Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

Oil Desert Act 1 seems to be the dullest stage so far. Not that the others bored me, just seems a bit lacking. The music seems kinda dull too.

I'm really having mixed feelings about this. Everything about it is a definite step-up from Episode 1, and I like some of the music, stage bits, and boss and enemy design choices. That said, merely being better than Episode 1 isn't that big of a deal as the rest of the design choices (read: typical Dimps tropes) really drag it down from being spectacular in its own right. It doesn't look like it's shaping up to be a bad game, but it's most definitely not a "OMG! must-have-shut-up-and take-my-money-now-SEGA!!!" game, either.

I'm sorry, but the Generations Metal Sonic was quite dull compared to Sonic 4's.

Metal Sonic spin dashes at you.*

Metal Sonic jumps at you.*

Metal Sonic shoots rays of electricity at you.*

Metal Sonic slams into the track and breaks it.*

The stage throws you into the foreground and background constantly.

Metal Sonic rapes Tails.*

*Attacks that are actually threatening and require precision to dodge.

I can agree the Classic being a badass and kicking Metal Sonic into oblivion was a much better conclusion. tongue.png

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 3

Good. I need to pay four times the price in order to have fun.

What an age we live in.

Yeah post some cheap games... that'll totally distract from the point that you're trying to compare a finished full 3D game to a Beta 8 game...

• Thumbs Up 3

Anyone else think the act order should've been different in WP, though? Act 3 > Act 1 > Act 2 > Boss would've made more sense to me.

I was actually just thinking the same thing. Going from Sylvania Castle's watery ruins to White Park's watery caves would have been a natural progression, then into the edges of the carnival, and finally onto the roller coaster where we fight the boss.

You're seriously the only reason I'm not completely writing the game off yet, bro. xD

As tolerable as it may be, I want the next game to be better. Either that or they stop calling it Sonic 4 because this isn't Sonic fucking 4 and never will be.

Oh don't worry. It's still a shitacular Sonic 4. It shouldn't have that title no matter which way anyone tries to twist it. On it's own mertis though, it's enjoyable. Looks pretty and the music works. Levels design is typical Dimps, executed in a manner that's fun. What really sucks is the bottomless pit endings. They're cheaper than anything in E1. Rest of the levels are really fun though.

Also Special Stage 7 is practically impossible! If Tails get's hit, you can kiss the Emerald goodbye. Not because he drops rings, but because he breaks the band I mentioned earlier. In order to get the 500 rings needed, you have to get the bonuses. You get bonuses by collecting every ring, an impossible feat without the band.

Yeah post some cheap games... that'll totally distract from the point that you're trying to compare a finished full 3D game to a Beta 8 game...

In fairness, this game is practically complete. As far as I can tell, all that's going to change from this build to the final one is bug fixing and polishing. Nothing screams beta or prototype at all.

Edited by Blue Blood

We're not fucking doing this again.

Episode 1's beta was shit and the final build was shit. I won't believe that someone on the development team randomly decided to make it not suck in Beta 9 and beyond until I see it myself.

• Thumbs Up 4

You're implying that the Beta game will completely differ to the full game.

As far as the things Dissident is comparing, the visuals, music, and gameplay are not going to change. The only major differences between this and the full game is the inclusion of bugs and some missing textures.

So I am apparently not going to ever turn off my computer or close Steam again. Okay.

I got all the Chaos Emeralds. As Blue Blood said, the seventh special stage is BRUTAL. Like... Episode 1 ain't got shit on this (though granted they're hard in different ways).

Anyway, I played through the entire game as Super Sonic and...

No changes. Final Boss is still the final boss, and the ending was exactly the same, except without Eggman traditionally mocking me after the credits. I guess if there is a hidden stage, it requires the Red Rings, but that's no guarantee, since the emeralds achievement also tells you to "defeat the final enemy".

He handles the same as in Ep 1 as far as I can tell. He can break through combo roll barriers, but not through the snowy segments on White Park. You still need to fly and swim with Tails at certain points, which disables Super Sonic. If you had dipped below 50 rings, tough luck!

Oh, incidentally I'm no longer earning achievements, so I guess they've gone with the rest of the game's playableness. I'm bracing myself for the game to not load up again but here's hoping.

Oh, for my own two cents on the bosses, the first one probably isn't as easy as you guys are all saying. Of course you'll never be able to judge for sure when you play because you spoiled the solution, but I did die on it once while I was still figuring out how to fly up and hit him successfully and consistently. In fact I died on all of the bosses quite a bit.

