Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

PS3 sales were abysmal because of 599 US Dollars. Popularity and sales skyrocketed after the drop to $299. 

Vita sales are awful (even though it's very reasonably priced...?), and people are demanding a price drop. Sony said that they're going to drop the price, expecting sales to go up after they do this.

Yes, I'm sure they're going to make it insanely expensive. Because Sony's just that dumb.

You do realize that they just did that with the Vita, though not in particularly the system but, in ridiculous memory cards and other such cash scams. They're not going to be able to drop the price as low as people are hoping, they'll never make the money back if they do. It's not a charity.

PS3 sales were abysmal because of 599 US Dollars. Popularity and sales skyrocketed after the drop to $299. 

Vita sales are awful (even though it's very reasonably priced...?), and people are demanding a price drop. Sony said that they're going to drop the price, expecting sales to go up after they do this.

Yes, I'm sure they're going to make it insanely expensive. Because Sony's just that dumb.

We'll have to see. That RAM change is bonkers, at the moment nothing on the market can touch it. Not even ultra high end PC parts.

Their GPU is powerful but reasonable and the CPU is probably dirt cheap tho. Depending on the deals they got and how much they're willing to lose we can still get fair pricepoints, but we'll see. 

If this ends up at ~$400 I hope it's an astounding success because the machine totally deserves it.

One advantage the next Xbox might have is that it'll have DirectX11 (it is a Microsoft exclusive program after all). If you don't know what DirectX11 is, then watch this to see what it can do:

In layman's terms, DirectX is a just set of APIs / features for game development. Everything DX does can be equally replicated on the free equivalent: OpenGL - customized versions of such to be found on Sony and Nintendo hardware. In fact, most nVidia cards (which right now have the upper hand in teh graphics) work better with OpenGL instructions.

Microsoft will have the better tools for developing, that's for sure (software is their bread and butter), but DX features have little to do with it.

edited for clarification, i'm making little sense this late

Edited by Dobkeratops

Yeah, I don't really see how DirectX 11 is relevant other than being a development tool, and in this case just a different one that Sony and Nintendo use.

I'm curious, how will Sony react to a scenario like this:

"Wow! Streaming PS1, PS2, and PS3 games? This grea---God dammit! I just hit my internet cap!"

I know I'm sounding pessimistic here, but some of us live in places where we either have shit internet or allowed to be screwed over by our ISPs as much as possible.

On a lighter note, 8 GB GDDR5? Damn! They aren't fooling around when it comes to the graphics!

Edited by Kevin
  • Thumbs Up 2

I still don't really get the GDDR 5 thing, it seems entirely pointless and will only jack up the price. It would have been fine with 3, especially since it's 8 damn GB. It's a console, not a super computer.

I still don't really get the GDDR 5 thing, it seems entirely pointless and will only jack up the price. It would have been fine with 3, especially since it's 8 damn GB. It's a console, not a super computer.

Yeah, considering what the rest of the machine is composed of, it seems very pointless to me as well.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the PS3's use as a... thing. You know, that something At Home scientific project which combined many PS3s worldwide to perform calculations to speed up research into Cancer treatment or DNA analysis or something. Maybe they have enough projects like that waiting in the wings to necessitate that hardware upgrade?

Well, probably not, but still, maybe...

consoles do a lot of graphics stuff. Having so much speedy ram is a definite plus

I'm not really shocked considering this thing is built to last for roughly seven years. I'd be disappointed if all we got was outdated tech.

Edit: Forgot why I opened this topic. Here -

PS4 doesn't block used games.

Edited by Discoid
  • Thumbs Up 9

The conference is a series of boring people, with empty eyes and in the same clothes that list something in a dull voice and poor english. Their faces are also nearly identical, and the attempts to captivate the audience look annoying and pathetic.

2007 conferences are superior compared to this.

What the fuck are they doing with industry...

Edited by crystallize

Y'know, I have to wonder...next-gen games are going to be bloody expensive! Wii U games here in the UK cost £49.99 for a brand new game, so I'm guessing that we'll have to pay at least £59.99 per game!

I really hope not that price isn't real if it is what a joke.sleep.png

Having just woke up and collecting my thoughts I hope this thing still plays discs and physical gaming is still an option. I am still not keen on Downloading my games. If that's how is going to be then I hope it has a huge hard drive because I don't want to be paying for a cloud service on top of games costing £60 a pop. Also not every has access to the fastest broadband speeds.

