Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

Considering the new bells and whistles that the DS4 has over the DS3, this is to be expected.

EDIT: Also the recently-revealed fact that the PS4 won't be backwards-compatible with the PS3.

Edited by Gabe the Grinch

Eh, what are you gonna do. It was kind of surprising the PS2 even allowed you to use an original PlayStation pad or DualShock 1.

It helps that the PS2 had (full?) backwards compatibility with the PS1.

Considering the new bells and whistles that the DS4 has over the DS3, this is to be expected.

So? They should still work if the developers are willing to make games using traditional controls.

Wii U for example supports Wii Remote, Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuks, Classic Controller Pro, etc. Even with a system that is selling based off a touch controller it still supports the legacy controllers.

One thing I hate about controllers is how they're expensive. If I have two PS3 controllers laying around, that means I could effectively have multiplayer from the start! Without that extra $100 to buy controllers, it will be a lonely experience.

I totally understand why it can't handle PS3 games, but PS3 controllers? Especially for games that you know, use traditional controls like ports? I also don't think that touch pad will be used much outside of gimmicks. "It can't play PS3 games" is a bad excuse in my opinion. It almost functions exactly the same as a PS4 controller so why not?

Wait a minute... I thought Sony said they're trying to get PS3 games via other means? Wouldn't it eventually play PS3 games (streaming maybe)?

By the way, backwards compatibility IS a selling point. If a $599 (not a joke) console comes out, people would be more entitled to buy it if it means they get access to the PS3 library. You know how sad people were when the DS got rid of gameboy and the Wii U/Wii Family Model got rid of Gamecube? Well, I guess Wii U is a little more understandable for Gamecube but the point still stands. Unfortunately, people will have to deal with it.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great pro backwards compatibility argument from NeoGAF: Because wives don't like 13 consoles in the living room.

This is so f-ing true, lol

• Thumbs Up 5

By the way, backwards compatibility IS a selling point. If a $599 (not a joke) console comes out, people would be more entitled to buy it if it means they get access to the PS3 library.

*points at launch PS3*

And the PS2 library is stronger than the PS3 library.

Well the no compatibility is pretty annoying. As someone that has 30+ physical PS3 games, I was hoping it'd transfer over. I mean I guess I should've saw it coming, but it's a real bummer. I guess that means I'll just have to make more room on my shelf for another console lawl. Just sucks that digital games are in the same boat. It'd be super awesome if Sony had a system connected to your PSN account that if you already own a digital game they port later on, then you could get it for free or reduced at least. Highly doubt it though.

Oh, Playstation Vita.

-Little to no new game announcements for this year.

-Price drop that Japan received won't be coming to the states or Europe.

-"Bonus Edition" bundle that included the 3G/Wifi model, a screen protector, a stand, AND a 32GB memory card for $250 US Equivilant won't be leaving Japan, either.

-Reports of digital versions of games actually starting to be priced higher than their retail counterparts.

-Relegated to accessory status at the 2013 Playstation Event.

*And as a personal opinion, that ugly mura issue with the screen coupled with terrible battery life isn't helping the situation at all.

Goodnight, sweet prince.
Edited by Cyalume

AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAA HAH HA Ho Ho Ho...

Diablo 3 fans react to PS4 version... they're not happy... they have sad faces.

Why have I linked to Kotaku? Well... the topic got amazingly long, then people who are not on the Diablo 3 forums found out about it... came into the topic to laugh... so it got locked... then when their forums had people flocking to look at the topic and laugh... it got deleted.

Amazing.

Oh hang on, another one has started.

Goodnight, sweet prince

Oh look, another Vita is doomed post.

live0618.jpg

Sumo Digital are making a PS4 game.

Also, after the conference a 'full list' of studios making PS4 games was handed to jurno's it's... quite massive.

This list is really weird, there's too many companies. Besides Sumo and Dimps the one company that I thought it was weird seeing there is Falcom - they are only developing portable games these days (the Trails On The Sky games for the PS3 are only ports).

If everybody on this list is really making true PS4 games right now then the software library will be truly impressive.

Diablo 3 was an awful affair, and that Sony are touting this as a selling point little under a year since it's release is absolutely laughable. I say let them have it. It's not a big loss.

Go well in hand with those Nintendo is doomed posts, don't you think?

This list is really weird, there's too many companies. Besides Sumo and Dimps the one company that I thought it was weird seeing there is Falcom - they are only developing portable games these days (the Trails On The Sky games for the PS3 are only ports).

If everybody on this list is really making true PS4 games right now then the software library will be truly impressive.

The infamous 3DS and Vita lists comes to mind when they show things like these, and they mean jack shit. It just basically means "these guys have our consoles and can do things with them".

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't take any pride in damning the Vita. Rather, I'm frustrated that its not doing better than it is.  I expected a big Vita announcement, and I didn't get one. I really like the system's concept, but hard numbers cement the fact that its struggling right now. I'd owned one myself, and I desperately looked for things to do on it. I couldn't find many decent games, and I didn't have $100 to throw at a decent sized memory card to even possibly make use of the thing as a portable media player until the good content arrived. 

The Vita is doomed at the moment.  Any argument to the contrary is looking at things through rose-colored glasses. I want the Vita to succeed, because its an amazing system. It's OLED display is brilliant, and it has more than enough power to satisfy me.  But as it currently stands, its headed down the road to nowhere.