The second boss was pretty fun so screw y'all. I also love the fourth boss. The third boss is delightfully original but ruined by the Eggman boss music a bit. The pinch mode attack is really random and annoying too.

Edited by JezMM

Gee, there sure are a lot of Booster Pads in this game... eh, I'm still gonna at least try the trial out. Maybe it plays better than it looks?

We're not fucking doing this again.

Episode 1's beta was shit and the final build was shit. I won't believe that someone on the development team randomly decided to make it not suck in Beta 9 and beyond until I see it myself.

But you're the one thats doing it...

We get it, you don't like episode 2, but comparing Generations to it... seriously? Are we really at this state where we want to slag something off that we're going to bring in a finished 3D game are compare the visuals, the gameplay and everything else which people expect/demand to be better to a product which is pretty much a digital download title?

You are just complaining for the sake of it. For what you pay for and what you expect, Episode 2 doesn't look that bad and from what people say when they've played it, it doesn't play that bad either. But now that we're bringing in Sonic Generations and saying "Ah well it doesn't look as good as that!" No shit! It was the 20th anniversary title made by Sonic Team and not licensed out to a third party studio for a digital release only! I'm not surprised it looks better!

• Thumbs Up 4

More thoughts: Ken said that it's a beta, but only specified that any bugs present will be fixed for the final release. I don't see any reason to believe it will be drastically different in the final version, especially considering it's coming out in a few weeks at earliest. (As stated above) I must admit, the boss fight with Metal here looks more interesting than in Generations; Generations had the presentation, music, and overall atmosphere down, but I was disappointed with how...plodding, and easy it felt. I also really like the music in comparison to the rest of the game, but I felt like it was being "held back", sort of. The Egg SerpentLeaf isn't too bad of a boss by Sonic standards, but it could be more aggressive, since it's technically the 5th/6th zone boss.

Yes.

No. Don't call Sonic 4 deluded if you actually think Classic Sonic should've been in just because it's Sonic 4. The design doesn't matter at all and I much prefer Classic designs. It should be the Modern design, because it's the current design.

Glad you're enjoying this more than me, then.

OK, explain to me how this is more dull than Generations?

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 2

To be honest I haven't really encountered much in the way of bugs and glitches.

The only game breaker was on the special stages:

There are gimmicks where you pass through a gate and must collect awkwardly placed rings - grab them all and you get bonus rings - sorta like the switches that make spheres appear in Sonic Colours DS' special stages. Either way on one of sets of these on Special Stage 7, the final rings actually ALWAYS disappear due to you running out of time before you actually reach them.

Edited by JezMM

Oil Desert Act 2 seems more lively. That Worm is just damn ominous. Thought there is one bit that looks kinda dickish...

But you're the one thats doing it...

We get it, you don't like episode 2, but comparing Generations to it... seriously? Are we really at this state where we want to slag something off that we're going to bring in a finished 3D game are compare the visuals, the gameplay and everything else which people expect/demand to be better to a product which is pretty much a digital dowload title?

You are just complaining for the sake of it. Episode 2 doesn't look that bad and from what people say when they've played it, it doesn't play that bad either. But now that we're bringing in Sonic Generations and saying "Ah well it doesn't look as good as that!" No shit! It was the 20th anniversary title made by Sonic Team and not licensed out to a third party studio for a digital release only! I'm not surprised it looks better!

• Thumbs Up 2

Just watched the videos of Old Desert Acts 1 & 2. I absolutely love the music. It's so catchy. Even the level design looks pretty decent. 24 days until release. I am unbelieveably jealous now.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 - Oil Desert Act 2 - Now with dying ducks.

ducks > cats

• Thumbs Up 9

Hah, I'm loving Oil Desert act 2's music. So freaky and weird, it's like an electric type of music.

And Act 1's is cool too.

EDIT: I'm dying. 1:39 on Oil Desert 2's footage.

Game looks fun, but I'm still waiting for footage of the final boss

apparently, it has something to do with the Death Egg, and Sonic jumping around in the middle or something. Also you fight Metal Sonic in a race, sounds very epic, can't wait!

Edited by Nintendoga

Oil Desert Zone: Quack Mix is hilarious. As soon as someone made the comparison, I had to look it up...and I LOL'd.