be throughout the end of the year, I'm pretty sure people bought the Wii in droves partially because it was the affordable one of the three; so try and keep this nonsense on the down low, 'kay?

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

I  wouldn't hold my breath unless you want to win the Guinness book of World records for the person holding the longest breath dry.png

Except its true. Now that Sony switched back to x86, they'll probably continue to use x86, so backwards compatability will never be an issue unless Sony decide to use a new proprietary system architecture for the PS5.

Except its true. Now that Sony switched back to x86, they'll probably continue to use x86, so backwards compatability will never be an issue unless Sony decide to use a new proprietary system architecture for the PS5.

You're probably right but I still won't say for certain, I look like a Donkey enough as it is. sleep.png

Er, there is a thing called a recession also some people have kids, medical bills, taxes, debts to pay.... ;)

Wow. Completely ignoring the giant logical black hole that this statement represents in terms of the fact that new huge name PS360 games are still being released and will be throughout the end of the year, I'm pretty sure people bought the Wii in droves partially because it was the affordable one of the three; so try and keep this nonsense on the down low, 'kay?

I know there is a recession going on, but if they found the money to get the PS3 then they should be able to find at least another $100 to get the PS4. Even if it could take 2 years to raise $100. And what loophole? Didn't Sony and Gaikai said that PS3 games will be streamable at some point? If you don't have fast internet then it could be a problem and if you are desperate to play PS3 games then get a PS3 and ignore the PS4 for a while. But if you have decent internet and you're new to PlayStation, then there is no loophole. Great PS3 titles will be available at some point on PS4, and you'll have the best of both worlds. And any new major announced PS3 game in E3 will most likely be on PS4 too.

I know there is a recession going on, but if they found the money to get the PS3 then they should be able to find at least another $100 to get the PS4. Even if it could take 2 years to raise $100.

I thought you said you were talking about people not having PS3's saying they should have by now and its their fault they can't afford it?huh.png

Where are you going to find $100? Under the couch? Wish I had £100 more floating around in my pocket I am sure everyone here would.

The fact is if people could afford a new console they would but some people can't. 

I thought you said you were talking about people not having PS3's saying they should have by now and its their fault they can't afford it?huh.png

Where are you going to find $100? Under the couch? Wish I had £100 more floating around in my pocket I am sure everyone here would.

The fact is if people could afford a new console they would but some people can't. 

If you are going by that, then where did they find the money to get the PS3 in the first place? If they raised enough money to buy a PS3, then surely they can continue to raise more money for the PS4. (And I mean, they shouldn't get the PS3). They would surely find the money in the next 1-4 years if they keep saving. And it's a better investment, because PS4 is going to be around for a longgggg time and has a ton more features that a PS3 could ever dream of.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

You can find a cheap PS3 with a huge, cheap backlog for under £200 these days.

PS4, with the accumulated costs of manufacturing and parts will very, very doubtfully be lower than $450. Factor in that you're going to have to have an insanely good internet with high bandwidth caps to stream all those PS3 games and you're easily looking at a very expensive affair which can easily turn up impractical if you're looking for a good deal to play PS3 games. The cloud is a highly exclusive feature, and streaming is still in it's days of infancy to be viable for everyone.

"If you had the money to buy a PS3" is a straw man fallacy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh goodness, I knew talking about backwards compatibility would bring about the silly "well you should have bought the console in the past!" nonsense. Like BW199148 said, there are far too many variables and everybody is in different situations. I don't doubt that younger folks have more disposable income, and multiple consoles isn't a problem (I was easily able to get a PS2, Xbox and Dreamcast in my teenage years). But then there are others who have expenses or are married and share an income or are jobless etc etc etcccc...

• Thumbs Up 1

If you are going by that, then where did they find the money to get the PS3 in the first place? If they raised enough money to buy a PS3, then surely they can continue to raise more money for the PS4. (And I mean, they shouldn't get the PS3). They would surely find the money in the next 1-4 years if they keep saving. And it's a better investment, because PS4 is going to be around for a longgggg time and has a ton more features that a PS3 could ever dream of.

I love how you like to pretend that you know the financial situation of the people who only recently bought a PS3 or 360.

You can find a cheap PS3 with a huge, cheap backlog for under £200 these days.

PS4, with the accumulated costs of manufacturing and parts will very, very doubtfully be lower than $450. Factor in that you're going to have to have an insanely good internet with high bandwidth caps to stream all those PS3 games and you're easily looking at a very expensive affair which can easily turn up impractical if you're looking for a good deal to play PS3 games. The cloud is a highly exclusive feature, and streaming is still in it's days of infancy to be viable for everyone.

"If you had the money to buy a PS3" is a straw man fallacy.

I love how you like to pretend that you know the financial situation of the people who only recently bought a PS3 or 360.

