Awoo.

Game (UK Retailer) Discussion

Patticus

Best of luck to you, Bolt - I really hope something comes up for you soon, and I'm really sorry to hear how you found out about your job.

By the looks of that list, we've made a loss. Damn. Although, it's only the Gamestation and not the GAME as of yet; they only listed 30 High Street, and not 40 High Street.

Edited by Katzii

Sky News has posted a video where they talk with one of the administrators.

http://news.sky.com/...rticle/16196320

The first 30 seconds of that say it all.

"So what went wrong?"

"Erm... two reasons... yeah... erm... well... we expanded overseas... .. and erm... erm... we had a lot of stores in the UK..."

... ... ... With minds like this at the helm, how on earth did they fail?

I for one would have answered the question like this.

"Well... we were selling new games for £45, sometimes more, even though everyone else was selling them for £30... maybe less. Also our stores have the same bland look... except Gamestation which is a bit more cool. And we have far too many stores open in the same town, some on the same street. Oh and of course we bought more copies of Modern Warfare 2 and 3, Arkham City and LA Noire than there are people living in the UK."

• Thumbs Up 8

A couple more videos from ITV.

http://www.itv.com/n...-welsh-workers/

http://www.itv.com/n...nomic-slowdown/

The first 30 seconds of that say it all.

"So what went wrong?"

"Erm... two reasons... yeah... erm... well... we expanded overseas... .. and erm... erm... we had a lot of stores in the UK..."

... ... ... With minds like this at the helm, how on earth did they fail?

I for one would have answered the question like this.

"Well... we were selling new games for £45, sometimes more, even though everyone else was selling them for £30... maybe less. Also our stores have the same bland look... except Gamestation which is a bit more cool. And we have far too many stores open in the same town, some on the same street. Oh and of course we bought more copies of Modern Warfare 2 and 3, Arkham City and LA Noire than there are people living in the UK."

I find it crazy that it took administrators to sort out their problem with having too many stores. I hate the fact that people have lost jobs, but they did have too many stores within close proximity of each other.

I find it crazy that it took administrators to sort out their problem with having too many stores. I hate the fact that people have lost jobs, but they did have too many stores within close proximity of each other.

With the exception of maybe Starbucks and other fast foody type places.

Can you think of any other store chain that has as many units in close proximity to each other like Game/Gamestation did? I know when you go to capital cities like London you get a big cluster, especially with places like Starbucks and fast food places, but they're mainly doing business quickly to get people in and out asap.

But with stores that sell products where people take time to pick something, can you think of any other place that has stores all over like Game did?

• Thumbs Up 2

But with stores that sell products where people take time to pick something, can you think of any other place that has stores all over like Game did?

Nope. Their takeover of Gamestation, and subsequently having having more of what essentially became the same store can't have helped really.

We had three GAMEs in the same shopping centre up until last year... was still two until today. Was made even crazier by the fact that there was a Gamestation just up the road from the shopping centre, and another two GAMEs and a Gamestation not too far from that. Always did wonder what the point of it was.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thing is, even if they could have matched their OWN online prices, that would have been something.

As I said to someone - if I have the choice of either ordering online, having the game delivered to my door (most likely early), and paying less OR making time to go to town, paying to park, and then paying more for a game... What am I going to do?

I mean, I can give or take the day early thing, but the prices instore are ludicrous.

Irish GAME staff considering sit-in due to redundancy dispute

by Ben Parfitt

about 3 hours ago

Some staff from GAME's 13 Irish stores are reportedly considering a sit-in protest over unpaid redundancy.

Administrators PwC have told staff they will pay them their March wages but nothing beyond – including their April pay from their notice period and any redundancy compensation.

Instead, PwC has told staff to claim official state redundancy from the Government.

UPDATE: We are currently receiving reports that a sit-in is under way at one of GAME's Dublin stores.

http://www.mcvuk.com...-dispute/093375

I didn't understand what was so bad about GAME and Gamestation until I've read what you guys have to say, and I can say I'm not surprised they're closing down now. I mean, prices in the U.S. are pretty much locked but, it looks like the UK market allows for some competition. I don't see how the company expected to do well if they were selling all their games for 15 pounds more than ever other store. It doesn't help that they're as plentiful as Starbucks either.

It's rather eerie to know that I was in both GAMEs in my local area earlier today and now for one of those that will be the last time I ever step foot into the store.

Pics from the GAME Monaghan sit-in last night.

553468_3318791661401_1616564284_2753021_1933019472_n.jpg

524591_3318820422120_1616564284_2753023_1880202874_n.jpg

Today at 1.30pm we, at GAME Monaghan, were informed by our head office that our store where to cease trading immediately and to close up. At this moment we have been offered exactly zero by way of redundancy or compensation from the company and by way of protest our staff, in line with other stores in Ireland, are staging a sit-in protest.

Staff have mortgages/rent, loans and bills to pay. To be left empty handed after up to nine years of loyal service is completely unacceptable.

They're still in there this morning according to one of the staff's Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/HAIRYAZZA69

Day 2. Thanks for all of the support so far guys. As things go on we will keep the updates coming. We are overwhelmed at all the support that we have received.

The administrator came for the keys an hour ago and they're refusing to hand them over.

Just had an administrator at our door, ain't getting our keys! Its all official now!

It can't be helped that people are losing their jobs. It's awful, but nothing can be done about that now. Sorting out redundancy pay/compensation however should have been a priority planned right from the very start. There's no way thousands of people can lose their jobs with nothing more than a meagre "sorry" from the bosses and admins. Absolute bullshit right there.

