Awoo.

Game (UK Retailer) Discussion

Patticus

Hey... whats wrong with this picture?

misleadinggame.jpg

Do you see whats wrong? Have a guess... the answer is in the spoiler.

Game are trying to sell pre-owned copies of Mass Effect 2 as Mass Effect 3 by putting them in the number 1 spot of the Chart shelf. Going as far as to cover up the 2 with the price sticker and place another sticker over the faces of the character who isn't in Mass Effect 3.

"You call it low, we call it business"

Not being an Xbox gamer, I thought it was pre-owned Battlefield 3 costing £35 PRE-OWNED!

lol that is a new copy. But thats the gag, it's been put with the 'new games.'

Hmmm... each time I try to post it on the GAME facebook page it seems to vanish...

• Thumbs Up 1

Err... it's an amusing thought but all their stickers go in the top right of games, whether it covers the title or not (see: every other box on the shelf in that picture). Mollfie confirmed this to me once when she worked there. Frankly it'd drive me crazy to have to do it.

The second sticker is a little odd though.

Edited by JezMM

hey, How much is Syndicate in GAME and Gamestation? its a new release so i'm not expecting it to have dropped by much.

hey, How much is Syndicate in GAME and Gamestation? its a new release so i'm not expecting it to have dropped by much.

Porbably cheaper to get it at a supermarket! wink.png

lol that is a new copy. But thats the gag, it's been put with the 'new games.'

My bad. Saw the "trade in" banner underneath and confused myself.

Syndicate is published by EA, so I doubt GAME are stocking it.

Based on this, try ShopTo.net. I just got a new copy of Arkham City from them for £21.85 and free first-class delivery.

EDIT - I'm really derping today.

Edited by Covskin

Syndicate is published by EA, so I doubt GAME are stocking it.

Based on this, try ShopTo.net. I just got a new copy of Arkham City from them for £21.85 and free first-class delivery.

well in the photo above Hogfather posted, why is it there next to Mass Effect 2?

shopto seems to be cheapest, its a great game but not worth more than £25 because of how short the main campaign is.

Game definately are stocking Syndicate, no idea how much for though, but they did have it in stock.

Oh and... Game are now removing any of the Mass Effect 2 images from their facebook page... lol try posting the image and see how long it lasts before it gets removed. If there was any suggestion this was nothing more than a mistake, think we can say it wasn't.

next time someone goes to GAME/Gamestation would you mind doing a price check on Syndicate please? thanks :)

next time someone goes to GAME/Gamestation would you mind doing a price check on Syndicate please? thanks smile.png

Look it up online! tongue.png

All price stickers have to go like that, regardless of what they might cover up. So they are not covering the title up on purpose, it has to go like that. It's standard.

But no, they shouldn't be putting pre-owned in the new chart unless it's beside the new version of the game or instead of that game if they only have it pre-owned for some reason. For example, that image is wrong. But if they put a pre-owned copy of Mass Effect 3 in the new chart beside new copies of the game then that would be fine.

Edited by Mollfie

I'll be honest, at a glance, I thought it was Mass Effect 3, so if I hadn't verified and bought it I'd be one fooled fool by the time I got home.

I'll be honest, at a glance, I thought it was Mass Effect 3, so if I hadn't verified and bought it I'd be one fooled fool by the time I got home.

I can understand that. I used to check with customers before putting a transaction through because when you consider how some franchises have lots of titles it's easy to pick up the wrong one. I would say something along the lines of "So that's Halo 3, Call of Duty World At War and Mass Effect 2, right?" just to make sure, especially if it was a 3DS game because I had lots of customer pick up DS versions when they wanted the 3DS one and vice versa because they just hadn't noticed.

It's why it's important to display stock clearly. I hated how we did the stickers because it is really confusing for some people, especially if you're not the one it's for or unfamiliar with the game, or just not paying attention. But it has to be uniform. Store layouts bothered me too sometimes, but you have to do it a certain way, you get charts showing you how everything has to look.

If we ran out of stock in our store we would just move everything in the chart up one or put some coming soon boxes back out.until the new stock arrived. Then it still looked nice and no one got confused.

I very much doubt this was a company decision but a manager who thought it was a good idea for some reason.

Edited by Mollfie

I can understand how the stickers have to be done on the boxes, but I still think it's done quite deviously, especially given the placement of the box in the number 1 slot. I doubt that the release of Mass Effect 3 has the masses (haw haw) rushing to GAME to buy the previous instalment somehow. Especially since they are pre-owned and the rest of that chart are new games.

Seeing things like that make me lose that little bit of respect for GAME.

I visited a couple of my local GAME stores yesterday. Then a slightly further away store and Gamestation today. I can't say there was much in the way of good deals though. I came away empty handed.

In some cases the prices were much the same as HMV.

Edited by Doctor Sοnic

I wandered past the GAME in town on Friday when I went into HMV to pick up Kid Icarus Uprising (which I could have bought in GAME instead if, y'know, they stocked the damn thing).

I have to say, I did find it hilarious how they were advertising the fact that they were going out of business with "hundreds of prices slashed" as a "Spring Clean" sale. Talk about putting a spin on things, eh!

And for the record, the "slashed" prices really aren't all that. GAME are being tightwads to the bitter end, it seems.

Is this just me or is HMV always expensive for games, especially when I go in. I always get better deals at Gamestation. The HMV nearest to me closed down. dry.png

Is this just me or is HMV always expensive for games, especially when I go in. I always get better deals at Gamestation. The HMV nearest to me closed down. dry.png

Ah, that's true. Sometimes they have some good stuff, but most of the time :/

And for the record, the "slashed" prices really aren't all that. GAME are being tightwads to the bitter end, it seems.
One could acquire Bulletstorm Epic Editions for £10, Halo: Reach Legendary Editions for £13, Warhammer: Space Marine for £7, and 320GB PS3s for £100 at the nearest store to me. There were many more offers, but those were the ones I was chiefly interested in. Unfortunately, and as expected, they sold like hot cakes and I failed to get my hands on any of the above games or systems. Edited by zI Maleficent

I like how people are saying 'YAY! Gamestop will buy it' if anything, they can be a tad worse when it comes to prices, oh yes their online stuff might appear to be cheaper at first. However, they don't offer free shipping on anything (last time I looked). This soon adds up quite quickly, not to mention their game prices tend to stay high for a long long time.