Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

The entire reason this game was called Sonic 4 was to capitalize on shallow fanservice. If it fails to achieve the standard set by its title of all things, why should I lower my own standards?

I dunnooooo. 4 implies to me "this is the one that comes after Sonic 3 & Knuckles", not necessarily "this return to the gameplay seen in Sonic 3 & Knuckles". But it wasn't helped by dumb marketing and the fact that Episode 1, more than any other Sonic game that has old level homages, was so close to the original appearences of the levels.

Oil Desert is great, although the timing for you final attack is very unfair. The Sky Fortress boss however... no. No no no no no no no. It's bad.

I like it. =C

Nice to have some Tornado gameplay that's actually challenging.

My only gripe is how easy it is to die during the pinch mode attack, made worse since it's due to unexplained 2D platformer "if you get pushed off screen you become dead for no reason" trope.

Did anyone else think of Catherine during the Oil Desert Boss fight?

YES. Lol. It was when the spike and bomb blocks start showing up.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

Can anyone who has the game tell me if the title screen and menu screen music has been remixed?

Can anyone who has the game tell me if the title screen and menu screen music has been remixed?

Title screen is slightly remixed, menu I think is exactly the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy shit

The fucking Death Egg returns! Gravity gimmick and everything. Though it's a bit lacking, it's more of Eggstation zone, only more interesting.

And the Metal Sonic + Eggman fight is pretty damn cool. Two on Two Advance 2 style. Looks like it will be fun as hell t play with on Co-Op

Oh and I liked the cutscene before it.

Edited by Nintendoga

Title screen, map and end of act, yes. They use the E2 style, which is quite unvaried and nothing like the style of any of the classics.

Main menu, invincibility, and 1up all remain unchanged.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay credit where credit is due I thought that boss was pretty cool though could've used some more attacks. But sheesh that boss music has got to go.

Holy shit

Oh and I liked the cutscene before it.

Why? ;.;

Just kidding but that spoiler tag isn't working.

Edited by Tmsp

Why? ;.;

Just kidding but that spoiler tag isn't working.

It's not? Looks like it's working for me

Now it is.

Some minutes ago it wasn't, at least for me.

Oh yeah, lol I acccidently put [spoilers] instead of

the first time, you probably saw it before I realized my stupidity and fix'd it.

Sorry if ya saw the awesomeness.

My god, so far the bosses have only gotten better, and that Oil Desert boss is just so amazing. Though I do agree that it did seem to get a be a bit monotonous when all it does is drop crates, but who doesn't love a killer game of tetris?

Well thanks for goofing Sega. It just showed me what I knew all along. Episode 2 is just a pretty Episode 1 with mostly original content.

I've been watching the youtube videos. God the level design is just as predicted. Automation. Everywhere. You aren't even allowed to think for yourself. The music is as garbage as episode 1. The second act of the Oil Zone sounds like ducks rather than cats. Stage gimmicks seem stiff even for Episode 4. The flight gimmick with Tails especially. Super 69 makes you invincible even to spikes. I think it was jez saying Act 2 of White park will be a fan favorite...god no. All it has is the only roller coaster pretty of While Park just loaded with speedboosters, and a twinkle park mix. That's all it had going for it. The stage design is awful.

The only thing I give the game so far is that the stages are at least long and the bosses look great. That's it. It is more like an inverse Generations, where the levels were awesome and the bosses were shit.

So, just saw a gameplay video of Oil Desert Zone (bit late to the party), and I thought it looked awesome

That Death Egg Zone reference in ODZ is just fantasting

Either way, this game looks pretty damn good to me, as of now.

Well,that Oil Desert boss was actually pretty cool. Good to see we have at least one good boss in the game.

Well,that Oil Desert boss was actually pretty cool. Good to see we have at least one good boss in the game.

Wait, the boss that kinda looks like a mechanical Death Egg Robo with all of those green boxes and stuff?

Also forgot to mention how lifeless the end capsule is when you beat a boss. Those animals....my god. They just kind of waltz out like some undead horrors.

Oil Desert's boss reminds me of something out of CD, almost: not necessarily the most fun to play (although who knows, it might be), but still commendable for its sheer quirk. I don't really hate Sonic 4 or anything, but this is probably the first thing it's produced that I can point at and say "Yes, SEGA! More of this!"

Oil Desert's boss reminds me of something out of CD, almost: not necessarily the most fun to play (although who knows, it might be), but still commendable for its sheer quirk. I don't really hate Sonic 4 or anything, but this is probably the first thing it's produced that I can point at and say "Yes, SEGA! More of this!"

It's a fun boss. Like Jez said though, all the bosses are long. If you die you don't want to do it all again.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a fun boss. Like Jez said though, all the bosses are long. If you die you don't want to do it all again.

Tell me about it, Sky Fortress' Boss lost me 14 lives T_T

• Thumbs Up 1

You know why Sonic 4 as a fundamental concept would never be as good as Sonic 3 and Knuckles, or indeed any of its older bretheren?

Because Sonic 4 is deliberately trying to go backwards (and failing at it) to be more classic. However, the classics weren't trying to be more classic. They were merely being themselves, in fact they were doing all in their power to be as technically advanced as they could physically. They tried to make the music sound as real as possible with the soundfonts they were using.

Honestly, once the "classic style" music just fades into normality and you forget it's meant to sound classic, I actually found myself feeling far more like I was playing a modern Sonic platformer than a "backwards" one. Episode 2 feels more like Sonic Advance in terms of overall "style" than it does Episode 1, just to me.

• Thumbs Up 6

It looks pretty good now that ive seen everything worth seeing, it still could be much better, but no way in hell is it anywhere near a bad as some people are making it out to be, for duck's sake its Sonic 4, not goddamn Superman 64.

My opinion of ourse.

Honestly, once the "classic style" music just fades into normality and you forget it's meant to sound classic, I actually found myself feeling far more like I was playing a modern Sonic platformer than a "backwards" one. Episode 2 feels more like Sonic Advance in terms of overall "style" than it does Episode 1, just to me.

Oh no, don't get me wrong. I do think its an improvement. I don't doubt that's fun either, it may well be.

I'm just saying, they should have started with their own trajectory rather than slapping Sonic 4 onto the front.