Edited by Cyalume

I expected a big Vita announcement

...at the PS4-specific reveal event? The one that wasn't meant for anything else than PS4? The one that didn't even feature its immediate predecessor, the PS3? The one where they said they'd focus on the Vita in a different event later this year (E3)?

gooby pls

• Thumbs Up 2

...at the PS4-specific reveal event? The one that wasn't meant for anything else than PS4? The one that didn't even feature its immediate predecessor, the PS3? The one where they said they'd focus on the Vita in a different event later this year (E3)?

gooby pls

It's not unrealistic. In case you were unaware, Japan had a Vita announcement of its own a couple of days prior announcing new bundles, colors, pricing, and more. To say that many expected similar announcements at an event that was vaguely branded as a reveal for "The future of Playstation" and not "The future of Playstation 4" isn't a unbelievable idea.

Edited by Cyalume

To be fair there really wasn't any reason not to show Vita more on the conference. It was never touted as a PS4 conference, it was a "Playstation" conference about "the future" of the brand.

At a private event like that, with 1200 people in an audience and an entire gaming world watching, the spotlight couldn't have been any better for Sony to spend at least 20 minutes pushing some of it's features into prominence if they were actually serious about going on the offensive. It was a rather wasted opportunity.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's not unrealistic. In case you were unaware, Japan had a Vita announcement of its own a couple of days prior announcing new bundles, colors, pricing, and more. To say that many expected similar announcements at an event that was vaguely branded as a reveal for "The future of Playstation" and not "The future of Playstation 4" isn't a unbelievable idea.

He was aware....

And for the last time, the meeting was suppose to be for the PS4, nothing else. If you want Vita stuff, wait until E3. Vita isn't doomed yet.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

He was aware....

And for the last time, the meeting was suppose to be for the PS4, nothing else. If you want Vita stuff, wait until E3. Vita isn't doomed yet.

I'm sorry that you feel that way, but I disagree. 

I'll also note here that the event did cover other products and services aside the PS4, such as the Playstation Mobile service, and even the Vita itself.  This was not merely a spectacle for the PS4;  It was a widely advertised PR statement for the philosophy behind all of its products, and the Playstation 4 is the one that will be driving that forward.

There was no statement anywhere that this was a Playstation 4 centric event. This event was "The future of playstation". The official Playstation website reiterates this, and theres even a short history of the PSP in one of the videos for the conference on the event's page. It received the most attention, but theres a reason that services took a front seat to gameplay and even the reveal of the console itself. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is, no. No, I don't think that I was wrong for expecting information on a platform that is in need of a boost right now. It does need some help, and they wasted the opprotunity.

To be fair there really wasn't any reason not to show Vita more on the conference. It was never touted as a PS4 conference, it was a "Playstation" conference about "the future" of the brand.

At a private event like that, with 1200 people in an audience and an entire gaming world watching, the spotlight couldn't have been any better for Sony to spend at least 20 minutes pushing some of it's features into prominence if they were actually serious about going on the offensive. It was a rather wasted opportunity.

It was a PS4 conference, period. They couldn't outright say it without revealing the final system name. Hence, "the future" = the successor.

And I'm sorry, but showing Vita (or PS3 or anything else) here would have been a bad idea. Show too little and you'd get the same "they don't care" response after it's immediately buried by PS4 news. Show too much and everyone will complain they're wasting time on this when they got a new console to unveil.

I said it before the event: right now they're going to strike hard and get the PS4 ball rolling for a good generation start. Home consoles are their bread and butter. We'll get Vita stuff at E3 - with some surprising announcements, even. And the pricedrop to accompany them (plus a PS3 drop too leading into Fall).

The Vita isn't "The Future of PlayStation". The Vita has already been released, and is currently "The Present of PlayStation" along with the PS3.

EDIT: Also, read Dobker's above.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

It was a PS4 conference, period. They couldn't outright say it without revealing the final system name. Hence, "the future" = the successor.

And I'm sorry, but showing Vita (or PS3 or anything else) here would have been a bad idea. Show too little and you'd get the same "they don't care" response after it's immediately buried by PS4 news. Show too much and everyone will complain they're wasting time on this when they got a new console to unveil.

I said it before the event: right now they're going to strike hard and get the PS4 ball rolling for a good generation start. Home consoles are their bread and butter. We'll get Vita stuff at E3 - with some surprising announcements, even. And the pricedrop to accompany them (plus a PS3 drop too leading into Fall).

By this logic I don't see how it's going to make a difference to show it at E3 either other than continuously sitting on a platform on life support with people still wanting to know more about PS4, and that's where all the attention will be regardless. In other words, the console is damned if it does, damned if it doesn't.

• Thumbs Up 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irBPxViC3Lg

Skip to 6:00 and watch to the end.

If anyone still doesn't think FF13 has destroyed Final Fantasy as a brand... just watch...

"I would like to announce we are 'preparing' a new Final Fantasy title."

No, I don't mean the fact he admits it's not started (course you really need to pay attention to realise that). I mean just watch... and listen... to how there is absolutely no reaction....

Theres nothing. No cheers, no applause, No gasp, not even a random one person saying 'what!?' theres nothing. It's that bad. The company, the brand, it's that bad, just nobody cares anymore. When does he get cheers? When it becomes obvious he's about to leave the stage. He even pauses briefly as if he's expecting applause before saying 'Thank you so much' and then people realise he's off.

Compare it to this from 2009.

The difference is incredible. Way to go Square Enix.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's amazing how much Square is crashing and burning, and depressing. I used to love them and FF so much, but they've made such a fool out of themselves in the past few years alone. I expect Sony called them to that conference because S-E have always played a huge part in PlayStation console hype.. but not anymore.

Square continue to shoot themselves in the foot.