Well Sony confirmed that you can still play used games on the PS4, so by them saying that also confirms that there still be retail discs.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit worried too. While Steam seems to keep down prices ($49.99 for a new game, 10% off for most preorders = $44.99) while home consoles get more and more expensive. 3DS brought it up to $40, PS360 brought it up to $60, will PS420 (lol) bring it to $70?

Edit: Did they announce anything regarding BC?

Edited by Autosaver

Do most titles get a knock down in price like 3 weeks after release anyway?

Only if its a Sonic title.

I mean, most titles seem to stick to a $60 price tag for at least a couple months. Then you start seeing more sales. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo titles like to stick to full price tags for a LONG time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well Sony confirmed that you can still play used games on the PS4, so by them saying that also confirms that there still be retail discs

True but they still shaft you with on-line codes.sleep.png

Edited by BW199148

True but they still shaft you with on-line codes.sleep.png

I'll take online passes over always online requirements and used game blocking any day of the week.

On the topic of "expected, really" stuff I hope someone asks about region free-ness.

Only if its a Sonic title.

I mean, most titles seem to stick to a $60 price tag for at least a couple months. Then you start seeing more sales. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo titles like to stick to full price tags for a LONG time.

EA/Capcom games also drop like a fucking rock.

Edit: Did they announce anything regarding BC?

I'm not fully caught up on all the details yet, but BBC website briefly mentions this:

However, at the moment PS3 games will not run on the new console.

"The decision to not make the PlayStation 4 backwards compatible is disappointing and means the 5.5 million plus people who own a PS3 in the UK will essentially have to start their gaming collection from scratch," said Alex Simmons, UK editor-in-chief of the gaming site IGN.

"PlayStation 3 games - and indeed PSone and PS2 games - will be available to download at some point, but most likely at an additional cost, which might turn consumers off."

I'm glad the conference seemed to focus on games, as that should always be the most important thing. However, I can't say I'm particularly bothered about any of them at the moment. Strong-ish line-up I guess, with a decent mix of sequels and new IPs from proven developers, but...meh. Ask me again when we get close to release.

Edited by Covskin

IGN said that. There was no actual conformation that this is true unless I missed it? huh.png

If this true does that I would repurchase what I have already bought. It is not exactly inspiring consumer confidence is it? sleep.png

Edited by BW199148

Yeah at the conference itself Sony said the PS4 would not natively support backwards compatibility.

But they're working on ways of streaming them or downloading them as alternatives.

Edited by SuperLink

As tech progresses it's difficult to include backwards compatibility all the time. New systems are more advanced and to include backwards compatibility would mean having to include more chipsets etc, which generates extra heat even when not always in use because it still needs power, and takes up space which could be used for something new. It's also cheaper to not include it. Older consoles also use different OS. The 3DS and WiiU get away with it by essentially having the console work like an emulator in the case of the 3DS and because of similar hardware in the case of the WiiU, which switches into basically being a Wii so you can play old games. So, if the OS is more complex, as it often is in the case of Microsoft and Sony consoles, it's not that simple.

It's annoying for a lot of people because you've invested time and money into a console, only to have to potentially jack it in and do the same again with a new one. But, you don't have to throw out your old games and console. Plus, how many of us truly sit and play through old games? I still have my old consoles but I rarely play them. It doesn't bother me that the PS3 can't play my PS2 games, I still have a PS2 if I really want to play them. Surely most of us are aware that once you buy a game it's value plummets and over time it just gets worse so you're never going to get your money back unless it's a super rare copy.

It's annoying and inconvenient but understandable from the company's view. Why spend the time, money and space on something when they could use it to do something else that's potentially new and better? (and cheaper?) This has happened over and over again for years, why are we still surprised by it?

Edited by Mollfie
  • Thumbs Up 7

Yeah at the conference itself Sony said the PS4 would not natively support backwards compatibility.

But they're working on ways of streaming them or downloading them as alternatives.

*Head Desks*

So basically whatever I buy for the PS3 is now Redundant if I wanted a PS4?

Seriously what is the point? Buy a PS4 only for it be incompatible with its successor down the line.   

*Sighs* Well I won't be buying one straight away because I have only had my PS3 for two years. 

It sucks because I have no room for anything.sleep.png

Edited by BW199148

*Head Desks*   So basically whatever I buy for the PS3 is now Redundant if I wanted a PS4?   Seriously what is the point? Buy a PS4 only for it be incompatible with its successor down the line.      *Sighs* Well I won't be buying one straight away because I have only had my PS3 for two years.    It sucks because I have no room for anything.-_-
Well, you should of been expecting it because of the cell processor. At least there might be bc later on with gaikai. So, there's that at least.