Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

I see nothing in those quotes that suggests I made any statement regarding the quality of either game apart from the established reception of their currency systems.

Neither do I - because that's not the point. You've made several comments and comparisons outside the realm of your assertion which specified that you had only commented with regards to the original sarcastic comment, which is clearly incorrect and the posts I referenced clearly demonstrate you making comments and comparisons beyond simply acknowledging the existence of said sarcastic remark. 

It's not a matter of opinion that Forza drew a lot of controversy with it's handling of the system, not is it one that Gran Turismo 5 was acclaimed by critics and its fanbase. I'm merely stating facts.

Strawman. When did I even remotely imply that it was a matter of opinion on whether Forza is controversial or not? I didn't. At all. You may be stating some facts in this case, however, those facts, as I have already mentioned, are irrelevant with regards to the implementation of microtransactions and how well it is handled. It was unnecessary to bring it up the first time; now you're just being asinine.

But it is exactly the same in every other aspect, which is exactly the point I was making in the first place. I'm also now reading that the transactions aren't even available for purchase in game, either. 

Exactly, in every other respect. So you admit that there is a difference. That was all I was pursuing with regards to this particular discussion point. That, and the fact that I don't remember seeing an official declaration confirming that GT6 would be exactly the same as GT5 in every way but for the inclusion of microtransactions, which is arguably itself an issue, too. 

So yes, there is no evidence to suggest that it isn't exactly the same.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Even so, a lack of evidence supporting one theory does not in any way automatically validate the other, so I'm not sure why exactly you made this comment. I'm not necessarily stating that the game is going to be a departure, but I'm questioning the evidence supporting this idea you keep putting forth (without supporting with evidence, I might add) that GT6 will literally be identical to GT5, with the only difference being micro-transactions.

Fuck off.

You're in greater need of a break from this topic than I am, considering you seem so heavily invested in this discussion that you are clearly not enjoying, to the extent where you are completely misrepresenting my position, forgetting what we're discussing and what you've said, and splaying out into an unholy number of tangents irrelevant to my actual argument and the discussion time and time again, and all for what, exactly? Why are you continuing? You seem as if you're posting out of some compulsion rather than out of want to contribute something valuable to the discussion. Hence the E-pride comment.

Calm yourself, and think before you post again.

He needs a break? You're the one who came in here and started stirring shit up with Ad Hominems because he dared to talk about a fucking car simulator.

• Thumbs Up 6

He needs a break? You're the one who came in here and started stirring shit up with Ad Hominems because he dared to talk about a fucking car simulator.

Incorrect. An Ad Hominem is a logical fallacy created when one uses a personal characteristic of the target or an insult in place of an actual argument in order to discredit them. This wasn't the case. That which I've highlighted in bold represents a gross misunderstanding of the situation.

I'm perfectly calm, but apologise for any offence caused.

You're both arguing hypotheticals anyway, neither of you are strictly right or wrong at the moment.

I'm not overjoyed or that micro-transactions are part of the game nor am I going to defend it, I'm just not going to entertain the idea that spending $200 is going to be some sort of requirement to enjoy the game.

Sony Liverpool is back from the dead, reincarnated as Firesprite.

When Sony-owned BigBig Studios closed-up shop shortly after its last game – PS Vita’s Little Deviants – was released, it created a minor tremor in the PlayStation ecosystem. Zipper Interactive was the next casualty several months later, and PlayStation gamers were shocked.

An even bigger shock came when, several months after BigBig and Zipper went bust, Sony Liverpool did too. Founded in 1984 and originally called Psygnosis, Sony Liverpool – more often called Studio Liverpool – was Sony’s oldest and most-established first party developer.

When Sony acquired Psygnosis in 1993, the studio was already responsible for major titles like Shadow of the Beast (which is making a comeback on PS4 via developer Heavy Spectrum). Following the acquisition, Psygnosis (rebranded Sony Liverpool in 2001) created hit after hit. Franchises ranging from F1 and G-Police to Colony Wars and WipEout were their many calling cards.

Today, IGN can confirm that the spirit of Sony Liverpool has officially returned, and it’s done so in the form of Firesprite, a studio made of remnants from the defunct studio. The team’s first project together was helping a still-functioning Sony-owned developer – Studio Japan – with the bundled-in PlayStation 4 game The Playroom.

firespriteLogo_WHITE-610x343.jpg

“[Firesprite] came about organically, but we all had a shared vision,” the new studio’s Managing Director, Graeme Ankers, told IGN. “The founding team met up socially after Studio Liverpool and we talked about all the things we had achieved over the years, the platform launches, the variety of games, going back to [the] Psygnosis days and through to F1 and WipEout. We knew we wanted to carry on making great games.”