Oh goodness, I knew talking about backwards compatibility would bring about the silly "well you should have bought the console in the past!" nonsense. Like BW199148 said, there are far too many variables and everybody is in different situations. I don't doubt that younger folks have more disposable income, and multiple consoles isn't a problem (I was easily able to get a PS2, Xbox and Dreamcast in my teenage years). But then there are others who have expenses or are married and share an income or are jobless etc etc etcccc...

....then why are you guys complaining about backwards compatibility if they can't afford a PS4 in the first place? -.- Edited by Ming Ming Shana

....then why are you guys complaining about backwards compatibility if they can't afford a PS4 in the first place? -.-

You were the one who said:

Your entire argument hinges on the fact that you feel you have any justification to dictate blame for why they might have bought a system when they did. Which you don't.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'll admit, I was only able to afford a current gen machine because I won $300 from a slot machine. I went to the store, saw both the PS3 and 360, went for the 360 because it was within the $300 range and it left me with money to buy a few games. I'm pretty sure every other person's reasons are different when it comes to why they chose the console they did or why they couldn't afford to. 

....then why are you guys complaining about backwards compatibility if they can't afford a PS4 in the first place? -.-

I wasn't aware that we all shared our current financial situations? I know I never said I couldn't afford a PS4. What I did imply, however, was that without BC, those who didn't go the PS3 route either have to buy two consoles at once, or choose one or the other. I was just laying out how lack of BC leads to more problems for some consumers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Your entire argument hinges on the fact that you have any justification to dictate blame for why they might have bought a system when they did. Which you don't.

I shouldn't have said that then. =/ I stupidly wasn't thinking of the poor when I made that post, because they should use whatever money they have on bigger priorities...

I wasn't aware that we all shared our current financial situations? I know I never said I couldn't afford a PS4. What I did imply, however, was that without BC, those who didn't go the PS3 route either have to buy two consoles at once, or choose one or the other. I was just laying out how lack of BC leads to more problems for some consumers.

No, the people who are not very poor financially don't have to buy two consoles at once (and if the poor were able to, then they are not poor financially lol). If they have decent internet, they should only get the PS4 and wait for PS3 games to come live via Gaikai.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

You're talking about PS4's ability to someday play every PS3 game as if it is assured to happen soon, and consumers should put all their trust in Sony. Hey, if that works for you, that works for you. But now you're pretty much ignoring every other person's opinion and situation and assuming that there is only one perfect option and that option is yours. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

You're talking about PS4's ability to someday play every PS3 game as if it is assured to happen soon, and consumers should put all their trust in Sony. Hey, if that works for you, that works for you. But now you're pretty much ignoring every other person's opinion and situation and assuming that there is only one perfect option and that option is yours. tongue.png

I'm not assuming every PS3 title that would make it in the cloud, but the greatest blockbuster games would definitely make an appearance. Unless you are a person who loves cash-in games. And if you don't trust Sony, then why would you get a Sony console. =/

PS4 IMAGE LEAKED!

PS4_concept5.jpeg

Considering that the PS3 could grill meat,

this is only the logical way to make the PS4 do everything even better

than the PS3 did. Reportedly starting at five hundred and ninety-four US dollars.

HAH! I told you so!

Anyway, regarding the console features and the controller I liked what I saw. I guess I was lucky I had to go to bed halfway in, it seems I didn't miss much in terms of the showcased games (though the Killzone demo looked very nice, and I'm rather glad that Knack is a 3D platformer, not very many of them these days). Though I am rather interested in seeing MM's Move tech demo display (speaking of which, hopefully Sony gives the PS Move some more love this time around). Sony has my attention, can't wait to hear more.

Not bothered by the fact that they didn't reveal the console/price/release date at all, leave all of that for E3, need to save some of the hype.

Edited by Gabe the Grinch

Sony revealed that its new console ships with 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, not the 4GB we previously reported. It was a pleasant surprise not just for us, but also for many game developers out there working on PS4 titles now and completely unaware of the upgrade - a final flourish to the design seemingly added in at the last moment to make PlayStation 4 the most technologically advanced games console of the next gaming era.

Read: games were being tailored for ~4GB. Expect upgrades.

dun dun dunnnnn

I'm not assuming every PS3 title that would make it in the cloud, but the greatest blockbuster games would definitely make an appearance. Unless you are a person who loves cash-in games. And if you don't trust Sony, then why would you get a Sony console. =/

Ming I think he means whole heartedly trust in Sony.wink.png

If the PS4 is released at the end of December 2013 (which will no doubt mean a delayed-2014 spring release in Europe), then I see no point in getting a PS4 until the end of 2014/start of 2015.

I say this because the PS3 had quite a few issues when it was launched, i.e. the console not working properly. The PS3 had a lack of decent games at launch and it took a while before the games released were real top notch quality. That's why I waited over a year to get the PS3 after it was launched.

For the PS4, I will want to play old games on the system. So I may as well wait until Cloud gaming is made available. That could be anytime. 

So I will gladly keep my PS3. I like that system too much to get rid of it. The same goes for my PS2. 

Edited by -Bender-