Awoo.

The Ace Attorney Topic (DS, 3DS, iOS) - News in OP

Agent York

Personally, I didn't like Rise from the Ashes, and don't know why people hold it in such high regard. It felt like a cheap attempt to one-up the game's original ending, the characters aren't that memorable, and in terms of style I don't think it meshes that well.

Some of the plot points were dumb, too.

Gant invokes his right to not testify and it's made out to be a big privilege that HE has, but Adrian Andrews pleads the fifth in the next game.

I personally didn't like Rise from the Ashes that much either.  It starts off really slow and doesn't make much sense, but it picks up near the end because taking down the villain was glorious.

Gant: "You have that piece of evidence right?  The one that proves I'm right?"

Wright: "Nah, I don't think I have any evidence of that sort." 

Gant: "You don't have X?  But I personally cut it out and put it in my safe."  

Wright: "Oh you mean X?  Oh yes, I do have that actually, and you personally cut out X right?  That means you're the killer."  

Gant: "Oh yeah well but, you withheld that evidence from the court, so it doesn't count.  Shame shame Wrighto."  

Wright: "Fuck you because the rules say I need to present evidence that's relevant to the case, which it wasn't until you, the Chief of Police, made it so."

Boom.

• Thumbs Up 2

I loved Rise from the Ashes, primarily cause it was like a full AA game compressed to fit into a single case. And boy did it have some seriously great twists and turns. That and, the end of the case was the first real badass Phoenix moment. He wasn't flustered or anything. Didn't even need Maya/Mia's help. He had it all thought through and it was glorious how he smacked the culprit down right at the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I very much love Rise from the Ashes primarily for its particular moments rather than its place in the overall series. There are inconsistencies with established AA rules when you examine it carefully, and some people will argue that it greatly diminishes Edgeworth's character development. But the twists were fantastic, taking down the villain was just as satisfying as Von Karma, and Phoenix himself was a fucking badass. I also feel that it makes much more sense for Edgeworth to leave the prosector's office after this case rather than 1-4, the latter which made JFA feel like it was blatantly trying to override the first game's happy ending.

It has its problems but I have to give Capcom credit for trying their damndest to create a really suspensful, climatic self-contained case. And for the most part it worked for me. 2-4 still tops it in that department, of course.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I very much love Rise from the Ashes primarily for its particular moments rather than its place in the overall series. There are inconsistencies with established AA rules when you examine it carefully, and some people will argue that it greatly diminishes Edgeworth's character development. But the twists were fantastic, taking down the villain was just as satisfying as Von Karma, and Phoenix himself was a fucking badass. I also feel that it makes much more sense for Edgeworth to leave the prosector's office after this case rather than 1-4, the latter which made JFA feel like it was blatantly trying to override the first game's happy ending.

I do agree. Case 5 and the all of the shit Edgeworth went through, after going through the trauma of Case 4, create a compelling reason for his absence in JFA. As a standalone case, its probably better than any other case in the series....at least for me. Its probably one of the most challenging too. Really gets quite complex, and I love it for that.

It has its problems but I have to give Capcom credit for trying their damndest to create a really suspensful, climatic self-contained case. And for the most part it worked for me. 2-4 still tops it in that department, of course.

2-4 is fantastic. BIG twist. Really big twist and its handled so beautifully. Again, as a standalone case, it sits near the top for me. Still behind "Rise from the Ashes" for me.

Of course, when you take context into account, there isn't any topping 3-5. As a finale for the trilogy, its excellent. Without the context, the actions of the characters don't make much sense. 3-5 is made by the previous cases in the game, and is helped along by the story of the previous two games as well.

Standalone, its a fantastic case, but it loses its meaning and power.

Also

I noticed a parallel between Athena and Edgeworth in Case 5 of Dual Destinies, I wonder if anyone else picked up on it.....

They go through very similar things. One of their parents was murdered. Somebody else takes the fall. Memories of that past case are brought to the surface when they are charged with murder in the present. They accept their fate, only for Phoenix to do his thing and turn the whole case on its head.

Only difference this time, is that the Prosecutor is actually innocent. That and the person who takes the fall (which happens to be the prosecutor as well) for the past murder, does so willingly.

The similarities between Case 1-4 and Case 5-5 are so similar in fact I was surprised that Phoenix didn't reference it when Edgeworth was adamant of Athena's guilt...

I was fully expecting something like:

Edgeworth: "Wright! Stop this foolishness. Can't you see? Her guilt has been proven! And with it, we can put an end to this dark age of the law! Just accept her fate!"

Phoenix: "Edgeworth, I refuse to give up on Athena, just like I refused to give up on you....."

Edgeworth: "..."

Phoenix: "Don't you remember? When you had given up on yourself...when you were so clouded with doubt, you believed yourself to be guilty...I refused that day, to believe you were capable of murder and just like then, I refuse to believe Athena was capable of murder, today!"