Indeed, the core leadership team at Firesprite – consisting of five people – helped create games for each and every piece of PlayStation hardware, from PlayStation, PlayStation 2, and PlayStation 3, to PSP and Vita. They have over 80 years of collective experience working on PlayStation titles.

With Studio Liverpool shuttered and some core members of the team still talking regularly with each other, they began meeting at one of their apartments, discussing what they wanted to do next. They began to figure things out and “moved quickly into getting an office and putting together the Firesprite team,” according to Ankers. “Over the years, we worked with some of the best games content creators and quickly built a team of 20 people, 15 of which had been on the journey with us through the years at Studio Liverpool. It’s an energetic mix of experience and new talent.”

firesprite1.jpg

Firesprite’s Art Director, Lee Carus, noted that the team is “very proud and honored to have been part of such an exciting project” like The Playroom, and the team is working on something new, starting with the engine and tools necessary to create their next game.

“We have been working hard on creating a new game engine and tool chain that allows us to put the creative power in the best hands – the artists and designers,” Firesprite’s Technical Director, Chris Roberts, said. “That puts us in a great position delivering the best experiences for players. It also allows us to get our games running on multiple platforms including mobile – so we can deliver platform specific features that make the best games.”

As for what that game is, Firesprite is mum. “Unfortunately, I can’t talk about the next game yet, [but] sometime soon I hope,” Ankers said. “We do love playing with new ideas and technology and have put a lot of work into building a game engine. We’re excited about the future. It’s a great time to be making games and it’s what we love.”

firesprite2.jpg

When asked if Firesprite can be counted on to make a PlayStation-exclusive, what with its experience slanting heavily towards PlayStation development, Ankers stressed that his team is independent, even with their solid Sony connections. “We do have a lot of experience on PlayStation platforms,” he admitted, “and it’s been fantastic being part of the journey on all of them.”

And would Firesprite ever want to go back to its old franchises with Sony’s permission? Say, a new Colony Wars or WipEout? “I don’t know where this journey is going to take us. Ultimately, we love these games, but the decision isn’t ours. WipEout is a special game. Its soul comes from Liverpool’s development history.”

We’ll have more on Firesprite’s upcoming game soon here on IGN.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/12/05/firesprite-sonys-studio-liverpool-lives-again

Rise from your grave...

tumblr_lxdwe0c1LM1r1w5ayo1_250.gif

And make Shenmue 3.

Thats great news. Liverpool studio made some cracking games, hell the first 1080p game running at 60fps on PS3 so early in it's life when some studios gave up on that milestone. Really looking forward to what they pump out on the PS4.

• Thumbs Up 4

Don't really know this studio but it sounds like their well liked, could someone elaborate on what they've done before now and who they were for me please?

Don't really know this studio but it sounds like their well liked, could someone elaborate on what they've done before now and who they were for me please?

I mainly know them because of the WipEout games, which were pretty excellent IMO.

So they could be releasing a new Move controller for the PS4? Cool, I guess. Maybe they'll bundle it with whatever Media Molecule are working on. I recall they were showing what the PS4 could do for Move at the system's unveiling. 

Now for Playstation Move Heroes 2! biggrin.png

In all seriousness... while I could rant about how much I hate the motion gimmick, I'll just skip that and ponder why companies don't hide their patents better. Is there no way to keep a patent design secret for at least a short period of time?

Also just saw the video where they lit up the Colosseum (if I'm not mistaken)? Sony sure seems to do a lot of these promo events... I was told they aren't a very profitable company, and I think I know why! That stuff must get expensive.

• 4 weeks later...

I've decided to put my PS4 purchase on hold until late this year at the earliest. There is really nothing drawing me to the system at the moment, not to mention there are bugs with the console.

I've decided to put my PS4 purchase on hold until late this year at the earliest. There is really nothing drawing me to the system at the moment, not to mention there are bugs with the console.

Aside from one rare occurence while trying to upload a screenshot, I haven't encountered any bugs in the PS4 OS at all. o_o

I had issues accessing the store at launch, but it's gotten much better over time and I don't know if it's still a problem.

I've only heard like 3 reported cases of overheating.

Personally what's keeping me from buying one is long-term reliabillity. It has a reported lifespan of 5 years, and constant installs on a HDD from an outdated OOP SATA revision, as well mediocre storage space.

It's basically a Gaming PC without the wide hardware compatibility. Unless a Tales game comes to it, I have no reason to get one.