• Thumbs Up 3

I just got back from the only remaining GAME in Hull... it was a tragic place. They had PS2 games on display... they're that low on stock! And this is the one which is remaining open! The PS3 section is practically gone (all what remains are copies of FF13-2), the Xbox 360/Wii section has gone also. Also what remains are tiny pre-owned shelfs full of games that are over-priced.

Disaster Day of Crisis. Bought this last week for 98p... today it can be yours... for £12.99... Absolutely crazy.

The door to the stock room was also open slightly, barely anything back there from what I could see.

Oh and naughty naughty, they still had a huge sign out front saying that they will pay store credit for Mass Effect 3 and Ashuras Wrath (as well as other games).

There's no way thousands of people can lose their jobs with nothing more than a meagre "sorry" from the bosses and admins. Absolute bullshit right there.

Actually... they can.

They're actually lucky to be getting their March pay to be fair, the administrators don't have to pay anyone their march salary if what I'm reading is right, they only have to pay them what they worked when the administrator was apointed (which was Monday).

If the company effectively has no money, it can't pay out tens of thousands of redundancy pay as well as outstanding holidays and then sort out anyone who has been on long term sick. Like anyone else who is owed money, they're classified as 'debters.' However... because GAME is actually still trading and running, this is where matters can change and you might have a case (although if the company is still alive by the time your case gets to court or if they'll even pay out is another question entirely), what the rules are in Ireland regarding redundancy, I wouldn't know that. Only going off what little I learnt about redundancy from the last place I worked at (payroll dept).

PwC "just needs a bit more time to push GAME deal over the line"

http://www.mcvuk.com...the-line/093417

IN PICTURES: Irish GAME sit-in

Staff staging a sit-in protest at GAME’s now closed Monaghan store have posted a number of pictures of their exploits on Facebook.

They are demanding compensation for both the lack of notice of their job termination and PwC’s advice that they should pursue the Government for redundancy compensation.

Staff member Ben Lamb O’Sullivan has been documenting the protest on Facebook.

“So, at half one today we received a phone call. At which point our store manager wrote this down and passed it to me. Was the first real insight we were given to our jobs from head office who gladly would have kept us in the dark.....”

“First night in store, a hugs thanks to all the support we have received, we are over whelmed and extremely grateful, please keep it up!”

“Just had an administrator at our door, ain't getting our keys! Its all official now!”

The pictures can be seen below.

UPDATE: VG247 reports that Irish TV is reporting of an additional sit-in in Cork.

GAME_protest_b.jpg

GAME_protest_c.jpg

GAME_protest_e.jpg

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/in-pictures-irish-game-sit-in/093419

The other 2 pics are ones I've already posted from that other guy's Facebook.

Actually... they can.

They're actually lucky to be getting their March pay to be fair, the administrators don't have to pay anyone their march salary if what I'm reading is right, they only have to pay them what they worked when the administrator was apointed (which was Monday).

If the company effectively has no money, it can't pay out tens of thousands of redundancy pay as well as outstanding holidays and then sort out anyone who has been on long term sick. Like anyone else who is owed money, they're classified as 'debters.' However... because GAME is actually still trading and running, this is where matters can change and you might have a case (although if the company is still alive by the time your case gets to court or if they'll even pay out is another question entirely), what the rules are in Ireland regarding redundancy, I wouldn't know that. Only going off what little I learnt about redundancy from the last place I worked at (payroll dept).

I was talking ethically, not legally. Fuck if I know how anything in the legal system works. tongue.png But it really is something that should have been considered and even if it's not possible it should have been conveyed much better than it has been now. I mean, the stores were literally trading until a random point during the day when they were told to close. Very little was formerly announced about GAME's state and what was going to happen come this week. Staff knew as much, or as little, as any numpty with the internet.

Edited by HYDROCITEE

Contributing to the talk that GAME had far, far too many stores, There was a time not long ago when GAME had 4 stores in Southampton, 5 if you count Gamestation as well and all in the city centre a mere short walk away from each other.

1 in West Quay shopping centre

1 in Bargate shopping centre

1 on East Street

1 in Debenhams

and Gamestation on Above Bar Street

They closed the Bargate and Debenhams stores a year ago and West Quay GAME and Gamestation closed yesterday. It's stuff like this that makes this crash an obvious outcome, it was just waiting to happen thanks to the terrible management. The more I read about this, the sadder is gets, really feel for all the staff.

On another note, I ordered Bayonetta for 99p last week on Gamestation's website. I thought I'd never see it, due to them taking the websites down and the general collapse of everything GAME-related...but I just got an e-mail saying it's been shipped out!

In short, if you've ordered anything that's yet to be shipped out, there's still a chance it will be!

On another note, I ordered Bayonetta for 99p last week on Gamestation's website. I thought I'd never see it, due to them taking the websites down and the general collapse of everything GAME-related...but I just got an e-mail saying it's been shipped out!

In short, if you've ordered anything that's yet to be shipped out, there's still a chance it will be!

You should feel bad for waiting for Bayonetta to go down to 99p. Platinum and SEGA deserve more for such a fantastic game. That said, it's bloody awesome that you got out of being a debter :P

• Thumbs Up 3

This will sound mean, but I don't really understand why they're protesting. If the company has no money, they can't pay you redundancy pay. According to a friend of mine who is still the manager of a Gamestation store if you get laid off like this you are entitled to NOTHING, but you can try and claim something through National Insurance, which can take a long time.

Another friend of mine, we used to work together, said that this is exactly why he's part of a union because when things go wrong there are people there who can advise him and help him fight his corner.

It's awful and I do understand their motivation behind it but I don't think they'll accomplish much.