Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

I'd actually say this goes hand in hand with physics more than being a seperate point. For a NON-physics based platformer, Episode 1 had great level design.

Not really. You can have good physics and bad level design. They don't go hand in hand, although one does benefit the other. This isn't the topic for discussing that though :P

In other news, here's some E1 continuity. The trees still look really bad!

6887159505_968ca72520_z.jpg

Disclaimer, before anyone gets their knickers in a twist: Shut up, I'm joking.

Edited by HYDROCITEE

Well, the slightly washed out colours seem to be gone in these screens. The contrast is a lot higher and it benefits from it. That and the screenshots themselves are much, much sharper than the Xbox ones.

EDIT:

Some of the textures (like the trees) are very low-res and they're very polygon-y too. I take it that is to maximise framerate then....

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 2

Also, Envy said Concept Art Friday may be over, but it's not! From Kateburning on the SEGA Forums:

Tomorrow is still Concept Art Friday!

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?397776-Brand-new-screenshots-on-SEGA-blog

I'm guessing we'll get the humming bird Badnik. (Now dubbed Birdnik. By me)

Edited by Marcellove

...Or it could be that Sonic can actually, y'know, bounce from Bubble to Bubble in the chain. I mean hell, I think the Homing Attack will still be in, but the existence of Bubbles chains doesn't make it irrefutable.

• Thumbs Up 2

Is it just me, or does Tails look better than usual?

6887161961_462d11ee14_o.jpg

There's something about the model that just looks great.

On the other hand, that spring looks oddly connected.

That looks a hell of a lot like the Time Eater in the sky there...Cannot unsee.

See, I already said they were rehashing Generations story in the Woun topic :V

Wow, these screens look really great. Also water running.

Edited by Torcano Havoc

That looks a hell of a lot like the Time Eater in the sky there...Cannot unsee.

Be glad then that the clouds will be animated so you'll only have to see when looking at that screenshot. Totally get what you mean though. It's lol. :P

Is it just me, or does Tails look better than usual?

There's something about the model that just looks great.

On the other hand, that spring looks oddly connected.

It looks like his Classic model in that shot. It isn't, but it looks like it. And yeah, that spring looks odd. It should be behind any scenery. E1 has the same issue.

Edited by HYDROCITEE

There was a Bubbles chain, so homing attack is confirmed pretty much at this point I mean CMON guys

Or maybe they're promoting momentum physics by having Sonic bounce on them!

Edited by Groosenator032
  • Thumbs Up 5

I just noticed something...

Tails lost his tails!

Evidently they're trying to do that whole crazy floating tails that Tails had in the classics, where his tails would illogically stick out even when in a ball...Obviously with 3D graphics and Tails' model visible it looks pretty awkward.

I just noticed something...

Tails lost his tails!

Good eye. You bring up a good point actually. They've obviously gone for the classic Tails jump where his tails stick out of the end but it might look a bit odd when we can see Tails himself spinning around, rather than just a ball.

EDIT: Ninja'd like a boss.

Edited by ENVY

Evidently they're trying to do that whole crazy floating tails that Tails had in the classics, where his tails would illogically stick out even when in a ball...Obviously with 3D graphics and Tails' model visible it looks pretty awkward.

Looks awkward in screenshots, looks fine in motion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmcipQb6B9I.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think it's a modern Tails body with classic Tails tails.

Remember the Episode 2 teaser? How it used classic Tails tails?

SEGA being consistant? Whaaaaat?

I'd actually way prefer to have his tails spinning round with him. Obviously keep his shape circular, not sticking straight out, but yeah, having them whip round him at super speed would look cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's a modern Tails body with classic Tails tails.

Remember the Episode 2 teaser? How it used classic Tails tails?

SEGA being consistant? Whaaaaat?

Look at his tails more closely in the screenshot. They're modern tails on Modern Tails.

The only thing SEGA have kept consistent is paper-cut out trees.

Edited by HYDROCITEE

Speaking of Tails, do you think they'll give his super transformation the same treatment that they did in the original tirlogy? Assuming he actually gets one? Personally, I'd love to see the duo in their super forms at the same time during gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Two observations:

1)

6887159505_968ca72520_z.jpg

The scan looks similar to the previous avalanche picture we got.

s4ep25.jpg

Yet the time difference between the two is more than two minutes apart, and the background is slightly different. Seems like one of the acts will focus on the mountains in front of the amusement park, instead of the act transitioning to the park in the middle of the act.

2)

6887164943_351f9bec7e_o.jpg

1) Is that the same Eggman art from the 20th Anniversary character profiles?

2) I can't decide whether I should be happy that this act is ridiculously long that it takes 7 minutes to complete, or feel sad that the more likely explanation was that someone was messing around in the act for minutes at a time.

Look at his tails more closely in the screenshot. They're modern tails on Modern Tails.

The only thing SEGA have kept consistent is paper-cut out trees.

Don't forget the giant ring at the end of the level.

Just by studying the new 9 screenshots, the attention to detail is staggering. It looks gorgeous. Tails looks so cute. Super Tails is a must but I can't see the Super Emeralds returning until E3.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

I take back what I said about the color. These new screens make it look fantastic.

My cousin and I actually had an idea for a snow level with Eggman/Robotnik snowmen a long time ago.

Chillopolis_Zone.jpg

Edited by Mechanized Cube
  • Thumbs Up 1