And so on...(obviously with better writing too).

I dunno. It would have been a pretty great moment between two legendary Lawyers and two friends. Would have also added that little bit extra to the plot. Especially for fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was rather surprised that 5-5 didn't reference Edgeworth's past either. I want to assume that the writers were aware of it but didn't want to lock out new players from that sort of knowledge.

Also, I didn't mind too much because I was sick and tired of DL6 being referenced all of the time in past games.

I was rather surprised that 5-5 didn't reference Edgeworth's past either. I want to assume that the writers were aware of it but didn't want to lock out new players from that sort of knowledge.

Also, I didn't mind too much because I was sick and tired of DL6 being referenced all of the time in past games.

Eh maybe you're right.

This time was probably a better time than any to actually reference it. Well, not much we can do.

Just looking forward to the next AA game....

• 1 month later...

Another compilation with the first three games coming out, this time for 3DS.

Considering I already have the first three games and the 3DS is backwards compatible with DS games anyways, I'm probably not getting this if it ever gets released out of Japan.

But it's kinda convenient for those who want to try out the first three games, I guess.

Considering I already have the first three games and the 3DS is backwards compatible with DS games anyways, I'm probably not getting this if it ever gets released out of Japan.

But it's kinda convenient for those who want to try out the first three games, I guess.

I only have 1 and 3 on DS (2nd on Wiiware), so I'd buy it. Maybe they'll do the same for AAI?

Forty bucks!? That's more than double what you can get it on iOS, jesus christ.

Yeah, fuck that. I'd have bought in a heartbeat if they were full remakes but come on.

I own them on the DS.

And the Wii.

Why yes, I will buy them again.

I only have 1 and 3 on DS (2nd on Wiiware), so I'd buy it. Maybe they'll do the same for AAI?

*was given a grim reminder that we'll never get AAI2*

phoenix-emo.gif

I own them on the DS.

And the Wii.

Why yes, I will buy them again.

*was given a grim reminder that we'll never get AAI2*

phoenix-emo.gif

That's why I said it. It'd be the perfect opportunity to get it in the west.

Yeah, fuck that. I'd have bought in a heartbeat if they were full remakes but come on.

Well, the iOS versions cost more than double of what they're actually worth so...

But yeah, I've played the first 3 games several times already.

I'd say this is a better deal than what you get on iOS.

I know the ports are crap but this is literally nothing more than a ROM dump considering the system it's being released on.

It's an emulated port of a port of a game made in 2003, that really should not be a penny more than $5. This is way overpriced.

They really should have included AJ and both Edgeworth games to sweeten the deal. The Phoenix trilogy is already widely available on other platforms, so I can't get too excited for this.

I'll save my money for AA6 and whatever Takumi is working on.

It doesn't seem to be just a ROM dump seeing as it has a 3D effect.

It would've been great if they had remade them with AA5's graphics, but I'd settle for them letting me get through text as fast as with AA5. Oh, and being able to save and continue.

Also, some AA5 spoilers:

Did anyone else think Edgeworth looked weird? Most characters turned out great, but I thought he looked off.

It was still great to see him and Pearl, but I still miss Maya and Gumshoe. Hopefully they appear in 6. (And maybe Larry, too)

• Thumbs Up 1

I got into Phoenix Wright way late and haven't played the early games, so it's quite likely I'll get this if it comes to the west.  (I really need to finish Dual Destinies, though.  And by "finish," I mean "start."  Gosh darn it why are RPGs so long, I've been grinding through a couple for months now.)

Oh this is nice, maybe I wont need to buy the games on the DS anymore.

I mean if this gets here, since Capcom is so afraid of releasing AA games over here... 

I imagine that it would be relatively easy to bring over here, though, as presumably they can just reuse the original localised scripts?  Then it's a simple matter of making it a digital-only release on the eShop, splitting the games up so they can be purchased separately, and charging full price for each of them.  What could go wrong?

These even already have English on the Japanese version actually. Europe would still need the translations imported in. Though they could just ignore non-English languages like with AA5. Though that would be stupid and pointless.

image_detail_01_04.jpg

http://www.capcom.co.jp/gyakutensaiban/123/

give_it_to_me_stephen_colbert_zpsdff49ff

Looks pretty spiffy; might be using some of the iOS versions' assets (I think the animations are a bit more intact in the trailer though).  Let's hope the soundtrack survives (the iOS versions using the GBA quality soundtracks for 2&3, along with missing Pearl's theme entirely should be considered a criminal offense).

Anyone else think it's weird that the games are titled "Ace Attorney 123" rather than "Gyakuten Saiban 123"?

Is that implying a localisation or are Capcom just tripping balls? Seriously I don't think they call it Ace Attorney in Japan very often.